• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen "Every Friday, you can hear Pokemon roars form deep inside the cave."

Sirfetch’d

I caught it a ton of times! Lapras was one of those very fun and useful Pokemon that would fit on any team and be amazing. It was so strong and despite being a pain to catch, was always worth the effort.

Years
  • Lapras is my favorite ice pokemon, and I almost always use one in my Gen 1 plays. I never bothered with it in Gen 2, but since I stopped doing my recent play (I Still have all my files and saves) I might go back and catch it, when Friday hits around :P

oshimas

소중한 이 내 맘 모두 나 그대에게
    Years
  • Definitely! Right when I got the ability to surf in Crystal I went after Lapras in the cave. I'm a big fan of Lapras myself and I always seem to have one of my team depending on the game and it's availability in game. (: It's a good all around water/ice pokemon, and it's a tank defensively.

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
  • Yeah, I went back and caught it, but never used it in my team. I had the official Nintendo G/S guide, which helpfully explained that you could return back and catch a Lapras. I loved those official guides.

shadowmoon522

Master of Darkness & Light
    Years
    • Age 33
    • PA
    • Seen yesterday
    blastoise_vs_lapras_by_anto_z-d67aghk.jpg

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Hunting for Lapras every Friday was part of my GSC memories, but I haven't used one actually.

Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2017
    I came across it completely by accident on one of my early playthroughs. I was exploring Union Cave's lower levels for the first time, and it just happened to be Friday. I decided to use it since it looked cool, and man did it kick all sorts of ass, especially in GSC when the Rock type still sucked. I've used it several times since then (though not so much in the remakes due to the better rock type moves).

Infinitum

╭━━╮╱╱╭━? ??╱╱╱╱╭╮╱? ?╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱ ╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱? ??╭?
    Years
  • I did capture Lapras, but I never used it. He didn't fit into my team because most of the time I used a Feraligatr (played SoulSilver several times).

jessluvstolaugh

Video game maniac
    Years
  • I remember wanting this precious baby so much but constantly forgetting to check the cave on Fridays. ;_; When I finally got my Lapras after tons of effort chucking Pokeballs I was so happy and even made an effort to swap an existing team member with it. Hard to train but very worth it. :)

I am the same way! Usually I forget about a daily event and remember it the day after the event took place. lol

Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2017
    I fail to see how it's hard to train. Once you get it, you can just slap Surf on it, and it nukes almost everything you're battling at that point in the game due to it's base stats being so much higher than the not fully evolved midgame pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Jan 26, 2016
    I had this Lapras in pretty much all of my G/S/C teams; it was indispensable. I'm pretty sure I didn't know about this though until I read the strategy guide. Have to say, I probably have 6+ of the different strategy guides for G/S/C...bit of a collectionist there and nostalgia is coming back thinking about it!

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2015
    I didn't know what he was talking about for about a week. Lord it took me a long time to advance back then. I believe after I had obtained my 6th badge I was battling a trainer and it just popped in my head. So I decided to go exploring. I was not by any means prepared for what lie at the end. I had an OP Typhlosion at the time and some low level hm slaves. Togepi, tentacool, pidgey, sandshrew and an onix. So I swapped immediately once the battle started. Put out tentacool. He went down one hit. swapped to onix. once again one hit ko. decided to put typhlosion back out and used flamewheel expecting it to not be very effective... Lapras fainted and I had to come back with a few trained pokemon and a couple of heavy balls.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • As a kid I hated cave systems in Pokemon even more than I do now, and I would go out of my way to avoid them whenever possible regardless of what may or may not be hidden within. So I didn't actually figure out that you could catch Lapras in there until a couple of years ago when I first started doing casual challenges and stuff just on my free time or whatever and decided that I needed a water type. Then I looked up all the available water types and what do you know there's a Lapras. And then I finally went and caught one for myself.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    I did know about the Lapras when I was still little and GSC was new, but I honestly forgot where I found out about it! I don't remember, however, the Pokémaniac referencing it. That is pretty cool. I did catch it just for the sake of catching it, but I've never used it in GSC. Maybe someday, though.

Raichulover123

The Mouse Pokèmon
    Years
  • Yes, you read it right :3

I am talking about the Pokemaniac you can find inside Union Cave, nearly at the end when you get to Azalea Town. When you defeat this guy, he tells you about roars that can be heard every friday from deep within Union Cave. You can't actually hear the noises, but it's true that every Friday, a Pokemon will appear far inside this cave.

Since I was a kid and my first game was Pokemon Gold, I was always intrigued by what this guy was referring to. What kind of Pokemon is he talking about? How and when will I get there? I never understood this for a long time and decided to let this thing kinda go by and never returned or paid any attention to it.

After I got older and more experienced though, I actually learned that you could catch a wild Lapras in Union Cave every single Friday. So that must have been the Pokemon that Pokemaniac is referring to. So, I was playing Pokemon Crystal at the time, and as soon as I got the 4th badge from Morty (you need Surf) I went back into Union Cave to catch the Lapras. :3
    It's actually one of my favourite Water-Pokemon and I always picked Cyndaquil so it was a great addition to my team.

So, have you guys even bothered to return to Union Cave and find out what this guy was meaning? Did you ever catch Lapras and/or used it in your team? And how (soon) did you find out about this?

Please let me know, discuss! :)

Nope. :P

Back