• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

UU Sun Team

Asrodrig

#1 Meowth fan
Years
Let me know what you think.

Spr_4h_038.png

Lead: Ninetales @ Heat Rock
(Timid) 4 HP/252 SpA/252 Speed
Sunny Day, Energy Ball, Hypnosis, Flamethrower

Who doesn't love Ninetales? The idea is to Hypnosis something, set up Sunny Day, and then hit with the other two attacks, which hit every type for at least neutral damage except Fire (of which there are few, thanks to Stealth Rock's prevalence) and Dragon (again, there's hardly any in the UU tier). If I'm lucky, I can switch him out for something, and then bring him back on a predicted Fire-type move for an added bonus. I'm debating equipping him with a Wide Lens instead of a Heat Rock to give him a better chance of getting that first Hypnosis, but I don't think it's worth it...

Spr_4p_465_f.png

Special Attacker: Tangrowth @ Life Orb
(Modest) 32 HP/252 SpA/224 Speed
Solarbeam, HPFire, Synthesis, Ancientpower

Tangrowth has a great Special Attack stat, so he's my main Special Attacker after Ninetales does what he has to do. After Chlorophyll activates, his poor speed gets a boost, and he becomes quite nasty. Solarbeam, HPFire, and Ancientpower give flawless type coverage and as an added bonus, the chance of getting an all-around stat boost. The only thing I'm not 100% sure of is his item, the Life Orb. Perhaps there's a better choice out there, but I don't know it...

Spr_4h_232_m.png

Spinner: Donphan @ Leftovers
(Adamant) 252 HP/252 Attk/4 Speed
Rapid Spin, Assurance, Earthquake, Ice Shard

Donphan is my main defense against entry hazards, since they can wreak havoc if left unremoved. Earthquake is powerful STAB and possibly can hit Rock-types setting up Stealth Rock before they can set up. Assurance hits Spin-blockers such as Rotom or Froslass, and Ice Shard is a good priority move against enemy Grass-types trying to use my sun to their advantage.

Spr_4p_464_m.png

Support: Rhyperior @ Heat Rock
(Impish) 244 HP/184 Def/80 SpD
Stealth Rock, Sunny Day, Thunder Fang, Ice Fang

While Donphan removes entry hazards, Rhyperior sets up some of his own. He also has Sunny Day to back up Ninetales, and the physical version of the BoltBeam combo to capitalize on his good Attack stat. I don't know if that's recommended on a Pokemon as slow as Rhyperior, but there's not much option for Electric and Ice-type attacks anywhere else on my team.

Spr_4p_470.png

Support: Leafeon @ Leftovers
(Impish) 4 HP/252 Def/252 Speed
Baton Pass, Wish, Leaf Blade, Roar

Leafeon has good synergy with Rhyperior because of Roar, which helps stack up the damage from Stealth Rock. Since pretty much all of the spinners in UU are Rock and/or Water type, Leaf Blade is an excellent attack to have, made even more excellent by Leafeon's impressive attack stat. And let's not forget he ignores statuses in the sun.

Spr_4d_257_m.png

Mixed Attacker: Blaziken @ Expert Belt
(Rash) 192 Attk/252 SpA/64 Speed
Flare Blitz, Focus Blast, Shadow Claw, Solarbeam

Out of everyone, Blaziken is the one I'm the least sure of. For now, I feel he is decently equipped to handle both Physical and Special walls, but I can't help but think that there's a better option.

So, please leave your feedback!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
The lack of STAB hurts on Rhyperior. I suggest you replace it with Ambipom (as a lead; Ninetales can be kept in reserve):
-Fake Out
-Sunny Day
-U-turn
-Double Hit/Return
Nature: Jolly
Item: Heat Rock
EVs: 252 HP/4 Atk/252 Spe
Ability: Technician

Blaziken is better with Fire Blast as its Fire move and Superpower/Sky Uppercut as its Fighting move.

