• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why Has Pokemon 3 Spell Of The Unown A 22% On Rotten Tomatoes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Oct 12, 2014
    I mean yeah the Japanese version is better, better music, better voice acting, etc. But the American one still has a great story and the music and voice acting isn't bad (Although I do wish they kept the original score). The film plays out like a Disney film and can be creepy at times. But it also boasts some really great dialogue and Princess Mononoke style animation. You can feel that Ash, Misty, and Brock are a team in this one and they use there Pokemon in really creative ways. Yeah there are some 4th wall jokes and sometimes the music is a little bit dry and sometimes really annoying (end credits) compared to the classic music of the Japanese. But I still think it deserves a better rating then that.

Also the Japanese version and the American version should have different pages. The American should be around a 50% and the Japanese around an 80%.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I am not sure how Rotten Tomatoe. And if I am not mistaken, isn't Rotten Tomatoe a % of how bad it was? 50% and 80% would make it worst would it not?

Anyways, the 3rd movie was probably my least favorite out of all the movies. I never really liked it much.

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
    Years
  • 22% refers to the amount of critics who enjoyed the movie. 22% of the critics who watched the movie are favorable towards the movie. 51% of all viewers enjoyed Spell of the Unown. Most of the reviews' bad points are that the story wasn't great and that it's boring for adults. I think many of the reviewers are impartial to the Pokémon media, though, and view it as any other movie.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/mobile/m/pokemon_the_movie_3/

^the link will take you to the mobile site but maybe it will redirect those who aren't using mobile devices to the full site. That page lists the reviews for the movie.

Years
    • Seen Oct 12, 2014
    No the higher the percentage the better the movie.

I thought the story was pretty good, its just all adults seem to hate Pokemon with passion. If say it was the same story just like without Pokemon and something else in its place it would have those ratings.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    The soundtrack for the English dub of Spell of the Unown is amazing, whachootalkinbout.

Regardless, I don't really take critic's reviews into consideration when it comes to more niche movies like this. The audience has a 51% rating, which seems appropriate.

The first Pokémon movie, for instance, has an even more dramatic difference in rating. 14% approval by critics, and 62% by the general audience. You'll find all movies that are based on video games have a drastic difference in critic and general audience rating. It's just how it is.

Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2014
    The soundtrack for the English dub of Spell of the Unown is amazing, whachootalkinbout.

It was borderline okay, not really that 'amazing'. Then again, this is a subject of mere opinion. I thought that the Japanese ending theme for the Jirachi movie was the best Pokemon movie soundtrack as of then.

The third movie had quite a strong plot (much more than others anyway, aside from Jirachi), and Me (Molly in the dub) was a nice antagonist in the original Japanese version. Of course, the Americans couldn't comprehend the Japanese's values and tried to alter a number of things in the script, specifically the dialogue, because "ambiguous is too hard to understand and audiences are stupid" is America's motto. Seriously...?

Anyway, I quite enjoyed the movie. It was the last movie that I really enjoyed up till Dialga vs. Palkia vs. Darkrai, because all Pokemon movies after which sucked (except Jirachi, which was a heartwarming moment for Masato/Max). I haven't watched any other movies after that yet, so who knows?

Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2016
    Actually, if you look through rotten tomatoes, you'll see that Spell of the Unown was given a higher rating than all of the other pokemon movies of that time(First, 2000, and 4ever).

It isn't that big of a deal anyway if you enjoy it. Rotten Tomatoes takes reviews from people whose jobs are to be over critical of movies.

Charizard :P

A Wild Charizard
    Years
  • The critics over at Rotten Tomatoes are a bit critical, and they're not too fond of these kind of movies... :\

Years
    • Seen Oct 12, 2014
    The English dub was okay, and they did the least amount of butchery with this one then the rest. The only thing that really bothers me is the music, other then that I think 4Kids did it decently.

Regardless, I don't really take critic's reviews into consideration when it comes to more niche movies like this. The audience has a 51% rating, which seems appropriate.

The first Pokémon movie, for instance, has an even more dramatic difference in rating. 14% approval by critics, and 62% by the general audience. You'll find all movies that are based on video games have a drastic difference in critic and general audience rating. It's just how it is.

Its good but the Japanese is better in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back