• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ultimate Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2016
    Today I didn't play, but I decided to keep out Volbeat and Illumise. The reason for this is simple. Illumise's role was dependant on Volbeat baton passing Tail Glow (Sp. Attack boosts). Now, considering that getting Baton Pass on Volbeat would involve getting a really low-leveled Volbeat in a part of the game where my pokes are level 45 (since it requires breeding), I don't want to be bothered. I say 45, because Ninjask is the only poke that has Baton Pass and can breed with it, before the E4. (post the E4, Aipom and Ledyba can get it at a low level, but that's post E4 anyway -.-'). So I decided not to use either of them. Maybe focusing on less team members will help me by concentrating the levels.

Pekin

Wigglytuff is and has always been on acid.
    Years
  • 2nd Hoenn entry
    Version: Emerald
    Type: Grass

When I last updated, I had just trained my Treecko and my Lotad up to level 10 at Route 102. Anyway, I had no luck whatsoever finding a Seedot, which kinda pissed me off. So I moved on to Petalburg, where I had a chat with my dad and helped Wally catch a Ralts. Then I moved on through Petalburg Woods, where I caught a Shroomish, and after having evolved Lotad and Treecko, I challenged Roxanne, whom Shroomish trashed. Then I found an in-game trade that offered a Seedot for a Ralts, which made my day. However, it turned out that a rather unfriendly Seedot with Bide as its only attacking move is rather tough to train. Anyway, I managed to evolve it, train it a bit more, and then move on to Dewford, where I trained and challenged Brawly - And failed. Then I grinded a bit more, 'till they were all at level 23, which is where Shroomish evolves - Then Breloom took care of Brawly. And now I'm about to sail on with the following team:

emesprani253.gif
    Grovyle, lv. 24
    Bold Nature // Overgrow // Cheri Berry
    - Quick Attack
    - Pursuit
    - Absorb
    - Cut

This guy is.. Well, he's pretty great. With the moveset, I've planned for him, he's gonna be a beast! Or, well, I hope so, anyway.

emesprani271.gif
    Lombre, lv. 24
    Serious Nature // Swift Swim // Cheri Berry
    - Absorb
    - Fake Out
    - Astonish
    - Nature Power

Not much to say about this guy yet. He's solid. With the moveset, I've planned, he's gonna be.. Useful.

emesprani274.gif
    Nuzleaf, lv. 24
    Relaxed Nature // Early Bird // Chesto Berry
    - Rock Tomb
    - Fake Out
    - Bide
    - Nature Power

This guy was impossible before obtaining Brawly's badge. Now, when he is obeying, he does sem to be a very worthy member of my team indeed. But he's gonna kick ass, when he evolves and gets the brilliant moveset, I've planned for him.

emesprani286.gif
    Breloom, lv. 24
    Relaxed Nature // Effect Spore // Cheri Berry
    - Mega Drain
    - Headbutt
    - Bullet Seed
    - Mach Punch

This bloke rules. He trashed Roxanne and he kicked Brawly's ass. One punch and you're paralyzed! He's awesome, what more can I say?

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2016
    Hoenn update:

Okay, so I've progressed a lot through the game, until the part where you are finally free to Surf east of Lilycove.

Mono-Bug has been not as fun in this gen, I guess that due to little variety. Also, Shuriken has been making everything too easy. The hardest battles were the Elec and the Flying Gym. The Elec Gym turned incredibly easy though, as soon as Shuriken went from level 24 to 25 and got her a Swords Dance. The Flying Gym was tough because Skarmory would only get 49% damage from a +6 Atk Slash from Shuriken. Oh well. Aside from that, it's going well. Here's my team so far.

emesprani267.gif

Rachel @ Miracle Seed, Level 40
    ~ Giga Drain
    ~ Aerial Ace
    ~ Silver Wind
    ~ Stun Spore

Rachel has become a lot stronger, partly due to the new moves. Aerial Ace replaced Gust, which had been very useful. Silver Wind is incredibly handy to have, specially against the oh-so-common dark types. Oh, and it gets STAB + Swarm boost. Too bad a Bug/Flying typing makes her so vulnerable to Rock, but oh well...

emesprani269.gif

BioHazard @ Quick Claw, Level 40
    ~ Psybeam
    ~ Shadow Ball
    ~ Silver Wind
    ~ Toxic

