• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mario Kart Franchise

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
  • Mario Kart Franchise

With Mario Kart 8 just around the corner, let's hype it up a little bit by looking at the game so far as well as some of the past Mario Kart games. What do you think of the new Mario Kart game so far after watching some of the trailers? Which Mario Kart game was your favorite to play? Do you have a favorite track to race on? Who do you tend to gravitate towards as your driver?

Discuss!

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
    Years
  • I think Mario Kart 8 is looking pretty good so far. For favorite Mario Kart games to play, my favorites are 64, DS, Wii, and 7. As for favorite tracks my favorites are the N64 version of Bowser's Castle and Waluigi Pinball in Mario Kart DS. I was glad when both of those courses showed up as retro courses in Mario Kart Wii and Mario Kart 7 respectively. As for drivers, I tend to circulate between Bowser, Wario, Waluigi, and Donkey Kong.

Darkwing Ducklett

Let's get dangerous
    Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2014
    I can't really bring myself to be excited about this...it's not really all that different from the last one. That's not a bad thing, but I have no real incentive to buy or play it...well, the shell that comes with the special edition looks nice, but I'm not buying it just for that. xD

Double Dash is still my favourite, because it's the only one I could really play with my younger brother - he couldn't drive a kart properly by himself, and just watching me do it was boring for the both of us. We'd usually play as Baby Mario and Baby Bowser, since his favourite kart was the train, and the giant spiky shell special was extremely useful no matter what position you were in.

Years
  • Id have to say my favorite Mario kart is double dash, just because the unique Items each character got plus 2 drivers meant x2 the mayhem, second would have to be Snes for its really fun battle mode.

Favorite driver would have to be Dry Bones or King Boo, dry bones because he is quick and King Boo because he is one of my favorite villains.

Favorite track would have to be Koopa Cape, I dont know why but I am just really good at this track, followed by Waluigi's Pinball.

Years
  • The ones I've played are Mario Kart SNES, N64 and Double Dash!!, all of which were fantastic for their time and still are. I went through a nostalgic moment yesterday going through YouTube videos of the older games and just taking a moment to reminisce in the old school tracks. I'd say Mario Kart 64 had some of the best racetracks, and having an almost duplicate version in Mario Kart 8 makes me want to get a Wii U just for that game.

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
    Years
  • It looks awesome! Too bad, I don't have a game system to play it on. I really only played Double Dash, Mario Kart for the Nintendo 64 and Mario Kart DS.
    In the first Mario Kart, I believe I used Yoshi.
    In Double Dash, I used Toad and Koopa in Toad's car.
    And on the DS I either used Dry Bones or Bowser.

I'd probably use Yoshi in this new one though.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    I'm surprised at the Double Dash love.

I thought the driving felt like you're controlling a bar of soap.

Now THIS game is super tight.

Mario Kart Franchise

It's straight up F-Zero once you master it.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
    Years
  • The Mario Kart Super Circuit was ok for me. But the longer I played it, the more I wished I was playing another Mario Kart game.

Also, I reaaallyyy can't wait for Mario Kart 8 to come out, I'm going to buy it ASAP! :D

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Super Circuit takes a lot of skills to play. It seems unresponsive and very skiddy, but once you get the hang of it you'll see that it just requires a considerable amount of learning. It is essentially an F-Zero game in that regard, except with items that wouldn't matter if you're good.

I can see why someone wouldn't like it, they don't have to put the time into it. It's my favorite, but Mario Kart DS and Mario Kart 7 are the best ones, and I really like both of them as well. Generally the handheld Mario Karts are way better than the console ones, imo.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
    Years
  • Hmm, maybe that's why. I played different Mario Karts than Circuit since those appealed to me more and didn't take the time to really get the hang of it.

Mario Kart 7 was really good :P
    And how about Mario Kart Wii? I actually never got around to play that one.. =/
    Is it good?

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Wii is my least favorite. Tracks are far too wide and the item ratio is absolutely terrible. The game is chaotic and unbalanced in the worst sense.

You might as well call it Mario Bike Wii. Karts suck compared to bikes.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
    Years
  • Wow, really? I expected it to be good considering the game was pretty much praised for most of it's part.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Mario Kart Double Dash and Mario Kart Wii are actually the most criticized game in the series and rightfully so.

Mario Kart 7 is a refined Mario Kart Wii and is MUCH better.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Mario Kart, aaaa. I love it. <3 So far, my favorite's gotta be 7. Love how much customization they allow you here, and those tracks are very fun to get through. Plus, with 3D, I find the gameplay experience to be much more entertaining. Second and third favorites would have to be Double Dash and 64, respectively.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Best thing about Mario Kart 7 is that it retains 60fps even in 3D.

Mario Kart 64 handles poorly. When Luigi turns, he'll slide to the opposite side a little.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • I own all 7 installments of the series, and soon it'll be 8 once the newest one comes out next month. My only beef about the series is the continuing inclusions of second versions of an already-existing character as a separate driver. It makes me concerned about a time paradox within the Mario universe, because unlike the Zelda universe, where there is more than one Link and Zelda, there is only one Mario, one Luigi, one Peach, one Bowser, etc. Any of unused light-weight characters such as Sniftet and Bandit could've taken the baby characters' place, while any heavy-weight such as Boom-Boom and K. Rool would've easily replaced Dry Bowser and Metal Mario.

Mario Kart 64 handles poorly. When Luigi turns, he'll slide to the opposite side a little.

Strange, because my brother mentioned how MK7 felt too easy compared to MK64 due to not having trouble with the rubber band A.I. on 150cc. My neighbor also mentioned how they messed up the original pipe-frame karts in MK7 by making them difficult to control.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Seems more like they're just used to MK64.

MK64 has pretty bad handling. Out of the 3D MKs, MK7 actually handles the best. Super responsive.

I use Wario + Boat + Gold tires or DK + Barrel train + Wood tires almost exclusively nowadays though, so maybe it depends on the your set up. I don't remember having much trouble with the pipe karts, they're what I used most when I got the game first.

Back