• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Monologue Prologue Vs. Future Prologue

Infiltrat0rN7

Legion
Years
Greetings. I am in need of assistance once more, the fic still being my "trainer fic", except there is an issue of prologues.

If I write a fic involving a pokemon journey, a distinction should be made early on to indicate that this story is different. To achieve this distinction, I must utilise a prologue.

The indecision arises from the two types of prologues I can think of. There are two types I am considering. A monologue prologue and a future prologue. Now, both of these are terms I coined on the spot, so don't expect to find anything with google (other than this thread).

A monologue prologue is simply put a monologue. A future prologue is an event which happens near the climax of the story. Both have their strengths.

A monologue prologue, if done properly can help lay the foundations of your character. With a monologue, the character seems more rich. He is communicating to the reader with his thoughts, in a direct serious fashion which can only be replicated in an epilogue.

A future prologue, if executed properly can lead the reader into the story with a desire to find out what exactly happened. This will net more readers as they will want to find out what happens, and gives the base for a stronger plot than the norm.

Since monologue and future prologues are terms I conjured on the spot I might as well give examples to make up for my lacking descriptions.

Monologue prologue:
I think we can all agree that the highest praise is due to those who have fought their way to greatness from obscurity—who have pulled themselves up by their own bootstraps—clothed themselves in power, and proven themselves worthy of that authority. I entered Spain with only a handful of men, fought bravely, proved myself a leader, and eventually—as a result of my exploits—was honored with the supreme command.
~Lucien

Future prologue:
The penguin pushed itself onto it's torn feet. My pokemon were at my side instantly. Eres had lightning lashing out of his body and there were icy fists hovering beside me. Eres hissed at the penguin daring it to move.

It's eye glowed blue as it settled on me. Utterly disregarding the threat my pokemon posed, it waddled closer to me before stopping.

It then laughed.

Unquestionably, it was the Demon's laugh.

tl;dr
Is a monologue better to set a distinction or a scene near the climax of the story.

I would sincerely appreciate if you give me any feedback that comes to your mind.

Last edited:

Infiltrat0rN7

Legion
Years
No need to answer anymore! I decided on trying a "monologue prologue". If you care about the details feel free to ask me. If you still want to give an opinion go ahead.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
I do believe that "future prologue" is actually a well-known term, since I did find it by googling and I read about it in a book.

Right now, both of your examples read like a future prologue. It's more like the monologue one is more character-focused, and what you showed for a future prologue is action-oriented. In your example of the monologue, you set up that the story will be about the character getting the honor of supreme command, so the reader will be interested in that story.

To me, it seems more like a question of writing style. Like I said, in your example of monologue, the style is focused more on the character. In the other one, it's focused more on the action of the battle. So the answer would be more about the story that you want to write.

Since you picked the more character-focused one, it'll be great to see the rest of your story written that way. Quite a few trainer fics tend to brush over the characterization of everyone and are much more action, getting the story done as fast as possible. Your choice has already started the distinction of your fic compared to others, and I'm looking forward to seeing what else you come up with.

Infiltrat0rN7

Legion
Years
Thanks for the reply.

Right now, both of your examples read like a future prologue. It's more like the monologue one is more character-focused, and what you showed for a future prologue is action-oriented.

Both of them in essence, can be a future prologue, both happen in the future. The monologue though, is generally written after the events of the story, where as the future prologue is a snippet from the climax of the story.

Your choice has already started the distinction of your fic compared to others, and I'm looking forward to seeing what else you come up with.

Geez, now I have someone to impress.

Anyway, thanks again.

Back