• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New VGC '16

bobandbill

one more time
Years
  • Whelp, that's... interesting. I hope we don't have a problem with Rayquaza making it too centralising - after all, while I don't follow the battle sim scene Rayquaza did kinda get banned from Ubers.... Yep, Rayquaza ain't banned, folks!

Interesting also that only ORAS games can be used (assuming Z can too when that releases) - I thought that XY was allowed last year?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today

Why did they think this was a good idea? The ban list is simply just event-only legendaries. I bet you they're banned more because they're not readily available on every game cartridge than anything else......which is not how you make a banlist. I never liked the VGC/cartridge banlist and was hoping that perhaps they were gonna change it to be more sensible, but this is no better than it was before.

Perhaps there's something about doubles where some of these Pokemon won't be broken or uncompetitive or something, but I have an extremely hard time believing that stuff like the Primal Weather Trio or Xerneas won't be at least a little bit bad for the meta. And I also highly doubt that stuff like Celebi or Phione would be bad for the VGC meta either.

.....make a doubles Zekrom team tho?

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
    Years

Why did they think this was a good idea? The ban list is simply just event-only legendaries. I bet you they're banned more because they're not readily available on every game cartridge than anything else......which is not how you make a banlist. I never liked the VGC/cartridge banlist and was hoping that perhaps they were gonna change it to be more sensible, but this is no better than it was before.

Perhaps there's something about doubles where some of these Pokemon won't be broken or uncompetitive or something, but I have an extremely hard time believing that stuff like the Primal Weather Trio or Xerneas won't be at least a little bit bad for the meta. And I also highly doubt that stuff like Celebi or Phione would be bad for the VGC meta either.

.....make a doubles Zekrom team tho?

Xerneas is surely going to be one of my team. Now I have to build for this season considering I know got going with last season. -_-

Sirfetch’d

So essentially mega Rayquaza and Primal Groudon are going to be on every team.

Why on earth would they ever think that this is a good idea?

skyburial

Orca Hype
    Years
  • Mega Rayquaza not so much, Primal Groudon yes. Xerneas definitely. Mega Ray is not as threatening in Doubles where there are no entry hazards.

From a marketing standpoint, it makes a helluva lot of sense that TPCi would allow the use of the mons on the front covers of their games and all over their merchandise. Centralizing the meta and creating balanced play for all - this is not the creators' motive. The Blue Pentagon rule was the first demonstration that their rules are based around equal access to strong Pokemon. This just ties it all up.

I have Alpha Sapphire so at least for my first PC this year I'm gonna give Primal Kyogre a shot. I'll probably see about switching to a Groudon archetype before February though.

Back