• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

English - Sub or Dub?

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
Years
GOD, SUBS.

More often than not, a good joke in a the sub is taken out of context, or toned and dumbed down in the dub. I don't hate dubs, I just tend to enjoy the weekly subbed episodes than I do watching something on TV or DVD or whatever.

In my humble experience at least.

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
Years
It depends what the Anime is before I can decide either Sub or Dub. Like I actually like the dub for ouran high school host club but I despise the one for Inazuma Eleven and prefer subs for that

Musashi

Nope, that's not me
Years
I prefer subtitled versions. Every now and then I'll watch a dub, but that depends on the voice actors and how much of the dialogue has been changed.

JP

wut?
Years
  • Age 33
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 13, 2019
Probably gonna be one of the few to say this, but I prefer dubs over subs. Reasons are obvious, I like hearing it in a language I can understand. Also not a big fan of reading subtitles (unless they're necessary of course.)

I've watched a few subs, and if I enjoy the anime enough, I'll keep watching it with subs. Generally though, I do prefer dubs. I suppose you could say I don't know better, nor do I really want to "know better" since I'm perfectly comfortable with dubs.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
I can usually tolerate both (Pokemon is an exception, the dub is horrible and makes me want to break stuff) but I mostly watch in subs since most of the anime I watch is non-mainstream and isn't dubbed anyway (either fansubbed or on sub-only DVD releases).

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years

Yeeeaaaaah, this is incredibly dependent upon the skills of the translator and their mastery of both Japanese and English.

I go with both, there are good dubs, there are bad dubs, so no reason to write it all off. Fansubs can be...pretty atrocious in their translations (or lack thereof), there are many "translators" that leave Japanese words in their scripts for nonsensical reasons and can easily miss dialect specifications and change the entire tone of a character.
I freaking hate most fansubbers for this very reason. It's gotten so bad that any time I'm watching a fansub, the whole time, I read every line going "is that really what they just said? Is this a decent translation? Oh god they're leaving honorifics in, is this normal??"

I used to think subs were superior all the time, and they can be when it comes to professional jobs (simply because I think there's a larger pool of good Japanese voice actors compared to the ten handful of English voice actors they choose from), but I haven't been on much of an anime kick lately so when I watch something, I prefer it to be dubbed in most situations. Dubs really aren't so bad, especially if they were never aired on North American TV since they're less likely to have been cut and censored to shreds, and that was really the only issue I ever had with dubbed anime. Now I like to watch anime and do something else at the same time, like browse the web, talk to friends, or grind in video games or something. It's much easier to multitask if my eyes don't have to dart up to read subtitles every second, so I go for dubs whenever they're available.

But sometimes the dubs are just too bad to bother with. When They Cry, case in point. ;_;

Years
  • Seen yesterday
Maybe subs, because my english listening skill is not good (I learn english through reading online). But, although my english listening skill is good, I think I would also choose subs, because I prefer to let the Japanese voice remains.

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
Years
Usually -if not almost- I go for the subs. I have to translate the language anyways, and it's still easier for me to translate written language than spoken language. Though I now can watch (English) movies without (Dutch) subtitles, there's always something I might miss, so subs usually cover that.
Some anime I watch don't have dubbed equivalent either, and I just tend to usually like the original dub work just a wee bit more. I usually watch things in their original language, usually "the closer to the original the better". Usually. And that's not just anime.

And with Dutch subtitled releases often being of mediocre quality, fansubs are usually the best option. |D Sad, no?

Years
  • Seen Jul 28, 2012
I'll go with the Dub every time. The only exception is 4Kids One Piece, but the Funimation one fixed this issue. I don't see the problem with Dubs usually. Sometimes the voices sound a bit goofy, or off but it's kind of hypocritic to say that because unless you know fluent japanese you can't really judge these things. Besides, it allows you to focus more on the screen.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 28, 2019
Mainly sub, because the dubs are usually horrible. But, there are some exceptions such as Baccano!, Ghost in the Shell, Pokemon, etc.

PokéSwimmer

Keeping time time time
Years
I can tolerate dubs to an extent, though I generally prefer subs. The main exception to this is the funimation dub of the Dragon Ball series. That was actually one of the VERY few cases in which the dub was actually superior to the original.

poopydude

PKMN Master
Years
I can't believe i am saying this but When 4kids was dubbing the show i preferred the dub. now that Ash sounds like a Chain Smoker on speed i prefer the sub

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
I did watch dubs when I was little but now I really hate it...
Because of cut scenes, cut openings and endings etc...
And Anime is from Japan so it should be watched in Japanese =D
So subs in my case =D

Graceful

あぁ、たいさ!♥
Years
I personally prefer subs, because most the time, the dubs I find aren't very good in my opinion and some are just completely bad. Like I watched K-On! in Japanese with english subs and found it quite good, I watched the first episode of the dubbed version and I was utterly disappointed.
I find some good dubs, like Sailor Moon, Pokemon, Digimon, Tokyo Underground, - mainly the older animes.

Years
for me, it gets a bit more complex than a black an white answer. If I'm feeling busy, doing wiki editing/article writing, etc, i really don't want to be flicking back to watch a show in Jaoanese every few seconds. usually if the dub is decent enough, I listen to it in English.

if Im just watching the anime normally, I usually watch it in japanese with subs, although I do have a few series I prefer to watch in english (Cowboy Bebop, Gurren Lagann, Bleach, Monster, and a couple of others.)

Back