• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[OU] Team Cynthetik - RoseMonkeyFish Unleashed

BlueLucario

Cool trainer.
Years
  • Team Cynthetik - RoseMonkeyFish Unleashed(Beautiful Rose, Kung-fu Monkey, and the Mudfish)

Hello, I've been lurking Smogon for a bit. And I felt that I need to emphasize pokemon synergy in OU. I've been setting up this team for my Soul Silver Version. I do Shoddy Battle for test runs after the team is made before I'm ready for Wi-fi battling. I'm just letting you know, I'm new to the OU metagame, so expect some amount of flaw on this team. My pokemon choices…well…I start out with my favorite pokemon or pokemon that I like, and fill the rest of the team up with roles that I need(such as physical sweepers, walls, clerics, etc.) Not only that, I choose the pokemon that possess the typing and movesets to be in synergy with the other members of my team, not caring what tier they are in, as long as they fufill their roles in the team.

My team in general is the basic, Grass/Water/Fire type core. Like all of my teams, I feel that there needs to be a water, grass, and fire type in the team for extra type coverage. I made this team with consideration, I've added pokemon that would be in perfect sync with their partners who have the ability to take out threats with ease.

Also keep in mind, any moveset that has a "/" on it means that on certain occasions I will switch in between those two attacks. This does not mean I havent decided between the two moves. It means I will use the second move in situations that might need it. But the move before the slash is the move I will primarily use.

I take even the harshest criticism with a grain of salt, so I would love to hear comments from the experts, on how I can improve this team.

Team Cynthetik – At a Glance

dpffa068.png
    392.png
    260.png
    407.png
    429.png
    468.png

IMG]http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/dpffa/dpffa068.png[/IMG]

Machamp @ Lum Berry
    No Guard
    Adamant Nature ( +Atk, -SpA)
    EVS: 240 HP / 248 Atk / 16 SpD / 4 Spe

~ DynamicPunch
    ~ Payback
    ~ Bullet Punch
    ~ Ice Punch

I wasn't really looking for a traditional entry hazard lead, but a lead that can stop the enemy from setting up. Lum Berry cures sleep status inflicted by Roserade and Smeargle Leads, so Machamp can wake up and fight back with a 1HKO with an Ice Punch and Dynamic Punch respectively, and end it with Bullet Punch if the opponent hung on with a focus sash. Machamp, assuming it will survive until end-game(I'm used to stealth rock suicide leads), it proves a good counter for Blissey. Aerodactyl won't have a chance of stealth rocking, due to Machamp's Bullet Punch. And Payback unboosted can 2HKO Azelf. Machamp also proves to be a partner for Mismagius, and Togekiss as he can switch in and take in Dark and Ice Type attacks.

[Potential Partners: Mismagius, Togekiss]

392.png

Infernape @ Life Orb
    Jolly Nature(+Speed, -SpA)
    EVS: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

~Swords Dance
    ~Close Combat/Stone Edge
    ~Fire Punch
    ~Mach Punch

Infernape here is my standard swords dance sweeper. And not only that, it's the fire type that meets the Grass/Water/Fire Type core, which is what my team is based on. Infernape's role/typing/ and movesets partner well with its Water and Grass partners. Infernape's role is to take care of the steels that ruin my Roserade's fun, especially the annoying SD Scizor, and puts Blissey to rest, allowing my special sweepers to wreak some havoc on the rest of the team. Swords Dance + Priority moves spell doom for any pokemon that can't resist the attacks. Fire Punch takes down Steels and Grass types that Roserade isn't strong enough to eliminate on her own. Close Combat 2HKOs Heatran, and OHKOs Blissey. Stone Edge takes care of Dragonite, and other Flying types that like to switch in to Infernape.

[Potential Partners: Roserade, Mismagius, Swampert]

260.png

Swampert @ Leftovers

Relaxed Nature(+Def, - Speed)
    EVS: 240 HP / 216 Def / 52 SpD

~ Stealth Rock
    ~ Earthquake
    ~ Ice Beam /Stone Edge
    ~ Surf

The water type pokemon in the Grass Water Fire Core. I felt that this team also needed a tank. I was looking for a water type that might partner well with my Grass and Fire Type in my team. I had a Pseudohazing Hippowdown, which partnered well with my Cacturne, which I EV trained. But I found a water type that was just as good as Hippowdon, and posseses similar defensive capabilities, but however. I hated using a pokemon with a 4x Weakness, or you would have seen me use a Gyrados, Scizor or a Heracross on my team. I made the exception with Swampert, because two of his Partners, Roserade and Infernape can take care of the grass type pokemon that switch in, while Swampert's Ice Beam takes care of the flying types in which my team's weak against, not to mention DDNite, Flygon, and DDmence. Swampert's Stealth rock makes the opponent think before he switches in his flyers. Surf as his primary STAB as he take care of Fire types that Roserade can't handle. Earthquake rapes Heatran.
    [Potential Partners: Togekiss, Roserade, Infernape]

