• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Question] Story line

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2015
    Ok I want to get started with building in everything but I'm in need of a storyline.

How do you find a good story line for your game?
    I'm looking for suggestions and some advise into this area :P

Greetz Oyashima

Years
    • Seen Jan 29, 2017
    Ok I want to get started with building in everything but I'm in need of a storyline.

How do you find a good story line for your game?
    I'm looking for suggestions and some advise into this area :P

Greetz Oyashima

Yeah, that's a good question that everybody does when he starts a new project, the firs place is to know, I mean, you need to know what others have done, you have to also use your own imagination and then use the experience and concepts you get by influence of other projects and ideas.
    You have to read, to have some basis, some general culture, and then, you are ready to go and write a genuine and amazing new idea.

I'll let you this two documents of a independent group of game developers I've found some time ago and that were very useful for me.

http://wannabe.urustar.net/
    http://urustar.net/how-we-work/

If you look a bit in their page you can find other cool things, but this is what I think is the most importan, go ahead, read it, it will help you for sure! ^^

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2015
    Hmm thanks for the feedback , and yea indeed I don't want to do something that somebody else already did ;P

Years
    • Seen Jan 29, 2017
    Yep, but by creating a new story, even if you don't want to you are unconsciously reusing concepts that were used in other stories you had contact with, this isn't a problem, this is part of the process.

Look it this way: "everything already exists. The ideas, plots, characters — they're already out there in someone else's story. Originality isn't a matter of coming up with something new, it's a matter of using your imagination to take old concepts and put them together in new ways."
    http://www.writingforward.com/writing-ideas/are-there-any-original-writing-ideas-left

So, if you really wanna create an incredible idea wich is rich and really original, well... you are going to need many diferent influences.

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
    Years
  • I have to agree with Polectron - when writing, let's face it, almost everything has already been done in some capacity. Heck, that's why TVtropes exists. The important thing is to look at stories and figure out what's good about them, distill them into that base element, and figure out what you can do in the context of your own game. If you know that a similar story has been told, then it's perfectly fair to look at what made that story fun.

Years
    • Seen Jan 29, 2017
    I have to agree with Polectron - when writing, let's face it, almost everything has already been done in some capacity. Heck, that's why TVtropes exists. The important thing is to look at stories and figure out what's good about them, distill them into that base element, and figure out what you can do in the context of your own game. If you know that a similar story has been told, then it's perfectly fair to look at what made that story fun.

Yep, that basically sums it up.

Tek

Years
  • Great insight. One thing I would add is to build your story around something that fascinates you. It will help drive your project to completion, and probably make the process more fun, when you are sharing a story that is meaningful to you.

Drawing from personal experience has helped me in the short game I'm working on. A little bit of family tension, lots of poking fun and excessive sarcasm, a snobby chick. It helps make the characters more real. Sometimes I just build an interesting dialogue between a couple of characters, which may be used as a side quest if it doesn't relate to the overall story.

Alkaiser

Superhero
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Aug 1, 2014
    All writers learn by imitation. You start just writing a story in the style of another story you like. With time you learn how to combine different story elements, fusing them together to create something more unique. You learn narrative techniques not by reading about them in a book but writing. In time you will be able to create a story of your own, based on a universe of your creation. It is impossible not no be influenced by the stories you like, so don't be ashamed of your sources. Be proud of them! The most difficult thing about writing is developing a style of your own. You will have to spend literally years and even may never find one style that suits you. But that's okey, justo keep experimenting and having fun.

That's the way you learn how to write a story, any kind of story.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen today
    All writers learn by imitation. You start just writing a story in the style of another story you like. With time you learn how to combine different story elements, fusing them together to create something more unique. You learn narrative techniques not by reading about them in a book but writing. In time you will be able to create a story of your own, based on a universe of your creation. It is impossible not no be influenced by the stories you like, so don't be ashamed of your sources. Be proud of them! The most difficult thing about writing is developing a style of your own. You will have to spend literally years and even may never find one style that suits you. But that's okey, justo keep experimenting and having fun.

That's the way you learn how to write a story, any kind of story.
    I agree. This works for virtually anything in game development. Feedback is also VERY important because sometimes we create blind points.

Years
    • Seen Jul 9, 2015
    Well, if it's Pokémon there are MANY dead games/projects, you can read their plots and take a bit of everything, add some of your own and you'll have a consistent plot.

If it's Pokémon or other "fan-based" games, you can help your plot by taking ideas from the anime/Manga or even by reading some fan-fictions, again by adding some ideas of your own.

If it's a completely new game, you can get ideas by watching movies, by watching arts, by reading books, and so on.
    Essentially, if you have a lot of immagination you can make up something raw right away (and eventually shape it into a consistent plot slowly) otherwise you can take ideas by watching or reading something and write all the keywords somewhere, put them together with a bit of your own and then let it slowly take shape.

Back