• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Original or Remakes?

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
Years
  • Well title says it all. Currently there are 3 Pokemon remakes. But of course, since they are remakes, that means they had an original. Remakes are supposed to be better but other people prefer originals because of nostalgia.

My question is: do you prefer original (R/B/G/Y,G/S/C,R/S/E) or remakes (FR/LG,HG/SS,OR/AS)?

Years
  • Unlike most people here who wear nostalgia goggles, I actually prefer the remakes over the original versions because it keeps the iconic features of the game but brings it to a modern audience with updated mechanics so that it can be more relevant to the current state of the games.

Lunarose

replaced by lies
    Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2020
    Unlike most people here who wear nostalgia goggles, I actually prefer the remakes over the original versions because it keeps the iconic features of the game but brings it to a modern audience with updated mechanics so that it can be more relevant to the current state of the games.

Good point, I pretty much agree with this.
    Crystal is one of my favorites because of nostalgia and being my first game, but I loved the remakes of HG/SS and it ended up being my all time favorite. I spent countless hours playing this game, so I definitely approve of this re-make, but unfortunately it might be the only re-make I truly enjoyed out of all the ones out there so far.
    OR/AS was alright, but not as great as HG/SS.
    FR/LG was alright as well, but again not as memorable to me.

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen Feb 26, 2024
    Unlike most people here who wear nostalgia goggles, I actually prefer the remakes over the original versions because it keeps the iconic features of the game but brings it to a modern audience with updated mechanics so that it can be more relevant to the current state of the games.

I'm with Hikamaru on this one. I've liked all the remakes better than the originals. Not to say the originals were bad games, but the remakes breathe new life into the games and of course bring updated mechanics. But, I can't ignore the nostalgia factor: I really enjoy seeing how GF changes things up in the story and how the areas change when they are created with better graphics and such.

Years
  • My nostalgia goggles are firmly attached to my face, I will admit. :D

Although funnily enough - well, I can't say anything about Gen 3 because I haven't had a copy of ORAS yet to try it out - I actually prefer FRLG to RB, while the same can't quite be said of HGSS to GS. Probably because for the former, I find the original games to be a little...a little too rough for me now? I like old-style games like that, but for whatever reason I just can't really play my blue version for long nowadays, that being one of the reasons. My Leaf Green allows me the experience of the original game, with graphics that don't make me raise my eyebrow, and I like that.

I can't say the same of Gen 2, however. I don't know why. I would have thought that I'd have been all over Heart Gold because I was absolutely in love with Gold, but it's just...not the same. I'm guessing there was some kind of charm about the original Gold that I liked, that I thought wasn't quite captured in the remake. But I'm not entirely sure what it is. Maybe I was expecting the same kind of "wow" that I got from playing Gold, and of course I didn't because I already knew what to expect. I just know that I've tried playing HG, never got far into it, keep meaning to go back to play it but never do. And yet if I could actually play my original Gold cartridge, I would in a heartbeat. Goggles are probably stuck on me for that one for sure.

And then, no comment about Gen 3 yet. I should get a copy of ORAS sometime, I just feel no driving need to do so.

So I guess I'm more indifferent to remakes than anything else, with a bit of a preference towards the originals at times.

FullMetal_Ashheart

The Heart and Soul of Fire
    Years
  • I actually like the remakes more than the originals. Don't get me wrong. I do like the originals as well because I actually grew up with them(and I was born in the early 90's anyways), but remakes are good. Like Heart Gold/Soul Silver, for example, lets you have your 1st Pokemon follow you around outside of their pokeball(Just like you had Pikachu follow you around on Pokemon Yellow), and also we got to see newer areas that we didn't see in G/S/C.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Honestly, I like the originals and remakes for different reasons. I think that the remakes, excluding FRLG, do a great job of making a name for themselves and standing out from the originals enough to really see them as separate games. That being said about FRLG though, I don't feel that enough was added or changed to those remakes for me to really enjoy them. They're not horrible, but in that case, they're so similar to the originals that they're practically the same. Please don't tell me "but Sevii Islands!" because I personally feel they were lazily executed and only tacked on to make a quest for the ability to trade with Hoenn games, which honestly should have been a feature from the start. So it's a bitter post-game at best. So because they're so similar, I actually do have a preference in this case, and that's the originals. And no, it's not nostalgia goggles either. I actually didn't play Red until 2004, barely before I played FireRed. And I have a lot of nostalgia with both! I actually used to really like FRLG and play all the time, believe it or not. But there's a lot that rub me the wrong way about the Kanto remakes to make me not really enjoy them as much as the remakes, aside from I guess being able to transfer those Pokemon upwards if I desire. I think HGSS really set the bar high on remakes and once I saw what HGSS did for Johto, I didn't like what FRLG did for Kanto. And so my interesting in FRLG waned from there after HGSS.

Lunarose

replaced by lies
    Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2020
    HGSS is my favorite game ever. I've played it so much and overall it just feels good and always keeps me coming back for more. However I've gotta say that I prefer original games. Original games mean new Pokémon, a new region to explore and new characters too which is always a huge bonus in my book. I'd like to see more original games opposed to remakes.

This is true. I feel like if they were to make a Diamond remake for example, a couple years from now it'd probably overkill and lazy unless they do something that can surpass HGSS. I started hearing about people wanting a D/P/P remake already, which is kind of too soon haha.
    It's always fun to explore new places as opposed to old~

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    It depends.