I can't wait to get Psychic on this thing. Shadow Ball works WONDERFUL in it, since its Attack is higher than Sp. Attack. Silver Wind is also there, just because it's so useful that it supasses redundancy. I was planning originally to make it a Toxic/Staller, but I dunno now. I'm kinda digging some of its offensive abilities.

emesprani291.gif

Shuriken @ Silk Scarf, Level 39
    ~ Slash
    ~ Fury Cutter
    ~ Swords Dance
    ~ Double Team

This thing is a beast. Swords Dance together with Speed Boost make it a natural killer. And Fury Cutter works VERY well with it. I've certainly lost count to the number of trainers I've swept with this babe. Now I can't wait to get it to a level where it learns Baton Pass...

emesprani348.gif

Blade, Level 42
    ~ Hyper Beam
    ~ Rock Tomb
    ~ Ancient Power
    ~ Metal Claw

Yeah, sucky moveset. Gave it Hyper Beam cause it was better than what it had before: Scratch. I'm planning on replacing it by Return though. I'm also intending to give it EQ. Regarding Rock Tomb and Ancient Power, I dunno if I should keep both or just one of them. I do need the PP, but I also need some strenght. And yes, breeding Rock Slide is out of the question. It'd take ages to get all the pokes needed, level, and then level Blade all over again from level 5 to pre-E4 (yes, cause one of the pokes needed is only available pre-E4). If I don't keep 2 rock moves, I honestly don't know what to use for the 4th slot. He's going to be the receiver of +6Atk +3Speed Baton Passes. Any ideas?

Years
  • Earthquake is always a nice thing to have... Brick Break would be another option...

I'd say give it the Rock move you prefer, EQ, BB and Return. Iron Tail wouln't really help imo, it's damn inaccurate...

Roy G. Biv

KHAAAAAN!
    Years
  • I'll start with Ground type on my Yellow version. Sounds pretty epic to me ^0^

Will updateth soon, though :D

Pekin

Wigglytuff is and has always been on acid.
    Years
  • 3rd Hoenn entry
    Version: Emerald
    Type: Grass

I just figured I'd do a short update, before I go to bed, cos' I think I'm pretty much done for today. I owned Wattson, then I made it to Fallarbor, where I think I'm gonna stay and grind for a while. On the way to Mauville, I caught an Oddish, then realized that I would hate to have that damn thing on my team AGAIN, so I threw it off the team again. As soon as I catch a Tropius, my team will be complete. Then I just need to get evolution stones for Nuzleaf and Lombre. Anyway, this is my following team:

emesprani254.gif
    Sceptile, lv. 36
    Bold Nature // Overgrow
    - Leaf Blade
    - Pursuit
    - Absorb
    - Cut

I can't wait 'till I complete his moveset, because this moveset isn't worth much. Nevertheless, he's obviously the strongest member of my team.

emesprani286.gif
    Breloom, lv. 34
    Relaxed Nature // Effect Spore
    - Mega Drain
    - Headbutt
    - Rock Smash
    - Mach Punch

This guy just keeps proving himself to be an amazing fighter. Most of his punches leave the foe paralyzed, asleep or poisoned if not fainted - It's brilliant!

emesprani271.gif
    Lombre, lv. 32
    Serious Nature // Swift Swim // Pecha Berry
    - Absorb
    - Fake Out
    - Fury Swipes
    - Nature Power

This guy is still merely somewhat decent. But as soon as I make him evolve and get to complete his moveset, he wil be magnificent. I'm positive!

emesprani274.gif
    Nuzleaf, lv. 32
    Relaxed Nature // Early Bird // Chesto Berry
    - Rock Tomb
    - Fake Out
    - Faint Attack
    - Nature Power

He was great, right until I got him leveled up to level 31, then he started ignoring orders again - That's what you get for doing in-game trades, I guess. Anyway, he's a solid fighter, but he doesn't always obey, although he is improving.

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2016
    I beat Candice's gym easily enough, but I forget exactly what happened. I'm just about to reach Spear Pillar, but I'm annoyed that I forgot to stock up on Repels, Mt Coronet is full of annoying Pokemon that appear on every damn square....

I'm gonna let you guys decide since I can't. Here's the moveset I'm planning for my Octillery (who by the way, is an absolute beast, seriously underrated as a Pokemon).

