• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Fairies

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    A week after X and Y were initially announced, a new type was rumored to debut. After some speculation, a lot of us have agreed on it being something along the lines of "fairy," and we were right!

What are our thoughts on fairy-type? Are we fond of how it was put into the type chart? If we were to make any changes to this particular typing (such as adding or remove a weakness, for example), what would we find ourselves doing? Also, from all fairy-type Pokémon we have had in X and Y, which would we call our favorite?

For me, personally, one of them is Togekiss. In previous generations, it was a pretty viable Pokémon on its own; thanks to its ability, it was able to take some decent advantage of certain moves it had access to, such as Air Slash, and this was one of the things that had made it so useful. Now that it's fairy and has a few fairy-type attacks in its arsenal, I feel it had become even more so as it could now take down dragon-types more easily.

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    I was skeptical at first, but now I believe the Fairy type is a great addition. Dark and Dragon had too few weaknesses, so I think Fairy helps to mostly balance out the whole type chart.

My favourite is Sylveon, its design is really nice and Pixilated Hyper Voices are incredibly powerful, dealing lots of damage to anything that doesn't resist them.

Years
  • The fairy-type has a lot of adorable Pokemon save for a few. I believe it was the type that changed the type chart, and the one that influenced the dark and steel-type. Sylveon is my favorite, and I don't feel like typing the reasons since they're a lot.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • It has balanced out the typing system more evenly which is a fair point, but I'm still not 100% on board with the whole "Fairy" concept. Although I do like how previous Pokemon such as Gardevoir and Mawile gained a new type.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    From a purely gameplay perspective, the Fairy-type was a good addition. It did help with balance, although I personally think that instead of adding a new type, they should've tweaked the ones they already had more extensively. They already did a bit of tweaking with its introduction, and that's pretty nice. Seeing Dragon-type knocked down a peg with Poison and Steel buffed as attacking types was nice.

But honestly, I think there are more than enough types (particularly ones that are redundant), and that the Fairy-type is too vaguely defined from a lore standpoint. It fits in with the species of Pokemon that exist, and makes for a good one to shove cute ones, but its theme isn't really all that cohesive. The moon and cuteness. Are those the only standards for a Fairy? Perhaps a bit of mysticalism as well, but I think that the Psychic-type covers that role better.

I would prefer if they just combined the Fairy and Psychic types, and called it an Astral-type. These concepts would fit well together, because the two types kind of seem similar to me, particularly with the Fairy-type being so ill-defined in what it encompasses.

Also, I'm not fond of elements that are based on actual creatures. Fairy and Dragon-type? That doesn't really make sense to me. What about a Mammal-type? I know there was a glitch Bird-type. They should really leave such definitions to the egg groups, not as elements.

In spite of all these questions of logic, I still like the type. It fits me pretty well and has a good chunk of awesome Pokemon. (Also, I like the move Dazzling Gleam. Useful in double battles and an attack about light!) I'd have to say my favorite Fairy-type is Gardevoir, because of how graceful and humanoid it is. Even before it was a Fairy, it was still one of my favorites.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I love fairy types. A lot of the older Pokemon that were added into the type or retyped were already some of my favorites. Then on top of that I enjoyed a lot of the new fairy type Pokemon that debuted in X/Y.

They've become useful to me as they're powerful against types I tend to encounter a lot (dark, fighting) and on top of that they've finally given me a better choice to counter dragon types with. Ice types always tend to appear late in the game and can be very fragile. So far I enjoy the fairy type moves though I think the physical aspect of the moves needs some additions as one isn't enough. I want to also add that I think it was a great idea for fairy types to be weak to poison types. I've always liked the Pokemon within the Poison type, but I would overlook them because they weren't overly useful when compared to other types. Now that they have an extra type that they're strong against and a good type at that they're a lot more usable for everyone.

As for my favorites in the type I would have to say Clefable, Gardevoir, Mawile, and Florges.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Yay! Fairy-types! Anyway, this was a good addition to the playing field, as it was time for a new type after over a decade since GSC, and the Fairy-type Pokémon we have are mostly really fun to use. They gave us what we needed to deal with the stupid strong Dragon-type that dominated the DS era, and two other types that are strong on the attacking side.

But my personal favorite is probably Azumarill, as i've mentioned several times about how it started from the bottom, now it's here. (lol Drake references) I do also like Gardevoir though, and Aromatisse is one that grew on me when I saw its Hidden Ability which prevents Taunt and Encore.

Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2015
    Anything that gets me more Eeveelutions is a hit in my book lol ...but in all seriousness, I love that the Fairy type is so great against Dragon types...hopefully we will see more in the future

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • I was all for a new type that could somehow either nerf Dragon types or buff Poison types, and I was glad that we've got a type to serves both roles, until I saw the current tier list (not counting Mega's, there's 7 Dragons in OU out of 4). I've gotten a few arguments back in early 2013 with a few PC members regarding the new type prior to its confirmation at E3, and I wonder how they're doing now after I "technically" won the argument since then.

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2015
    Dragons needed countering. I say that as someone who mostly uses dragons D:

Dragons have always had a weakness to ice, but ice-type Pokemon are (in general) very fragile. Numerous 3rd evolution dragons have massive stats that can usually allow them to OHKO fragile ice types with a non-STAB, super-effective move.

Fairies have done more to counter dragon types. It's a good thing!

Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2016
    To this very day I still hate fairy types tohanks to fairies my favorite type has another weaknest an fighting types are my favorite types the only fairy type I trulely like is xerneas

Years
  • Fairy-types are so amazing. They not only allowed for new design concepts to be used but it also helped boost several older generation Pokemon, like Gardevoir and Azumarill. But there's also some modern Fairy-types that also have their niches, like Sylveon. Not to mention they are extremely majestic and adorable!

Dragon-types really needed nerfing given how rampant they were in competitive play with their superior stats and minimal weaknesses so giving them another, hard-to-handle weakness along with buffing the underused Poison-type by giving them a new type with an advantage against. It pretty much was the perfect solution to balance the metagame.

Some of my faves include Sylveon, Klefki, Gardevoir, Azumarill, Xerneas and Florges, but in the end I actually love them all.

Return

You can make to the sunrise....
    Years
  • Before when fairy type are not introduced dragon type are rampaging and that become too difficult to defeat dragon type.
    Fairy-type are best addition as fairy type gives us immunity to dragon and have best defense and powerful attacks moves.
    Poison type also get boost as being super effective against Fairy (the other being Steel), giving it an importance in the game.
    My Favourite Fairy type pokemon is Sylveon :)

Back