• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Controllers

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
  • 17mul6jd3pfhdjpg.jpg

Controllers are video games. Regardless of whether you use a Kinect, a Keyboard and Mouse, or a joystick, if you ever look at the icon for video games somewhere, you'll likely see that its face is some form of controller (including the aforementioned in that, of course).

And there are a lot of controllers out there of different types, such as boomerang that was the Sega CD controller, the 3-pronged Tyrannosaurus that was the N64 controller, and the "STOP MAKING ME ATTACK WHEN I DON'T WANT TO" controller known as Dualshock 4, all which fit different control schemes and designs. Which one is your favorite? Or your least favorite? Or what about the ones that you just found notable for their interesting/strange designs?

Last edited:

Sir Codin

- Gamecube controller
    - Xbox 360 controller
    - Dualshock 4 (best controller ever released for a Playstation console; it actually isn't shit)

The worst would probably be the Nintendo 64 controller. As much as I love the N64, that controller looked like it was designed to be used by people with three arms.

Years
  • The Xbox one currently has the best feeling controller. It's a good weight, and the triggers feel satisfying to press. The thumbsticks though...I'm not a fan of their textures.

The PS4 has a good concept, but the touch button in the middle so far is just a gimmick without a practical use for it. Not a lot of games utilize in a unique way besides making it the start or select button. The game thief had a nice concept with the LED lights on the top of the controller. Whenever you were in stealth, it'd be dark, but the more visible you were to the enemy, the whiter the LED got, which was awesome when playing in the dark,

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
  • Currently my favorite is the Xbone controller. But I'm itching to get my hands on the Xbox Elite controller.

Second was the Razer Sabertooth Xbox 360 controller

Third is the Dualshock 4

Keyboard is my favorite as all but I don't consider it a controller so that is why it is not on the top of my list here.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • This is like the... 3rd time we had controllers thread? :D
    Yep, and with that attitude I'll make a fourth. Probably a fifth, too.

I hold a special fondness for the three-pronged tyrannosaurus in the first post. Well, not fondness...disdain. Disdain in that I love its campy design and its crowd appeal, but on the pain it brought me as a child. Good ideas, but I just didn't have the necessary third appendage to make it work.

Last edited:

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
  • Gamecube controller has me most at home. Played far too many hours of Smash on it. I got a lot of mileage out of the DS2, which is enough to put it slightly above DS3; from the little of use I've used the DS4, that seems to be a contender to beat the DS2 though.

One controller in particular that surprised me was the Dreamcast's. At first glance, it look rather, uncomfortable. It has a rather bulky design and might give off a similar feel akin to the original Xbox controller. It's not! In fact, think of it more as a small plate with very comfortable handles. That might not be the best description of it, but I swear it's great. I could do without the VMU slot though.

Not an official product, but the HORI SNES GC controller is fantastic and it's an absolute wonder to use the Gameboy Player with it.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • My favorite controller has got to be the powerglove. Its so bad

The SNES, PS1 with Analog sticks, Original XBox controller, PS2, PS3, DS4, and the gamecube controllers are some of my favorites of all time.

The SNES deserves my mention not just for it being a good controller, but it was also one of those controllers that really meshed well with most of the SNES games' control schemes. It was a really great controller for its time. Rarely was a SNES game, not counting the really bad ones, had issues with "player vs controls" since the SNES controller was really well designed.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Speaking of the SNES controller, you all guys should thank it too since pretty much every current controller in use is based in one way or other to the layout used by the SNES.

Now if only I could find a super-comfortable controller for my computer...

Early

☆ My, how the Earth does move... ☆
    Years
  • The Gamecube controller is one of my favorites, if not my top! It just feels so comfortable in my hands, and the shoulder buttons are some of the best on any remote. I don't really think there's anything about it that I don't like, though some third-party GCN controllers aren't that great; we have a turbo remote that's light as plastic, and has stiff buttons that click rather than smoothly press - we can't play games like Smash Bros. with it because of that.

My other favorite controller is the SNES, even though it's almost too small for my hands. I like the SNES layout and shoulder buttons just as much, but my least favorite controller might have to be the Sega Genesis; I don't hate it, but the curvy shape/feel and having three buttons in a row instead of two is a bit weird.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • The best controllers I've ever used are:

- Gamecube controller
    - Xbox 360 controller
    - Dualshock 4 (best controller ever released for a Playstation console; it actually isn't ****)

The worst would probably be the Nintendo 64 controller. As much as I love the N64, that controller looked like it was designed to be used by people with three arms.

This is basically what I was going to say, haha. Gamecube controller is by far my favorite. It looks good, all the buttons are easily accessible and it's easy to tell them apart. It just feels nice. The 360 controller, despite how much I have railed on the console, is a great controller. Again, it feels nice and it's easy to differentiate what everything on it is. It's a simple design too, which I think is nice. Very good on the eyes. Dualshock 4, despite me not getting to play my PS4 that much, is such a step up from the 3. I went back to my PS3 one night and was like "oh........this........controller..........sucks" haha. I also share the same sentiments on the N64 one. Great console, weird controller, but I don't exactly hate it since I don't know any games that needed you to use the d-pad AND joystick...so you were always holding one or the other. It's just a bit weird, is all.

I also want to mention the Wii U Gamepad because if you don't think being able to go to the bathroom and play Earthbound or Mario Kart 8 is awesome, you are missing out.

Back