407.png

Roserade @ Life Orb
    Natural Cure
    Timid Nature(+Speed, -Attack)
    EVS: 4 HP/252 SpA/252 Speed

~Energy Ball
    ~Sludge Bomb
    ~Hidden Power(Fire)
    ~Rest

The grass type in my Grass Water Fire Core. Although Roserade appears practically outclassed by Celebi and Shaymin, I chose Roserade because I love how you can take advantage of its flexibility and versatility. You can give this beautiful rose any role(except physical sweeping and walling) in the Metagame, and it will still do well there. Roserade is most commonly used as a lead in OU, but personally, I prefer a general special sweeper. She's partnered with Swampert because of her 4x resistance to grass and her base 105 SpD, not to mention her Sludge Bomb gives her the nickname, "Grass Killer". She doesn't mind switching in to Shaymin, and Celebi as her Timid Nature outspeeds their Modest Nature. Energy Ball takes care of Water Types that aren't Kingdra and Empoleon that Infernape and Mismagius can't take down. She greatly welcomes Scizor,( who was previously the biggest threat to my team.) as she outspeeds even Jolly Scizor and hits it with Hidden Power before it gets a chance to set up Swords Dance. In the event that she may not be able to down Metagross, Skarmory, or Forretress, Infernape's there to help her out. Rest is there so she can abuse her Natural Cure ability, by recovering the damage and immediately switching out. Swampert's there to rape Heatran, and Metagross if Infernape can't take them down.

[Potential Partners: Infernape, Swampert, Mismagius]

429.png

Mismagius @ Leftovers

Timid Nature(+Speed, -Atk)
    108 HP / 148 SpA / 252 Spe

~Nasty Plot
    ~Substitute
    ~Shadow Ball
    ~Thunderbolt/ HP fighting(I will switch in between, but thunderbolt is my primary move)

Despite being in the UU Tier, Mismagius can do a stellar job sweeping in the OU tier. She was my most valuable pokemon in the past, as she can outspeed even Yanmega after speed boost kicks in, and she can even outspeed Electivire that switches in to Thunderbolt. Mismagius covers the team's psychic and flying type weakness with her Shadow Ball and Thunderbolt and she can switch in to a psychic type and set up Substitute and Nasty Plot while they switch out. Substitute is mainly used to scout the opponent and prevents status effects. Nasty Plot boosted Thunderbolt can OHKO, Empoleon, Vaporeon, Skarmory, and sometimes Suicune. Shadow Ball is a guarunteed OHKO on any pokemon that's not Blissey or Snorlax or a Dark/Steel type. Blissey is 2HKO'd with a +6 Boosted HP Fighting, and with the Evs spread, Substitute will be much harder to break without a super effective attack. Tyranitar is OHKO'd, even if defensively spread. Mismagius would make a great asset to anyone's team, whether it be UU or OU, due to it's base 105 Speed and the ability to set up independantly.

Togekiss partners well with Mismagius as he can OHKO most Dark Types with a Nasty Plot boosted Aura Sphere, especially Tyranitar. Infernape can keep Honchkrow, and Absol in check, and it also makes a good partner for Mismagius by compensating for her crappy defenses.
    [Potential Partners: Infernape, Togekiss, and Machamp]

468.png

Togekiss @ Leftovers
    Modest Nature(+SpA, -Atk)
    Serene Grace

252 HP / 36 SpA / 220 Spe

Nasty Plot
    Aura Sphere
    Air Slash
    Roost

Togekiss, not seen very often in OU. But despite that, I needed a pokemon that has the bulk to set up on its own, and sweep unprepared teams. Boosted Aura Sphere OHKO's Tyranitar, and 2HKOs Blissey and covers for Mismagius's vulnerability to Dark type attacks. Air Slash for the STAB and 60% Flinch rate. Roost is there so Togekiss can sweep for much longer. Scizor will have a hard time killing Togekiss with a boosted Bullet Punch, hence why it makes a good partner besides Infernape, for Roserade, and Mismagius. I felt with the bulk, the set up and the sweeping movesets, Togekiss will be as much of a threat to other teams as my Mismagius, but without the speed.

