• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The NFL Discussion Thread

Years
  • Don't know if this would be beyond your knowledge, but how do you think this Seattle defense compares to the '85 Chicago Bears? I've been listening to people trying to compare the two these past few days.

I don't know about that, that team was straight balling in a different way. I think '13-'14 Seahawks aren't quite there. I mean the '85 Bears had a stretch where they allowed 3 points in 3 games. That's ridiculous. With some more DL components, the Seahawks could reach that level; possibly even better, but for now I give that slight to Chicago.

I'm taking a Seattle 21 vs. New England 17 SB, with Sherm nabbing a game-clinching pick. Would love a Colts Pack SB though, respect both teams (even though I'm a Cowboy fan) and I love Luck.

Years
    • Seen Mar 21, 2016
    I said Patriots vs Seahawks last year the day after the SB so sticking with that, I really feel they have a great chance to retain their defence is one of the best the NFL has ever seen.

I think its fair to compair the Seahawks defence to the 85 Bears, look what they did to a red hot Broncos offense at last seasons Superbowl and back in 85 im sure it would of been legal to do more tackling and less penalties to help defensively

Lizardo

Public Enemy
    Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    It's an annoyingly safe call that just about everyone's making, but I don't see any other Superbowl other than Seattle vs. New England happening.

I'm happy that Green Bay beat the Cowboys, but if their defense could hardly stop DeMarco Murray I don't see how they fare any better against Lynch. The Packers also don't have the luxury of playing at home this time, and they're going against a superior defense. And the Broncos-Patriots game is going to have the same result as the last one.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • It's an annoyingly safe call that just about everyone's making, but I don't see any other Superbowl other than Seattle vs. New England happening.

I'm happy that Green Bay beat the Cowboys, but if their defense could hardly stop DeMarco Murray I don't see how they fare any better against Lynch. The Packers also don't have the luxury of playing at home this time, and they're going against a superior defense. And the Broncos-Patriots game is going to have the same result as the last one.

It's going to be a long game for the Packers, but I wouldn't rule them out just yet. If they can get the running game going against the Seahawks and not become one dimensional with their offense, I think they could have a legitimate shot at reaching the Super Bowl. It also depends on how healthy Rodgers has been in that calf recovery.

Sloan Kettering

Robot Master
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Ohio
    • Seen Aug 17, 2018
    I really don't care at this point, but I really don't wanna see Green Bay or New England in the Super Bowl. This coming from someone that kinda likes both teams. It's just far too generic and annoying to see the same teams over and over.

kyuubi93

What a bother
    Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2018
    Right now I'm annoyed by the fact that I have no choice but to root for the Packers. I'm in no way a fan of the team, but my team is the Arizona Cardinals, and there's a lot of things I'll do before I root for the Seahawks. I have respect for the players on the team, and Marshawn Lynch always cracks me up with his antics in his interviews with the media. But when it comes to the game, they are a really good division rival that I won't ever pick to win.

I'm hoping Andrew Luck shows what got him here. Both he and Brady have a lot on the line- Brady has the pressure on him to win this game and make it to another Super Bowl and he's inspired, which isn't surprising considering the fact that he's getting old in football years and his window is closing. And Andrew Luck has the pressure to show what got him to where he is in the first place and take it even further. I feel like Brady has more pressure due to his veteran status, but Luck still has the pressure of going up against the all time great in the first place. This will be the game to watch in my opinion.

So, I have a question for you guys: Which playoff contenders this year do you think have a shot to make it far in the next post-season IF their teams are able to stay healthy enough and continue the high level of play?

Arizona Cardinals
    I've been itching to talk about this one. I know the if's will never be, but they're nice to dream about for the hope of next season. If our QB1 hadn't went down, I think the red sea would have kept the number one seed and home field advantage in the playoffs with a 13-3 record, easily. But, fate wouldn't have it. My team is facing a lot of question marks right now, but I still believe they're thriving under Bruce Arians. The last two seasons have been stellar, and I expect nothing less from my head coach next season. Of course we might be without Fitz, and our beloved DC Todd Bowles recently signed a contract as the Jet's head coach, I think the pieces are still in place for the team to keep moving forward. Bruce Arians has a way of figuring things out, something I've learned these past few seasons.

Dallas Cowboys
    I haven't been keeping up much on their contract's recently, but I did see a twitter comment somewhere about both Dez and Murray on the end of their contracts. I had high hopes for Dallas before the season began and it was awful to see them lose in such a fashion, they were primed for a great run, had everything on the line and everything in place for it. Alas, things just didn't work out. All and all, I still think the team can make another post-season run next year. I tip my hat to the Cowboys, probably one of the biggest shockers this year for the majority with average expectations.

Carolina Panthers
    Even though they beat my team, our crappy QB3 and made it to the playoffs after a shaky 7-8-1 season, they have the potential to be a threatening team in the playoffs. Cam Newton's mistakes are primarily what killed their momentum, in my opinion. Still, they were great to watch and I really thought they had chances to beat the Seahawks. With the way Cam was playing before he threw the pick-6 which tied the game, he could have had a shot to tie the game up and at least send it into OT. Kam wasn't having that though, sadly. All and all, I don't think this team ended their season on too bad of a note.