Opposite Day

too old for name changes
Years
Yeah, I'm agreeing kinda with Platinumdude in that Ninetales isn't necessarily doing too much as a lead, since it loses to faster ones with Taunt (i.e Electrode and Ambipom), as well as losing to the ones with Trick if you choose to hypnosis the first turn (i.e Uxie and Mesprit) Ambipom is probably one of the nicest sunny day-setuppers, so I'd suggest using that over Ninetales.
Tangrowth is a good sunny day sweeper, so I'd keep that especially considering how it just *might* pack Power Whip, meaning that Chansey won't switch in trying to wall you at least immediately, but afterwards it will.
I'd suggest using Rhyperior's STAB moves over the elemental fangs, they'll do more even if they are neutral compared to a se hit on the target. Earthquake and Stone Edge/Rock Blast will likely serve you well, granted, while the coverage from boltbeam is nice, it's not like you absolutely have to run electric/ice attacks on any team.

You'll also need to consider what you'll do after the sun is up, however. While Tangrowth is a monster in the sun, it is damn slow outside of it. Swellow will outspeed and possibly ohko 4/6 of your team w/ sr ((79.64% - 94.01%) <- jolly brave bird vs leafeon about 40% chance to ohko), and while the sun is up foe Exeggutor sweeps you with glee with a simple Psychic|Solarbeam|HP Fire|Sleep Powder set, hitting 5/6 of your team either for SE damage, and killing off Ambipom easily despite Fake Out.

To remedy this issue I'd suggest adding a Mixed Nasty Plot Houndoom or a Morning Sun Arcanine over EITHER Rhyperior or Donphan, depending on whether you prefer being even more offensive or if you'd want to take a more defensive approach to your sunny day team.

Houndoom @ Life Orb
Nature: Hasty
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 96 Attack | 186 Special Attack | 224 Speed
~ Nasty Plot
~ Fire Blast
~ Dark Pulse
~ Sucker Punch

Nasty Plot Houndoom hits Exeggutor for SE damage given that it has already slept something (and it might try to outstall your Sucker Punches, but then you Dark Pulse it and everything is okay :x), and in the sun it 2hko's Chansey with a np Fire Blast, allowing Tangrowth to sweep that much easier afterwards. It also helps a bit vs Swellow given that it doesn't run Quick Attack, as Houndoom's Sucker Punch is actually quite strong. Sucker Punch also allows you to hit Choice Scarf Rotom that might otherwise outspeed Tangrowth in the sun and rip it a new one with Shadow Ball. If you use this, scrap Donphan. I'd also suggest slapping a Choice Scarf on Blaziken to prevent Heracross from doing too much to your team, and it helps out with the swellow issue as well. (C+P'd this from smogon, so a description is there)

Blaziken @ Choice Scarf
Nature: Rash / Mild
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 84 Atk / 184 SpA / 240 Spe
~ Fire Blast
~ Superpower
~ ThunderPunch / Stone Edge
~ Hidden Power Ice

OR

Arcanine @ Life Orb/Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire/Intimidate
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 64 HP | 252 Atk | 192 Spe
~ Flare Blitz
~ ExtremeSpeed
~ Morning Sun
~ Sunny Day

Arcanine is good since it resists/is immune to the common combination of Solarbeam/HP Fire, so it helps you out against opposing Sunny Day'ers. It's ev'd to outspeed Jolly Heracross, which would otherwise be quite annoying to your team as it has a very decent S.Def, that can possibly allow it to take a HP Fire and live >:/ This gives you a quite reliable mid-game Sunny Day-er, as most of the things that are going to switch into it (e.g Milotic) will have its stab weakened as well as getting hit even harder by a boosted Flare Blitz. Morning Sun heals off Life Orb/Flare Blitz damage w/ 66% in the sun, obv, but will also allow Arcanine to stick along for longer than you probably thought. You could always tweak the speed EVs to 216 Speed|32 HP in order to outspeed Moltres, depends on your tastes.

I'd also like to add that Moltres over Blaziken could make a fine addition if you choose to run Donphan with Arcanine, as Moltres really appreciates the spin support, and it can do a crapload of damage in the sun as well. Considering how the main methods of checking it is Stealth Rock and Aqua Jet, the latter of which is weakened in the sun, Moltres will most likely not disappoint you. A simple LO Roost set could work out, with Fire Blast, Air Slash, and HP Grass.

Summa summarum:
Try using Ambipom over Ninetales as a lead.
If you are going to use Houndoom, you could scarf Blaziken (as insurance vs. Heracross n' Swellow) and replace Donphan.
If you are using Arcanine, replace Rhyperior and add Moltres over Blaziken)

sorry if this was kinda big, I'm having trouble restricting myself :c Good luck with your team!

Last edited:
Back