(Also, I'm using the Paraflinch Togekiss besides this one. Because a combination of Serene Grace, Paralysis, and Air Slash makes Togekiss annoying to deal with.)

me2hack

Graphics Artist
    Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2011
    It's quite rare to have a slow lead.. Machamp won't be able to kill an Azelf,so Azelf can put up SR and switch for example.. And it is true that you can 1HKO an Aerodactyl, but most of the time it has a Focus Sash attached. Most leads actually..
    And your team doesn't really have a good counter against Psychic types, since 3 of your pokes are weak to Psychic. Of course you have Mismagius.. Let's take as example Alakazam.. You can 1HKO him with a shadow ball, unless he has a Focus Sash. But since most have a Timid nature, it outspeed you if it has more than 136 EV's in speed. And it can kill you with a Psychic whether it has Choice Specs or not.
    I did some damage calcs and an Alakazam can basically sweep your entire team, with just a Psychic, without a Choice Specs. A good counter for Alakazam would be Spiritomb or a Weavile, +Speed and 252 EV's in speed, even a pursuit would kill it instantly. Spiritomb can easily dispose of Alakazam with Shadow Sneak, or Sucker Punch.

Can't write to much since I got my things to do. >.<
    Hope I helped a bit.

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
  • It's quite rare to have a slow lead.. Machamp won't be able to kill an Azelf,so Azelf can put up SR and switch for example.. And it is true that you can 1HKO an Aerodactyl, but most of the time it has a Focus Sash attached. Most leads actually..
    And your team doesn't really have a good counter against Psychic types, since 3 of your pokes are weak to Psychic. Of course you have Mismagius.. Let's take as example Alakazam.. You can 1HKO him with a shadow ball, unless he has a Focus Sash. But since most have a Timid nature, it outspeed you if it has more than 136 EV's in speed. And it can kill you with a Psychic whether it has Choice Specs or not.
    I did some damage calcs and an Alakazam can basically sweep your entire team, with just a Psychic, without a Choice Specs. A good counter for Alakazam would be Spiritomb or a Weavile, +Speed and 252 EV's in speed, even a pursuit would kill it instantly. Spiritomb can easily dispose of Alakazam with Shadow Sneak, or Sucker Punch.

Can't write to much since I got my things to do. >.<
    Hope I helped a bit.

That Machamp beats Azelf 100% of the time unless its Coulbur (Colbur?) Azelf or if it is carrying a Life Orb and has Psychic.

As for the team itself, I would consider dropping Mach Punch on Infernape and putting in Thunderpunch, since Starmie causes you all sorts of trouble. Starmie is usually the first switch into Infernape so just try to predict its switch in and hit it with a Thunderpunch. It also helps against Tentacruel but I don't even know if anyone uses that. Also, you could use Flare Blitz if you wanted to as it will OHKO Gliscor but its all a matter of preference, you got Gliscor pretty well covered.

I'm not really sold on Mismagius but if it works I guess go for it, I would suggest Scarf Rotom-W since your team is pretty weak to anything that sets up.

Rotom-w @ Choice Scarf | 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe | Timid Nature
    Thunderbolt | Hydro Pump | Shadow Ball | Trick

Lastly, I would probably change Roserade to Shaymin since Shaymin has that little extra bulk and your team is really rather frail against physical hits (Swampert is bulky but he can only do so much).

Thats all I got, looks like a pretty solid team.

Cheeky Beaver

@ techloom clause
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2011
    maybe instead of replacing roserade with shaymin, just change roserade to a bulky roserade.

Roserade@ leftovers
    252 HP/120 def/ 136 spD
    spikes
    energy ball
    rest
    leech seed/ toxic

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today
    maybe instead of replacing roserade with shaymin, just change roserade to a bulky roserade.

Roserade@ leftovers
    252 HP/120 def/ 136 spD
    spikes
    energy ball
    rest
    leech seed/ toxic

Bulky Rade needs HP Fire in that last slot or its totally Forry and Skarm bait. This is of concern as it they can either Spin (and beat Mismag easily with Payback) or set up Spikes.

Not sold on this team though really. You lack checks to alot of threats. Gyarados, Lucario, Dragonite, LO Tran, Scizor, Gengar (just the tip of the Iceberg all go totally unchecked. :/

Back