• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vociferocity

[ bad girls do it well ]
Years
  • You're saying after you selected a Pokemon using pbChoosePokemon?
    In that case the Pokemon's ID is stored in variable 1 so use pbGet(1) in the $Trainer.party[] array. I'm assuming you're using the script part of a conditional branch so try this:

$Trainer.party[pbGet(1)]==PBSpecies::BULBASAUR

And change BULBASAUR to whatever you're checking for.\

so I tried that, and it didn't work. and then I tried my old code, and it worked that time. I must have had a typo or something before :\ thanks for helping, though :)

Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2014
    Thanks!, but, don´t show the Reds Squares of Rattata, Pidgey and others in the Pokedex (Route 1)

Example: RATTATA's NEST AREA UNKNOWN... :/

What version of the Essential do you use?

My version of Essentials is a year old now. Maybe the functionality broke in more recent versions. I don't keep up to date with them, so I wouldn't really be able to help fix it.

Thank you very much ^_^
    I found one old version of Essential in my computer (Date in January 2009), and show the red squares. It seems that it is a bug of the new versions.

I'm having exactly the same problem.. but I don't have access to older versions. Is there anywhere I can obtain the older versions of the Pokédex script, or can anyone help here?

Much appreciated, thanks.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
  • Ihave a quick question - when it says BADGEFORDIVE can that be changed to BADGEFORDIG and have dig replace dive as an HM? It would take some scripting I'm sure so any help is appreciated.
    I imagine you can, but you'd have to be really careful you make all the right changes.

Also, following playing Pokemon ranger I have been throwing an idea around and I - being a noob scripter - was wondering if it was possible: Can it be made that HMs, rather than being a physical item, are rather an ability that is permanently unlocked by a person, allowed by a badge and usable by any Pokemon who could learn the move at any time?

i.e. I beat a gym that allows SURF. An aide tells me that the professor wants me, and that the easiest way to get back is by surfing across a river, so he teaches me how to surf. From now on, provided I have a Pokemon with me that previously would have been taught the SURF HM - say Blastoise - I can now surf whenever i like. However if I was to put Blastoise into the box and my party now consisted of Pidgey and Oddish I could no longer surf until I had a Pokemon who was able.

It would remove the need for HM slaves and also free up move slots for a team. The HMs themselves could be rendered as regular moves, and the new 'abilities' could be listed in a sub window of the trainer card or something.
    This is possible, yes. I've done it for Fly, but the concept can easily be expanded to the other HMs.

In PokemonHiddenMoves, you'd need to change each instance of the line "movefinder=Kernel.pbCheckMove(:STRENGTH)" (and similar) to a check for whether you're carrying any of the Pokémon in an array.

That takes care of how the moves actually work, but you'll also want the moves to appear in the party screen when you select a Pokémon. In PokemonScreen, find the part that adds the hidden moves to the list of options (around line 1208). Replace this with a much larger chunk of code that contains arrays for each hidden move (like you made before), and checks to see if the selected Pokémon is mentioned in any of those arrays. If it is, add the corresponding option to the list.

This is just a brief overview of what you should do. Actually doing what I described is a lot more involved, and requires a decent amount of knowledge of scripting. The point is that it is possible.

I'm having exactly the same problem.. but I don't have access to older versions. Is there anywhere I can obtain the older versions of the Pokédex script, or can anyone help here?

Pokémon Essentials, version 3rd February 2009. However, this may be a little too old for you, so it may not work either but in a different way.

Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2014
    However, this may be a little too old for you, so it may not work either but in a different way.

Either way, its worth a try. If it comes to it, I can chop and change between the new and older script.

Thank you very much, I appreciate the help.

Years
    • Seen Jun 19, 2010
    Hey, although I've gotten to grips with pretty much all of the features already within the kit, I find myself wondering - is it possible to include mid-battle dialogue (when sending out last Pokemon, when that Pokemon is on low health) like in Diamond & Pearl forwards? I'm making this game on behalf of some other people, so to speak, and they'd like to include such a thing, so would it be possible? If so, how?

Thanks for the amazing starterkit, and thanks in advance for any answers.

Does anyone have an answer to this? I'll be very grateful if anyone tells me of a way to do what I described in my post.

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2011
    Hi
    I got an issue with the starter kit.
    Sometimes, sound effects (ex : jingle at the pokecenter when I get healed) won't play.
    Do you know why / how to fix it?

Years
    • Seen Jul 6, 2022

Hi!
    I discovered that it is not necessary to have old versions

Open your Editor.exe , go to "Set Metadata", go to for example Route 1, then Position Map, and mark in the map where is Route 1. Save the changes.

If Pidgey it is in Route 1, in The Pokedex the square will appear in the same place that you marked.

