• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen D/P/P or HG/SG

Which is better? HG/SS or D/P/P

• HG/SS

Votes: 17 53.1%
  • D/P/P

Votes: 15 46.9%

• Total voters

The Serious Table

Can't touch this
Years
  • Well, we can all agree 4th gen is awesome, and it had some of the best evolutions of all time. It also had tons of legendaries to collect and battle with in game to make you feel invincible. Personally I loved it, what do you guys think? I know that some people hate on 4th gen because of evolutions, but I want your opinions. Mine is D/P/P because it's more nostalgic and there's tons to do. But hats just my opinion. So which is better?? You decide!!

Last edited:
    Years
  • HG/SS for me, I think my love of the original Silver may have a lot to do with my decision but even without that, a lot of the features like having the Pokémon follow you this time around and the inclusion of the Pokéathlon would have pushed me in that direction anyways :)

On top of that I just love the story, characters and 2 region deal but it's still not an easy decision cause Diamond's also one of my favourite games in the series :)

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Gen IV was awesome as a whole so definitely a difficult choice, these were two sets of my all time favourite Pokémon games. I think I'd have to go with D/P/PT though since Sinnoh is my second favourite region, and the post-storyline content in Platinum is brilliant.

Years
  • Both Platinum and HGSS are great to me, but thinking it over I would have to pick HGSS. I like having your Pokémon follow you around, and most of the Gym Leaders are nice challenges. It also gives you that feeling of wide open roaming and being able to do what you want, especially given how awesome the post-game is (it only rivals BW2 in terms of that). Platinum is very good, don't get me wrong, but I like HGSS more.

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2017
    I liked HG/SS because of being able to be followed by Pokemon, but there is something about D/P/Pt that continuously draws me in. My favorite Pokemon game it Platinum, it's just amazing the Antagonists were memorable. It made many older/unused Pokemon stronger and useful. ^^

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I prefer HG/SS. Many of my best Pokemon memories come from Gold, so HG/SS hold a lot of nostalgic value for me. I really enjoyed DPP as well, and a lot of hours into Diamond, but I don't have the same attachment to those games. Admittedly, though, I think more of my attachment is to Gold than to HG itself, but I really liked the updated features, and I had been looking forward to returning to Johto for years.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • Ooh, tough decision because I loved both games. I think I'll go with Platinum/DPPt though because I think those games brought a lot of great things in. There weren't many Pokemon that I significantly disliked, a lot of new evolutions, plus my favorite graphic style was introduced. I also really liked some of the music and have a hard time debating which starter to pick each time I play through.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Although Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum did provide something fresh and unique, I still feel that I liked HeartGold and SoulSilver better. This is mostly due to nostalgic reasons, though.

Years
  • I really enjoyed both D/P/P and HG/SS, but I think that I liked D/P/P a little better, Pokemon Platinum to be specific. I really liked the story line for that game since it was a fresh journey, and probably one of the more darker stories in a Pokemon game. It adds a little bit of depth into the game in my opinion. Both of them had the Battle Frontier though, which is amazing. I'm so glad that they have it in both games. I'm going to be honest, I liked Sinnoh as a region just a little more than Johto. Nothing against Johto at all, but I had more fun exploring Sinnoh. Something that HG/SS have over D/P/P is the graphics. Pokemon Platinum had improved graphics over Pokemon Diamond and Pearl, but Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver improved on it so much more. The water is beautiful, I can't resist.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • While HG/SS were really well done remakes, my pick goes to D/P/Pt. While Diamond and Pearl did have a few problems with their releases, they brought along some revolutionary changes, most important being the Physical/Special split, something that's helped to reshape the competitive metagame. The story was a breath of fresh air, and among the more creepy and dark stories in the Pokemon series. I liked Platinum especially because it was a Pokemon main series game that didn't seem so much like Pokemon at all. Cyrus' plans, the Distortion World and Giratina itself made the game darker than a Pokemon game should be. Platinum introduced a lovely cast of characters, like Looker and Charon, while HG/SS reworked the story of Gold and Silver and made good use of current-generation technology to create a crisp, clean game and something that looked brand-new. I liked Sinnoh more partially due to nostalgia, and the fact that I loved the locations in Sinnoh and the story Diamond, Pearl and most importantly, Platinum gave me. No hate to HG/SS though, they were excellent also.

Oh, did I really forget to mention Platinum's my favourite Pokemon game?

Last edited:
    Years
  • HG/SS seemed too overrated to me back then, D/P/P was quickly forgotten at this point, it's a shame, because for me that game has the best storyline and the most wonderful (also my favorite) regions. I love Sinnoh and 4th Gen Pokemon in overall, as well as the new evolution methods that came out with it. Platinum is one of my most favorite games overall to this day.

Years
  • Uh this is actually pretty hard. Although Sinnoh had my least favorite new Pokemon design-wise the games were really addicting and hard to drop. HG/SS on the other hand were remakes of some of my favorite games... even if the battle animations and PC went by extremely slowly. >_>;;

I think I'll go with HG/SS though hrm. Awesome music and characters yes.

Years
  • That's a hard decision, but I chose HG/SS because I honestly think they were the best Pokemon games of all time, followed by D/P/Pt. Lately I've been working on a living Pokedex in my SS, (with a simultaneous goal of depositing 999 pokemon in My Pokemon Ranch) with the assistance of all 5 of my gen 3 game carts and also Diamond and Pearl. I'm about 80 pokemon away from finishing it, and really, this generation is my favorite of all of them. It's the perfect balance of new features and nostalgia, and the graphics are just excellent. But I think the remakes of Gold and Silver are just truly fantastic. Everything is just so vibrant, in the spirit of how vibrant the graphics seemed in GSC compared to RBY, and just skdrglhdkfjg EVERYTHING ABOUT HGSS IS MY FAVE.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    I didn't seem to like HG/SS, the original gen 2 was my less favorite of the bunch. so D/P/Pt for me.

Years
    • TN
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    Dude p/d/p gave us Luxray, Empoleon, Darkrai, Staraptor, Lucario, Garchomp, and our lord and savior Arceus. nuff said.

but... i will agree HGSS were pretty good if not only for the amount of legendaries and the following pokemon

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • I'm only going to say HG/SS because there are more gym battles and the Pokeathlon, but DPPt had Super Contest and I enjoyed those way more than the stupid Pokeathlon. uuugh, but I can safely say that the 4th generation of gaming is definitely my favorite generation of Pokemon games.

:t354:TG

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • Well I hated the DPPt maps and pretty much all of the pokemon from that generation, but I do like the HGSS remakes, and that is the 4th gens only saving grace for me.

Years
  • HeartGold and SoulSilver are superior aesthetically, have 2 regions, Mewtwo, and Red! That wins the fight for me.

Back