• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which game to start with?

Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2016
    Alright - you got me. I'm back. I'm going to pick up Pokemon for the first time since red and blue.

Where to start on the 3DS?

Is choosing your first Pokemon still as hard as it used to be? WHAT IF I CHOOSE THE WRONG ONE!? o_O

Thanks in advance!
    HmR

L'Belle

I am beauty!
    Years
  • I think Pokémon X or Y is a very nice choice for you. It may turn out nostalgic! Choosing pokémon can still be hard, but I have a clear favourite :)

Dracowyn

Hell's Traffic Accident
    Years
  • I'd also pick X or Y if I were you. They added quite some stuff for the old fans.

Picking your starter is still hard, but because breeding was added in Gold and Silver and wifi tradig in Pearl and Diamond, getting the other starters isn't as hard as it was back in the days or Red and Blue.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Platinum or HeartGold/Soul Silver, I say. Largely because the slower speed (The general movement of literally everything) is slower and harder to get into after the fact. Plus they're pretty solid entries, so I would recommend them regardless.

But if you mean titles specifically for the 3DS, ORAS, certainly. The games reliance on HMs is VERY noticeable after XY. Even having loved Emerald as a kid, it did bother me after the time I spent with XY.

Delta231

A noob
    Years
  • I start with Emerald and choose Mudkip by mistake and later when it evolved into Swampert and it was very powerful and cool so my favorite Pokemon is Swampert

Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2016
    Man there's a lot to chose from - its crazy how much it can change over time. I think X and Y may be the go - thanks for all your help!

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Best to start from X & Y it explains a lot about mega evolution. but you can skip that and play the remake of RSE because XY gym leaders and elite four just being easy peasy

smocks

fiat lux
    Years
  • I say either Pokemon HeartGold&SoulSilver or XY, because they have peeks of Kanto I think you'll enjoy :)
    But after those two play Platinum and Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire! :)

Then Sun & Moon! :D

Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2016
    My girlfriend got me a 3DS of Christmas as well as Y. It was fucking awesome, and I would highly recommend playing X or Y before ORAS.

Years
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Feb 17, 2021
    I'd suggest either Black, White, B2, or W2. Black and White are basically series reboots, and B2 and W2 are in my opinion the closest to perfect Pokemon games that are out there. All, however, are fantastic games that are fun, feature-rich, and feature a good amount of difficulty without being too grindy. 6th gen is ridiculously easy and kind of shallow, so I'd recommend you play those later.

Back