• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

You have 20 updates pending

Nathan

Blade of Justice
Years
  • Video games updates have become quite common nowadays, whether it be to add some content or fix up some bugs. Some are mandatory (GTA, PS Store, etc...) while some aren't.
    Now how do you approach updates? Do you tend to update as soon as it's available or do you let them pile up until you can bother with them? Feel free to discuss!

Yukari

Not considering the fact that Steam automatically updates games I just update them as soon as I can since there is really no reason not to.

pkmin3033

I dislike updates. What happened to the days when you could just put a game in and play it? It's always nice when video game developers take the time to update their games with patches to fix glitches and the like, but in my opinion that should have been done BEFORE they released the final product. When I turn on my video game console, I want to be able to play the game immediately, not have to wait for anywhere between ten minutes and an hour for an update to install.

That said, I do like the PS4's way of doing things - that is, in the background, allowing me to play a game whilst it does its thing. But for earlier generations, updates are a nuisance.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • I dislike updates. What happened to the days when you could just put a game in and play it? It's always nice when video game developers take the time to update their games with patches to fix glitches and the like, but in my opinion that should have been done BEFORE they released the final product. When I turn on my video game console, I want to be able to play the game immediately, not have to wait for anywhere between ten minutes and an hour for an update to install.

That said, I do like the PS4's way of doing things - that is, in the background, allowing me to play a game whilst it does its thing. But for earlier generations, updates are a nuisance.

Xbox One has the same dual function of playing games while updates are being made. It's a cool feature that the current generation of consoles implemented.

I don't see why you dislike updates. Updates are god sends when it comes to video gaming. For the most part, unless the game is just incredibly broken like Assassin's Creed Unity or that racing game on the PlayStation 4 (I don't remember what it's called on the top of my head, but it came out a few months ago) then I believe it's perfectky okay for develops to patch things. Id developers looked over every single detail for a game - which in a perfect world they should - the game would get delayed way past it's allotted time of development.

Plus, without an update feature, Destiny would be s hollow shell of what it is now. And considering I've plugged 200+ hours into that game, that would make me a sad person.

Nathan

Blade of Justice
    Years
  • Xbox One has the same dual function of playing games while updates are being made. It's a cool feature that the current generation of consoles implemented.

I don't see why you dislike updates. Updates are god sends when it comes to video gaming. For the most part, unless the game is just incredibly broken like Assassin's Creed Unity or that racing game on the PlayStation 4 (I don't remember what it's called on the top of my head, but it came out a few months ago) then I believe it's perfectky okay for develops to patch things. Id developers looked over every single detail for a game - which in a perfect world they should - the game would get delayed way past it's allotted time of development.

Plus, without an update feature, Destiny would be s hollow shell of what it is now. And considering I've plugged 200+ hours into that game, that would make me a sad person.

Well there are some updates that tend to really go over the top. For example, I can think of Borderlands : Handsome Collection's 16GB day one patch that adds content developers forgot didn't have time to add and fixes some inconvenient bugs -so I heard-
    For people with slow connections, that must be hell so I could understand some people hating on updates.

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
  • Well there are some updates that tend to really go over the top. For example, I can think of Borderlands : Handsome Collection's 16GB day one patch that adds content developers forgot didn't have time to add and fixes some inconvenient bugs -so I heard-
    For people with slow connections, that must be hell so I could understand some people hating on updates.

True, but you could also be like the developers of Sonic Boom and not do anything about your broken game. So it goes both ways. I'm just a patient guy in terms of updates so I've never had a real issue with them.

pkmin3033

Yeah, I suppose a lack of patience is a part of my problem, but sometimes I really think that developers just don't put enough time and effort into ensuring that their game is actually ready to go out on the market.

I don't have any problem with updates that improve the gameplay by adding additional features and whatnot; that's a bonus and I'm quite happy to wait for it. What I have issues with is the ones that fix glitches which should have been fixed before the game was released in the first place. Things like "stability updates" which make no noticeable difference to the stability of the game, or fix the loading times, or anything else. Sometimes you can't get everything, this is true. But there are plenty of examples of games with obnoxious, easy to spot glitches. I resent being made to wait for an update like that, because that sort of thing should have been fixed at the development stage.

Size is another issue as well, because even if I'm willing to put aside the connection issues - which I am, that's because my internet is crap - harddrive space is not unlimited. 500GB might sound like a lot but it really isn't when games can take up 60GB+ of space...even when they're not digital copies. Adding update and patch data on top of that? It adds up. More space on game data means less space for more games.

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    Not considering the fact that Steam automatically updates games I just update them as soon as I can since there is really no reason not to.

Same here. Even with my consoles, I update everything as soon as it's available.

I can't really see why anyone could dislike them, nor why anyone would think all bugs would get caught in development. Devs aren't perfect, they make mistakes, too -- at least they're taking the time to fix it for us. And sometimes updates give us things we wouldn't have had otherwise, like patching in split-screen co-op. :pink_tongue:

I can see where a slow 'net connection might be a problem with updates over 10 GB (as a 16GB patch was mentioned above), but those are rather rare, at best. Even on my old crap connection (DSL, 10 Mb) updates were never a problem.
    Actually, I think the most problematic ones have been the first times I've put in new Wii U games, and Hyrule Warriors took the longest at about 10 minutes. I know, 10 whole minutes! So Boyfriend and I just went downstairs and acquired snacks for the game while we waited. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • or that racing game on the PlayStation 4 (I don't remember what it's called on the top of my head, but it came out a few months ago)
    DRIVECLUB?
    Funny you speak of it, it just got 7GB update.

I'm on the same page with Meloetta here, I despise those updates that are required to continue playing.
    Fortunately, Japanese games are not that frequent with updates and I don't play enough AAA titles to have 20 updates waiting for me =D

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
  • DRIVECLUB?
    Funny you speak of it, it just got 7GB update.

I'm on the same page with Meloetta here, I despise those updates that are required to continue playing.
    Fortunately, Japanese games are not that frequent with updates and I don't play enough AAA titles to have 20 updates waiting for me =D

Yeah, that dumb game. They went on record saying that game might be unsalvageable right?

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • I dont mind games updating! I've quit console gaming so I don't deal with the "U CANT PLAY THIS" stuff as much, but my Steam games update automatically so I often won't have to worry about the updates happening. :D

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
    Years
  • Ordinarily, updates don't bother me. But we got a craptastic, unstable connection here, so sometimes what should only take one shot I have to do it several times to get an update to complete. Busted out my Wii yesterday for the first time in years an well, trying to get that up to date was, in a word, h e l l.

That's why I'm getting a bit scared about this gen. Patch sizes are increasing in size whereas hdds are still more or less the standard 500GB for consoles. Yikes. Better start saving up...

TY

Dont mind them, as long as the fixes/new things they make are worth the time waiting, but if its a daily update every single day it gets annoyig at some time (lookin at you PAYDAY 2, lookin at you >_>)

Back