• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Grr, why is this canvas still blank?!"

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
Years
  • Similar to the commonly known 'Writer's Block' artists can get Artist's Block, a condition currently affecting myself where I have no damned clue what on Earth I should try and make.

Like seriously, its getting ridiculous. Every time I sit down to do something I go blank, with no ideas or inspiration.

My question is , do you get this too? And if so, how do you deal with it? Are there any tipps you have to fellow artists like myself to get through this faze?

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    Artist and Writer's block are things I don't get affected by really. I don't make things because I have to, I make things when I get inspired. It's the good part of not having a job in art, I can just work when I feel inspired. For writing I usually plan ahead, but for art that's less easy to do of course, because there is no chronology about it. But, I still only create when I feel inspired.

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
    Years
  • i feel like im on an artistic's block currently. i feel like ive had no time to think what i want to make and everytime i do have time, i struggle lol. i usually just try to find inspiration or think of stuff that i currently like to make artwork around it.

Years
  • > Keep an inspiration folder. This isn't just "oh it's so pretty!"
    Sometimes it's just "I like crystals. lets just gather a bunch of pictures of crystals."

What you do when you can't think of something to draw, you just look through them and see the things you like, and you'll usually come up with a project.

uXs4eIB.jpg

9qQpWhj.png

> Write down ideas of what you want to do WHENEVER it happens. You'll forget the grand idea you had last night. Trust me. So when you sit down, you have a list of ideas to try. Not things to do, things you want to explore. Shouldn't be a chore.

xd9F15a.png

> Keep a reference tag/folder on your blog or whatnot.
    Looking through this you might find tutorials of a technique you wanted to try, a dress you wanted to draw, etc.

5c6wz4C.png

The hardest part is getting into the habit of this, but one you start a collection it's really good to have. You want to just have a mound of stuff you can just spend an hour and look through, and you'll get an idea.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    When I get artist's block, I turn to the artists and the works that inspire me most. I try to connect with my emotions, observe how I'm feeling in the moment, (even if it's frustrated and annoyed over the block), and look for things that relate to that emotion. If I empathize with the art I see, I can interpret and channel that into my own work.

Another thing I do is stream of consciousness drawing. I sit down and draw the first thing that comes to my mind and don't stop for five minutes, regardless of what that thing(s) is. It helps bring me clarity and reconnect my brain to my hand, and therefore the canvas.

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • I got the hugest chunk of artist block back at the end of 2011 before I decided to quit GFX. Because I had Photoshop Elements, I couldn't do anything to push myself forward and improve and I grew too frustrated.
    The best thing for me to get rid of it is always to work on something new within another medium. For example, if i'm frustrated with graphics, taking out my tablet and pen and doing digital art instead or if I'm annoyed at what I'm modelling, I can go out for the day and take out my camera.
    Then later, I can come back to try and do what I was originally doing, and my artist block won't be hitting me so far.

Also looking at things like deviantART, tumblr and just playing video games or watching anime helps.

Years
  • Artist block, oh boy

It's never fun time for me -I've gotten some of that recently!
    • I have something similar to Lornami's suggestion of keeping an inspiration folder (mine's not as neat aha). Just to have things to look at and get yourself PUMPED to make something.
    • Limiting yourself and challenging yourself is also fun and could help. Find a palette you like - use only those colors. Like using a lot of brushes? Trying picking one material/brush for the entire process of the piece. Don't like drawing a certain subject? Sit down, grab your sketchbook and give it another shot.
    • Keep a small sketchbook around for doodles and notes. Have it everywhere you go. You might find inspiration outside, why not take note or do quick drawings. It's especially fun to sketch people with different fashion tastes - you could involve color if that's also outside your comfort zone.
    • Don't rush yourself out of artist/writer's block. Yeah, maybe force yourself to draw a little a day or something, but sometimes you need a breather. It's perfectly fine to take breaks and try something else until you feel like you're ready to work again.
    Well, that's all I can think of at the moment. ouo;; I know not all the suggestion will work for everyone, but it's something I've dealt with as well and noticed some of these things helped me.​

Back