• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Capitals of Pokemon Region

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Okay it may or may not sound very serious ,but i would like to discuss the capital cities of all the six regions.
    I know that some people might think that Pokemon is a child game , but it's just for fun.Here's mine:-
    1.Kanto-Celedon city, because of it's population
    2.Johto-Goldenrod city, because the city is the biggest in the region.
    3.Hoenn-Slateport city, because the city has everything(at least most)
    4.Sinnoh-Canalave city, cuz the city has ship network which makes people able to go at different places.
    5.Unova-Aspertia City, because it is just normal in everything which makes it perfect for everything
    6.Kalos-Lumiose city, this is probably the biggest city in pokemon world so far...

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    To me, it seems that they've done a nice job at making their capital cities actually feel like a capital.

Goldenrod and Celadon (latter might not precisely be considered a capital, but it is very close to one), in my eyes, stand out to me a lot particularly, mainly because how connected they are to each other. They have this railroad in middle of their city, which leads you directly to either Celadon or Goldenrod (depending on which location you happen to be at the time) when taking train.

Aside from these two, I'm a big fan of Lumiose (due to its size and features), as well as Slateport.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Castelia City would make more sense to me as the capital of Unova. Aspertia is kind of this little town tucked away in the corner of the map. Castelia on the other hand is the largest city in the region and sports a number of business offices and a port.

luke

Master of the Elements
    Years
  • I would see Rustboro or Lilycove as being the more likely choices for capital of Hoenn. Maybe even Mauville but it was kind of dinky in the originals compared to the remakes. Hoenn is the only region that's biggest city doesn't immediately jump out as the capital.

Oh and I see Saffron being the capital over Celadon. But that's definitely a 50/50 chance in my opinion.

IggyKoopa

#429: magical pokémon
    Years
  • Well, let's compare these to the real-life capitals:

Saffron is Tokyo, so that makes sense to be the capital of the Kanto region.
    Johto is modeled after part of the Kansai region and part of the Chubu region, and Goldenrod is based off of Osaka. Thus, most likely the capital of Johto.
    The Hoenn region is Kyushu rotated 90 degrees, and the largest city in Kyushu is Fukuoka, which Petalburg is apparently based off of... but Slateport seems more capital-city-like, and is based off of Nagasaki, so make of that what you will.
    Sinnoh is based on Hokkaido, Jublife is based on its capital city Sapporo.
    Unova is based on Manhattan and part of New Jersey. The most likely candidates for its capital would be Nimbasa, based on Midtown, and Castelia, based on Lower Manhattan.
    Kalos is obviously France, and Lumiose is clearly Paris. No question.

source: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokémon_world_in_relation_to_the_real_world

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    90FC3C has a sound reasoning :)

Kanto is tricky. I think Fuchsia and Cerulean are also candidates, but most likely I'd say Saffron is the capital city. It's got the tallest (and most?) buildings and is at the center of the map and connected in all directions.

Johto isn't very hard. Though Ecruteak is a contenter with Goldenrod, I'd say. While the latter clearly is the largest and busiest city, Ecruteak has the most history and is probably meant to be quite big too. Does the capital need to be the biggest? No.

Hoenn hasn't got a clear candidate imo, but I'd say Rustboro is possible aside from Slateport and Lilycove, which I personally feel could be the capital. But it's very tricky.

I don't know enough about Sinnoh to make an educated guess, but Jubilife sounds fair!

In Unova and Kalos, there's really no question about it: Castelia and Lumiose are definitely the capitals.

Years
  • Rika's got a good point about Ecruteak that I was going to make myself- not all capital cities are that big, but they do have historical importance to the country/region, etc.

Kanto - While there's no question that an argument can be made for Celadon, I'm going to guess that the capital city of Kanto is Saffron. Not only is the most important company in the region there (Silph Co.), but the city is more densely populated than Celadon, suggesting that a lot more goes on there. It also has one of the few direct connections to Johto via the magnet train, which would seemingly connect the two most important cities of the regions.

Johto - Even before reading Rika's post, I figured that at some point, Ecruteak was the capital of Johto. But, with the metropolization of Goldenrod, it probably became the new capital at some point. Again, it's the most important city in the region, and is directly linked to Kanto via the magnet train, which is why I suspect it was built in these two cities rather than elsewhere (like Viridian-Blackthorn).

Hoenn - I don't think there's any clear favorite in Hoenn, since you could tell me any one of Mauville, Rustboro, Slateport, or Lilycove were the capital, and I wouldn't blink an eye. Based on location though, I'm going to guess Slateport is the capital. It's the most accesible to other regions thanks to it's many ports, and was likely one of the first places settled in when Hoenn was first inhabited.

