• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Showcase] anna makes things

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
  • hi I'm Anna I do graphic manipulation sometimes and photography and other things? i most likely wont post a ton until i really get in the mood to play with things. i will make this good later probably

GRAPHICS NONSENSE // 2015
    Spoiler:

IPHONE PHOTOGRAPHY // FEB - JUNE 2015
    Spoiler:

IPHONE PHOTOGRAPHY // JULY ONWARD 2015
    Spoiler:

TRADITIONAL ICONS // 2011 - 2014

130x130 & UP // 2014

TAGS & THINGS // 2010 - 2014

thanks for lookin :D

xFataLx

Dreaming oV a Dead Sun
    Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2018
    I'm liking the 130 X 130s. Especially the bnw sableye and the Seviper but they all look pretty clean. You should work on depth and focal points in your tags though. I don't know much on photography so can't give much criticism on the photos but they look pretty good especially taken from a phone. If you ever want some help with photo shop work just let me know. I'll be glad to help

Last edited:

myystogan

[cimg=width:30px;"]https://i.imgur.com/gbudGz1.png
    Years
  • Hey Anna, you've got a bunch of cool stuff here :-]

The latest photographs you've posted (the ones from July and onwards) are pleasing to the eye, and your cat pictures in particular are very nice! As for your icons, I like the fact that there's variety in your cropping. Placement is very important and you definitely understand that. Because your positioning was varied, the icon collection as a whole left an impact. Image variety also helped as well; it shows that you're flexible in that department ;-]
    (Kudos to you for linking sources, by the way. )
    And before I forget, I've got to mention this icon:
    icontest-vintage1_zpsfb4c8da5.png

Sometimes I see that people are reluctant to make daring crops like these, mainly because it's a pretty widespread myth that you need to fit the entire image/most of the image in an icon. This is ANCIENT and I have to roll my eyes every time this is insisted on. Cutting off a seemingly crucial feature of the subject, such as the eyes, isn't that big of a deal. There isn't a certain "set of details" that should be included in each icon/crop; that is deemed by the editor, and ultimately they get to decide what is "important" and should be kept.

Hmm, looks like I went on a bit of a rant there. But yeah, congratulations for seeing through that, lmao. The icon is gorgeous, and it's undoubtedly my favorite of the bunch.

Not going to say much about signatures/tags because Fatal covered it, really, but you match backgrounds with images well, and that's always a good thing.
    Can't wait for when you "make this good" later on, but I think better wording would be "make this better", because it already is good ;-]

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
    Years
  • THIS photo is amazing. Mainly because I love cats, but yeah. No that's not the only reason, I do love the way the focus is captured. But I think an issue with this photo too is the slight loss of focus on the focal. I like the displacement of the focal too, so that it's not in the center, but I think it would look a little better pushed a little further to the left, obeying the rule of thirds more closely. This photo does that better. But I enjoyed looking at them, and you have some insanely photogenic friends (and cats) *o*

Your icons and tags are lovely, but some are really quite plain, and could do with a little better utilisation of the empty space, and others lack depth and/or focus.
    Starting with this one, I do think that the depth here is subtle yet capturing, and I consider this your strongest piece. Yet there are improvements to be had. For a start the focus could be stronger, with a little more lighting adjustment you could really hammer home the focus, and the flow could be better, but it is there. I also think that the text in this case doesn't really add to the piece but takes away from it. The font too is a little unreadable and as such I think the piece would look better without it.

This piece is a bit plain and lacks depth and flow, but I do like the way the focus being darker draws your attention. The background being white-washed as such works out to draw your attention to the darker focus, so good job there, that's a really nice effect.

This is a really nice image, but as a tag it's a bit chaotic. There's so much brightness and so many focals I don't know what to focus on, and the effects in the image are unfortunately lost. There is also a lack of depth rendering the image quite flat. For a picture with such a dramatic change in distance between foreground, focus and background a lot of blurring could be used to really draw out that distance. What really flattens the image for me is the effect in the bottom right-hand corner.

Empty space. Whilst there are pieces that work like this, this isn't one of them. Right now it looks half finished, which is a shame because your lighting and blurring have made quite a good bit of depth here. I would suggest to you to go back and add to this piece if you have time at some point, I'd like to see it built upon.

