• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rare 1st edition misprint ? Help

Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2015
    Hey guys i found this card looking through my old pokemon stuff. Its a 1st edition pidgeot holo, with 24/64 on the bottom as opposed to 8/64. The only pidgeots that have 24/64 are the non-holos that ive seen , i have never seen this combination which leads me to believe its a misprint. I have checked ebay and various sites and havent seen anything like this. Any thoughts ? I cant post links yet so ill post it with spaces. Thanks

htt p:// i.imgur.c o m/zs0fbDn.jpg

Years
  • To be honest i'm not 100% sure...

I know the hole pidgeot has a misprint in the set (jungle symbol is missing.), I can't find anything like yours.
    However the holo image looks a bit off... it doesn't look like the other holo in the set (lack of colours) there is a possibility that it is a fake.
    May I ask how you got the card in you possession?

I wish i could help a little more.

Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2015
    Thanks for the response , yes ive seen the jungle misprint but never this which is why its really weird. It's definitely not fake , got it from one of the packs back in the days when i was a kid. I found an old book with hundreds of cards and this was one of them. I could take better pictures if needed , Im just curious to find out what the deal is with this card.

Years
  • I'm inclined to say it's a fake because of the number as well as the fact that the holo pattern has no color to it (or at least appears that way), and color is something that's supposed to be there in the Pidgeot holo cards.

Years
  • Thanks for the response , yes ive seen the jungle misprint but never this which is why its really weird. It's definitely not fake , got it from one of the packs back in the days when i was a kid. I found an old book with hundreds of cards and this was one of them. I could take better pictures if needed , Im just curious to find out what the deal is with this card.

If you are willing to make two more pictures (the back of the card & a close up on the pidgeot it self) that would be lovely ^-^
    Do you remember and maybe still have another card you pulled from the pack?

Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2015
    Sure I took 2 more pictures with flash it shows alot more detail. The pidgeot holo does have color, the first pic just came out weird. It was so long ago I don't really remember, I think I have other cards from the jungle packs I could look for ? If that helps.
    Here's the front and back w/ flash:

htt p://i.imgur.c o m/3XgchpT.jpg
    htt p://i.imgur.c o m/LP4bLuB.jpg

Years
  • Sure I took 2 more pictures with flash it shows alot more detail. The pidgeot holo does have color, the first pic just came out weird. It was so long ago I don't really remember, I think I have other cards from the jungle packs I could look for ? If that helps.
    Here's the front and back w/ flash:

htt p://i.imgur.c o m/3XgchpT.jpg
    htt p://i.imgur.c o m/LP4bLuB.jpg

Based on the back, I'm inclined to call it a fake. Look to the top right of the Poke Ball in the center, then look at the picture of the two backs (left is real, right is fake). Notice the lack of details on yours compared to the one on the left in the picture?

Plus, that holo pattern looks like a cheap imitation of the pattern on the actual card (image from a Bulbapedia scan):

Sorry, but all the signs I see, plus the fact that there has somehow been no mention in 15 years about a "misprint" with the wrong collector's number for Pidgeot, a "misprint" that would have happened during peak Pokemon hype, lead me to think this is a fake.

Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2015
    I don't really see a difference in the back, are you talking about the shadow thats more prominent on the left one ? The holo looks exactly like the picture you posted, I scanned it take a look:

htt p://i.imgur. c o m/TAxenLW.jpg

Years
  • I have to agree with donavannj this is what I found out which can mean it's a fake...

- Lack of colours in the back-groud
    - border around the card can look uneven because of cutting but the borders of the images are always even.
    the red stripe are a duplicate of each-other and as you can see they don't match up.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I don't really see a difference in the back, are you talking about the shadow thats more prominent on the left one ? The holo looks exactly like the picture you posted, I scanned it take a look:

htt p://i.imgur. c o m/TAxenLW.jpg

Compare the circled areas in this picture of your card to the corresponding areas on the scan of the legit card above. There's a lack of detail on yours compared to the legit card. It looks like the fake in these areas. Well, that and the shadow, too.

As for the scan, I'm not 100% convinced it's the same pattern as the actual card...

Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2015
    Thanks for the in-depth look from both u guys, yea it definitely doesnt look right. Such a bummer that its fake tho. Must have gotten it when I traded as a little kid, sucks.

Back