Sinnoh - Much like Hoenn, there isn't a clear winner here. Based on it's short distance from Canalave (and likely Almia), I'll guess that Jubilife is the capital of Sinnoh. Much like Johto, I wouldn't be surprised if Eterna City was the capital at one point, especially if it was around well before the other major cities of the region.

Unova - While Castelia seems like the obvious candidate, it could very well be one of the smaller cities, seeing as how New York's capital is Albany- only the 6th most populous city in the state. Then again, Unova is only based on part of New York, so making Castelia the capital could be very likely.

Kalos - This is the only one where there shouldn't be much of a debate, with Lumiose being the capital of the region. Lumiose is basically as close to a replica of Paris as you can get without actually calling it Paris (the same could be said of Kalos/France as a whole), so making a city like Cyllage or Anistar the capital would be silly.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • Hmm; I might have to think this over... I would say Saffron City works well for Kanto, Stratos City (Castelia) for Unova, and Lumiose City for Kalos... Either Mauville City or Slateport City could work for the Hoenn region, in my opinion... As for Johto, Ecruteak City or Goldenrod City makes sense.

RoreyG

Lizardon Man
    Years
  • KANTO- Either Celadon City or Saffron City.

JOHTO- Most likely Goldenrod City.

HOENN- Lilycove City (Port, Department Store, Largest Contest Hall)

SINNOH- Veilstone City is my best guess (Department Store, main Galactic HQ)

UNOVA- Castelia City (sheer size and population).

KALOS- Lumiose City (Kalos is based off of France and Lumiose is obviously Paris)

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
    Years
  • Ok, so I can't give full-detailed explanations for all, since I've barely played Gen V for example. However, I will give it my best shot:

Kanto: I would say that Saffron City would most likely be the capital city. It has a very many business corporations situated there, plus the monorail, and Silph Co. would only really be based in the capital right, as such a large company.
    Now onto more real-life points. Saffron City is situated at a crossroads. Think about how towns and cities built up in history, they start as one person selling wares at a significant through-pass for traders and merchants. With towns north south east and west of it, it's not hard to think that the area would have had a lot of traders travelling through the area. This means it will have had access to more trade than any of the other cities would, as not all traders would go to all, but all WOULD pass through the Saffron area. Hence it would also have built up a lot of money, to become Kanto's biggest city, and capital.

Johto: This is irrefutably Goldenrod City. The only city in Johto that has even a hint of a commercial and developed background. It's location doesn't lead to the same argument as for Saffron, but location doesn't mean everything. Since Goldenrod is so significantly built up to the point of outshining any other city in the region, the area must have been a significant travel route for all traders in the area. Perhaps due to the route or because of the constant blockages thanks to Sudowoodo, either way Goldenrod became immensely successful, also gaining Johto's part of the monorail, and the Radio Tower. I think it is safe to conclude Goldenrod as Johto's capital.

Hoenn: Many of you have said that Slateport or Rustboro would be Hoenn's capital, however, I would ague different and say that Mauvile is Hoenn's capital. Even before the remakes, it was clear that Mauvile was an immensely rich area, with it's 'Mayor', Watson, having also developed New Mauvile, in the hopes to make Mauvile a more sustainable city. Also, again, it's location just makes sense! It is also at a crossroads, receiving trade from all directions. It also has the Game Corner, an extremely expensive luxury entertainment center. Rydell has also set up his Bike store there, in the hopes of getting his name known. Where would you set up a new store in hopes of getting your brand known? The capital of course, where the majority of trade flows through and people from all over witness your brand. The remakes only solidify this idea, with Mauvile become even more of a wealthy city, sharing development ideas with Lumiose city (Kalos's capital, without a doubt). So for Hoenn, I give you Mauvile as the capital.

Sinnoh: This one is between Hearthome and Jubilife. One the one hand, Hearthome is incredibly weathy, popular and brings in a lot of outsiders for Pokémon Contests. It is also slap bang in the middle of Sinnoh, providing a rest point for travellers coming through the mountain, and about to go through. That said, Jubilife is connected on three sides to travel routes to other cities, including Canalave which means that Jubilife is in close vicinity to many other region's trade as well. I think my final conclusion for Sinnoh, would be Jubilife, simply because of its connections and commerce over Hearthome.