- Ice Beam
    - Flamethrower/Fire Blast
    - Psychic
    - Charge Beam/Octazooka

I'm not sure about that last slot. Charge Beam offers more coverage and gets that nice Spcl Atk boost, but Octazooka has a higher base power and is my only STAB move. Also, I'm leaning towards Flamethrower for the fire-type move because of its accuracy, but without STAB I may need Fire Blast. At 85% the accuracy isn't bad. But then there's the PP…

Fire Blast or Flamethrower?
    Octazooka or Charge Beam?

Years
  • I beat the Elite 4 now.
    I always led with Butterfree, put stuff to sleep, switched to Scizor, boosted, passed to Ariados, swept.
    Only against Will i passed to Forretress, just to try out how that might work, but it horribly failed. Ledian beat most of her team then, with that enorme Special Defense it walled them =D
    Koga: easy. Here i passed to Ariados and it worked
    Bruno: The Hitmontop has Dig, which made it annoying, but Ariados survived it.
    Karen: First attempt: Began as usual, but Umbreon managed to Confuse me. Against Houndoom, Ariados hit itself and Houndoom swept me. But i had saved before the battle, so i did it again and this time i didn't get confused so it was easy.
    Lance: Gyarados woke up early and got a crit Surf in the rain, even from Gyara's pathetic Sp.A, that hurt. So with only +2 Attack and +2 Speed, Ariados failed to KO Aerodactyl, but Forretress exploded on it, Butterfree put the Dragonite that came next (don't ask me which one it was), i healed Scizor, revived Ariados, waited for Dragonite to wake up (it had already slept some turns, so i knew it was going to wake up soon), and put it to Sleep again, set up on it with Scizor, passed, swept the rest of his team.

Hall of Fame team is the same like in the last post, with the following minor changes (they aren't worth posting the whole team)
    Cool Eyes/Butterfree: lv.42->lv.45
    Eeek! / Ariados: lv.42->lv.50
    iWin / Ledian: lv.42->lv.45, no item->Nevermeltice
    Forry / Forretress: lv.42->Lv.45
    BulletPwnc / Scizor: lv.42->lv.44

Scizor might be underleveled, but actually it's the heart of my team...

I beat Candice's gym easily enough, but I forget exactly what happened. I'm just about to reach Spear Pillar, but I'm annoyed that I forgot to stock up on Repels, Mt Coronet is full of annoying Pokemon that appear on every damn square....

I'm gonna let you guys decide since I can't. Here's the moveset I'm planning for my Octillery (who by the way, is an absolute beast, seriously underrated as a Pokemon).

- Ice Beam
    - Flamethrower/Fire Blast
    - Psychic
    - Charge Beam/Octazooka

I'm not sure about that last slot. Charge Beam offers more coverage and gets that nice Spcl Atk boost, but Octazooka has a higher base power and is my only STAB move. Also, I'm leaning towards Flamethrower for the fire-type move because of its accuracy, but without STAB I may need Fire Blast. At 85% the accuracy isn't bad. But then there's the PP…

Fire Blast or Flamethrower?
    Octazooka or Charge Beam?

Why not replacing Psychic, it doesn't cover that much, only Fighting and Poison, and most Poisons have a double type that's weak to another of your moves...
    For example, in the Elite 4, Flamethrower (which i'd recommend, it's just more reliable) covers Aaron's Bugs and Cynthia's Roserade, while Octazooka covers Flint's Ape.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2013
    Only against Will i passed to Forretress, just to try out how that might work, but it horribly failed. Ledian beat most of her team then, with that enorme Special Defense it walled them =D

Congratulations... but Will is a man. xp

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2017
    I think I'll do a run through them with the Water type and I think I'll use FireRed. Can we use the Japanese HeartGold/SoulSilver?

Update:
    Got Squirtle from Oak
    Trained some in Viridian Forest
    Ran back to town to heal
    Battling Rival now with a Lv10 Squirtle.

