• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Question: Gif as an avatar?

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
Years
  • How do I go about doing this? Every time I try to do it, I can never see it moving. So, I have reason to believe it doesn't actually work. Yet, I see other people who have done it many times, and they seem to work fine for them. :c Am I doing something wrong? Is it maybe the KB or something of it?

I want to use this as my avatar, and I tried it once... but it refused to do anything. D:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    It's gotta be within your size limit for it to properly animate. If you upload an avatar larger than the dimensions it'll shrink it to within your limits on the postbit and for whatever reason that makes a gif not animate. The gif you linked is larger than the size you're allowed (180x180). Shrink it down to that and it should animate properly in your postbit.

Years
  • It's gotta be within your size limit for it to properly animate. If you upload an avatar larger than the dimensions it'll shrink it to within your limits on the postbit and for whatever reason that makes a gif not animate. The gif you linked is larger than the size you're allowed (180x180). Shrink it down to that and it should animate properly in your postbit.
    Those are the old avatar sizes though. The actual avatar sizes are actually much larger than that now, but they shrink down to 180x180 in the postbit.

The image that the OP linked to is 2 MB, and I'm pretty sure the max file size is just 1 MB, which is why it won't animate.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    It's gotta be within your size limit for it to properly animate. If you upload an avatar larger than the dimensions it'll shrink it to within your limits on the postbit and for whatever reason that makes a gif not animate. The gif you linked is larger than the size you're allowed (180x180). Shrink it down to that and it should animate properly in your postbit.

Those are the old avatar sizes though. The actual avatar sizes are actually much larger than that now, but they shrink down to 180x180 in the postbit.

The image that the OP linked to is 2 MB, and I'm pretty sure the max file size is just 1 MB, which is why it won't animate.

Guys, correct me if I'm wrong. A GIF avatar needs to be uploaded from an image hosting site like imgur, right? I believe it's impossible to upload a 'moving' GIF regardless the size, no?

Years
  • Guys, correct me if I'm wrong. A GIF avatar needs to be uploaded from an image hosting site like imgur, right? I believe it's impossible to upload a 'moving' GIF regardless the size, no?
    Even if you uploaded an avatar from external site (like imgur), it would still be hosted on the server, which wouldn't make a difference if you uploaded from your computer versus uploading from a URL.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Even if you uploaded an avatar from external site (like imgur), it would still be hosted on the server, which wouldn't make a difference if you uploaded from your computer versus uploading from a URL.

Thanks for clearing that part. That's great! As long as the image has the correct size then it's usable. :)

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday

Well I'll be damned, it does still animate even after the forced resize. Never used to be that way.

And yeah, you're right, the max filesize is 1 MB (and I had no idea the gif she linked was more than 1 MB), though that should just prevent you from having it at all and not just being there but inanimate.

Back