• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My Omega Ruby Team

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    Can anyone offer feedback on my planned team for Omega Ruby?

Blaziken
    Nature: Adamant
    Moveset: High Jump Kick, Flare Blitz, Swords Dance, Thunderpunch​

Milotic
    Nature: Modest
    Moveset: Hydro Pump, Ice Beam, Hidden Power, Dragon Tail​

Absol
    Nature: Naive
    Moveset: Swords Dance, Night Slash, Fire Blast, False Swipe​

Heracross
    Nature: Jolly
    Moveset: Pin Missile, Close Combat, Rock Blast, Earthquake​

Rhyperior
    Nature: Brave
    Moveset: Earthquake, Rock Slide, Ice Punch, Megahorn​

Ninetales
    Nature: Bold
    Moveset: Solarbeam, Flamethrower, Hypnosis, Dark Pulse​

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    For both, actually.

And I was recently advised by a seasoned battler that he could wipe my team out. So I'm open to suggestions. Three Pokemon I'm not willing trade out, however, are Blaziken, Milotic and Absol.

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
    Years
  • As I discovered on http://psypokes.com/dex/typeanalysis.php, your team is weak to Rock, Electric and Flying, with two Pokemon weak to each of those types. If you're planning to keep the first three Pokemon, then I would at least swap Gyarados for a Ground-type, particularly one with the added Rock or Steel-type if you could find one. Not only your team would have great defensive synergy, but great offensive synergy too.

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    As I discovered on http://psypokes.com/dex/typeanalysis.php, your team is weak to Rock, Electric and Flying, with two Pokemon weak to each of those types. If you're planning to keep the first three Pokemon, then I would at least swap Gyarados for a Ground-type, particularly one with the added Rock or Steel-type if you could find one. Not only your team would have great defensive synergy, but great offensive synergy too.

Thanks for your analysis. I've switched out Gyarados as per your suggestion.

BadPokemon

Child of Christ
    Years
  • Can anyone offer feedback on my planned team for Omega Ruby?

Blaziken
    Nature: Adamant
    Moveset: High Jump Kick, Flare Blitz, Swords Dance, Thunderpunch​

Milotic
    Nature: Modest
    Moveset: Hydro Pump, Ice Beam, Hidden Power, Dragon Tail​

Absol
    Moveset: Swords Dance, Night Slash, Fire Blast, False Swipe​

Heracross
    Moveset: Pin Missile, Close Combat, Rock Blast, Earthquake​

Rhyperior
    Nature: Brave
    Moveset: Earthquake, Rock Slide, Ice Punch, Megahorn​

Ninetales
    Nature: Bold
    Moveset: Solarbeam, Flamethrower, Hypnosis, Dark Pulse​

Can you show us the abilities and items? Are you playing smogon? If so, what tier? That would have a lot for suggestions. Also tell us what each poke does. If you can reply, I can help you. :)

Edit: are you EV training? That really helps. What EV's are you planning on using?

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    Can you show us the abilities and items? Are you playing smogon? If so, what tier? That would have a lot for suggestions. Also tell us what each poke does. If you can reply, I can help you. :)

Edit: are you EV training? That really helps. What EV's are you planning on using?

I can't show abilities or items because I'm starting this team fresh. I'm not using any of the Pokemon that I have captured in the other games. Once I know their abilities I'll let you know. I'm not playing smogon, so I can't help you there. I am not EV training.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I can't show abilities or items because I'm starting this team fresh. I'm not using any of the Pokemon that I have captured in the other games. Once I know their abilities I'll let you know. I'm not playing smogon, so I can't help you there. I am not EV training.
    If you're just gonna use this team for most in-game stuff, you'll probably be fine. But if you plan to take this team to Battle Spot or the Battle Maison (or whatever its equivalent is in ORAS), you might not do as well as you like. I mean, you have some decent Pokemon on your team so far (bar a few synergy issues that Boilurn pointed), but Battle Spot/Battle Maison battles are competitive level battles. You just can't go into battle without thinking about EVs, natures, items, and abilities and expect to do well. That is why someone told you that they could easily wipe you out.

So yeah.

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    If you're just gonna use this team for most in-game stuff, you'll probably be fine. But if you plan to take this team to Battle Spot or the Battle Maison (or whatever its equivalent is in ORAS), you might not do as well as you like. I mean, you have some decent Pokemon on your team so far (bar a few synergy issues that Boilurn pointed), but Battle Spot/Battle Maison battles are competitive level battles. You just can't go into battle without thinking about EVs, natures, items, and abilities and expect to do well. That is why someone told you that they could easily wipe you out.

So yeah.

Honestly, I never could get a handle on EV training. As for natures, I picked the best recommended natures for each of the Pokemon. I won't know abilities until I actually start catching the Pokemon.

Also, it would be helpful if alternatives could be suggested to make my team more able to fight competitively.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 15, 2015
    Honestly, I never could get a handle on EV training. As for natures, I picked the best recommended natures for each of the Pokemon. I won't know abilities until I actually start catching the Pokemon.

Also, it would be helpful if alternatives could be suggested to make my team more able to fight competitively.

I don't know how it is on ORAS as I'm still waiting for paypal to LET ME BUY IT PLEASE I NEED IT. Well as I was saying, I don't know how it is on ORAS but in XY with the supertraining is really easy to check the EVs and to EV train your pokes.
    The best way to EV train your pokes is as easy as this:
    .Clean their EVs (unless they are just caught), you can do this using a reset bag on them (supertraining) or using EV reducing berries on them until it says the stat can't go lower.
    .Get a pokemon with pokerus (I can trade you one).
    .Get the power items (you usually are allowed to get them after beating the game), there is a power item for each stat.
    .Equip your pokemon with the power item.
    .Look up on the internets where you should look for a pokemon that will give you the EV you want.
    .If there're hordes, you beat 6 hordes of that pokemon and you are done with that stat, if there are not hordes, you will have to beat the pokemon again and again.
    .Done, you have your trained pokemon ready to kick ass.