Detroit Lions
    If their offense and defense can click at the same time, this team can be a serious threat.

Baltimore Ravens
    I've always loved watching Joe Flacco in the playoffs, he's a brilliant QB. On their SB run, I had them pegged to win that year before the post-season even started. I love watching this team play, and I think all the pieces are in the right places here. Joe Flacco has his regular season struggles, but he's a different QB in the playoffs and the Ravens will always be my pick to make it far into the postseason whenever it starts.

Cincinnati Bengals
    Good enough to get their foot in the door and that's about it, they've never really impressed or wow'd me in any of their one and done post-season appearances. If they can play the way they did in their win against the Bronco's late in the season come playoff time, they would be a dangerous team. But that never seems to be the case with the team.

Pittsburgh Steelers
    I'm not a fan but I am able to recognize that they're moving in the right direction after their 11-5 record this year. Big Ben can still play at a high level, and is dangerous when he has a team playing around him. Overall they are a good team, and I think they're going to make it to the playoffs against next year- if they can avoid being a one and done they can make it far, imo.

and last but not least...

Denver Broncos
    I don't really have a comment on them- head coach John Fox got fired and went to the Chicago Bears, and Peyton Manning is reportedly weighing out his decisions between retirement and another season. Lot of questions looming for this team.

Phew, that was a lot of typing!

Years
  • I think Peyton sticks around for one more year, SB or bust, and retires whether he wins it all or not. As for today, Seattle over Green Bay and NE over Colts.

Years
    • Seen Mar 21, 2016
    I did not see this coming at all the Seattle offense is having a shocker and getting completely crushed by the Green Bay defence

Lizardo

Public Enemy
    Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    Green Bay being up 16-0 at the end of the first half is a surprise, as are the combined turnovers, but the Seahawks can still turn things around if their defense shows up. All it would take right now are two touchdowns and a field goal to surpass the Packers, and there's still a ton of time left...

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
  • Lucky, being at a London game was awesome enough can't imagine being at a AFC Championship game, Green Bay have really surprised me turned up massively and think they have the win now.

I told y'all not to bet out Green Bay winning that game. It's not over obviously, but they've been playing better than expected. And I have had Patriots season tickets the last few years so this will be my third AFC Championship game I've been to.

Years
    • Seen Mar 21, 2016
    WOW moments like this is why I love the NFL, 19-7 down 47 seconds later of gametime and Seahawks are 19-22 up...

Lizardo

Public Enemy
    Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    It's the successful onside kick I'm still reeling over. Not everyday you see one of those working out.

The Packers are going for the field goal to tie it up, so we might be going to overtime.

EDIT: ... and we are.

Years
    • Seen Mar 21, 2016
    22-22 now so surely Hawks might aswell try a hail mary if it misses use your timeout nothing to lose

nope: overtime it is

Lizardo

Public Enemy
    Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    Touchdown Seattle! It's over!!!

Seriously, I know it's the popular thing to hate on the Seahawks nowadays, but this game has to be up there as one of the great NFL Conference Championship comebacks, right? The Russell Wilson touchdown, onside kick, Lynch's amazing run, and those last couple HUGE plays... it was amazing.

The Seahawks are back in the Superbowl for the second time in a row. I fully expect the Patriots to win the AFC Championship, but I'm really pulling for a Colts upset.

Last edited:

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
  • Russel Wilson sucks. If it wasn't for Marshawn Lynch, this game wouldn't even be close.

Don't get me wrong, I give Seattle credit in coming back. But that was Green Bay's game to lose and sadly, they took the foot off the pedal too damn early.

Years
    • Seen Mar 21, 2016
    Touchdown Seattle! It's over!!!

Seriously, I know it's the popular thing to hate on the Seahawks nowadays, but this game has to be up there as one of the great NFL comebacks, right? The Russell Wilson touchdown, onside kick, Lynch's amazing run, and those last couple HUGE plays... it was amazing.
    Those last plays were massive on the onside kick it was more Green Bay throwing it away by the blocker jumping the ball getting in the way of an easy catch for the player behind him.

Also the 2PT conversion was just as big massive throw from Wilson when he was going backwards and looked like it was lost without that it would of been all over

Lizardo

Public Enemy
    Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    Yeah, can't believe I forgot about the two-point conversion. That... really shouldn't have happened, but it made for an astonishing play. There's also another one that happened earlier, the Field Goal fake that lead to Seattle's first touchdown of the game.

And while it wasn't his best game by a long shot, I can't agree that Russell Wilson sucks at all.

I won't deny that there was a general collapse by the Green Bay defense at the end, and that the Packers made some crucial mistakes that caused them to miss opportunities to have sealed the game for them. But not many teams could come back from five turnovers and a 16-0 deficit in a Conference Championship game. Even less could have done what the Seahawks managed to do right at the tail end and snatch a victory from the jaws of defeat like that. They really earned that. Frankly, I think the better team won.

Back