• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Heartgold Team **Critique Wanted**

Illumknight

Trainer of the South Winds
Years
  • I do change the team around a lot, but I'm working on toughening up all of my Pokemon (Also in the PC) to Level 100, with TM/HM moves. Of course this will take a long time but I juts want a critique on my current team.

Critique please!
    Garchomp Lv.100 HP.339 Atk.274 Def.175 Sp.Atk.191 Sp.Def.177. Speed.259
    Dragon Claw
    Dig
    Crunch
    Dragon Rush

Lapris Lv.100 HP.390 Atk.198 Def.168 Sp.Atk.189 Sp.Def.198 Speed.140
    Brine
    Safeguard
    Hydro Pump
    Sheer Cold

Skuntank Lv.100 HP.325 Atk.199 Def.147 Sp.Atk.152 Sp.Def.139 Speed.186
    Earthquake
    Shadow Claw
    Overheat
    Explosion

Snorlax Lv.100 HP.447 Atk.227 Def.161 Sp.Atk.139 Sp.Def.241 Speed.67
    Earthquake
    Blizzard
    Thunder
    Giga Impact

Camerupt Lv.100 HP.302 Atk.198 Def. 159 Sp.Atk.222 Sp.Def.204 Speed.110
    Earth Power
    Earthquake
    Eruption
    Fissure

Arcanine Lv.100 HP.302 Atk.211 Def.185 Sp.Atk.236 Sp.Def.206 Speed.203
    Overheat
    Fire Fang
    Fire Blast
    Giga Impact
    Ok so please tell me what you think of my team. I will be changing a lot of the attacks today (TM's & HM's) and of course I need to level them up until they're Level 100.

smurf

Veteran Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2015
    May i suggest an eletirc type pokemon such as electivire as a replacement for camerupt electivire will allow you to have electric an ground type moves and you already have one fire type in arcainen

Illumknight

Trainer of the South Winds
    Years
  • May i suggest an eletirc type pokemon such as electivire as a replacement for camerupt electivire will allow you to have electric an ground type moves and you already have one fire type in arcainen

Thanks for the tip, I was originally going to use my Electivire but I didn't feel like trading it from my Diamond to my Heart Gold, should have trusted my instincts...

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Going to move this to In-game Team Rate as that's where stuff like this belongs. If you intend for this to be a competitive team check out the main section for what you details you need to include.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Okay so! On Garchomp, Dig is a terrible attack since it leaves you open to switch-outs etc, but if you're considering taking this to wifi then Earthquake is best since it hits harder and much faster, only taking one turn to use it. As for Dragon Rush it doesn't really help Garchomp that much because while it's strong, it's just so inaccurate. You could always go for Outrage for more power over Dragon Claw if you want too. Either way, instead of Dragon Rush you're probably better off going for something that boosts its stats in the place of Dragon Rush, like Swords Dance.

For Lapras, Sheer Cold is a bad thing since while it can OHKO, the accuracy is terrible, and unless you have Lock-On or something like that, it's a useless attack really. If you want your ice STAB, go for Ice Beam since it is most likely to hit when compared to Blizzard unless you have an Hail team. As for Hydro Pump, it depends on how much you trust accuracy, Waterfall could do just as good and hurt the opponent just as much, but the critical OHKOs really would come from Hydro Pump against neutral typed opponents (waterfall because the physical stat is higher). Brine can reach the power of Hydro Pump but it's risky since you'll be attacking twice anyway, and if you reach less than 50% on the first try, you'll kill the opponent on the next try. Instead you could replace it with Curse to boost your stats. You could also give it Heal Bell, since it does what Safeguard does but it heals all Pokemon immediately, whereas if you forget to use Safeguard when it expires, you could find yourself being hurt by status. On the other hand, Heal Bell wouldn't mind if there is status since it heals it anyway.

Considering its typing, Skunktank could go for Sucker Punch to attack Pokemon who are trying to attack you and since you can't breed Pursuit, instead just use the move relearner and get Night Slash as another physical attack when you know your opponent probably won't attack. Shadow Claw doesn't really do anything because psychic types won't be staying in, and EQ doesn't really give you any coverage. For the last attack you could go for Poison Jab so you have secondary STAB attacks.

As for Snorlax, while Giga Impact is powerful, you can do better with Body Slam due to it having a chance of paralysis and being a STAB attack. Thunder and Blizzard don't really have great accuracy, plus Snorlax has a terrible sPA stat anyway. Instead you could go for Curse to raise your stats, and Crunch to attack potential ghost types, while remaining physical.

Although you're not going to use it, I just want to add a few comments on Camerupt. For one, you have waaay too many ground attacks. Camerupt is primarily a special Pokemon (100 to 105 difference, but still) and as a result, Earth Power is probably more useful to you than Earthquake, and Fissure has the same issue as Sheer Cold. Fire Blast or Flamethrower are preferred instead of Eruption since they don't get weaker the lower your HP is, therefore more reliable to use over and over w/ switching in and out.

Arcanine is primarily physical (though can run special). It really needs things like Fire Blast OR Overheat (aka not both but it'd be better if you had Flare Blitz but you can't really breed again) for power & STAB. Thunder Fang can cover things that your other attacks don't. You could also go with Iron Head for a chance of flinching since you're faster and for it to attack things like ground/rock that you can't really touch otherwise. Aaand for the last slot Will-O-Wisp since it can stop physical attackers from hurting your team as much.

gl!

Back