• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fiction

Shamol

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.
Years
  • I never understood the appeal of the fiction genre, tbh. I understand it's enjoyable, but the idea of committing yourself to a long book (or series of books) about events that never happened and things that don't exist always struck me as counterintuitive. I understand there are some caveats to this- many people would want to read fiction not for the plot or story, but for other reasons like its literary/artistic merit, to know how it addresses tangible social and human concerns (Narnia and Animal Farm come to mind). But I don't understand reading fiction just for the sake of an extended setting or plot.

Any fiction lover care to explain your perspective to me?

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    I don't read much but I play a lot of games which are typically fiction based. I like them because you get to experience something that you would never in the real world. I'm sure that is part of the appeal of fiction novels. You get wrapped into a world you could never experience outside of that book.

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
  • fiction can be used as an avenue to comment on real-life issues if that's what concerns you. I get into fiction mainly because I enjoy getting sucked into a world or a different atmosphere; the fact that none of this shit actually happened is completely irrelevant to me. I like to see what the author (or creator) does with the characters they've envisioned. the world they have sculpted. the images they convey. the EMOTIONS they evoke. (possibly the most important part imo)

Years
  • Suspension of (dis)belief. While you read it you can forget that it's not real. It's not like everything non-fiction is real anyway. Memoirs, for instance, are full of made-up, mis-remembered things. Fiction is really all over the place already. Movies and television are mostly fiction, so are most jokes. The stories and feelings conveyed by music are often also created specifically to evoke a certain feeling or reaction in you, like all art. I guess what I'm saying is that most art is fiction.

I guess the main appeal of fiction is in the underlying assumption that it will make sense (good fiction anyway) and have some kind of meaning or message or takeaway. You get the sense that within the world of fiction there is some kind of structure or narrative. Or if not that, then you can have the enjoyment of being surprised by what happens, or, as in mysteries, trying to guess or suss out the answers to questions posed by the story.

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    I never understood the appeal of the fiction genre, tbh. I understand it's enjoyable, but the idea of committing yourself to a long book (or series of books) about events that never happened and things that don't exist always struck me as counterintuitive.

So let's turn this question around. What do you personally gain from reading about something that happened that you never personally experienced or felt the impact on beyond a personal gain or new understanding? Because for a lot of fiction readers, this is what fiction provides. Science fiction in particular is a great way to look at the world through certain lenses that cast problems in extremes. An author can convey meanings and messages through their works that encourage people or simply broaden their perspective and appreciation for various facets of life.

Whether these things actually happened or not is a completely moot point because the way the works are written are capable of inspiring very real change in people.

Shamol

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.
    Years
  • Thanks for your replies, guys! I see where you are coming from, however I wanted to give my perspective on some of the issues you've mentioned.

So let's turn this question around. What do you personally gain from reading about something that happened that you never personally experienced or felt the impact on beyond a personal gain or new understanding?

If I understand you correctly, there are many ways of answering that question, and answers would vary depending on which specific genre of non-fiction we're talking about. I think all of these answers at the end of the day would have a common theme, the intrinsic value of knowledge. Learning about science or history or philosophy is valuable precisely because these involve mulling over of things that in fact exist or events that in fact took place. For me personally, this concrete ontology is very important, because it can guide our actions in this world in a tangible and robust way.

I get into fiction mainly because I enjoy getting sucked into a world or a different atmosphere; the fact that none of this **** actually happened is completely irrelevant to me.

Let me clarify my stance here bit more. By saying I don't understand fiction, I'm not attempting to take a moral stance which implies the non-fiction reader is somehow better or more stable than the fiction reader. As Esper above mentioned, a work of fiction (more so graphic novels, yet more so games) can be immersive enough to effectively promote suspension of disbelief. At that stage, when you've crossed that line, the concern I raised earlier no longer applies. But my concern was precisely about that mental exercise itself, the idea that when I'm sitting down with a book, I have to momentarily tune off my ontological radar and commit myself to what the author is selling. It's that act of crossing the line itself that I find counterintuitive.

I know once one get started on a fiction, it's super easy to like it. But that's the easy answer to my question. The reason I probably would not include a fiction book in my library (unless one day I want to study literature or something) is because of the very reason that it's immersive enough to fool my senses. It's that I don't understand the point of making that commitment to begin with. Hopefully this makes some sense.

Whether these things actually happened or not is a completely moot point because the way the works are written are capable of inspiring very real change in people.