Gen 1: Originals ALL the way. The ability to play as a girl and not having a Bag that sucks isn't enough to justify the worthless tutorials, dumbed down gameplay, and annoying tacked-on fetch quests. And, it's not like they really fleshed out the story or improved on the originals' many flaws, anyways. It's obvious that FRLG were solely made for completing RSE's Pokédex, a purpose they have long since outlived. Plus, there's Yellow, with its following Pikachu, Jessie/James cameos, and juiced-up NPC teams. None of those are in FRLG, last I checked.

Gen 2: It's a little more mixed. Both Crystal and HGSS beat GS by a LONG shot, of course, but Crystal and HGSS, themselves, are more equal. HGSS are gorgeous games with all sorts of neat additions (like following Pokémon) that do a great job of updating Gen 2, but it's hard to beat Crystal, especially in the character design department (Kris >>>> Lyra).

Gen 3: Meh, never been much into the Hoenn games to begin with. Anything beats GBA era graphics and mechanics, I guess, but ORAS could've used some more Emerald in them. They also have some HUGE storytelling and continuity issues with XY.

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
  • It really depends on which remakes you're talking about. Firered and Leafgreen were nice, and I have a soft spot for them because Leafgreen was my first Pokemon game and I have a lot of memories with it, and I liked the Sevii Islands and all the secrets contained within them. But in terms of content R/B/Y amusingly have them beat, and not even intentionally. Because of just how wonderfully perfectly horribly broken the original games are, the amount of things you can do within them is really only limited by your imagination and programming knowledge. Wanna make your own scripts? You can do that. Befriend horrifically glitchy Pokemon and explore eldritch lands, you say? Sure, why not? Toy with abilities and powers you can't possibly hope to understand and observe the hilarious results? Have fun. Heck, if you have a special item (8F or wsm, depending on the version), a team of special Pokemon with special movesets and certain items to accompany your debugging device you can make your very own minigames, like Pong or Snake. Awesome.

As for G/S/C and HG/SS, they're really more or less equal. G/S in particular are awesome games by themselves but also have similar bugs and glitches, and if you know what you're doing you can do just about anything, though not as much as R/B/Y. And HG/SS.... dear GOD I can't praise these games enough. These two games took what was already a wonderful experience and made it even better, adding in a feature we haven't seen since Yellow and adding in new areas (and fixing Kanto) while keeping the region as we remember it. I love these games to death, and they're very wonderful games that really set the bar in what a remake is supposed to be.

As for ORAS and R/S/E... eh.... I like Emerald, I like the Pomeg glitch that again allows you to break the game in hilarious ways, I like how Team Aqua and Team Magma were fighting each other and you had to summon a giant wyrm to prevent the region from going into chaos. I've never played ORAS and I don't really plan to, but I never liked how they redesigned the protagonists and antagonists and kept the alternate storylines in Ruby and Sapphire without adding anything in from Emerald, which was really the more superior version of the game, and I dislike the whole Mega Evolution push. The games themselves seem to have a lot of flaws, and don't really have much in the way of new content to compensate for that (like the Battle Frontier, which really should have been included.)

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • FR/LG are vastly superior to R/B because Leaf. And the Vs. Seeker.
    HG/SS are marginally better than G/S but were a big disappointment because they failed to address many of the flaws in the originals.
    R/S/E were bad games so I didn't even bother with their remakes. But from what I've seen, the remakes introduce quite a few annoying characters and make the "neighbor/rival" personality even worse. On the other hand, Aqua and Magma were presented better in the remakes. And 3.8/10 both sets of games have too much damn water.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
  • I think I'm voting for the remakes here. They're like the original games, but often have many small improvements and some nice additions.
    FRLG is an improvement compared to RBY on the area of being slightly less unbalanced, an upgraded pc system, the possibility of rebattling a stronger Elite Four, a VS seeker, the Sevii Islands and decent Pokémon sprites. While the game still felt like the originals in a new style, I can't say it were good remakes, but they still had improvements which make them more enjoyable than the originals.
    Same principle goes for the other remakes, although I can't really say much about ORAS as I haven't played it yet. There is one thing I love more in GSC than in HGSS however and that's the sprites, I just adore those old sprites. Hence my current avatar.

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
    Years
  • As for myself, I think that it depends on which remake we're talking about too.

For the Kanto games, I'll go with the remakes, it's better in every way in my opinion. Psychic type isn't overpowered, Vs Seeker...etc.

But for the Johto games, I'd say they are very equal. HG/SS makes the Pokemon follow you, best feature ever in my opinion, and update everything nicely. They did a better job than the Kanto one. But Crystal had the best Pokemon sprites ever, just like Lycan said!

Never played OR/AS but I'm looking forward to! Hopefully I'll buy it sometime around this month.

Schrroms

Pokémon Infinite Fusion dev
    Years
  • I've always said that sequels like BW2 would be much better than remakes. Have the games take place in the original region, but change the story and gym order.

It would satisfie people who want nostalgia because you'd be revisiting a new region, but it'd still be fresh and a lot more fun than playing a game you've already played before.

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
    Years
  • No question, the first iterations of a Pokémon game that I've played will be the versions I will like the most. I will always prefer Crystal to HG/SS, FireRed/LeafGreen to Red/Blue, and so on and so forth. Sure, the remakes are naturally gonna be better, but it's that first experience with the story that leaves the biggest impression.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    honestly once a remake comes out i will probably never play the original again. the new features are just too good to go back to playing the old games. especially hoenn now being in 3D, I think i would only go back for Emerald so I can actually experience the battle frontier again.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    honestly once a remake comes out i will probably never play the original again. the new features are just too good to go back to playing the old games. especially hoenn now being in 3D, I think i would only go back for Emerald so I can actually experience the battle frontier again.

So, does that mean you just don't play Gen 1 anymore? Because, FRLG are exactly as old and outdated as RSE. ;)

Back