• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Most useless moves? (besides Splash)

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
  • Another move I'd mention is Fling. I don't really see this move useful at all given it makes you permanently lose your held item, and like I said about Quash I don't think it even deserved to be a TM.

Fling is actuzlly one of the most useful moves out there when it's used correctly. The biggest abuser is Unburden Ambipom holding a Toxic or Flame Orb. It gets a speed boost from losing its item, and Acrobatics has extra power from the lack of a hold item.

It's also good on a Pokemon with Klutz. The Toxic/Flame Orb won't activate on it, so you can Fling it any time you want.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Ally Switch (yes, that is an actual move) is a pretty useless move. Why the hell would you waste a moveslot on that? If I wanna switch pokes, I'll do it the normal way or use U-Turn/Volt Switch. There's even the Eject Button.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    Syncronoise is completely worthless and is resisted by almost all pokémon it effects.

Years
  • Syncronoise is completely worthless and is resisted by almost all pokémon it effects.

Even worse, they gave Umbreon this move but it can't affect anything.

However, I do see a handy use for it, particularly if one playing Pokemon X is trying to catch the one Seviper in the Zangoose/Seviper hordes on Route 8. I used a Noctowl knowing Synchronoise which knocked all the Zangoose out and left Seviper standing, and ended with me finally catching it.

KostK2Boss

Europe Confirmed!!!
    Years
  • I agree with all the posts so far saying Synchronoise and Quash are useless. Now some of my own choices:
    Bide: Why is it useless you ask? If you have a bulky Pokemon that can comfortably take a bunch of hits, you can retaliate with double the power. Except that - you know - your opponent could use the Bide turns to set up, or simply switch to a hard counter, instead of hitting you with weak attacks. At least Counter and Mirror Coat have a surprise factor to them in that you can use them to take down Pokemon that are otherwise left unscratched by your STAB moves.
    Rock Smash: It's so weak that even with STAB factored in it still doesn't even do much damage to Pokemon that are 4x weak to Fighting (it doesn't help that a lot of Fighting-type Pokemon don't learn that many Fighting moves through level-up). The Defence drop doesn't even have a 100% chance of happening. Pretty much every other HM in the games is at least usable in battle. Even Flash at least lowers your opponent's accuracy, allowing you to hax the AI to death. Maybe if they upped the BP to 60 or even 80, it would actually be useful for more than just breaking rocks.
    Metronome: It largely depends on luck whether it is actually helpful or not, but with thousands of moves it can mimic, the odds of coming up with a good one don't look so good.

Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2014
    Mud sport. Literally none of the Pokemon who can learn this move are weak to electric attacks.

Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2014
    I would like to add perish song as you can easily just switch a pokemon in.

Now excuse me, I've had tone of instances where perish song is good, for instance when it's your opponents last pokemon.

FloatingMew

Keeping 1 post a day ^^
    Years
  • All of the sports are terrible. You waste one turn to lower the opponents (Blank)Type moves. Why not just use Growl? Or you could use reflect and light screen if you don't want them to do as much damage.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • Aside from Celebrate which Khrysta already brought up, I'd say Memento would be right up there as one of the most useless moves. Sure, I guess it lowers the attack and special attack of your opponent after causing your Pokemon to faint, but that's quickly countered by switching their Pokemon.

memento. god, that's so useless.

Yeah, as someone said earlier (Jamais I think?) it can be easily countered just by switching. Never even see a use for it at all.

The foe's Latios used Memento!
    The foe's Latios fainted!
    Greninja's Atk harshly fell!
    Greninja's Sp. Atk harshly fell!
    Opponent sent out Pinsir!
    The foe's Pinsir has Mega Evolved into Mega Pinsir!
    The foe's Mega Pinsir used Swords Dance!

gg

>to those who say memento is useless

Anyway, Glaciate is useless. Basically Icy Wind with 10 more BP, or Icy Wind on steroids. And don't get me started on the sports and Synchronoise.

Aelita Schaeffer

Queen of Espurr
    Years
  • worry seed is a move that prevents your opponent from falling asleep because it has insomonia. where is the use in that?

it can be used to block rest if you don't want a snorlax or something doing that. but how could we forget about spite, the not quite disable move and imprison, which disables moves only if BOTH pokemon know the move

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • Worry Seed is not that useless if you're really worried (no pun intended) about Pokemon who rely heavily on their abilities (example: Choice Band Scizor with Technician)

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
    Years
  • Aside from Celebrate which Khrysta already brought up, I'd say Memento would be right up there as one of the most useless moves. Sure, I guess it lowers the attack and special attack of your opponent after causing your Pokemon to faint, but that's quickly countered by switching their Pokemon.

Memento does have a use in places like the Battle Subway. I've seen strategies where you make one of your opponent's Pokemon useless with things like Memento, Flash, Bulldoze (to lower Speed), Power Split, etc. Once you've made one Pokemon useless, you bring in something that can set-up, and since your opponent can barely hurt you, you can set up to +6 whatever and then sweep through the other team.

I do think Mud Sport is pretty much useless when you consider that most of the Pokemon who learn it are Ground-types and thus already immune to Electric-type attacks.

Back