• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon in real life

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
  • Not literally. :P But do you have a lot of friends or know people that play Pokemon games outside of the internet right now (ex, they didn't play Ruby when they were kids and never again)?

I'm only wondering because the only person I know who plays Pokemon is this one kid who goes to my school who I saw on Showdown a while ago (but I never really talk to him) and my brother. All my friends either don't play it or hide it from me ;)

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • I hang out with a Pokemon group at school! It's probably the only group that plays it, but who cares? They're a blast to be around.
    There's about 4-5 of us including me, and we sometimes talk about the games. They also go on Showdown, but I haven't battled them yet. I'm gonna get owned if I do, most probably. One of them went 11-1 with a new team he made, while I barely play OU.

Years
  • In high school I never knew anyone that did so never had anyone to trade with or anything BUT when I got to Uni it just so happened that one of my flatmates was super into Pokémon as well and lo and behold, I now have a Pokébuddy haha :)

Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2017
    I only have 2 friends who play Pokemon, and neither one of them played past gen 3, not because they weren't interested, but because they didn't have a DS. It's cool to talk to them about Pokemon, but if I ever mention a gen4+ Pokemon, I'll just get confused stares xD

Apollo

怖がらないで
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    Yeah, there are lots actually! :) I only talk with a few of them, though. My closest friend who plays Pokemon isn't really an avid fan, so he's not updated with the current news going on. My other closest friend is an avid fan, but we don't talk about it much for some reason. Doesn't help that we never talked to each other in person before, only through social networking sites, despite us being schoolmates. :P And I remember one kid from elementary who had Emerald (the same version as I had) and we had loads of fun playing together. One time, I took home his Emerald cartridge since he couldn't beat Tate & Liza, so I beat it for him. Good times. :')

Years
  • You all are lucky. I have exactly ZERO friends who play Pokemon, or at least I dont know they play it.
    I wish I could trade/battle with someone, but oh well.

Universe

all-consuming
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2016
    Every real life friend I've got now and have ever had all play Pokemon, hahaha.

But that's because I won't actually hang out with those who don't, or at least those who dislike Pokemon. Because I love having friends that I can talk to about it and hype over it with when new games are announced. (You should've seen me on ORAS announcement day pfff)

It's also very helpful to have people you can trade with at any given time for any reason.

I have only one real life friend who really doesn't care for Pokemon much, but it's excusable because he likes most everything else. >v>;

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • But that's because I won't actually hang out with those who don't, or at least those who dislike Pokemon. Because I love having friends that I can talk to about it and hype over it with when new games are announced. (You should've seen me on ORAS announcement day pfff)

I have only one real life friend who really doesn't care for Pokemon much, but it's excusable because he likes most everything else. >v>;

Yeah, its fun to have friends you can hype with, which is why I come on PC! I love my friends irl, but video games are like the one thing that weirdly enough doesnt really interest any of them I guess.

Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2014
    I have two firends who play pokémon. One I get to see every few months and I've only ever played with to help him evolve his Haunter, I don't think he knows about IVs and EVs so I probably would'nt have a hard time beating him anyway. We do however usually discuss updates on new games when he is around. The other I go to school with but only get talk to about once a week or so. We've battle and traded multiple times and last battle took so long that the timer almost ran out (about 8-9 minutes left).

Years
  • Actually a funny story. My school is very phone-oriented, as most schools probably are, so when someone discovers an app that's even remotely entertaining, it spreads like wildfire. Naturally, someone found out how to play Pokemon GBA games on their phone, and suddenly everyone I knew, that previously had snickered at me when I brought my DS to school, were avid Pokemon battlers and collectors, playing every chance they had. Some even asked me for advice, haha.

In terms of people I actually talk to, only my old, childhood friends are true Pokemon fans. Some of my buddies that I've gotten to know through activities like tennis don't really play video games, so I refrain from talking about it. No one I know is as into it as I am, though, which is one of the many reasons I joined this site!

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • I've seen a lot of kids at school playing Pokemon games on their 3DS, but only have talked to two twice so I wouldn't say we're friends, just acquaintances.

This probably doesn't count but I have a friend I met online who loves Pokemon as much as I do, who lives in my city and we've met in real life before and talked about Pokemon like crazy. I also know that two friends I was close with in grade school are still into Pokemon till this day. It's been a while since I've talked or hung out with either of the two though.

Years
  • I only have one real life friend that I play Pokemon with and that's about it really.He is quite into Pokemon though (like me),and I have helped him improve in battling.Rest of my internet friends are not really into Pokemon,so yeah,bit of a bummer for me.Other than him,have no one else to talk about Pokemon related stuff too.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2015
    A lot of my friends no longer play but did when we were younger. I never stopped playing so as soon as it's somehow mentioned in a convo everyone gets exited and whereas I'm like, "it's no biggie".

Cornflowerblues

Waterdancer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2014
    Well I've been lucky enough to grow up among pokémon enthusiasts and now that we're all kinda old, many of them still play...
    And those who don't at least follow the versions to the extent that you can chat about it.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I don't share irl that I play Pokemon though I'm pretty confident my friends don't unless they hide it just like I do. I've met other people through school, work, just out and about who play it (I overhear them or see them playing), but they always end up being SO WEIRD. Like besides Pokemon we have nothing in common/I am annoyed by any other conversation with them outside of Pokemon. The day I meet a normal person who enjoys Pokemon like I do I'll let everyone know.

Years
  • The only people I know irl that play pokemon are my brother and one of my friends. My friend doesn't have time to play games any more, though. I know another girl from my art class who is alright with pokemon but doesn't like the newer generations much.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I do know a few, yeah. One of them would be my cousin; she used to be deeply into Pokémon when generation three was around, and used to play with me every weekend whenever she came to my house. As soon as generation four was introduced, though, that spark began to fade, and she eventually stopped playing. She got back in after X and Y were released, however, thankfully. Aside from her, there's also a friend from elementary school; she used to be a follower when generation two was around, but not anymore.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I know a bunch of people who play Pokemon. There's actually a pretty strong following in and around college, as well as my own personal friends who play it on a regular basis. I also have a few family members that play as well, although it's seldom that I actually get to interact with them. Still, knowing a few people that play outside of the internet can make all the difference. :)

Seeker.

Brilliant
    Years
  • I actually have a lot of friends that play Pokemon on a regular basis. I met most of them during middle school, and Pokemon is pretty much the only thing we have in common these days. Still, it's much more fun to trade/battle with people that you know in real life.

Back