• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Salamence: Uber or OU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Prince_

Pikachu?
Years
  • prince anything that is guaranteed at least 50% damage to anything it hits outclasses mence or any wall breaker especially if they can do it without locking themselves into a single move and then being confused after.lol

you may need to read your post again you did make a statement saying he just doesn't cut it for ubers that is why i said his performance in ubers is not important

Kenpachi: of course all pokemon are versatile to a degree however the sets always have something in common so none of the sets really stray to far away from another set (barring legends)
    only pokemon with versatility like mence in my personal opinion are his other 2 fellow dragons in ou and t-tar

Why would i need to re-read, if you're confused i'm more than happy to explain. 'doesn't cut it for ubers' meaning his OU performance doesn't meet uber requirement. I've never said anything about mence's performance in ubers. lol

Years
  • Personally, I've never had any problems with Salemence whatsoever. Maybe I have a good Mence-counter team, but I usually just find that Mence goes down to 1 Stone Edge from 1 of the 3 Pokemon on my team that have Stone Edge and even without them, I can usually manage to take it down (even without any ice attacks); sometimes without having SR either.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Mence is a good wall-breaker, granted.

However, I think it's not really ubers material, bar one thing.

Latias. Now Latias is uber, the only thing that can kill Mence bar an Ice Shard (most users get eaten by Fire Blast, or just KO'd by any other attack Mence uses) is ScarfFlygon. And, well, that only revenge kills. And if you run Mence + Steel, Flygon is dead.

My overall opinion is it probably should be uber now.

Except Latias used to be uber, and Salamence was still OU. Nobody seemed to have a problem with it then, nobody should have a problem with it now. The metagame is the exact same as it was the day before Latias moved down, and only now do they have a problem? wat.

Salamence is strong, yes, and it is versatile, of course. It is arguably the best mixed sweeper OU has to offer. However, it's not nearly overpowered enough for movement into Ubers. For one, it's defeated by just about any Pokemon running just about any Ice-type move. Max Sp. Att. LUVDISC ICE BEAM OHKOS AFTER SR. A FREAKIN' LUVDISC.

It's not a real danger when it's hugely dented by just about every priority move. 65% Bullet Punch from Scizor? 65% Extremespeed Lucario? 100% Mamoswine Ice Shard?

I have used Salamence myself and...it's nothing special. Being a medium-noob, I can hardly use it "properly", much like most of the battlers out there. It's only a deadly weapon in the strongest player's hands but, honestly, just about anything is a deadly weapon with those guys.

Last edited:

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today
    Except Latias used to be uber, and Salamence was still OU. Nobody seemed to have a problem with it then, nobody should have a problem with it now. The metagame is the exact same as it was the day before Latias moved back now, and only now do they have a problem? wat.

See this is why i dont trust the suspect tests in the slightest. Nor do i participate in them.

If you read the smogon thread, a well know memeber makes a statement i.e "Wow specs Latias is really powerful its pretty hard to stop!" or something similar and then everyone bandwagons and goes all like "Wow man it can even get past Blissey with Trick" and "If it predicts right it can beat everything" and so more bandwagoning and more theorymoning is born. Seriously, they did the same with Froslass in UU, the same with Raikou and started to do the same with Rhyperior, Duggy, Snover and Walrein to an extent but dropped it off with those and are doing the same with Mence now. Its pretty ridiculous that everyone zones in on a suspect then bandwagons it out of the tier. Froslass was voted UU twice then people like Heysup (no offense to him) wanted it gone and at every opportunity pointed out how uber its Spikes were apparently making anything from Raikou to Chansey sweep everything in the tier so yeah. Really players moan way too much.

Also wasnt Latias voted OU by a majority TWICE before so uh yeah i really didnt get that either or why it even needed to be tested again after that. :/

Last edited:

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
  • Except Latias used to be uber, and Salamence was still OU. Nobody seemed to have a problem with it then, nobody should have a problem with it now. The metagame is the exact same as it was the day before Latias moved down, and only now do they have a problem? wat.

