• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Four Stage Evolutionary Line?

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
  • Evolutionary lines, not counting Mega Evolutions, have never had more than three stages. But what if, in a future generation, this standard was broken and four-stage evolutionary lines were introduced? What are your thoughts on such a possibility? If such a thing were introduced, are there any (currently) fully evolved Pokemon in particular that you would like to see get an additional evolution?

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
  • I'd wonder what took them so long. Especially since the concept as partially introduced with Mega Evolution...

Years
  • I think that would be like tearing apart my childhood. Just kidding, but somehow this has just been a standard since the very beginning, I find it would be hard to break from it. The fandom would probably riot, or at least be upset. I think mega evolution is already their move on the matter, doing it but not really saying it. With mega evolution already there, I think we're not close to hear about fourth stages.

Guest123_x1

Years ago, when I was relatively new to Pokémon, and Generation II had yet to hit the States, I imagined that there would be four-stage evolutionary lines at some point in the future. All that time has come and gone, and of course, the maximum is still three.
    Looking further into many of the specifics of final-form third-stage Pokémon, to be realistic, a fourth stage for most lineups would be uber-powerful.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • bug types imo

I definitely agree with this. If any Pokes should get a fourth stage of evolution, it should be the bug types who reach their final stage at level 10 haha. While they're a nice way to experience evolution early on in the game, it feels like they're a bit short-changed in that they don't get any stronger from there :c I think an extra evolution on Beedrill or Dustox would be awesome!

How likely that is to happen is another story altogether...

LilBueno

Boy Wonder
    Years
  • I'd really be annoyed with this partially because it seems the level requirements have gotten somewhat higher in recent years as far as third stages are concerned. Like, if a second-stage Pokemon evolves into its third-stage at level 45 or do, then that means it's forth stage should be roughly around lv 60 or so. While we certainly aren't strangers to Pokemon evolving in the later levels (Tyranitar, Hydreigon, Dragonite are good examples and even Salamence, I think?), it would be further emphasized if four-stage evolutions were to be introduced, at least if it's being introduced in the fashion of good ol' evolve-by-level requirement.
    I kind of like the idea of having a Pokemon reach its final form at a late level like that. It'd make the evolution feel that much more dramatic. However, I think it should be at a level that the Pokemon can realistically reach during a story playthrough, preferably before the Elite 4? So...level 60 or 70. Can't imagine the Dragon-type levels, though.

I'd laugh if Gamefreak created a Pokemon that evolves at level 100 (and then someone accidentally presses B during evolution).

Infinitum

╭━━╮╱╱╭━? ??╱╱╱╱╭╮╱? ?╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱ ╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱? ??╭?
    Years
  • A good solution for Bug-types, indeed. But considering the existence of Mega-evolutions, I don't think 4-line evolutions would be relevant. Changes to the game basics wouldn't be appreciated by everyone.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    I like the current formula/system. I don't see a need on changing them, not to mention evolution doesn't necessarily make a Pokemon stronger; there are even occasions where the pre-evo formed is preferred over the evolution form.

Return

You can make to the sunrise....
    Years
  • It will not work, the basic formula is already at the best level, if a four-stage evolutionary line is introduced, then it really demolish the concept of Unevolved Pokémon(as they are forced to evolve into fourth stage), not to mention that Mega Evolutions has already taken the role of Four stage evolutionary line(at some point).
    Hmm.....also does that mean that fourth Evolutionary lines would also make legendary evolve? It will.... mess up everything.

Years
  • I'm with most comments here, it would just not work especially because we have Megas acting like a fourth evolution stage that only works in battle. Trust me, it would just be so weird to see changes to the evolution lines now.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I'm with most comments here, it would just not work especially because we have Megas acting like a fourth evolution stage that only works in battle. Trust me, it would just be so weird to see changes to the evolution lines now.

Do we feel it'd be of any help to have fourth-stage Pokémon be exempted from having any mega? Personally, I'd imagine their final evolution to act similarly to a mega-form, but in more of a permanent fashion, which would kind of take away their reason of having a mega-evolution.

Frozen Lotus

Shay's Ice Prince
    Years
  • Megas fix any need this may have ever had. I use to think the idea was interesting, but Megas are just the same concept done much more effectively and appropriately. There would be far too many imbalancing issues with a four stage line, and it's... just not necessary.

Years
  • Let's stay with Mega Evos as final evolutions. Although some Pokemon could be good with stage 4, there are Pokemon that even with final evolutions (stage 3 of course) still kinda lack potential.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2017
    If anything I would love to see a 4th evolution handled in way that only occurs with specific dates. Like maybe during New Years only a specific type could evolve. It would make more challenging , which in turn would be more rewarding. I would love to see it done in the next gen too.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • If anything I would love to see a 4th evolution handled in way that only occurs with specific dates. Like maybe during New Years only a specific type could evolve. It would make more challenging , which in turn would be more rewarding. I would love to see it done in the next gen too.

That's actually a really interesting though. So it'd essentially be like an event form. I think that'd be really cool! And it wouldn't be as redundant alongside Mega Evolutions.

I'm so lousy with getting event Pokemon though, I'd probably miss out on most of these as well haha.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2017
    Haha yeah so am I. I'd like to see special events take a bigger role in the games so i thought of that. Plus this way I think maybe it would give a game a much longer play time.

kingdenas

#Team Popplio <3
    Years
  • I think that is not a good idea. The formula has been the same for years, I don't think Game Freak would break that! We already have Mega Evolutions, let's say that's the final stage then!

But if I needed to pick some Pokémon to evolve even more, they would be the bug-types! Most of them are very weak, why don't we make them more stronger!

Back