• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Best remake?

Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2015
    Looking to play a remake of a classic like red/blue...which should I play of the remade games like omega, firered, etc...

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    HeartGold and SoulSilver. They're the DS remakes of the Generation 2 games (Gold/Silver/Crystal), and they're pretty good games to start with. They have far more content than the originals (especially GS) did, and their graphics and mechanics still hold up pretty well. Being DS games, they can still be played on a 3DS, although they can't use wi-fi or transfer to Pokémon Bank.

Now, if you want something newer and with all of the latest bells and whistles and full compatibility with the newest games, then OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire are the way to go. I'm not a fan of Hoenn or its story at all, but these games are visually nice and at least, are more playable than the original RSE.

FireRed and LeafGreen are a waste of time at this point. They can't be played on the newest handheld, have no compatibility with the newest games, and are missing three whole Generations' worth of graphical and mechanical upgrades. They also didn't add much to the original Red and Blue, to begin with. Unless you really want 2D color graphics and a non-annoying Bag, there's no reason to play them over the originals anymore (unless you're into ROM hacking, that is).

Last edited:

magicalgirlj

I liek Popplio
    Years
  • Well so far the only one's I have played are Heart Gold and Soul Silver. It has me reminiscing on my childhood. I love the Pokewalker and the Pokethon

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    You could try HeartGold or SoulSilver it have mechanic from Yellow or you want remake with pokemon-amie, Try Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire for a brilliant 3d Graphics and all that (ORAS playable on 2DS or 3DS)

You can play with your friend or offline, but YOU CAN'T trade/battle people on the internet due to Wifi connection for Gen4/5 has been closed. But you can still do a trade/battle with wireless connection

Though if you want to trade/battle people over the internet, better buy ORAS than HG/SS
    *Of course. You can have super secret base which you can share the Qcode with fellow pokecommunites or friend with ORAS as their game oh and super training.

Last edited:

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years
  • Well imo....

FRLG- Was ok but I still play both remakes and originals.

HGSS- I love and it seems a bit different from the originals, which I played approximently 456,268,102,908 time.

ORAS- A lot of it is hype, but the newer features are really great too.

I'm going with: 1. OrAs, 2. HGSS, 3. FRLG.

But really tho dem Sinnoh remakes? 8D

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I personally feel Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire are the best.

I've enjoyed their pre-makes--Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald--quite a ton, and had loved going through them again with greater graphics, sound, and other aspects of the like. Been waiting for their remake for a long time, and was glad to finally see them get through with it.

Though, there was definitely some things that had disappointed me, with one being lack of character customization feature; if it were there, I believe things would generally have been much, more interesting. It might be slightly understandable as to why they would stay away from this feature in these two games, however, considering May and Brendan are already-established characters (and us being able to freely personalize them would ruin that).

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • What do you plan to play it on?

If on handheld, then HGSS (best one) or ORAS (latest one).

If on emulator, your better choice is FRLG, because HGSS has some weird bugs with Desmume and won't run well on No$GBA at all. Actually, No$GBA isn't even worthy of mention, it currently is a piece of shit that won't satisfactorily run the newer DS games without hacks.

Gligar

Bruhfication Sayan
    Years
  • FRLF - Idk about it cuz I never played it.

HGSS - Great game if you're still new to pokemon! You'll enjoy it for sure!

ORAS - Great game too. It's the next gen stuff, you know what I mean?

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
    Years
  • It's a tie between HG/SS and AS/OR for me. Both are beautiful in the graphics department, and stuffed to the gills with content too. It's a shame the wifi for HG/SS is kaput now, but we didn't have such fanciness in the original Gold and Silver, and I still enjoyed those. And well, you got two whole
    areas to explore, 16 badges to collect, oodles of extra finishing to try out and more!

AS/OR on the other hand...don't actually have much to add that's not already been mentioned in this thread. Tis the hottest Pokémon property at the moment, is an admirable remake on par with HG/SS and has fancy Wi-Fi features if you like that sort of thing.

