• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Spoilers] The "Ash-Greninja Power"

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
So, this hasn't been fully discussed yet, but, if you have been keeping up with the anime, at one point his Frogaider evolves into Greninja, and while he was battling with it, you'll find out that Ash shares a sort of power with his newly evolved Greninja. When the two seem "united" so to speak, his Greninja transforms, in cased in this swirling water, as well as giving it more power and ability.

tumblr_nwn7l6PLgM1sr6y44o1_500.gif

But the topic here is, what exactly is this power? Is it another form of Mega-Evolution, or is it something else entirely exclusive to Ash and Greninja? Furthermore, how will this power take Ash and his Pokémon along his journey to become stronger? Do you think this power will make Ash even stronger, or does this power need more development?

What are your thoughts and ideas about this power between Ash and Greninja? Feel free to share anything!

Years
It's been a few seasons, so hopefully there's more subtlety to this than Pikachu x2. A bit unfortunate that something in these thematic terms had to involve a Greninja, it seems to put down Gary's Squirtle in some ways (which was an interesting peculiarity, given that they had a type disadvantage from that beginning and then had to pretend that it basically wasn't such a thing. To do this they presumably had to create the protagonist Ash Ketchum.) Anyway, while it's pretty much the same as otherwise, effectively, you somewhat wonder if it isn't slightly reminiscent of the Rocket set-up with the Viridian City Gym a while ago, which seemed kinda like a decent idea in some ways, or the general motif around Mewtwo and such where Pokémon and trainer are closely linked, and feel the punishment and such from it as well, although in Mewtwo's case it was meant oppositely. I doubt they would be going into that kind of dark a direction with it, though, honestly. In all likelihood it's just like an Espeon thing, where the Pokémon have a 'good relation' to the human being but with no real focus on the Pokémon or its own struggles, such that for instance in the anime a Sharpedo would be related to in the same way as a Pachirisu, which seems characteristically belittling. It's also hard to see implementation of it elsewhere not being likely to be gimmicky going on past precedents.

Perhaps it'll turn out that Greninja actually becomes their rival going forwards, though. That would be similarly slapstick. Otherwise, there doesn't seem to be that much of interest going on there, and the barrier between human trainers and Pokémon is perhaps one that shouldn't be knocked down haphazardly - except on the assumption that nobody watches the anime - as you might well undermine the appeal of the thing.

Years
Here is my guess for this mechanic on the games. No stoke required, but underneath one condition, if 'Ash-Greninja' is knocked out, then you are too. Looks like a Torrent/Mega evolution split though

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019
Ash-Greninja is nothing more then excuse to give Shota a Keystone before Ash while destroying Ash's access to all Megevolve pokemon.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
I really like the idea behind Ash-Greninja because it shows how interesting and different Ash's Greninja is from other Pokemon he owns. Perhaps this'll be a future mechanic in the games for Pokemon that can't Mega Evolve, they get a "last hour super power" of sorts and transform according to the trainer's looks. I really like this idea, and think testing the waters with Greninja is better than his Pikachu. I hope the writers do more with the Ash-Greninja idea, and expand upon it. It'd be a shame for the idea to go to waste, when Mega Evolution on its own is a mystery.

I feel like the power is a different type or take on Mega Evolution for, like I said, Pokemon who don't have to Mega Evolve/go through Primal Reversion. I don't think it'll be exclusive to Ash only. Perhaps we'll see Serena-Delphox if her Braixen evolves. That'd be really neat. I'm not sure what this power is, exactly, it needs more development as to what it is, and how it might differ from Mega Evolution.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
After watching the Ash vs. Alan episode, it sounds like yet another method of Mega Evolution. We've got keystone Mega Evolution, Primal Reversion, and Mega Rayquaza. Ash-Greninja may be an early bird cameo of the new method that will debut in Pokémon Sun and Moon.

Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2019
It's Greninja's own version of Mega Evolution since the Anime wants only to promote Generation VI Pokémon. Many here say Megas are Gen VI Pokémon but Ash-Greninja proofs they aren't to 100%.

That said I think it is Anime exclusive and will not appear in the games.

