• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Pokemon Bank

Will you be doing the same thing?

• Yeah, I probably would...

Votes: 87 74.4%
  • Nah, I'll stick to breeding instead.

Votes: 30 25.6%

• Total voters

Beyond Infinity

Couldn't Outfox a Donkey
Years

Hey,

As most of you have noticed, we only get 7 boxes (plus our Party and Battle Box) in X and Y, allowing a maximum of 222 Pokemon to be stored.

As someone who does a bit of breeding, I am already well into my 4th box, and I haven't really gotten started yet either.

So, Nintendo has announced online storage called the Pokemon Bank. 100 boxes of 30 Pokemon, allowing an extra 3,000 Pokemon to be stored, at a cost.

Japan has a yearly cost of 500 Yen, which is roughly £3 or $5.

Is anyone else considering using this, or upset that they have to pay to get a decent amount of storage?

Last edited by a moderator:

LoudSilence

more like uncommon sense
Years
  • Age 35
  • US
  • Seen Aug 7, 2016
As most of you have noticed, we only get 7 boxes (plus our Party and Battle Box) in X and Y, allowing a maximum of 222 Pokemon to be stored.

You're in luck, because it just so happens that the amount of boxes you get increases as you fill them up. I have "unlocked" about 20 boxes. I don't think there's any sort of limit.

Is anyone else considering using this, or upset that they have to pay to get a decent amount of storage?

The main function aside from storing large amounts of Pokemon on the cloud is the ability to upload Pokemon from older generations. Since there's no other way to communicate between DS/3DS games, this is gonna be a huge deal.

The price is so negligible that I don't think anyone would actually complain about it. It costs about as much as a school lunch; anyone young or old would be able to afford 3 quid/5 bucks a year.

DynamicD

Metagross Fan
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 22, 2015
5 USD a year? That's pretty much a steal, and I'm pretty happy to be able to bring all of my 5th gen pokemon to my X game. I can't wait for it!

Years
What I want to know is if I can put all the pokes that I want to save on the Pokebank and then restart my game without loosing the Pokebank.
I love starting a new game and playing through with my favorite pokemon rather than the ones that are available in the regular play through. I hope this is possible.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
It appears that it costs more for Europeans, and Australians than it does for Americans and Japanese (after one does the conversion rates), wonder if it's due to the server there being more expansive or if Gf and Nintendo are just pondering to those of us in America and Japan again...

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
IDK if you all knew this or not, but I'm pretty sure the PokeBank is free for the first month of its release.

Years
What I want to know is if I can put all the pokes that I want to save on the Pokebank and then restart my game without loosing the Pokebank.
I love starting a new game and playing through with my favorite pokemon rather than the ones that are available in the regular play through. I hope this is possible.

I'm fairly sure it is. I hope so anyway, because I'm really looking forward to restarting my game without losing my Pokémon. :x

It appears that it costs more for Europeans, and Australians than it does for Americans and Japanese (after one does the conversion rates), wonder if it's due to the server there being more expansive or if Gf and Nintendo are just pondering to those of us in America and Japan again...

Yeah, I live in Europe and it's €5 a year... whereas it's also 5 USD, which is way less. I mean, it's still not a lot of money or anything, but it's kind of unfair.

Maybe it's because in Japan and America, there are more Pokémon players? Just a thought.

Beyond Infinity

Couldn't Outfox a Donkey
Years
Maybe it's because in Japan and America, there are more Pokémon players? Just a thought.
More players = more servers = economics of scale = cheaper cost per server.

That's probably what's happening. Plus, the EU/AUS regions tend to be overcharged for video games frequently anyway.

LoudSilence

more like uncommon sense
Years
  • Age 35
  • US
  • Seen Aug 7, 2016

Count said:
Yeah, I live in Europe and it's €5 a year... whereas it's also 5 USD, which is way less. I mean, it's still not a lot of money or anything, but it's kind of unfair.

It's silly but somehow I think companies assume EUR = EUD = USD. I mean, look at the pricing for all the latest gen games. It's as if conversion rates don't exist and the number means the same thing everywhere.

Years
It's silly but somehow I think companies assume EUR = EUD = USD. I mean, look at the pricing for all the latest gen games. It's as if conversion rates don't exist and the number means the same thing everywhere.
Yeah, sometimes I feel they do that...hopefully not...because that'll just be stupid. The only exception of course is Japan which doesn't have to pay 5 yen for it xD (and Australia which has to pay 8 something) in this particular case.

Years
Definitely getting it now if its only around £3 per year. Am guessing the higher pricing in Europe could be to do with tax (Nintendo must have to pay tax on in someway VAT maybe?) or that Europeans are viewed as willing to pay more for goods than in North America or Japan or that even exchange rates could come into play?

KittenKoder

I Am No One Else
Years
sorry if these seems a noobish question but can you transfer directly from gen 4 to 6? I dont have a gen 5 game and I really want my Alakazam in gen 6

Side note: You should ask questions like these in the Quick Q&A thread at the of the topic list. ;)

To answer, they have to be transferred to the bank first, when the bank comes out, then to X or Y. The Transporter only works with gen 5 though, nothing prior to that.

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
Years
Hey,

As someone who does a bit of breeding, I am already well into my 4th box, and I haven't really gotten started yet either.

So, Nintendo has announced online storage called the Pokemon Bank. 100 boxes of 30 Pokemon, allowing an extra 3,000 Pokemon to be stored, at a cost.

Japan has a yearly cost of 500 Yen, which is roughly £3 or $5.

Actually, the box number expands to a max of 31 boxes, allowing for up to 930 Pokemon to be stored, not including your party and Battle Box.

As for Pokemon Bank, I really only plan on using it during the trial period to transfer all 660 (one of each species + duplicates) of my Pokemon over from Black 2. After that, I don't really plan on using it anymore. I never catch enough Pokemon for box space to be a problem. xD

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I'm really excited for PokéBank; can't wait for it to be released. There's a lot of Pokémon that I'm wanted to transfer from my previous games, so, yeah. Honestly, paying five dollars for it a year isn't that much. We spend a lot more money than that on a daily basis. d: If PokéBank cost us, like, twenty dollars per year, then that would've been a bit pricey. This isn't the case, though. Plus, they're going to give us a free trail for the first month; if you like it, then you're free to keep it. And if you don't, you may cancel the service.

Years
I'm really excited for PokéBank; can't wait for it to be released. There's a lot of Pokémon that I'm wanted to transfer from my previous games, so, yeah. Honestly, paying five dollars for it a year isn't that much. We spend a lot more money than that on a daily basis. d: If PokéBank cost us, like, twenty dollars per year, then that would've been a bit pricey. This isn't the case, though. Plus, they're going to give us a free trail for the first month; if you like it, then you're free to keep it. And if you don't, you may cancel the service.
I'm the same, I can't wait to send over my legendaries and non-Kanto (and Torchic) starters.

fireflystorm

shsl loser
Years
I'm definitely gonna use it, at least during the trial, so my boyfriend and I can transfer through our old gen pokemon to X and Y. If I get a subscription, it'll probably just be for the ability to restart and not lose my rares/shinies/etc.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Mar 30, 2014
I like that they're giving us a month's worth of free trial period. I'm definitely gonna try and import my poke' buddies from HG and Black

Back