Sorry for my english

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2010
    Hey Guys
    Anyone know how to animate sprites pokemon battles??
    I got Luka´s tutorial but it doesn´t work in my project
    please, can anyone help me??
    I have a lot of time trying :(
    Anyone can help me, I really need it for my project
    thanks in advance and sorry for my english

Colbex

Cobalt Black Creator
    Years
  • In regards to the red square not appearing for areas where PokéMon reside... there's no need whatsoever for copying any scripts or the like.
    In PokéMonArea, at around line 77 or 78 find:
    Code:
    def pbUpdate
     [COLOR=Red]@point.dispose[/COLOR]
     @numpoints.times {|i|
      @sprites["point#{i}"].opacity=[80,100,120,140,120,100][(Graphics.frame_count/3)%6]
     }
    end
    Remove the line in red. That should fix the problem.

thepsynergist

Vinemon: Sauce Edition Programmer and Composer
    Years
  • I have a question. Is there a way that I can make the credits scene in my game uncancellable, and make it so that it doesn't loop upon completion?

Years
    • Seen Jul 6, 2022
    Hi! I found a BUG in the new version of Pokemon Essential in the Debug Menu ---> Fill Boxes

h*ttp://img136.imageshack.us/i/dibujoyq.png/

Erase the *

thepsynergist

Years
  • Hi! I found a BUG in the new version of Pokemon Essential in the Debug Menu ---> Fill Boxes

h*ttp://img136.imageshack.us/i/dibujoyq.png/

Erase the *

You have too many Pokemon in your PC Box for the game to fill it with all of them. Just delete Pokemon til you have 493 available spaces then use the Fill Boxes command.

Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2016
    DOUBTS

hello

I have some doubts

1-As you fight the same character, such as a rival, and when you fight a second time, having the same name and different levels and pokemon

2-How I can create sprites walk Do any program?

3-English games that you recommend me.

4-For example, when you'll enter a cave, a man tells you that you need to enter XXX medals

5-From where I can get animations to create attacks and how to do

Vociferocity

[ bad girls do it well ]
    Years
  • 1-As you fight the same character, such as a rival, and when you fight a second time, having the same name and different levels and pokemon

4-For example, when you'll enter a cave, a man tells you that you need to enter XXX medals

..okay, since these are the only questions I actually understand, I'll throw you a bone.

For the first question - you can create trainers that have the same class and name. they'll have different Battle IDs, which is what you use to distinguish between them. so if you wanted to be able to battle a specific trainer three times, and you wanted them to have different pokemon at different levels, just create three trainers with their name and the different pokemon, and just specify which one you're battling against in the trainer battle event using the Battle ID. it sounds kinda complicated, but it's really not.

With the next question, do you mean you'd need X amount of medals before you can enter the cave? surely you'd be able to do that with variables. Just add 1 to the count each time you get a new medal, and then when it hits X, the man at the cave will let you in as opposed to saying "You'll need X medals to come in here", or whatever.

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    hello

I have some doubts

1-As you fight the same character, such as a rival, and when you fight a second time, having the same name and different levels and pokemon

2-How I can create sprites walk Do any program?

3-English games that you recommend me.

5-From where I can get animations to create attacks and how to do
    Vociferocity was right about 1 and 4. For 2, I'm guessing you're asking which programs you can use to make your own walking sprites. You can use Microsoft Paint, Paint.net, or RealWorld Paint.COM (my personal favorite). You're probably better off using an existing walking sprite and modifying it into whatever you want. For English games, the only complete one that I know of it Pokemon Raptor (but it's not the best quality). For attack animations, go the the Database, and then go to the Animations tab. Making the animations will require some effort, and you can use whatever graphics you want for animations (as long as they are in the animations folder of your project), but what you'll really need to know is how to make these animations work in battle. There are already some examples (like Tackle) in the starter kit. To make an animation for an attack, give it a name like Move:TACKLE, or Move:SCRATCH. For status animations, name them Common:Paralyzed, Common:Shiny, Common:StatUp, etc. The kit takes care of the rest (it looks for these animations when you use an attack, and if they exist it will use them).

@VEGET@: I'm not sure what's wrong, especially since the error even states that those are expected encounter types. Also, I found that while it didn't give me an error, there were no encounters. It probably has to do with defining the density, so I'll look into it later.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2016
    Sorry I'm Spanish and I express myself a bit wrong.

Will I be you can recommend some pokemon games for pc?

How do I do with the medals?

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
    Years
  • So I am trying to figure out how to get the message box to fit in to the little mini screen. But I am having trouble. I can't seem to find the right line of code to edit. Here is a screenshot to show what I am trying to do I guess.

*Not sure if this belonged in the Help and Requests or here...

FROM

2z7mtcp.jpg

TO

35ibouw.png

Still having issues with this :(. Anyone have any ideas on how to do this?

thepsynergist

Years
  • I'm still trying to figure out how to make it so that the Built-in credits scene in my game(using the credits script from Pokemon Essentials) cannot be canceled, and make it so that it doesn't loop infinitely. Anyone know?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back