• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen What are your expectations for RBY?

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    I wish they can have some event Pokemon like Mew and add the online battling feature (Not to be confused with the local one).

Also, I hope they can keep the slots.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
    Years
  • I, for one, hope they don't change anything (besides maybe removing the slot machines, which is more or less unavoidable if they want to re-release the game at all, at least in Europe) . I already know that the first thing I'll try is the Mew glitch. Hope it still works :) .

As strange as it might seem, I hope they go for a more faithful recreation of the full Pokémon experience by removing the save states.

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2016
    Are they not just releasing the games as they were? I need to read up on everything.
    I would like it if all the glitches that we've had so much fun with over the past 20 years were actually gone. I'm a party pooper like that. Releasing a broken game when everyone is thoroughly aware of probably every glitch in the game is unacceptable to me, even if certain people will want to dick around with the glitches.

Raburesu

Technology is incredible!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2023
    The games will indeed be left intact, as broken as they are. I suppose they want to capture what the beginning of the series was like, though I feel like they're just being lazy. Anything to improve the game experience is good in my book, although perhaps they are considering those who would argue the removal of what gave these games some of their charm would be a detriment to the experience... But that's just another excuse for them to release them without much effort.

Raburesu

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2023
    Nope; they love them some event Pokémon!

With the Mew Glitch remaining, you can catch it as early as Nugget Bridge, and it'll be at level 7, so it's perfect for adding to your team at that point~

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    The thing is i would like to battle Mew. I always felt Mew was an oddity more than a legendary Pokemon.

Raburesu

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2023
    I can get behind that. Maybe with a unique battle theme, and at level 45-50. :) In comparison to the Legendary Birds, which have no relevance on the plot and hardly feel important at all beyond the game telling you they're 'Legenday,' Mew would be a far more memorable, worthwhile encounter.

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    i doubt they will modify it unfortunately. unless they surprise everyone. I wonder hwo the glitches will work. Some glitches work completely different when its a port. For 3DS is assume that the game will crash, but who knows.

COOLTRAINER♂

Speedball 2: Brutal Vanilluxe
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2019
    The Game Corner is not being removed - the game is simply rated 12+ in Europe.
    It's a Virtual Console title - the idea is to present the classic game experience on a new platform, not tinkered with by new people unless they really have to (like purple Jynx or toning down rapid flashing effects).

i doubt they will modify it unfortunately. unless they surprise everyone. I wonder hwo the glitches will work. Some glitches work completely different when its a port. For 3DS is assume that the game will crash, but who knows.

I think the more benign glitches will continue to work as they did before - the most Missingno does is display garbled tiles instead of a sprite and overwrite the Hall Of Fame data. The more dangerous glitch Pokemon and glitch moves will probably crash the emulator as they would the Game Boy. I don't know if any RBY glitches work particularly differently on the real hardware vs an accurate emualtor.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    Besides the games coming to the eShop, I don't believe that we will ever have another official remake of the games unfortunately. I would like to see more event Pokemon if the games did make a return, and more 1st. gen mega evolutions would be cool as well. Also, I would like to see features such as Wonder Trade return and more postgame activities would be cool. Maybe we could go explore Mt. Silver before Red was on it.

Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2016
    While they confirmed trading through 3DS Wireless is possible. It would be great if Wi-Fi features are supported.

Some claimed that the Psychic-type was meant to be a type without a weakness, while some claimed due to programming error Ghost-type moves had no effect on Psychic Pokemon. If the latter part is true they should fix it. If Psychic Pokemon were meant to dominate the metagame though, then they can simply leave that part alone.

Lastly, this iconic old gent must stay!
    What are your expectations for RBY?

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • I expect a faithful recreation of the original, down to the behavior of the code.

Exception being whatever mods are needed for interfacing with current Gens...which should be minor on the Game side as the Emulator CAN AND SHOULD be responsible for accurately Emulating GB cable communication in a packet perfect manner, while also transparently translating Pokemon data from G1 to Current Gens.

Raburesu

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2023
    It's been confirmed that save states (or, Restore Points, as Nintendo calls them) won't be a feature in the RBY ports. Not sure how I feel about this. On one hand, I like that it'll be a faithful representation of what playing it on a real handheld would be like, but on the other, I like convenience...

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • All I want is that Game Freak retains the games in their original way. Keeping all the glitches, etc. It gives a nostalgic feeling to it, and I'd hate for them to take out the Mew Glitch. =/

pkmin3033

I'd be happy with a straight port, although one thing I wouldn't mind would be if they incorporated the EXP bar underneath the HP bar somehow. I've gotten used to being able to see how much closer I am to the next level, and it'd be irritating to have to constantly check.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • I'm hoping that things like the Mew glitch and the Missingno. glitch are left intact due to:
    -their iconicness in videogaming
    -because I feel that event Pokemon should all be obtainable in-game even with tedious effort (event distributions should act like a convenience for Pokemon obtainment rather than the sole option for obtainment of certain Pokemon)
    -and because MissingNo. should be a real-yet-nigh-nonexistent #000 Pokemon, darn it!
    . ^^

However, I hope that certain battle glitches are fixed (such as Focus Energy's incorrect coding, the "Leech Seed + Toxic compounding" issue, the "Bind/Wrap/Fire Spin" issue (?), maybe the "never thaw from Freeze" issue (because that just sucks :x).

I, for one, hope they don't change anything (besides maybe removing the slot machines, which is more or less unavoidable if they want to re-release the game at all, at least in Europe) . I already know that the first thing I'll try is the Mew glitch. Hope it still works :) .

As strange as it might seem, I hope they go for a more faithful recreation of the full Pokémon experience by removing the save states.

