• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Dark and Steel-types

Years
  • In Pokémon Gold, Silver and Crystal, two new types were added to the 15 types that already existed in Generation I: the Dark-type and the Steel-type. It was said that these types were added to balance out the Psychic-type (along with the cut to the special stat), which was disastrously overpowered in those games. Magnemite and Magneton were given Steel-typings, while Johto introduced some new Pokémon of those very types for you to work with.

What were your thoughts on these typings being introduced? Did you ever use Pokémon of them back in this very day? Discuss.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    I must say that I'm glad with these types. They provided a much needed nerf to the then overpowered Psychic type. They also come with great Pokemon, like Tyranitar and Houndoom for the Dark type, and Magneton, Skarmory, Scizor, and Steelix for the Steel type.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • Dark and Steel are among my favourite types, next to Flying. I love them. Some of my favourite dark and steels were released in G/S/C too, like Murkrow, Umbreon, Houndoom and Skarmory.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Back then, I did not care for these kind of things—my main focus was towards Pokémon design—so dark- and steel-types being added didn't affect me a whole lot, unfortunately. I haven't actually noticed that they were there in Gold, Silver, and Crystal until generation three, which was introduced few years later, aha.

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2022
    Looking back, it was a great addition. But then, I didn't really pay much attention to type matchups.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • Eh, I'm not really a fan. The only steel type I like is Scizor and the only dark type I ever use is Tyranitar but it's just so tedious to get them that I don't bother and the types are now just another reason for me to keep a fighting type on my team instead of something else.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I know back then I was a bit into it because hey it was new. I was excited for Steel types as they have become my second favorite type with Electric be my first. So YAY for Magnemite and Magneton...lol.

RivalGator

I hate them all.
    Years
  • I was horribly excited for the Dark types because I loved each and every one of them in that generation. I liked Steelix a whole lot, but Sneasel, Houndour/Houndoom, and Murkrow were amazing.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I was really blown away by there being new types, but I loved the designs so I welcomed them lol. At the time I preferred dark types just because of the name and how they were made to be mischievous, but over time I've actually come to prefer steel types. I'd consider steel to be my second favorite type. I still like dark types, but none of them really strike me. I loved Steelix the moment I saw it and it's still one of my top favorites.

Astraea

The Storm of Friendship
    Years
  • Adding those types was a good idea, we got good counters for Psychic and poison types.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I wasn't sure about the types being added at the time, but in retrospect, I think introducing them was a good idea. I also liked the variety of new Pokémon who embodied the qualities of these new types. Psychic was far too powerful in RBY, and the new types helped bring it down a bit (though I still miss Mewtwo being as beastly as it was in gen I).

I didn't use steel types much at the time, though I like some of the dark types (especially Tyranitar). Many of the Dark and Steel Pokémon were hard to get until later in the games, though, so I didn't tend to use them on teams in-game as much as I might have liked to.

The new types (especially Steel) probably contributed to the more defensive nature of the metagame in gen II (though I didn't personally play or train competitively then), and I have mixed feelings about that. But overall, Dark and Steel helped balance out gen I, and reflected an effort on GF's part to improve the series.

Fairy types, on the other hand, I'm still not used to...

ZoneX

Spriter
    Years
  • Dark and Steel types were cool additions!! I even remember there were only 3 Steel type moves when playing GSC!! I always felt there should be a Dark-type gym though!! That would be so cool wandering through a pitch-black gym to confront a shady leader who fights dirty! Oh we'll... Just have to wait til' I get to the E4(Karen, Sydney, Grimsley) I guess.

Now there's Fairy-types which I agree with Imperator161 in saying I'm not used too either. I think it's a little too sugar coated for my taste!!

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • Two of my favourite types introduced in one of my favourite regions...who could be happier? I love these two types - they're edgy, cool and can prove to be quite strong in battle!

Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2017
    I like steel pokemons. ^^
    I want an magneton in my crystal version team. :3

Years
  • I never really got too much usage out of these types in the original games. Although I love my Houndoom, it was disappointing that it came really late in the game, not even until Kanto where you likely already had a full team. Steel-types having lots of resistances were also good but most of them weren't easy to get, except Magnemite's evolution line which was there.

Years
  • I greatly enjoyed the new additions. I played the hell out of the original Red, and I remember thinking that the game was kind of lacking when it came to types. When Dark and Steel were introduced, I was satisfied. You know how long it's been since a sequel came out that actually satisfied me?

Ycia

Metal Generation.♥
    Years
  • I don't really care about steel types back then, I remember using a steel type move against some Pokemon and most of the time, it's not very effective, ofcourse there's a type matching, but as a kid, I don't really know much about type weaknesses. :P
    Scizor is cool tho.

Back