• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Did you get all the starters in Yellow?

How many starters did you get?!

• Total voters
Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    i got all of them, but its really easy to do....i dont see how anyone could miss one.

Years
  • It's not if anyone missed one, some people may not like the starters and decide to get say, Gyarados instead of Blastoise.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • You can get the starter Pokemon in yellow? O_o

I got Pikachu and Eevee in my yellow playthrough, but I never (or at least, don't remember) getting a Bulbasaur or anything. xD

Years
  • I got them all. 8D Would've used them but having so many starters on my team felt boring, or using just one made me feel like something was missing. So I put them all in the box and tried using other things.

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    It's not if anyone missed one, some people may not like the starters and decide to get say, Gyarados instead of Blastoise.
    I'm not understanding why anyone would actively avoid getting the starters though

the vast majority of playing the game is to get the all the pokemon (at least that was the slogan of gen 1 and 2). Getting the starters is easy, and quick to do. Even when you got a full party, it goes straight to the box.

Years
  • Well the last time I played Yellow, which was in 2009, I had all three starters on my team fully evolved. I was able to get Bulbasaur early on since Pikachu was the only thing I had used for a while. It was a playthrough where I couldn't use Poké Balls whatsoever, so there.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I agree that it seems unlikely that people would potentially avoid picking up the starters because they didn't want to use them on a team. I think the more likely scenario is that a player would pick up an unwanted starter and dump it in the PC. That said, if you dumped Pikachu early on, it would be hard to get Bulbasaur, so I could see how people could miss out on one of the starters in that case. Also, I guess if someone routinely avoids talking to NPCs, he might miss some of the starters.

Like most people here, though, I got all of the starters. I also used all of them on my team. Having access to all of the starters was a big selling point of Yellow for me, and as the starters were some of my favorite gen I Pokemon, I never considered skipping them/avoiding them/dumping them in my PC immediately.

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2023
    I was much more of a battler than a completionist, skipped all of the starters because I preferred other Pokemon. Especially Clefable, Nidoking and Lapras. Loved them.

Sirfetch’d

I got them all but was much too lazy to train them up since that takes forever in those games. I believe I did use the Bulbasaur once though because I wanted a cool grass type!

Years
  • I have played this game for a million times, ever since I was a kid, and I always go get them, then I think I'll put them on PC because I want a change in my team, but then I find I migh as well go along with them because.... why not? And this gets repeated every time .__.

Seth Pegasus

Creator of Pokemon: The Conspiracy.
    Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2021
    I didn't get the starters because I didn't know they were there in the first place. I did have all 3 games so I traded with myself to get them XD.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    I got them all, but I have to be honest it's difficult to train them specially when using all three.

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
  • I got them all but avoided using Bulbasaur. It's very rarely I ever carry a Grass type Pokemon in my teams, I just don't like it as a type.

Psychic

Really and truly
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2018
    I didn't get Bulbasaur on my first Yellow playthrough - I guess my Pikachu didn't like me enough. I got Bulbasaur after beating the E4, and I didn't really find it useful anyway.

~Psychic

Years
  • I got all 3 every time. Why not get them? I like having them because as a 8, 9, 10 year old, you really want to get those that you just can't have without trading in Red and Blue. Would work really hard with Pikachu, and Pidgey/Pidgeotto. Get both to 20ish and then get Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle. Hit up the SS Anne and have 3 level 20 starters ready to go up against Surge... Man those were the days. lol

Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2017
    Not matter what I always using these guys and along with Pikachu, Nidoking and Kadabra they formed my favorite team I have ever had in a Pokemon Game but then Gen III went and ruined everything but let's not talk about that.

Back