If you want to play competitively, you NEED EV training, and natures, and sometimes the ability will matter too.
    Also, there might be differences depending on if you want to play Singles, Doubles, Etc.
    Now, let's see your team...
    I would run scald instaed of hydro pump on Milotic, I see it more like a defensive pokemon. It has a nice special defense, and you can lower the opponent attack if you burn it with scald. Also, if you want to take a defensive approach on Milotic, you could use Recover on it.
    False Swipe on absol? I expect that's just to catch pokemon because it's useless on competitive.
    Heracross will be your mega evo, right? because if not I might change the 2-5 hits attacks for another thing.
    Rhyperior... I like using rock polish on it to outsped stuff and wreck it. And brave nature? why would you want to lower its speed instead of its special attack if your team doesn't carry trick room?
    About blaziken, I think stone edge is better than thunder punch, it lets you hit flying types for more damage (even though it's less accurate), high jump kick would do more damage than thunder punch to water types anyways.

BadPokemon

Child of Christ
    Years
  • Honestly, I never could get a handle on EV training. As for natures, I picked the best recommended natures for each of the Pokemon. I won't know abilities until I actually start catching the Pokemon.

I would not reccomend this team for competetive because they aren't EV trained or IV bred. However, ORAS has a new feature where you can catch pokemon with egg moves. For example, I got an adamant poocheyena with fire fang. That feature could potentially help you out.

Years
    • Seen Dec 15, 2015
    I would not reccomend this team for competetive because they aren't EV trained or IV bred. However, ORAS has a new feature where you can catch pokemon with egg moves. For example, I got an adamant poocheyena with fire fang. That feature could potentially help you out.

wow, didn't know about that, that's cool. There are still hordes in ORAS?

BadPokemon

Child of Christ
    Years
  • wow, didn't know about that, that's cool. There are still hordes in ORAS?

I think there are, but I haven't seen any yet and I'm at the second gym (haven't challenged of yet). It's a cool feature where you see a pokemon pop out of the grass and you use your pokebank to see what it is and what it has. Have you gotten the game yet?

Years
    • Seen Dec 15, 2015
    I think there are, but I haven't seen any yet and I'm at the second gym (haven't challenged of yet). It's a cool feature where you see a pokemon pop out of the grass and you use your pokebank to see what it is and what it has. Have you gotten the game yet?

Not yet, It's pretty expensive in my country so I'm trying to buy a code for the e-shop on the internet (they don't sell e-shop code cards here), but sadly paypal is giving me an error when trying to pay and I don't know when that will be fixed :(.

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    False Swipe on absol? I expect that's just to catch pokemon because it's useless on competitive.

Heracross will be your mega evo, right? because if not I might change the 2-5 hits attacks for another thing.

Rhyperior... I like using rock polish on it to outsped stuff and wreck it. And brave nature? why would you want to lower its speed instead of its special attack if your team doesn't carry trick room?

Thank you for your suggestions. If I may, what would you suggest for moves for Heracross?

For Rhyperior, you will have to take up your complaint about my choice of nature with Smogon, as it is they who recommended it.

What would you think would be a better move for Absol than False Swipe?

Thanks.

Years
    • Seen Dec 15, 2015
    Thank you for your suggestions. If I may, what would you suggest for moves for Heracross?

For Rhyperior, you will have to take up your complaint about my choice of nature with Smogon, as it is they who recommended it.

What would you think would be a better move for Absol than False Swipe?

Thanks.

If you are gonna use the mega evo, those moves are alright, if not, eh, megahorn instead of pin misile and stone edge instead of rock blast.

The rhyperior set you probably saw was a trick room based moveset, that explains the nature. Even if rhyperior would still be pretty slow, Adamant is better than Brave any time except you are going to use an attack like Gyro Ball or you want to use Trick Room.

For Absol, you can pick from a wide range of offensive moves, you could use Ice beam, Thunderbolt, Shadow ball. However, as you have sword dance, it might be better to use a physical attack that could take advantage of that, maybe Psycho cut, I'm not sure. Oh, and I would use Sucker Punch instead of Night Slash for priority, but that's up to you.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • If you are gonna use the mega evo, those moves are alright, if not, eh, megahorn instead of pin misile and stone edge instead of rock blast.

The rhyperior set you probably saw was a trick room based moveset, that explains the nature. Even if rhyperior would still be pretty slow, Adamant is better than Brave any time except you are going to use an attack like Gyro Ball or you want to use Trick Room.

For Absol, you can pick from a wide range of offensive moves, you could use Ice beam, Thunderbolt, Shadow ball. However, as you have sword dance, it might be better to use a physical attack that could take advantage of that, maybe Psycho cut, I'm not sure. Oh, and I would use Sucker Punch instead of Night Slash for priority, but that's up to you.

Mega Heracross is the only reason to use Heracross itself, really:
    -Pin Missile/Substitute
    -Close Combat
    -Rock Blast
    -Swords Dance/Substitute
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    Item: Heracronite
    Ability: Guts/Moxie

Shadow Ball is redundant with Absol's Dark STAB, as both Ghost and Dark hit Ghost and Psychic super effectively. You always go with the type that has STAB. However, since only 1 Mega can be used at a time, you have to choose between Absol or Heracross as the Mega. Like Heracross, Absol is only good in its Mega form:
    -Sucker Punch
    -Knock Off
    -Fire Blast/Ice Beam
    -Play Rough/Superpower
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Absolite
    Ability: Super Luck/Justified

Back