IIRC when Latias was Uber Salamence didn't have Outrage yet. But I could be wrong, I wasn't playing back then.

Froslass was voted UU twice then people like Heysup (no offense to him) wanted it gone and at every opportunity pointed out how uber its Spikes were apparently making anything from Raikou to Chansey sweep everything in the tier so yeah. Really players moan way too much.

Also wasnt Latias voted OU by a majority TWICE before so uh yeah i really didnt get that either or why it even needed to be tested again after that. :/

I think Froslass did get pretty bandwagon(ed) as well which is sad, since Omastar and Cloyster aren't good replacements. Qwil is an OK replacement, but it can't prevent spin blockers at the same time, which was really nice. :(

And (I could be wrong) but I don't think Latias was voted Uber by 60% or more which is what it needs to be for suspects, but like I said, I could be wrong.

Skip Shot

I'm back. I think.
    Years
  • Latias was voted as OU twice if I remember right, which should be enough to keep it in OU. However, that was 6-2 and 6-3. In 6-4 and 6-5 (why did we even have those stages lol), Latias was voted as Uber both times, technically banning it. However, iirc it shouldn't have been considered for Uber in 6-4 and 6-5 because of its already voted OU status 2 stages in a row. So yea it looks like a corrupted Smogon chain of command if you ask me lol.

Also Gamer Latias was brought down after Platinum's release, so Mence did have Outrage at the time. I don't see why people started having problems with it now, same with Mence. Maybe they just got lazy and whiny because they basically bandwagoned with people who were lazy and whiny.

RTHookers

Banned
    Years
  • Latias was voted OU twice.
    Now some little crybabies said "OMG CHOICE SPECS.", because of Choice Specs it got banned. Why not ban specs on her? I already dislike choiced Pokemon in general so yeah. If not Specs let's ban SCARF. Or lets ban both and not be noobs.
    Mence got outrage in Plat, so it's a year around and it's about darn time people start crying about it. I never cried about mence and I'm playing for like 2 months.
    PS Froslass got bandwagoned so badly.. it's sad actually. It's the best offensive spiker. People cried so much I didn't get it why......... JUST WHY?! Because you're too stupid to waste more turns and use foresight to rightfully get taunted in the face instead of just bullet punching it to oblivion?! It's not Tar, it doesn't run Babiri, and it has bad defenses. Raikou was a huge pain but I could get over it sometimes with my Absol.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
  • Latias was voted as OU twice if I remember right, which should be enough to keep it in OU. However, that was 6-2 and 6-3. In 6-4 and 6-5 (why did we even have those stages lol), Latias was voted as Uber both times, technically banning it. However, iirc it shouldn't have been considered for Uber in 6-4 and 6-5 because of its already voted OU status 2 stages in a row. So yea it looks like a corrupted Smogon chain of command if you ask me lol.

Also Gamer Latias was brought down after Platinum's release, so Mence did have Outrage at the time. I don't see why people started having problems with it now, same with Mence. Maybe they just got lazy and whiny because they basically bandwagoned with people who were lazy and whiny.

Who cares if they shouldn't have had the last two tests? As long as they get it right, why should it matter? Lol corrupt chain of command, it's not like they control how people vote. And really, their policy ultimately was more about Manaphy than Latias since they wanted to "be sure" with it. When Manaphy was finally banned, a stunning Uber majority was in front of them for Latias as well, which they couldn't just ignore.

Also it's so annoying how dismissive the pro-OU crowd with not just Salamence but Latias is with the pro-Uber people. Instead of the other side being people you disagree with, they're "lazy and whiny" or "they're just using bandwagoning tactics." My lord, it's not so black and white (and certainly not so favorable to one side). You must also consder the fact that the set that got Latias banned (Choice Specs) was pretty obscure for a long time. Just check out these stats from October 2009, which was when Latias was number 3 in usage. Only one eighth of Latias used Specs. It actually never rose to 25%, even as awareness grew, so naturally alarm is going to be low if it's not used a whole lot.

But even with that aside, there is a perfectly logical argument for Latias belong in the Uber tier. If you disagree with it, fine, but acting like people are lazy or anything else just because they don't agree with your position is preposterous.