Well if that's the reason you read fiction, then I would actually understand where you're coming from (although in my case personally I'd resort to non-fiction for that same purpose). If you're studying fiction because of some therapeutic reason (like the one you mentioned), or as a commentary into real world issues (e.g. Voltaire's Candide or Orwell's Animal Farm). I admitted to these exceptions in my OP. My question was specifically about those people who choose to read fiction, to commit to a (usually large) novel or even a series thereof, only for the purposes of seeing how the plot develops, or what happens to the characters and so forth. That's the one aspect I have difficulty understanding.

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    My question was specifically about those people who choose to read fiction, to commit to a (usually large) novel or even a series thereof, only for the purposes of seeing how the plot develops, or what happens to the characters and so forth. That's the one aspect I have difficulty understanding.

Probably because they're interesting to readers. If you play video games, watch TV shows or movies, read manga, then reading a long work of fiction is no different. People become invested in characters and situations that test them. They want to follow characters on a journey (be it physical or emotional) and see how they come out on the other side. Your viewpoint is pretty utilitarian so it's difficult to explain something that seems innate.

I read fiction for a combination of this and what I mentioned in my previous post. I'm not always looking for a groundbreaking movie or book, sometimes I just want a quick and consumable piece of fiction that has me caring about other characters for however long I invest myself in their worlds.

That they aren't real makes no difference because what you feel as a consumer is real and in the end I think that's what matters.

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
  • Let me clarify my stance here bit more. By saying I don't understand fiction, I'm not attempting to take a moral stance which implies the non-fiction reader is somehow better or more stable than the fiction reader. As Esper above mentioned, a work of fiction (more so graphic novels, yet more so games) can be immersive enough to effectively promote suspension of disbelief. At that stage, when you've crossed that line, the concern I raised earlier no longer applies. But my concern was precisely about that mental exercise itself, the idea that when I'm sitting down with a book, I have to momentarily tune off my ontological radar and commit myself to what the author is selling. It's that act of crossing the line itself that I find counterintuitive.

I know once one get started on a fiction, it's super easy to like it. But that's the easy answer to my question. The reason I probably would not include a fiction book in my library (unless one day I want to study literature or something) is because of the very reason that it's immersive enough to fool my senses. It's that I don't understand the point of making that commitment to begin with. Hopefully this makes some sense.
    yeah I get what you mean. I think we're at a Fundamental Impasse, however, as I am studying literature, haha. the issues you raise don't even cross my mind when I'm reading a piece of fiction, which is all gravy, I just can't really relate.

Controversial?

Bored musician, bad programmer
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 11, 2020
    A lot of the fiction I like is allegorical. Like the world in which the story is set can give you a different perspective on your own world.

e.g. Atlas Shrugged, The Outsider, Les Mains Sales
    unapologetic existentialist

Bay

Years
  • As someone who writes fiction, I do that to hopefully evoke some kind of emotion as others mentioned. If I'm able to have my readers feel something, then I've done my job.

As a reader, what interests me with written prose is how the author tells their story in their own words. You can have the exact same story but can be told in a variety of ways and that's what I love about that.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    My question was specifically about those people who choose to read fiction, to commit to a (usually large) novel or even a series thereof, only for the purposes of seeing how the plot develops, or what happens to the characters and so forth. That's the one aspect I have difficulty understanding.
    As someone who is still reading a series that's around fifteen books all taking place in the same fictional universe, the main reason that I have for committing that length of time is simply because I care about the characters and the world within. The author(s) spent their time creating characters that come across so strongly that they feel like real people. I care about them, wanting to see how their story ends. I like spending time with them.

Fiction also allows readers and writers to explore situations and emotions they might not be able to. Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace contains one of the best descriptions of how suicidal people think when they reach that point. The book--which is complete fiction--also explores other difficult subjects in a way that readers consider them when they otherwise wouldn't because these fictional characters are so open to readers.

Learning about science or history or philosophy is valuable precisely because these involve mulling over of things that in fact exist or events that in fact took place.
    On the opposite side of things, learning how a fictional character deals with a fictional situation can teach people how to handle similar situations. By reading how one fictional character handled feelings of despair and loneliness, I was able to process my own feelings in a healthy way when going through my own despair and loneliness.

You can also say that fiction teaches people how to empathize with fellow humans. Because you learn that everyone has their own story, you can learn how to feel alongside others.

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    because this world sucks and people need something exciting that's not depressing every once in a while

Back