Unova: There's no reason capital cities shouldn't be next to the sea as ports too, they often just aren't, as trade often doesn't stop at the port upon import, and exports aren't suddenly going to be sold to companies on the coast. It's not a economically sounds area to settle a business in. This makes me question why Castelia city has so many tower blocks there. I'm unsure what companies could do there, over Nimbasa City, which would be my ideal choice for a capital city, based on location, and commerce, tourism and so on. I feel that Nimbasa City just fits the bill more-so than Castelia City, and it also feels a tad bigger, despite the fact that it isn't. That's all I can say really, I don't remember too much from Gen V.

Kalos. Does this one even need explaining after my previous explanations and just everything about it? It is clearly Kalos's capital. Without a doubt.

So that's my two cents on the topic. Hopefully it made sense :P

Years
  • Hmmm.. Okay it's looking like my assumption at the start of the thread was bit wrong.But there's always hope for the correction (luckily we can do).So here's not just mine but also of yours:-

1.Kanto - I said celedon, just because the city has many interesting places like shopping mall, skyscrapers, the Erika gym.Also the very important, it has the highest population of all kanto, nobody observed that thing(if you're thinking it's saffron then you're wrong, it has population of 63 and celedon has about 80 to 100).But most of the people are saying Saffron,due to nostalgia or any other thing, so I'll go with this.

2.Johto - why i said goldenrod is just because of how much it is developed. I don't think so that there is any other city which can be compared with this city in johto.Not always but at least most of the time, the capital is one which is most developed. So it will remain Goldenrod City.

3.Hoenn - Okay there seems to be great confusion between Slateport, Lilycove, Mauville, Rustboro.I think that Mauville does not has that quality that is required to be a capital( from my experience i did not find anything interesting there, except for game corner).It also lack in area.Rustboro is very^1000 dumb city .Nothing that gave me a surprise.Just gym can't make your city a capital. Slateport and Lilycove are the main contender here.Let us discuss which one is.

4.Sinnoh - Why i am wrong here? Canalave is the only which i found to be a capital to sinnoh.There are many big cities in Sinnoh like Jubilife, Veilstone, Hearthome.But they are just big city with there own uniqueness. Canalave on the other hand has many features like ship network, library, gym, and that locked house of darkrai.

5.Castellia-okay here i got wrong sorry, sorry ,sorry........... Fine it's Castellia.... or maybe even.. nibassa.Which one do you all prefer ?

6.Kalos - i don't think so that my decision got wrong.Everyone agress with lumiose city.

So two discussions are there.Of hoenn and unova i want all the answERS.... sorry votes.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Hoenn: Many of you have said that Slateport or Rustboro would be Hoenn's capital, however, I would ague different and say that Mauvile is Hoenn's capital. Even before the remakes, it was clear that Mauvile was an immensely rich area, with it's 'Mayor', Watson, having also developed New Mauvile, in the hopes to make Mauvile a more sustainable city. Also, again, it's location just makes sense! It is also at a crossroads, receiving trade from all directions. It also has the Game Corner, an extremely expensive luxury entertainment center. Rydell has also set up his Bike store there, in the hopes of getting his name known. Where would you set up a new store in hopes of getting your brand known? The capital of course, where the majority of trade flows through and people from all over witness your brand. The remakes only solidify this idea, with Mauvile become even more of a wealthy city, sharing development ideas with Lumiose city (Kalos's capital, without a doubt). So for Hoenn, I give you Mauvile as the capital.
    The way I see it is if Mauvile is the capital, it's only become one in recent times. Unless I'm remembering things wrong, New Mauville was recently redeveloped by Wattson, and it was a more modest place in RSE. Sure, it had a Game Corner and Gym, but besides a bike shop (which isn't really a selling point imo) and maybe location (still probably beaten by the portside Slateport), it didn't appear to be all that major to me. It certainly is filled with more stuff now in ORAS however. But before that, Mauvile didn't quite hold enough sway, and I'm not quite sure if it being redeveloped to such an extent is worthy to take off the title of capital city from the other candidates. But the Pokemon world may work differently to ours, I suppose!.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Idk if there really is a definitive answer for what's the capital of Hoenn. Slateport, Rustboro, Mauville (ORAS Mauville anyway), and Lilycove are all reasonable choices, but none of them exactly scream capital city like Lumiose does.

@pokeconstructor: Nimbasa would be more like the entertainment capital of Unova imo. Like the Vegas or the Disneyworld of Pokemon or something.

Oh yeah and I never listed my choices for capital of each region:
    Spoiler:

But what exactly defines a capital city?

Years
  • 26Th april was the day last time any post was replied. Okay one question was there - What defines a capital region? .A city which is designated as the legislative seat of a country.In pokemon world if there is any government, then city having the headquarters of it will be considered the capital.But in games (or even in anime) nobody confesses it, so it is pretty hard to say.

Okay Thread Closed!!!!!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back