• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Best thing that X/Y introduced?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    From the introduction of being able to select your character's gender in Crystal to the introduction of Abilities in Gen III to WiFi capability in Gen IV, and so on, every new generation in the main series games brings a lot of new changes and updates along with it.

Generation VI started with X&Y and brought many changes to the main series games, including:
    -trainer customization
    -Fairy type
    -Super Training
    -horde battles
    -Wonder Trade
    -Pokemon Amie
    -Mega Evolution
    -Friend Safari

And more!

But out of everything Pokemon X&Y brought to the series, what thing(s) did you like best?

Laguna

Sir Zangoose
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Aug 31, 2016
    I really liked the ability to sit on benches the fact that you could customize your character, that was something we were wanting for years now. Super Training was a really convenient addition as well, I just couldn't be bothered with EVs before. I guess Mega Evolution is pretty cool too.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Horde battles was a great way to get EV easier and a LOT by scale, Super Training is just like min-game, but it's much slower than horde battle and it grow very tediousness and not easy to get EV you desire, just Horde Battling beats Super Training.

Customization gives the possibility to personalize the player, but only female player got lots of things.

Sometimes you won't get IV you wanted, Friend Safari is the cure because it's not only give decent IV, but also HA mons

The mysterious and enigmatic trading system, Wonder Trade puts new level to trade with strangers from over the world and you might get good mons or bad mons like getting a HA mons or a starter

I personally enjoy Pokemon Amie it like treating your pokemon more closely and it's perks allowed you to change the whole battle and it have very fun minigame and Customization because we all looked the same in all generations expect Gen6.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • I personally like Pokémon-Amie, because I can bond with my Pokémon by taking care of them. The extra perks like probability of curing itself from Status problems really makes me like it even more.

Player Customization are also enjoyable as well, since I can change the style according to my mood, that makes every player unique in some sense.

Super Training is also decent, because this time I'm able to control which EV to spread to my Pokémon when I feel like it. It's pretty hard sometimes, though...

The addition of Fairy type is also welcomed as well, since some of my favorite Pokémon are turned into Fairy type (I'm looking at you, Togekiss), which gives nice balancing over Dragon types, for sure.

Mega Evolution is pretty powerful as well, which makes the strong Pokémon much more stronger at some sense. I also like the animation when the Mega Evolution is evoked, as well.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    Mega Evolution was probably one of the best things introduced, but I would have to say Horde Battles. It made it a little bit easier to level up your pokemon, if you had sweet scent with you. Also, the chance to get a shiny through this increases to 1/817.2 chance.

Years
  • The move to 3D is--to me--the most significant change that Pokemon X/Y introduced. Instead of watching two frozen sprites (they move a little in B/W 2, I suppose) standing on a white screen next to their respective HP bars, we're able to experience our battles in a much more interesting way with 3D pokemon, environments, battle effects, and changing camera positions.

Though I suppose this isn't technically new. Pokemon Stadium and Pokemon Snap released years and years ago. For the handheld/traditional Pokemon games, X/Y is the first.

Sebastian_Sommer

Rocket grunt
    Years
  • There are three changes that I like in pokemon XY which is the 3D graphics, the feature of pokemon amie and the breeding function of destiny knot. Pokemon Amie in particular made me personally care about my own team and learn more about their behaviors.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    I remember what I was most excited for before Pokemon X/Y released was the addition of the new Mega Stone evolutions. I remember thinking: "How will these stones work?", "Won't the new Pokemon be OP now?" , "Which Pokemon will get these stones?". I was really excited about this, so excited in fact that I was a writer on another site and wrote a guide how to find all of the stones a few day after the game released.

I wasn't really excited for this pre-X/Y but I really like the Super Training and Wonder Trade after the game was released. I lied how I could trade like an Oshawott for a Ho-Oh, and it could be random. No matter how simple, I really liked the feature and was a fun thing to do when I was bored. Super Training was awesome because I could EV my Pokemon up quicker which of course is a plus.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Fairy-types, they balanced the competitive side. The typing chart feels more completely with the pixies.

Trainer customization, it feels like we, the players, are directly part of the game on the visual aspect. Most people on PSS are unique before OrAs were in stores! Lol

PokéAmie, my initial thoughts were 'bah', 'how childish'. Before I knew it, I came to like this feature already. When you think about your 10 years of partners from RSE/FrLg 'came alive' on Gen VI, it's just totally amazing!

Move and weather nerf, they weren't welcomed from the beginning, even from me. But similar to the introductions of Fairy-type, the whole competitive area feels well-balanced than before.

Honorable mentions go to Super Training, 3D character (from human to Pokémon to scenery), OSTs, hoard battles, Megas.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Super Training was a godsend because as a competitive player, I liked to EV train any new Pokemon I intended to use before continuing the story so that it wouldn't gain any unnecessary EVs during the storyline.

Years
    • Seen Aug 31, 2019
    Mega Evolutions and Fairy types. Completely changed the metagame and its so interesting how different everything became.

skyburial

Orca Hype
    Years
  • Super Training made EV's less of a guess-and-check and visualized EV's in a way that still made them kind of esoteric. I still don't understand why GF has to make that part of competitive play so difficult, but hay, what do I know.

I'm cool with what Mega Evolution did to the Pokemon we see in battle.

Years
  • For me, Mega Evolution and Fairy-types. They have drastically shaked up the battling system even more than any other previous changes, and have helped give several old favorites relevance to the modern audience again.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • Too much to choose from haha.

1. Mega evolution- other than the fact its awesome, it also adds a cool element to competitive

Tied with:

Fairy type. I like fairy type.

runner-ups:

2. 3-D graphics

3. Customization

4. Wonder trade

5. Pokemon-amie

Early

☆ My, how the Earth does move... ☆
    Years
  • It may sound silly, but when X/Y was still in the works, I was practically more excited for Pokemon Amie than the game itself. Being able to play with your Pokemon is something I've been hoping for outside of the Hey You, Pikachu!/Pokemon Channel spin-offs, and I also liked the minor battle benefits that come with your 'mons having their affection raised.

I'm not a competitive battler, but I also started to appreciate Super Training for making EV-raising a little less tedious.

Loriania

Mars Adept
    Years
  • I really like Pokemon-Amie a lot. Especially playing it with legendaries. Character customization, including clothing options. The new graphics.

Years
  • Trainer customisation was awesome, I really liked how I made my character look. I always name the female protagonist after myself, so to have her actually resemble me (within reason haha) made everything feel a lot more realistic :)

I also really enjoyed the excitement behind Wonder Trading and the Friend Safari, just that feeling of "what am I going to get??" was really exciting for each feature. Not to mention both encouraged mingling with lots of other people which I really enjoyed.

Finally I would say Pokémon Amie was fantastic, I loved the wee mini games and high fiving certain Pokémon haha. Also Pokémon hordes, especially when you got 4 of one kind of Pokémon and 1 of another.

Back