• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Question] Gonna make an android pokedex, and i have a question

Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2014
    Hey guys i'm gonna be fast.
    I'm thinking about making an android pokedex, with 3 versions

The free one
    The ad free one
    The premium one (more functionalities)

But of course, only the normal one will be free, the ads free one will cost 1$ and the premium one will cost 3$…

But my question is: would i be breaking the pokemon copyrights for making the paid versions? If so, that means i'm in trouble, right?

Ty for everything.
    I'll keep you updated of the progress of the game ;)

Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2014
    But my idea is that people can get the free one, but there will be a ads free (no problem on that one, i've seen people having a pokedex and then a pokedex ads free, for like, 1,49$ i think) but there is the premium version, which includes more features, and a minigame... Is that really a problem?
    If so i think i'm gonna give up the premium idea and just make the normal one and the ads free one...
    Ty for answering, i'll be waiting for more answers, and i'll tell everyone when i finish my "product"
    Bye :D

Edit: i just made a quick pass-by to google play and saw two pokedexs with a price tag... So i think making a pokedex isn't copyright violation... Am i right? Please i don't want to have problems with nintendo XD
    Help!

Last edited:

Gexeys

Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2015
    I've seen plenty of pokedex apps on the App Store which have a cost and ads with them, strictly speaking as Java's Missingno. has stated it is illegal. But on the other hand while I'm not saying you should, I can't see of any reason why your app will not pass either. As long as the features that you pay for like the ad free version and extra features are totally unrelated to the pokemon franchise I think you should be okay.

But basically don't ask for help here because if it's illegal no one will condone it.

I've seen plenty of pokedex apps on the App Store which have a cost and ads with them, strictly speaking as Java's Missingno. has stated it is illegal. But on the other hand while I'm not saying you should, I can't see of any reason why your app will not pass either. As long as the features that you pay for like the ad free version and extra features are totally unrelated to the pokemon franchise I think you should be okay.

But basically don't ask for help here because if it's illegal no one will condone it.

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
    Years
  • But my idea is that people can get the free one, but there will be a ads free (no problem on that one, i've seen people having a pokedex and then a pokedex ads free, for like, 1,49$ i think) but there is the premium version, which includes more features, and a minigame... Is that really a problem?
    Yes, it's really a problem. If you're making a profit, even by just putting ads which pay you on a free-to-use app, you're violating IP law.
    If so i think i'm gonna give up the premium idea and just make the normal one and the ads free one...
    Ty for answering, i'll be waiting for more answers, and i'll tell everyone when i finish my "product"
    Bye :D

Edit: i just made a quick pass-by to google play and saw two pokedexs with a price tag... So i think making a pokedex isn't copyright violation... Am i right? Please i don't want to have problems with nintendo XD
    Help!
    It's a copyright violation, and if they were making any significant profit, they'd be slapped with legal action. HARD. You're waiting for someone to affirm you in your actions when you're now explicitly aware it's illegal. That's really what it boils down to. If you want to release the app, there is no magical barrier that will stop you, but you're likely to either make little to no profit or face legal action. The video game industry is a very harsh place from a legality standpoint. (King is a great example if you're wanting a cautionary tale; they went around picking legal fights that most folks can't afford earlier in the year. For a more direct example, I believe that a member here got issued a C&D for their free fangame, Pokemon.. Evoas, I think?)

pkmn.master

Hobbyist Game Developer
    Years
  • Yes, it's really a problem. If you're making a profit, even by just putting ads which pay you on a free-to-use app, you're violating IP law.

It's a copyright violation, and if they were making any significant profit, they'd be slapped with legal action. HARD. You're waiting for someone to affirm you in your actions when you're now explicitly aware it's illegal. That's really what it boils down to. If you want to release the app, there is no magical barrier that will stop you, but you're likely to either make little to no profit or face legal action. The video game industry is a very harsh place from a legality standpoint. (King is a great example if you're wanting a cautionary tale; they went around picking legal fights that most folks can't afford earlier in the year. For a more direct example, I believe that a member here got issued a C&D for their free fangame, Pokemon.. Evoas, I think?)

Ad revenue usually isn't as serious. Take YouTube for example. Thousands (including myself) make ad revenue in their Pokemon/Warcraft/Counter Strike/ Call of whatevers. Usually, the company that owns the IP will not take action unless it becomes popular in a way that they see damaging to the IP itself. At worst, you will be slapped with cease and desist, which isn't quite a big deal as long as you remove the app. Hell, if ads damn fan work, then Pokecommunity is in for a C&D one of these days.

Back