• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you consider using the speed button cheating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2018
    cheating
    Verb:
    Act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage, esp. in a game or examination: "she cheats at cards".
    Deceive or trick.

Going by that definition, I think it's safe to say that using that is not cheating, as you're not really gaining an advantage - you're doing the exact same thing, just quicker. That's my opinion, anyway.

If I were to edit my save file to give myself many Rare Candies, would you consider that cheating?

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • It's not cheating. If you're old enough, you might remember that, in the Pokémon Stadium games, Nintendo themselves added a speed up button in the GB Tower (which allowed you to play the GB Pokémon on a TV). Granted, it was only available once you beat certain parts of the game, but it was there.

When I learned of emulators and the speed up button, I was really happy. Grinding and finding rare items was much easier. I used it all the time on VBA.

Nowadays I use it for everything except important trainer battles, like the rival or Gym Leaders, for immersion purposes.

Then again, I also use PokéGen to evolve Pokémon that only evolve by trading. Do you think this is cheating? :)

Years
    • Seen Oct 25, 2012
    Then again, I also use PokéGen to evolve Pokémon that only evolve by trading. Do you think this is cheating? :)

I do that as well. It's tedious to trade using emulators. I don't consider it cheating quite frankly.

I don't use the speed button, but I do turn off the sound which speeds the game significantly. It's the same concept, but I only do it because it's too slow on normal settings. I don't have the patience. I also don't consider this as cheating. The only thing that might remotely come off as cheating is when you need to quickly level up your Pokemon by putting it in the daycare center. I did that once. You just run around for a few minutes and the Pokemon is instantly level up by 4 or 5. This is for VBA for the record.

o Pikachu o

Pikachu
    Years
  • I don't think it's cheating. It takes way too much time to grind against wild Pokemons at normal speed.

DoesntKnowHowToPlay

Tiny Umbrella with Lots and Lots of Good
    Years
    • Seen Feb 24, 2024
    Strictly speaking it's not cheating as it doesn't impact the gameplay, but using it in the field to powerlevel greatly trivializes most difficulty in the same manner as adding an NPC that gives a giant stack of Rare Candies. (Actually it's worse as the Rare Candy method doesn't give EVs).

That said- many hacks seem to be built around it, and provided it isn't used excessively I don't object to it as grinding is not fun. I also make liberal use of it for backtracking.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    Not really, it's just like when a game such as Golden Sun 2, has a button which allows you to just speed through text using the ''B'' button.

Also, this shouldn't really be considered cheating because;
    1. To the game it's being played at normal speed.
    2. It doesn't really help the player, only to get somewhere faster, not to train easier, or skip training all together.
    3. Alot of emulators don't have the speed up feature in all fairness.

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
    Years
  • I don't consider it cheating in the slightest - If there was a 'walk through walls' button then that would be a completely different story. It doesn't change anything about the gameplay other than our perception of it, so its hard to qualify it as a cheat. That being said, there are a number of negatives that come with using this feature: its ruins the music, it can be hard to navigate the over-world and important dialogue can be missed if you're not careful. I still find it to be more of a help than a hindrance when it comes to what would otherwise be a long grinding session so it gets my vote of approval.

Anyway, this thread was bumped so on goes Mr Lock :3

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back