Lastly this piece I just want to say is an example of text really obscuring the piece overall.

Text is extremely difficult, and I've learnt that too over the years, and often I spend a while trying to fit text onto my pieces, before actually giving up and leaving it without. But I would definitely suggest choosing more subtle fonts with less flair to them, because those are much harder to work with. I love your icons, you've certainly got those down to a 'T' and your photography is well on its way to looking amazing. It already looks great (with the help of many a photogenic person or animal). Loving the gallery, it's about time you starting another one here Anna!

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • about tags - most tags i've made are with the intend to add css and text, actually! so the reason for leaving all the space is for like, an semi-translucent overlay and a bunch of standard signature info. :) i mean, i could probably do more with them? and maybe add the css back in someday in here haha but it all broke when PC devs changed how our css works here :P

icons i'm always a little worried that i don't actually have a style? like, i used to be able to tell who made what just by the style of icon around here a few years ago. i mean, using such a huge variety of source images does nothing for having a standard style either. i just kind of run with what i wanna do at the moment? but i'm happy that variety is something y'all like.

as for cropping, i like... know the general artistic rules and such and the fact that interesting cropping makes a piece a lot of the time, but i still have a hard time ignoring the big picture. that's an issue just in my life in general ahaha i can't seem to pinpoint what's important all the time. so i'm glad you like what i do :D

photography is really my newest thingy thing. i've never really had anything to take decent photos with on a whim, but the iphone 6 camera is pretty good for what it is. the ones with filters and like, actual editing have gone through instagram at some point or another and i'm sure i was a bit overzealous as well as it not the best control method for editing ahaha. i downloaded fotor the other day- all i've done with it so far is collages but i'm excited to play with that as well. now that i have like, a point to photo editing i'm definitely going to do more of it and work on that medium~

thank you guys <3

myystogan

[cimg=width:30px;"]https://i.imgur.com/gbudGz1.png
    Years
  • icons i'm always a little worried that i don't actually have a style? like, i used to be able to tell who made what just by the style of icon around here a few years ago. i mean, using such a huge variety of source images does nothing for having a standard style either. i just kind of run with what i wanna do at the moment? but i'm happy that variety is something y'all like.

Ah yeah I get what you mean, icon style can be hard to pinpoint and develop. I feel like that's mainly because the canvas size is smaller, which means there are going to be certain things everyone does (i.e. a focus on coloring and cropping). So for any icon maker to establish a style, they'd have to mess around with new techniques and make their avatars "more unique" first, by going outside the norm. For example, here's a list of icon features that I don't see around too often:
    - Text
    - Texture Usage
    - Lighting
    - Special coloring styles (monocolor, vintage, saturated, pastel, low contrast, high contrast, etc)
    - Frames (AND I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT BORDERS, CREATIVE FRAMES > BORDERS)
    - Complex Composition (i.e. using multiple images, duplicating)

Right now, I have to agree that you've got the usual icon-making style going on (y'know, the one with an emphasis on cropping and coloring), but that's not a bad thing at all! I wouldn't tell anyone to change this or do things differently unless they wanted to. But since you ARE looking to do that, maybe try out some of the stuff I mentioned above and see where that gets you in terms of creating your own style :-]

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • so, fotor, right- my preferred aspect ratio has always been 1:1 so there are these. full size @link

Spoiler:

and then i made icons? well, played with cropping is what i did lol i think the last one is the best?

lia3_zps6aysrsvq.png
    lia2_zpsppqcwe3j.png
    lia4_zps1lvjpk5n.png

also i drew a thing again! for wopc. done in sketchbook in pencil and threw some filters on it to clean it up which seemed to work alright

tumblr_nx3xlx1YZo1us4052o1_250.jpg

AND THEN did a lot more digital stuff with it than usual like? actual coloring and editing and going over lines and that is not a thing to do with a trackpad o lord i need to go find my tablet next time lmao and maybe i'll actually figure out how to do things properly

tumblr_nx45acVsSF1us4052o1_500.png

so that was my week i guess

Back