• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Question: Forum Marking Threads As Read Even Though I Didn't Read Them

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Title says it all. Lately the forums have been marking threads as read even though I have never read them.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • I'll just c/p what Audy explained it as, since trying to explain it any other way would be convoluted. :B

Sorta. There are two main ways vBulletin can handle the "read/unread" status of threads. It can either store that information in our database, which means it's persisted for-basically-ever, and that's how we had it up until a few days ago. The other method is storing them in sessions/cookies, which only persist as long as your session is kept alive. aka, if you leave PC for longer than 15 minutes, everything becomes marked as if you've "read" it already.

We switched because the database method stores a **** ton of data and the forums were hella slow this week, so we did it to lighten that load a little. Every page load would check that database table for read/unread, for every user.

I'm working on a better solution that will be mostly-persistent and also no stress on the database, so we get the best of both words. 8) But as usual it's Coming Soon.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    I'll just c/p what Audy explained it as, since trying to explain it any other way would be convoluted. :B

If that were the case, then it's quite buggy.

I logged in, went to my User CP and see a few unread threads, went to my profile to see new visitor messages, went back to User CP but the unread threads are all gone. All in a span of less than 5 minutes.

It's annoying at times.

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
    Years
  • Well that's good to know, coz I've been having problems where I read a thread, but it doesnt register that I did read that thread, and then awhile ago, posts from way before suddenly became unread, but that was probably because you guys switched databases :x

Back