• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Disney Hand-Drawn 2D VS Digital 3D Rendering

Which do you prefer?

• Hand-Drawn 2D Animations

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Digital 3D Animations

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Both equally

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Years
  • Which of the art styles do you prefer in the Disney Animated Films, the traditional 2D or digital 3D?

Depending upon your preference, are there any 2D or 3D films you would like to see done in the other format?

It's probably the nostalgic romanticism on my behalf, but I love the hand-drawn pictures and hope to see a return of the style.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • I prefer both equally, but it gets really tiresome for me to have my opinions changed whenever the majority of the internet has a negative opinion on CG-animated films out of nostalgia from their precious childhoods in order to survive, which is why I always keep my expectations on a CG film low due to how much of a bad rep it's gotten in the geek culture. There's good 2D films and there's bad 2D films, just like how there's good CG films and bad CG films.

Kyrul

Long Live The Note
    Years
  • I like them both, but there is a nice charm to Disney's hand drawn work that that 3D renders can't capitalize on.

Years
  • I actually like both styles to be honest, though it depends on the movie in question.

As much as I'd love to see them do another hand-drawn movie, I doubt they will after the massive box office failure that was Home On The Range. I saw that movie when it was in cinemas and trust me, it was definitely lame and far too comedic which I guess explained why it bombed so heavily. They did try and do another attempt with Enchanted (which was also part-live action) and later The Princess And The Frog (surprisingly that one actually rated well) but I guess they knew that if they were to do 2D films in a modern era they wouldn't get the ratings they want.

And so that's why they decided to move entirely to 3D rendering in recent years, starting with Chicken Little. The switch to 3D was definitely taking them in the right direction, especially now that it gave us the massive success that was Frozen. In fact, one of the highest-grossing animated films of all time.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • I'm not counting Pixar here. Disney proper's 3D output is impressive, though lacking something intangible. Some magical quality that exists in their 2D masterpieces. Pixar has managed to replicate this in all their movies and shorts.

I have a fondness for Disney traditional 2D animation. So... that's my vote

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
    Years
  • I prefer 2D animation. While I don't mind 3D animations, I just find that 2D animations are just nicer overall to look at. And knowing that all that was drawn from hand is even more appealing to the eyes.

Her

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    once disney manages to put out 3D works that equal or surpass the acclaim garnered by the disney renaissance, then i'll consider the possibility of '3Disney' being the better of the two
    but until then... !

Years
  • Personally I like the hand drawn stuff. It just seems more genuine, you know? Sometimes the 3D stuff feel's like there's no human effort behind it, and that feeling sucks, so I like it hand drawn.

Back