See this is why i dont trust the suspect tests in the slightest. Nor do i participate in them.

If you read the smogon thread, a well know memeber makes a statement i.e "Wow specs Latias is really powerful its pretty hard to stop!" or something similar and then everyone bandwagons and goes all like "Wow man it can even get past Blissey with Trick" and "If it predicts right it can beat everything" and so more bandwagoning and more theorymoning is born. Seriously, they did the same with Froslass in UU, the same with Raikou and started to do the same with Rhyperior, Duggy, Snover and Walrein to an extent but dropped it off with those and are doing the same with Mence now. Its pretty ridiculous that everyone zones in on a suspect then bandwagons it out of the tier. Froslass was voted UU twice then people like Heysup (no offense to him) wanted it gone and at every opportunity pointed out how uber its Spikes were apparently making anything from Raikou to Chansey sweep everything in the tier so yeah. Really players moan way too much.

Basically the same thing I said above applies here. Reckless hyperbole with the whole bandwagoning and theorymoning and "these players moan too much" is just totally absurd. There are voting requirements and paragraph submissions for a reason. The voters are for the most part made up of top players with a ton of experience and knowledge, and with the paragraphs to make sure their reasoning is good. You can call it "bandwagoning" or "theorymon" all you want but the truth of the matter is that experienced players don't base their opinions off of theory or popular opinion but their own personal experience, and a lot of the "victims" of "bandwagoning" can't even vote. It sounds like a pretty poor scapegoat if you ask me. Furthermore, many of these players vote Uber because they've abused to sets rather than lose to them, so I would think that you can't call that whining or moaning but instead a logical conclusion. There is no need to demonize a way of thinking anyway >_>. No idea about the UU analogy though since I don't pay attention to that tier, so sorry about that haha.

It's actually kind of hilarious how this thread is not only hardly about Salamence anymore but also is hardly even arguing anymore. It's just a bunch of people haranguing Smogon or the suspect voters for supposed laziness or theorymon. The fact that none of the characteristics have even been mentioned shows just how crooked and useless this thread really is at this point. Why the hell should I keep this thread open if we can't even discuss something like civilized human beings? ._.

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
  • Also Gamer Latias was brought down after Platinum's release, so Mence did have Outrage at the time. I don't see why people started having problems with it now, same with Mence. Maybe they just got lazy and whiny because they basically bandwagoned with people who were lazy and whiny.

I said that when Latias was Uber Mence didn't have Outrage. So this is my entire argument for Mence being uber lol.

You see, while we had Latias in OU, however you may feel about it, it more or less kept Salamence in check. It forced Salamence (assuming 1 DD) to do 1 of 2 things:

1. Outrage
    2. Switch to counter

Latias is one of the few pokemon that can force Mence to do this. The other one that I can think of off the top of my head is Cresselia, who isn't exactly viable in OU. There are others im sure, but they aren't viable in OU obviously or we would be using them. Regardless, the point is that when we lost Latias to its rightful home in Ubers, we lost one of the best counters to Salamence. Its 130 base Sp.Def. made it resist Fire Blast really well, Flygon cannot as it tends to run Naive and takes a sizeable chunk of damage even from a resisted attack.

In effect losing Latias made Mence Uber. This isn't some grand scheme of smogon or some conpsiracy theory, thats just how the cookie crumbles. There ARE such things as 100% counters these days Lucario has them, Infernape has them, Suicune has them, Breloom has them even Scizor has them (a lot of them as a matter of fact). Point is that there is no way to kill Salamence other than revenge killing with a handful of Pokemon.