Another Update:
    Beat Gary on Route 22 (I need to use Potions more sparingly until I get enough money for more)
    Squirtle levelled up at the end of the Rival battle
    Healed at Pokemon Center
    Returned to Viridian Forest
    Defeated all trainers, collected all the visible items
    Left the Forest

Sheller/Squirtle
    Lv14
    Tackle
    Tail Whip
    Water Gun
    Withdraw

Yet another update:
    Entered Pewter City
    Healed at Pokemon Center
    Went straight to the Gym
    Beat Brock
    Restocked on First Aid items at the local Mart and healed at PC
    Left Pewter, heading to Mount Moon
    Bought Magikarp at the PC next to Mount Moon
    went back to train Magikarp using the trainers I saved for training it.
    Healed at the Route 4 PC and entered Mount Moon
    Did everything there is to do and left
    Entered Cerulean
    Healed at PC and restocked at Mart
    Trained up Karpy one more level to get Tackle
    Rival Battle near Trainer Bridge
    Defeated Rival
    Defeated Bridge
    Arrived at Bill's House and got the ticket
    Went back to Cerulean
    Healed up and restocked.
    Defeated Misty

Karpy/Gyarados
    Lv20
    Splash
    Tackle
    Bite

Sheller/Wortortle
    Lv25
    Mega Punch
    Bite
    Water Gun
    Rapid Spin

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2016
    Congrats Monday Sucks!

I couldn't (and can't) play today cause tomorrow I'll be having an exam at my faculty. Freaking epidemeology class. >_>' In any case, I might post news tomorrow.

Regarding that Octillery:

IMO, your Octazooka should have: Ice Beam, Octazooka, Psychic, and Signal Beam. Yes, no flamethrower. You see, the ONLY type that Flamethrower actually helps you against is steel. Grass types are already dealt with by Ice Beam, and on a lot of the times, by Psychic as well (since vast numbers of grass types are part poison too). I'm actually more concerned that you have NO means to attack Electric types with SE damage. Psychic isn't that bad, but would be better used on a Starmie/Slowbro/Slowking who can get STAB.

Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2010
    Okay, time for another update. Well, Update #2... I've been busy with school and somehow found time to continue on Yellow. So here it went;

• Caught Caterpie Lv. 5 and named it BUTTERS
    • Trained Caterpie to Lv. 7 and it evolved into Metapod
    • Trained Caterpie to Lv. 10 and it evolved into Butterfree
    It was somewhat time consuming but it will be worth it in the long run I suppose...and my current team;

Party Pokemon:
    BUTTERS the Butterfree
    Lv. 10
    Tackle
    String Shot
    Harden
    Confusion

HM Slave(s):
    FLASH : ) the Pikachu
    (Still needs to learn Flash but will be kept in the PC until then...)
    Lv. 8
    Thundershock
    Growl
    Tail Whip
    Thunder Wave

Charmageddon

Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2016
    @ Whoever asked - yes, you can use HG/SS. But beware of it crashing.

Why not replacing Psychic, it doesn't cover that much, only Fighting and Poison, and most Poisons have a double type that's weak to another of your moves...

Hmm, interesting... although I like Psychic for the high base power and the fact that it can lower Special Defense.

IMO, your Octazooka should have: Ice Beam, Octazooka, Psychic, and Signal Beam. Yes, no flamethrower. You see, the ONLY type that Flamethrower actually helps you against is steel. Grass types are already dealt with by Ice Beam, and on a lot of the times, by Psychic as well (since vast numbers of grass types are part poison too).

I'm keeping a fire move for that a-hole Bronzong of Lucian's. And I can't get Signal Beam before the E4 anyway.

I'm actually more concerned that you have NO means to attack Electric types with SE damage.

I've got Gastrodon. :D

Psychic isn't that bad, but would be better used on a Starmie/Slowbro/Slowking who can get STAB.

There aren't any Water/Psychic types available in Sinnoh.

Benzee

I got your number, on the wall
    Years
  • This sounds really interesting. I've done something similar to this, except it was pretty much clearing (well nearly clearing) Saph with a Mudkip. Damn Steven and his Metagross and Cradily.

I think I'm going to try this with FIRE type. I'll be sure to update regularly. Good luck to everyone.

We're allowed to use ROMs right? I really don't want to start a new game on my Red version.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2010
    Okay, time for an update on my monotype bug journey in yellow...so now this is what I've done recently;

• Made it through Viridian Forest with Butters.
    • Challenged Brock
    • Butters learned Poison Powder (After Beating Geodude).
    • Beat Brock
    • Received the TM for Bide&The Boulder Badge
    My team is like the same with the exception of Butters being level 13 now, and knowing Poison Powder.

