• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Catching Pok?mon

Laguna

Sir Zangoose
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Aug 31, 2016
Catching Pokémon

How do you go about getting pokémon? Do you only catch whatever you want to use for your team or do you just go and catch everything you can on a given route?

I tend to catch only a couple pokémon for a team to beat the game. I usually only go for pokédex completion after I beat the champion unless it's FireRed/LeafGreen and you have to catch enough for the National Dex.

KetsuekiR

Ridiculously unsure
Years
If I know that a certain Pokemon exists in a route and if I want said Pokemon, I spend as long as it takes to find it and catch it! That said, I catch anything I find that interests me, even if I never plan on using it xD

AkameTheBulbasaur

Akame Marukawa of Iyotono
Years
I usually catch everything on the route that I don't have yet (provided I have enough Pokeballs) regardless. I can just go to the PC and deposit it if I don't plan on using it. Usually for my play throughs I try to get a balance in terms of types so I don't have one big glaring weakness. I usually pick either Dragons or Canine/Feline Pokemon because I think those look the coolest.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
I don't catch pokemon on beginning route unless it's flying-type and I ignore caterpie or weedle line expect weelde get stab and caterpie just isn't good wrecking stuff. Only on future route I will catch some decent mons

Gremlin

Shiny Hunter
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 8, 2015
I usually only catch the ones I like while going through the game, but after that go on a catching spree when trying to fill the national dex xD

pkmin3033

Unless I run into something rare, I tend to leave all of my catching for postgame; partly because if I didn't it'd take me forever to finish the game, and also because I can't afford the Pokeballs that early on. Endgame I just buy a ton of Ultra and Dusk balls and go crazy. Whilst I'm playing through the story I only have a half dozen on hand at any given time.

Years
» run into pokemon
» "Oh hey, I don't have that one yet, I better catch it right now."
» proceed to throw hopefully not too many pokeballs at it

I figure I might as well try to catch them as I come upon them, just so I don't forget to get them later on. Going back just for catching seems like a bit of a chore to me. Also, I never know if one of them might actually come in handy some time later.

Years
I don't catch anything that isn't going on my team until finishing the Pokemon League. This is because my money is prioritized for spending on healing items/TMs, so I don't usually have a stock of Pokeballs other than the ones received from NPCs during this time.

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 18, 2017
Generally I won't go around seriously catching anything until after I've completed the Pokemon League. At which point I'll start going though the routes catching and naming Pokemon. They're so cute, I wish I could have a million of them!

Years
In normal playthroughs, i'll basically catch whatever I see if I don't have it and can burn Poké Balls on it. But as a challenger, I still try to catch anything I can use, but I attempt to keep my options in mind and use what I find myself wanting to use the most - usually stuff I haven't used (much) before.

Years
I always try and catch any Pokemon I can get, because collecting so many Pokemon is fun and it's always great to rotate your team every now and then.

Back