• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] What do you think of RPG Maker MV?

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
    • Seen today

rm2kdude

Advanced Pixel-Artist
    Years
    • Age 35
    • usa
    • Seen Oct 30, 2022
    I've used just about every version of RPG Maker, and various other game engines and let me just say that MV > XP any day of the week period.

There's already a script that alleviates the mapping limitation, sure you have to use TileD but it's better than XP and with way better tile animation support. I still prefer Game Maker: Studios non-grid based mapping but TileD is just as good, takes a bit to get used to though...

MV is also getting a serious update which Pixi is going from V2 to V4 and also introducing a dark theme "yay dark themes!" and there's also some grid options, don't know exactly what that is. Could be different grid sizes? as I can't see why you need grid options if your grid is 48x48 unless using TileD and the custom grid plugin.

Because MV is open that means you can inject other js libraries for better rendering support, online, particles, actual 3D, etc...

XP was released in 2004, a lot has changed in 12 years even for 2D development... Granted MV doesn't have all the tools Unity, Unreal, or even Game Maker: Studio have but it's also a capable engine.

If you're making an action game MV will work for you but you can't use the default map engine as well... it's just as limited as every map engine RPG Maker has used... use TileD and per pixel detection and you'll be fine.

*on a side note, haven't logged into the Pokecommunity in almost 5 years lol :p

Back