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2016
    Update on Monotype Emerald Bug:

I finally got to the E4. Juan was a piece of cake (I just baton passed +6 Attack +3 Speed to Armaldo from my Ninjask, who finally got to level 45 and learned BP), and then swept. I also have gone through the Victory Road.

Here's my team:

emesprani269.gif

BioHazard, Level 44 @ Quick Claw
    ~ Psychic
    ~ Shadow Ball
    ~ Toxic
    ~ Silver Wind

The weakest link of my team. Though BioHazard has some nice toys to play with, she just isn't durable enough to fight stuff after stuff. That ended up in her being some levels behind. I won't bother getting her back up, simply because I think the level she's at is just fine for what she's supposed to do. She does have some nice coverage though.

emesprani267.gif

Rachel, Level 47 @ Miracle Seed
    ~ Giga Drain
    ~ Silver Wind
    ~ Stun Spore
    ~ Aerial Ace

Rachel is moderately good. She doesn't do too much though. Mostly paralise, if Shuriken isn't alive and I need Blade to kill without getting hit first. Aside from that, it's mostly moves for general coverage. Oh, and Silver Wind + Swarm + STAB + Stat Raise = <3

emesprani291.gif

Shuriken, Level 48 @ Silk Scarf
    ~ Baton Pass
    ~ Swords Dance
    ~ Slash
    ~ Fury Cutter

The heart and soul of my team. She can Baton Pass to ANYONE (mostly to BLade though), giving my other team members valuable Speed and Attack boosts. Slash is its main means of attacking, though if everyone else has fainted, a Fury Cutter rampage will do gazzillions of damage as well.

emesprani348.gif

Blade, Level 51 @ Lax Icense
    ~ Return
    ~ Earthquake
    ~ Rock Tomb
    ~ Ancientpower

Thank god they made Armaldo a bug-type. This thing is a God. Seriously. With Speed and Attack bonuses, it walks through opponents as if nothing happened. Gotta love it.

EDIT:

The E4, Champion, and Steven have been beaten.

The E4 battles weren't anything special. It always went in a logic of Shuriken -> Swords Dancing -> Baton Pass to Blade -> Sweep. There were very few situations where this didn't apply, and in those, I Toxic-stalled the hell out of them.

The Champion, however, was tougher. His god damn Wailord could OHKO me with both Water Spout and Blizzard. I had to try several times until he missed 3 Blizzards in a row (I really didn't feel like exploring Milotic to set up and weep). After that, it was a done deal.

Steven's battle, however, was interesting. Well, not really. As soon as I saw that Skarmony, I was like WTF, LEVEL 77? I looked at my level 47 BioHazard and was like 'Wow. Poor dude.' Anyways, I managed to beat Skarmony with some Ancient Powers, even without attack boosting. After that, I switched and revived between Rachel and Shuriken, so that his other pokemon (I think it's called Lileep, it's the grass one) would lose all Ancient Power PP. Then healed Blade multiple times until Lileep was out of Giga Drains. Now all that remained was Confuse Ray and Ingrain. I switched to Shuriken, Swords Dance'D 3 times, Baton passed to Blade, and from there, proceeded to show to Steven why pokes 30 levels higher like his Metagross were still mere flies for my Blade to Crush! \o

That being said, Emerald Mono Bug is done. Only one generation remains! :D

Last edited:

Charmageddon

Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2016
    Congratulations! (And the Grass-type is Cradily, Lileep is its prevolution).

Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2013
    Well, I decided to do this once again. This time I take Ground.

"Secrets of the land"

Preview:
    - All Pokemon in my team will share a Water- and an Ice-weakness (two of them 4x both)
    - Two will share a Psychic-weakness (although all of them have a bad Spec-stat, none of them likes a hit from a STAB-Psychic attack...)
    - 4 Pokemon will be weak to Grass attacks (two of them 4x, again), and to Ground, too (ridiculous)
    - 2 Pokemon will be weak to fighting

+ My whole team is immune to Electric
    + My whole team resists Fire, Rock and Poison
    + 2 Pokemon will resist Bug, Normal and Fly
    + 2 Pokemon share a resistance to Grass
    + 2 Pokemon will resist Ground
    + No need to worry about Dragon attacks
    Maybe I forgot something, but this are the most important points. Obviously the negative facts outbalance the positive ones, but the AI is a pretty pathetic fighter and the enemies movesets are crappy most of the time.

Oh, and I'll start on Yellow, First Update will follow soon.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back