• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sprites Blurry in Chrome on Surface

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
  • Hi, I have a surface book that's pretty new. I like it a lot but I noticed that sprites and images when viewed on Chrome are a LOT blurrier than they were when I view them on a Mac. I currently have the default settings and I've been playing around with resolution and scaling, but nothing helps, really. Please help?

Current settings: 3000x2000 resolution, 200% scaling (recommended and default settings)
    Sprite view: http://prnt.sc/cit92c

Was told to try 100% scaling, but it made everything super tiny and very unreadable: http://prnt.sc/cita1j

Please help? I really love my Surface Book but I really miss how websites looked on Macs, especially because I do a lot of work in Photoshop, it's kind of inconvenient when graphics are blurry... thanks!

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • I don't think it's a bug or glitch.

I think it's a difference in how Windows and OSX handle image processing; and the difference in some programs and how they individually handle things. In Windows; applications have a lot more freedom to compose things in various ways. Perhaps Chrome itself doesn't quite do the best job at scaling to your resolution, it sounds like a non-native or unusual resolution. Perhaps try viewing the image in fullscreen [F11] mode; or try viewing it in Windows Photo Viewer or Photoshop if you have it for Windows to see it in a context where the application may be much more mindful of the resolution and color gamut than a Browser would be.

Sometimes for performance reasons, browsers may choose lazier or less detailed processing for performance reasons. You may also be experiencing; if the filetype is JPEG, a progressively loading file.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I don't think it's a bug or glitch.

I think it's a difference in how Windows and OSX handle image processing; and the difference in some programs and how they individually handle things. In Windows; applications have a lot more freedom to compose things in various ways. Perhaps Chrome itself doesn't quite do the best job at scaling to your resolution, it sounds like a non-native or unusual resolution. Perhaps try viewing the image in fullscreen [F11] mode; or try viewing it in Windows Photo Viewer or Photoshop if you have it for Windows to see it in a context where the application may be much more mindful of the resolution and color gamut than a Browser would be.

Sometimes for performance reasons, browsers may choose lazier or less detailed processing for performance reasons. You may also be experiencing; if the filetype is JPEG, a progressively loading file.

I would agree with you but the images also look quite blurry in windows photo viewer. I would try looking in Photoshop but I don't have it anymore on my new computer. The only images that don't look blurry are the ones on my desktop--the app icons look really crisp as well as the text associated with them.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • Keep in mind that on a PC; you are not viewing on a retina display

Some adjustment to this may be required. You may try to shop in the future for PCs that offer better displays, or displays at closer to native resolutions. Not every program for windows is going to be specifically optimized for displaying images at 4K resolutions.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Just have to make note that the display IS a high DPI/PPI display (retina is just a marketing term) and it makes a lot of sense to have items at double size (this is preferred, actually).

Anyway, that blurriness will not be able to fixed all the time. While more and more things are getting HiDPI aware as we speak, for things like sprite's on a web page, there's not much you can do about it, as browsers almost always interpolate things when scaling up images, potentially causing blurriness on things normally intended to be pixel perfect. I just live with seeing things like that when I'm on my phone.

Don't expect display issues with pixel art to be ever fixed.

Back