• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Question] Do we need permission to make fangames?

Years
    • Seen Sep 11, 2017
    Hello. I am new to this site. I would love to know if some has to have Nintendo's and Game Freak's approval for fan-made games? I myself am in the beginning steps of wanting to do one. I myself also draw made up Pokemon all the time. I really want to know what are the copyright regulations and I would also like some advice on how to be organized for such a project. Some advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

SpartaLazor

Doofus Lunarius
    Years
  • You don't need to worry. You don't really need their approval, but if they want to shut down your game, you'll have to comply. It's really rare that they'll issue a C&D, so you'd really have to be doing something wrong to have that happen to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2016
    And "wrong" would constitute something like asking people to pay you for it, or even offering in-game perks for donations (like a gift code or something). Thats crossing the line.

Schrroms

Pokémon Infinite Fusion dev
    Years
  • Hello. I am new to this site. I would love to know if some has to have Nintendo's and Game Freak's approval for fan-made games? I myself am in the beginning steps of wanting to do one. I myself also draw made up Pokemon all the time. I really want to know what are the copyright regulations and I would also like some advice on how to be organized for such a project. Some advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
    No.
    Well ideally you would need their approval, but Nintendo would never give it.
    They tolerate them but technically, every single fangame here is illegal.

Just comply if Nintendo ever sends you a cease & desist and you won't get in trouble.

As for how to be organized, it's up to you really. I suggest making an outline of your game's plot before doing anything and following it and that you at least have a basic idea of the features you want to implement,etc. . I personally like to have some google docs where I put ideas I have for the game.

Back