People didn't get lazy or whiny they got a counter taken from them. They have to adapt but there would have to be significant metagame changes taken place to counter Mence completely. Bringing Cress back to OU for the sole purpose of countering Mence, or having to back 2-3 steels on each team JUST so it can't rip through you is also a very centralizing force. As for the "if Mence goes Nite goes" argument. "No" comes to mind. Dragonite is an entire different kind of pokemon all together. It suffers from a slight case of moveslot syndrome and lower attacking stats. Base 80 Speed is an enormous difference from base 100. Thats like comparing Kadabra and Alakazam as special sweepers. Alakazam is clearly better, even though their Sp.Atk stat is only 15 apart and Kadabra is only a little slower. Dragonite has moveslot syndrome as well. It has to choose between: Fire Punch/Thunderpunch/Outrage/ExtremeSpeed/Earthquake/Dragon Claw (lol)/Dragon Dance and Roost. Salamence pretty much as to choose from: Dragon Dance/Fire Blast/Earthquake/Outrage/Draco Meteor. Not the same in the slightest.

So yes, Salamence can be revenge killed, and yes we all love its stall breaking ability and yes we realize we have had it for almost 18 months. But stuff has changed. The situation is different and drastic changes in the metagame have to be made to accomidate one pokemon. Its not from laziness, its not from people being butthurts, its because the situation is different. Mence lost a vital check and now its just too powerful.

EDIT: I also urge anyone who hasn't tried playing without Salamence to hop on the suspect ladder and try it. Its actually a fun metagame.

Last edited:

Skip Shot

I'm back. I think.
    Years

• As for the "if Mence goes Nite goes" argument. "No" comes to mind. Dragonite is an entire different kind of pokemon all together. It suffers from a slight case of moveslot syndrome and lower attacking stats. Base 80 Speed is an enormous difference from base 100. Thats like comparing Kadabra and Alakazam as special sweepers. Alakazam is clearly better, even though their Sp.Atk stat is only 15 apart and Kadabra is only a little slower. Dragonite has moveslot syndrome as well. It has to choose between: Fire Punch/Thunderpunch/Outrage/ExtremeSpeed/Earthquake/Dragon Claw (lol)/Dragon Dance and Roost. Salamence pretty much as to choose from: Dragon Dance/Fire Blast/Earthquake/Outrage/Draco Meteor. Not the same in the slightest.

I don't understand why Dragonite can't run Earthquake or Draco Meteor like Salamence could, albeit there being less power and speed. Dragonite doesn't neccesarily have to run Fire Punch or Thunderpunch, and there's always the possibility of Superpower as well.

Also @ Anti I wasn't attacking how the people voted, I was attacking how Smogon had clear enough evidence to keep Latias OU and yet they still ran more suspect tests on it. Just clarifying that.

StrickeN

The mighty force will Strike
    Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2010
    I personally find that most of the complaints about Mence being Uber to be quite frankly ridiculous. To me it seems like a bunch of people who can't stop said poke wanting it gone so they can sweep with anything from Bliss to Lucario.

This was one of the most annoying aspects to me when Chomp was voted for Uber. Half the metagame was talking about all his great sets but forgot he only has 1 item and 4 moves. This "oh he has roost, and flamethrower, and outrage, and EQ, and stone edge stuff is just wishwash to me. People need to remember he only can have 1 set in a game. There are checks and counters to mence just to scout what it has.

I personally have never run into a situation where Mence has over powered me to the point of sweeping my entire team. If I based ubers on what has sweeped me the most, Gyara would be the thing I'd throw to Uber before mence, because Gyara has swept me countless times. This wasn't due to him being broken, but simply poor playing or mispredicts or inproper counters / checks to him. Which is what most people run into with Mence. It's the same thing with the guy who got swept by lead Scizor, he obviously had NOTHING for one of the most used pokes in this Meta.

With SR and checks and counters and limitations to his moveset in mind, I'd say he should stay OU.

I'll also miss Latias quite a bit. I've never had a scenario in which I thought it was ridiculously OP. Hell we have Scizor and other things to stop it. I dont' understand it going Uber again. But oh well.

Air Pichu

We're Safe and Sound~
    Years
  • I didn't know Latias is nao Uber :(

Ehh, Salamence is a bit low on his defenses, so I think he shouldn't be Uber

Anti

return of the king
    Years
  • Intelligent posts/debate just aren't possible with this thread. I would say I'm surprised but I consider myself an honest person. My lord you guys act like the thread on Smogon is bad -_-

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back