FR/LF I wouldn't recommend as much. Yes, it's old, but at the time it was quite good, especially since I was never able to play the original games. If you want to play it for the story then it's worth a shot. I wouldn't play it though for any other reasons. (And migrating from those GBA games is something of a pain...)

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 5, 2024
    The jhoto remakes are pure greatness, the only real downside to them is the lack of online features(I didnt use online at all in the DS lite era)

Years
  • If you're looking for a game with a lot of content, then HGSS delivers in that regard, because as people have mentioned it comes with two full-fledged regions along with more post-game than almost any other game before it. Not to mention the walking Pokémon feature is always a fun thing.

But I think ORAS wins in terms of adventure, since training is so much easier and you have an arguably more interesting set of selections for teams to go with. But with post-game, it loses to the Johto representation.

Years
  • I'll be honest, I prefer Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver much more over any remake. They're actually my second favorite Pokemon games up to this date. They felt like good remakes to Gold/Silver. I really like how good these games look. The graphics overall are spectacular for a DS game of 2009 (Japan). The colors were very vibrant, which is what I like to see in a Pokemon game. I also like the story of these games. They felt more natural than most other Pokemon games. They aren't too extreme like the more recent titles. The after game was also very well done. Probably the best after game I have seen if I say so myself. Some games give you extra areas to roam around, but these games gave you an entirely different region!

I also like Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire. They were pretty good remakes of Ruby/Sapphire, but a lot of things felt different, and not in a good way.

I haven't playing Pokemon FireRed/LeafGreen a whole lot, so I don't have much of an opinion for them. Apologies for that.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    It depends on why you want to play a remake. If you're looking for a nostalgia trip, then I'd start with the remake of whichever games were your favorites. If you want a remake with the most content, I'd go with HG/SS, for the reasons mentioned by previous posters. And if you want a game with all of the modern improvements that just happens to be a remake, go with OR/AS.

HG/SS are my favorite remakes. They definitely offer the most content, especially post-game content, of the remake options, and they're playable on the newest system or any other member of the DS family (unlike FR/LG). While the lack of wifi features is disappointing, they're still great games, and even with just a single system, you can enjoy most of what they have to offer. (Add in an extra DS, and you can trade with yourself, further reducing the disadvantages of not having wifi.) They also do a great job of staying true to the original games while adding in new features (like the Battle Frontier and Pokeathlon). Admittedly, gen 2 was my personal favorite, so my nostalgia goggles bias me towards HG/SS over the other remakes, but I think they're objectively the most fleshed-out remakes available, if you can get your hands on them.

OR/AS, the gen 3 remakes, offer the newest features, but as others have said, they felt a little bare-bones to me. Yes, they improved the graphics, have great breeding mechanics, etc., but the post-game is lacking, and they don't have features like the Battle Frontier. If you're a gen III fan, then I suspect you'll still love them, and some of my negativity may stem from the fact that I didn't like Hoenn that much in R/S. (That's not to say OR/AS aren't good--I enjoyed them a lot--but they weren't of the same quality as HG/SS IMO.) Since OR/AS so easy to find these days, you may as well pick them up and play them, but if you want a remake that's packed with content and you're only able/willing to get one, I would go with HG/SS.

I enjoyed FR/LG, but they're pretty dated at this point, and they can't be played on the newest system, if that's an issue for you. If gen 1 was your favorite, I would still try to find them and play them. They stay very true to the original games, though there isn't too much expansion in content (there are a few islands, a couple of side-quests, and a second-round Elite Four, as well as breeding and the like, but that's about it). They are pre-physical/special split, which seems to bother a lot of people, so be aware of that if that matters to you.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    Johto for sure. Hoenn is one of my favorite regions but the remake simply didn't hold up to the glory of the original. I actually got bored of it and I haven't picked it up in a while. It simply wasn't worth playing through. Plus, having pokemon follow you around in HG/SS was really cool.

Back