• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Theory] The Pokeball- can it exist in real life?

Years
  • Hello pokemon fans, (especially those of you who like theories)
    rollerman3 here, but you can call me roller to make things more simple. Not that this thread is at all simple, though.

Let me just begin by saying that this website could use a few more theories. Don't get me wrong, there are a few, like the ditto-mew relation, but other than that it didn't seem like anyone was trying to make a legitimate theory. No offense to you guys. So here is my theory, and it is on a real life pokeball. Keep in mind that there will be some holes in this theory, since it's not 100% completed, and there will also be a few things you wouldn't expect from a pokeball, and even a dark note.

Here we go...
    So, to create a real life pokeball, we need to cover a few topics: Retrieving/sending out pokemon, storing pokemon, catching pokemon, the energy source, and what a pokeball actually does to a pokemon while it's inside. First, let's talk about storing pokemon, because I consider that to be the glue that holds everything together. For those of you who thought pokeballs were portals to another dimension, sorry, but that's physicallly impossible. Those of you who thought that pokemon were stored as energy or data, well, you're kinda right. Those of you who thought they would be stored as both data AND energy, good job! You were right! To store a pokemon in a pokeball, we would need to break it up into energy and record its data and dna sequence and stuff. How this works is something I don't quite know yet, although feel free to fill in the blank. To do this, we would literally need to install a supercomputer. The reason being that this would take up HUNDREDS OF TERABYTES. That's right, terabytes. For those of you who don't know how much that is, well, that's 1,000,000 megabytes. Kinda impractical, but hey, can you think of another way? (if you can, that's great, put it in the comments please.) Now, we will talk about the energy source. This could work as one of two ways: 1=Wireless energy. Although weak, it pretty much constantly would charge that iphone of yours, no matter where you are. Cool, right? 2=A molecule I learned about while watching a video on a real life lightsaber theory. This molecule, I don't remember the name, but I can get it later... Anyway, it is very small but has a LOT of energy. So the down side to this is that it has a limit, while the other doesn't, but you can use more energy at a time. So that pretty much covers energy.

Phew, this is a lot of work. Let me know if you guys want more of my theory and I will get back to you this weekend (:
    Bye!

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
  • Also you would need to make it be able to change size. Pokeballs go from golf ball size to the size of a Christmas ornament with just the click of a button. And then there's the instantaneous conversion from matter to energy and data, and the capture rate. How would the Pokemon be able to fight and break out of the ball? How would the different balls like Dusk Ball and Nest Ball work in real life? Is there a sensor telling the ball that it's dark or that the Pokemon it's used on is weaker than the Pokemon currently in battle?

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    Hello pokemon fans, (especially those of you who like theories)
    rollerman3 here, but you can call me roller to make things more simple. Not that this thread is at all simple, though.

Let me just begin by saying that this website could use a few more theories. Don't get me wrong, there are a few, like the ditto-mew relation, but other than that it didn't seem like anyone was trying to make a legitimate theory. No offense to you guys. So here is my theory, and it is on a real life pokeball. Keep in mind that there will be some holes in this theory, since it's not 100% completed, and there will also be a few things you wouldn't expect from a pokeball, and even a dark note.

Here we go...
    So, to create a real life pokeball, we need to cover a few topics: Retrieving/sending out pokemon, storing pokemon, catching pokemon, the energy source, and what a pokeball actually does to a pokemon while it's inside. First, let's talk about storing pokemon, because I consider that to be the glue that holds everything together. For those of you who thought pokeballs were portals to another dimension, sorry, but that's physicallly impossible. Those of you who thought that pokemon were stored as energy or data, well, you're kinda right. Those of you who thought they would be stored as both data AND energy, good job! You were right! To store a pokemon in a pokeball, we would need to break it up into energy and record its data and dna sequence and stuff. How this works is something I don't quite know yet, although feel free to fill in the blank. To do this, we would literally need to install a supercomputer. The reason being that this would take up HUNDREDS OF TERABYTES. That's right, terabytes. For those of you who don't know how much that is, well, that's 1,000,000 megabytes. Kinda impractical, but hey, can you think of another way? (if you can, that's great, put it in the comments please.) Now, we will talk about the energy source. This could work as one of two ways: 1=Wireless energy. Although weak, it pretty much constantly would charge that iphone of yours, no matter where you are. Cool, right? 2=A molecule I learned about while watching a video on a real life lightsaber theory. This molecule, I don't remember the name, but I can get it later... Anyway, it is very small but has a LOT of energy. So the down side to this is that it has a limit, while the other doesn't, but you can use more energy at a time. So that pretty much covers energy.

Phew, this is a lot of work. Let me know if you guys want more of my theory and I will get back to you this weekend (:
    Bye!

We will talk about this after scientist successfully invent ''Small Light'' (Doreamon).

Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2015
    1) The pokeball changing size is minor issue, that exist already.

2) We actually saw in the anime what happens inside the pokeball. You'll either need to createa miniature black hole to create a pocket-dimension,what seems to be impossible, OR you must create the Matrix.

3) You don't have to store energy of the object, merely the data necessary to recreate an object. A pokeball is very likely similar to StarTrek's teleporting (the energy/matter have to be stored at the central device).
    Btw, no need to try scaring people with terrabytes, a good server has tons of those, and don't take more space than a cabinet.

4) Energy is not problem in the pokeball itself, which in real life would only be a beacon-device. Although beats me how you transfer enough energy to remote materialization.
    No, your sci-fi molecule would never work. You basically talk about a portable atomic reactor, but that is impossible in pokeball-size.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • The Pokemon can't actually be inside the Pokeball. A Snorlax inside a Pokeball would mean the Pokeball would weigh 1014 pounds. Even if it "shrinks" the Pokemon to a size such that fits it the ball, the law of conservation of mass dictates that all the Pokemon's mass would be conserved.

The only possibilities would be a pocket dimension, or converting the Poke into energy, which would be a dangerously large amount of energy. It wouldn't be safe unless they had some incredibly stable form of energy to store it as.

So, pocket dimension seems to be the most feasible method (to the extent that you could call such a thing feasible xD)

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
  • For those of you who thought pokeballs were portals to another dimension, sorry, but that's physicallly impossible. Those of you who thought that pokemon were stored as energy or data, well, you're kinda right. Those of you who thought they would be stored as both data AND energy, good job! You were right! To store a pokemon in a pokeball, we would need to break it up into energy and record its data and dna sequence and stuff. How this works is something I don't quite know yet, although feel free to fill in the blank.

Storage is where I see the problem. It's not how the data is stored, that'll probably be easily compiled and compressed. The question is, where do you keep the Pokémon itself? According to the principle of mass conservation, you cannot simply make objects disappear without making something reappear with the same weight. Data stored in the PokéBall would be a change in the zeros and ones stored inside, but those data will be equally sized as it's empty, probably showing only zeros, so this doesn't give a mass change.

There is however an option to convert the mass to pure energy using the formula E=mc2, which shows the energy equals the mass times the square of the speed of light which has a size of about 300,000,000 meters per second. A Bulbasaur, weighing 6.9 kilograms (15.2 lbs), completely converting to energy gives 6.2×1017 Joules of energy. To give a slight idea about how much energy that is, it'd be enough to heat about 2,000,000,000,000 liters of water from room temperature to its boiling point, which it a lot. And then I only picked Bulbasaur, a Groudon weights even 138 times as much, giving an equal factor of energy extra.

So no, I don't think it'll be possible to have PokéBalls in real life, I'm sorry.

Back