The Game Corner is not being removed - the game is simply rated 12+ in Europe.
    It's a Virtual Console title - the idea is to present the classic game experience on a new platform, not tinkered with by new people unless they really have to (like purple Jynx or toning down rapid flashing effects).

I think the more benign glitches will continue to work as they did before - the most Missingno does is display garbled tiles instead of a sprite and overwrite the Hall Of Fame data. The more dangerous glitch Pokemon and glitch moves will probably crash the emulator as they would the Game Boy. I don't know if any RBY glitches work particularly differently on the real hardware vs an accurate emualtor.

Wow; the PEGI rating thing for Europe is very interesting! According to this article, the "Pan European Game Information (PEGI) 12" rating is roughly equivalent to an Entertainment Software Review Board (ESRB) rating of "Everyone 10+/Teen".. I would totally take core series Pokemon games being rated "Everyone 10+" in the future if it meant that Game Corners (and their slot machines) could come back worldwide (like seriously, as far as I can tell, the slot machines weren't a problem for kids during the era of all the pre-Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver games.. -_-). Sheesh.

(And I know that certain attributes/things are weighed differently in different countries' cultures, but there really needs to be a standardized worldwide-applicable videogame rating system.. >_>)

While they confirmed trading through 3DS Wireless is possible. It would be great if Wi-Fi features are supported.

Some claimed that the Psychic-type was meant to be a type without a weakness, while some claimed due to programming error Ghost-type moves had no effect on Psychic Pokemon. If the latter part is true they should fix it. If Psychic Pokemon were meant to dominate the metagame though, then they can simply leave that part alone.

Lastly, this iconic old gent must stay!
    What are your expectations for RBY?

I'm almost sad they edited his dialogue in HG/SS. He was just as perverted in the Japanese HG/SS after all!

@Precious Tears, I agree with the "Psychic-type type-matchup change" if Psychic was indeed programmed incorrectly, although if the original type-matchup was programmed as intended, then it should be left alone.

And yeah, CELADON CITY GYM WINDOW MAN! {XD} His (limited) dialogue was hilarious; the editing of said dialogue was Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver's main blemish, in my opinion (aside from recycling the Sinnoh Battle Frontier and the lack of Pokemon Super Contests).. I mean, if you want to go see "powerful Pokemon Trainers", just go to Indigo Plateau or the Sinnoh Battle Frontier.. -_- The edit is going to be more annoying in retrospect since Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow will likely be released with their original ESRB rating and dialogue intact in 2016, making it seem that Celadon City Gym Window Man's dialogue was "appropriate" for the original Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow release in 1996 (and 2004, counting Pokemon FireRed/LeafGreen), "inappropriate" in 2009 (English release of Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver), and all of a sudden "appropriate" again in 2016 (Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow re-release)? Like, make up your minds, English-localizers. -.- In my opinion, it should have been left untouched.

It's been confirmed that save states (or, Restore Points, as Nintendo calls them) won't be a feature in the RBY ports. Not sure how I feel about this. On one hand, I like that it'll be a faithful representation of what playing it on a real handheld would be like, but on the other, I like convenience...

I feel like Restore Points should be implemented as a toggle (if that's possible for the Nintendo 3DS's emulator that runs Virtual Console games) - this way, people who want the "original experience" and people who want "convenience" can both be satisfied (I'm under the impression that said "Restore Points" act like the type apparently used in standard videogame console emulators). I don't see why Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow should get special treatment to "preserve" the experience, yet nearly every single other Virtual Console game with newly-added "Restore Points/save states" now permits Save Scumming when their original releases likely did not permit such an act.

I'd be happy with a straight port, although one thing I wouldn't mind would be if they incorporated the EXP bar underneath the HP bar somehow. I've gotten used to being able to see how much closer I am to the next level, and it'd be irritating to have to constantly check.

I can see how this would be a good feature, although I feel that it should be omitted for "original experience" purposes, and so that modern-Pokemon-game players actually cherish the post-Generation 1 Experience Bars and marvel at how far Pokemon has come - so that they don't take the "Experience Bar" for granted these days.. {XD} Yeesh, and these games don't even let you check the Base Power of Pokemon moves, something which I'm regularly accustomed to in Generation 3.. >.>

Last edited:

COOLTRAINER♂

Speedball 2: Brutal Vanilluxe
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2019
    I feel like Restore Points should be implemented as a toggle (if that's possible for the Nintendo 3DS's emulator that runs Virtual Console games) - this way, people who want the "original experience" and people who want "convenience" can both be satisfied (I'm under the impression that said "Restore Points" act like the type apparently used in standard videogame console emulators). I don't see why Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow should get special treatment to "preserve" the experience, yet nearly every single other Virtual Console game with newly-added "Restore Points/save states" now permits Save Scumming when their original releases likely did not permit such an act.
    This probably mostly part of the means to stop you doing something dumb and savestating in and out while in the middle of link communications. (Also stops the game from becoming unplayable or losing a lot of progess if you don't make a real save and ended up creating a restore point just before a game-crashing glitch)

Wow; the PEGI rating thing for Europe is very interesting! According to this article, the "Pan European Game Information (PEGI) 12" rating is roughly equivalent to an Entertainment Software Review Board (ESRB) rating of "Everyone 10+/Teen".. I would totally take core series Pokemon games being rated "Everyone 10+" in the future if it meant that Game Corners (and their slot machines) could come back worldwide (like seriously, as far as I can tell, the slot machines weren't a problem for kids during the era of all the pre-Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver games.. -_-). Sheesh.
    That's not a good comparison because the actual ESRB website only talks about simulated gambling in the context of a T rating.
    Cultural attitudes have changed too much in the past 10 or so years to let it pass in new games.

Last edited:
    Back