KillerTyphlosion

Champion
Years
In the anime alan said it was a mega-evolution that doesn't require a stone. So we may see this mechanic in the next game but who knows.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen May 6, 2016
Well, at this point, maybe Alan is just speculating. Technically, Rayquaza does require a "substitute" for a Mega Stone, in the form of meteorites with energy, at least as told in ORAS.

In any case, I don't think it could be done with Pikachu, since maybe, like Mega Evolution, all this methods require a Pokemon that can't evolve, such as a fully-evolved or one without an evolutionary line.

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019
My theory is that Ash-Greninja will transform his Water veil into that large Shuriken behind his back.
Also , This Concept art show that Ash-Greninja shows that he can transform that Shuriken into Twin Blade -

tumblr_nwybjrjWMH1uqlakko1_1280.jpg

It would be even cooler if he turn it into a whip or a large sword.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Well then:

Spoiler:

Reactions: Z25

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
Years
"Um, his rivals and everyone else deserve mega evos, but no, Ash doesn't, because he's motherfucking Ash, so how about we make an excuse and give him an anime-exclusive form"

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen May 6, 2016
What the...!
I also noticed that in the video!! (Talking about the screenshot in the spoiler tag above).

Spoiler:

I wonder if any hint of this will appear in the episode three weeks from now, since the title confirms another battle between Greninja and Charizard.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019
Well then:

Spoiler:

I don't think that something like a Mega stone !
Because Mega Stone disappears when A Pokemon megevolve but Ash-Greninja still has his armband.

off course , Ash looked cool with that armband ! He really should have get a keystone.

Years
  • Age 42
  • Seen Nov 20, 2016
What purpose would Ash have Keystone for? He doesn't have any Pokémon in his current roster that could Mega Evolve and even at Oak's he only has 4 (correct me if I am wrong) and neither is likely to appear again IMO. Charizard got lots of onscreen time at the end of BW, plus Alain has Charizard too and Trevor may get one either, so no reason for Ash's Charizard to return, I am afraid. Sawyer has Sceptile, so that also made it unlikely, IMO, for Ash's Sceptile to appear again, though you never know. Heracross is also unlikely, since there's no reason for writers to promote Johto Pokémon now. Glalie is the only one I can imagine to return, but at this time, I think it's too late from ORAS to promote Hoenn Pokémon again. However, truth is, Ash still has one place in his roster, so, you never know, the next caught Pokémon may be one that is capable of Mega Evolution, but somehow, I doubt it.

But back to topic, I really hope Ash's Greninja is not some Anime-Exclusive excuse for not giving Ash Mega Evolution but actually prematurely introduced new game mechanic. That would be cool to do and something they did not do in anime yet (Movie 16 Mewtwo hardly could count as Mega Evolution introduction). Besides, in that episode where Froagadier evolved, Sanpei and his brothers recognized Ash's Greninja as something that already happened in past. I hope that too means that this is not Ash exclusive mechanic.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen May 6, 2016
What purpose would Ash have Keystone for? He doesn't have any Pokémon in his current roster that could Mega Evolve and even at Oak's he only has 4 (correct me if I am wrong) and neither is likely to appear again IMO. Charizard got lots of onscreen time at the end of BW, plus Alain has Charizard too and Trevor may get one either, so no reason for Ash's Charizard to return, I am afraid. Sawyer has Sceptile, so that also made it unlikely, IMO, for Ash's Sceptile to appear again, though you never know. Heracross is also unlikely, since there's no reason for writers to promote Johto Pokémon now. Glalie is the only one I can imagine to return, but at this time, I think it's too late from ORAS to promote Hoenn Pokémon again. However, truth is, Ash still has one place in his roster, so, you never know, the next caught Pokémon may be one that is capable of Mega Evolution, but somehow, I doubt it.

But back to topic, I really hope Ash's Greninja is not some Anime-Exclusive excuse for not giving Ash Mega Evolution but actually prematurely introduced new game mechanic. That would be cool to do and something they did not do in anime yet (Movie 16 Mewtwo hardly could count as Mega Evolution introduction). Besides, in that episode where Froagadier evolved, Sanpei and his brothers recognized Ash's Greninja as something that already happened in past. I hope that too means that this is not Ash exclusive mechanic.

I think it's fair to say that everyone hopes it is a new mechanic rather than an anime-only thing. Hope fully we'll get more info from either anime-related sources or as Pokemon Sun and Moon approaches.

Back