• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Getting back into the competitive world

Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2010
    Just made a team from scratch, looking for some pointers.

Breloom @ Choice Scarf
    Poison Heal
    Jolly, 252 Spd, 252 Att, 4 HP
    -Spore
    -Superpower
    -Seed Bomb
    -Thunder Punch

This guy outspeeds a fair amount of Pokemon to lead the game with a Spore. Smergal is an option, but I figured it would be way too predictable. I've caught everyone I've played on Shoddy tonight off guard with this fella.

Electivire @ Life Orb
    Motor Drive
    Mild, 76 Att, 180 Spd, 252 Sp Att
    -Cross Chop
    -Flamethrower
    -Thunderbolt
    -HP Ice

Basic mixed sweeper. I mainly use him to predict Electricity coming at..

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
    Water Absorb
    Modest, 252 Sp Attack, 252 HP, 4 Sp Def
    -Surf
    -HP Electric
    -Haze
    -Yawn

Fairly normal vap, except Haze/Yawn may be a little less common. This set really screws with Suicune though, which has potiential to screw with the rest of my team after a couple CMs.

Machamp @ Choice Band
    No Guard
    Adamant, 252 HP, 252 Att, 4 Def
    -Dynamicpunch
    -Earthquake
    -Stone Edge
    -Bullet Punch

Brute force. I usually switch to him after a sleep and let em have it. Dynamicpunch has proven it's worth countless times. Ghost switches are annoying, but they can be dealt with.

Donphan @ Leftovers
    Sturdy
    Adamant 252 Att, 252 Def, 4 HP
    -Earthquake
    -Ice Shard
    -Thunder Fang
    -Stealth Rock

I've been liking the Adamant set, aside from getting fairly hard by CB Scizor... Ice Shards WRECK **** and predicting Gyarados switches and Thunder Fanging them has been rewarding. Might switch to Impish for Scizor though!

The last spot is a toss up right now between:

Honchkrow @ Leftovers
    Insomnia
    Adamant, 252 Att, 252 HP
    -Pursuit
    -Drill Peck
    -Roost
    -Thunder Wave

Couple reasons I like this guy. Insomnia switch ins on Hypnosis/Yawn/Spore/Sleep Powder are sexy. Psychic/Ground switch ins are sexy too. And he really tears Celebii a new one. But that would leave my team hella Ice weak and hella Scizor weak, so I am leaning towards...

Magnezone @ Leftovers
    Magnet Pull
    Modest, 252 Sp Att, 252 HP, 4 Def
    -Thunderbolt
    -Hidden Power Ice
    -Magnet Rise
    -Thunder Wave

Counters most Ice and Scizor. Has the side benefit of being another bulky poke with great resistances for pinch switches.

I'll leave you all to the nit picking.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Just made a team from scratch, looking for some pointers.

Breloom @ Choice Scarf
    Poison Heal
    Jolly, 252 Spd, 252 Att, 4 HP
    -Spore
    -Superpower
    -Seed Bomb
    -Stone Edge

Stone Edge >> T-Punch. SE already OHKO'S Gyarados and Seed Bomb covers other waters. Stone Edge also hits other fliers (i.e Mence).

Electivire @ Life Orb
    Motor Drive
    Mild, 76 Att, 180 Spd, 252 Sp Att
    -Cross Chop
    -Flamethrower
    -Thunderbolt
    -HP Ice

Ok.

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
    Water Absorb
    Bold, 252 Defense, 252 HP, 4 Sp Def
    -Surf
    -HP Electric
    -Wish
    -Protect.

It needs Wish to heal. Also Suicune is not a threat to your team with E-Vire and Breloom. period. Needs max def for Mixape and Gyarados.

Machamp @ Choice Band
    Guts
    Adamant, 252 HP, 252 Att, 4 Def
    -Close Combat
    -Payback
    -Stone Edge
    -Bullet Punch

Ok. Guts >> No Guard on CB Machamp as the idea is to switch into status and KILL what ever switches in, activating Guts makes resistances moot which means you'll have to predict less to hurt things. Payback >> Earthquake to hit Psychic types and also Ghost types it'll also have 100 base power because Machamp is so slow.

Donphan @ Leftovers
    Sturdy
    Adamant 68 HP/188 Atk/208 Def/44 Spd
    -Earthquake
    -Ice Shard / Assurance
    -Rapid Spin
    -Stealth Rock

The only reason to use this is in OU Rapid Spin so you might aswell. Assurance is to nail spin blockers, namely the Rotoms, Dusknoir and Gengar 2HKOing the former two at worst and OHKOing the latter. Also use my ev spread 68 HP / 208 Def maximizes its defensive potential, 44 speed out speeds Blissey and Swampert and 188 Att 2hko's the Rotoms at worst.

Honchkrow @ Life Orb
    Insomnia
    Adamant, 252 Att / 252 Speed / 6 HP
    -SuperPower
    -Brave Bird
    -Roost / Pursuit
    -Sucker Punch

Ok this is the best Krow set using it for support is just no lol. This needs SuperPower or steels poop all over you. Also use Brave Bird >>> Drill Peck because its deadly with Roost. 3rd slot is up to you, Roost to heal LO recoil or hit stuff switching out with Pursuit. Last slot is 100% needed to nab frail sweepers.

Magnezone @ Leftovers
    Magnet Pull
    Timid, 252 Sp Att, 216 Speed 42 HP
    -Thunderbolt
    -Hidden Power Ice
    -Magnet Rise
    -Substitute

Sub is better. That and ev it so you actually outspeed Adamant Scizor lol.

Comments in bold.

Ok. Firstly, Latias walls and destroys your entire team. Id probably have a look at CB Scizor >> Breloom who actually really doesn't do much for you. This also lets you keep Salamence in check.

Foe Scizor also hurts your team badly. Magnezone as the sole answer is really bad. Not only does T-Bolt NOT OHKO but CB U-Turn 2HKO's it with Stealth Rock up.

Fighting types OHKO your entire team (im looking at you SD Lucario), you have no fighting resist

Donphan and Vire also look like dead weight since they really don't do much for you. So id look to replace those with something that helps that ridiculous fighting/Scizor/Latias weakness.

Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2010
    Interesting

-Is the coverage of Stone Edge worth the risk of missing a Stone Edge on DD Sweepers? I am not sure. With Thunderpunch, I can usually guarentee a Gyara kill if I predict him coming in, even after Intimidate.

-I'm not sure how I'd fight Suicune without Haze on Vap, especially with my Electric attackers being special based.

-Dynamicpunch No Guard has been working out pretty well, even for resist switches since you get the bonus of confusion. I will most likely switch EQ though!

-Assurance is tempting, because Rotoms have indeed been troubling. But Dragons and Flyers are really torn by Ice Shard... I'll have to try em both out some.

-That Honchkrow set seems kind of rough. Even with Spd EVs, he's going to be slow as hell. That was my thoughts behind picking up T-Wave. I'll try it out and see what happens though.

-Sub is most likely better indeed, I've been getting screwed alot in switches.

-You hit the nail on the head with Latias, going to have to switch something to deal with that.

-Fighting has been a problem, I've won about 75% of my matches tonight, but I had a loss from Lucario because Extremespeed after SD hurts Breloom too hard.

I'm thinking I'll probably switch out Electivire with perhaps Cressilia, don't know yet.

Thanks for the tips though.

Back