• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Overrated celebrities

Status
Not open for further replies.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
  • Is there a celebrity- whether it be an actor/actress , artist/band, writer, athlete, director, etc- that a lot of people like and praise , but you don't really like them/don't understand they're popularity? Is there anyone who everyone just finds really attractive and really good talented and amazing,you're like "yeah they're okay....I guess??"

Personally this Channing Tatum for me. Everyone talks about how hot and attractive he is and I just don't see how he's attractive at all. I like him as actor for the most part. The Jump Street movies are hilarious, I just don't find him physically/aesthetically appealing.

I will really never ever like One Direction or understand their popularity when they're really just like every boyband/pop band I've heard and frankly NSYNC will always be the best of the boybands imo. Same goes for 5 Seconds of Summer. While usually I like "pop-punk" (though personally I say they're actually not pop-punk they're pop rock) bands, I can't get into them at all. Just too sugary and sweet , plus I've heard things about them being sexist, racist and homophobic so no thank you.

Last edited:

pkmin3033

It'd be faster for me to name celebrities that I don't think are like this, to be honest. Celebrity culture is blown ridiculously out of proportion these days; they're just ordinary people trying to do a job which just happens to put them in the public eye more often than most. You'd expect them to be reasonably good at what they do, but for the most part they're not really worth all the attention people pay them, in my opinion.

Her

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Winona Ryder comes to mind, but I just don't like her acting. I don't like the whole wide-eyed 'I'm so '90s and I love it!' shtick that's present throughout many of her movies. She's usually my de facto answer when it comes to celebrities I dislike, which tends to balance out the 'I hate Kim Kardashian!!!! Justin Bieber!!! Miley Cyrus!!!! I parrot all opinions!!!!' cacophony that seems to arise whenever the topic of disliked celebrities pops up.

The only other person that immediately comes to mind is Woody Allen - he's a paedophile and art cannot be separated from the artist.

Years
  • Woody Allen
    Oh god yes. Aside from being a terrible human he's also a terrible movie maker.

I would also add Quentin Tarantino and Wes Anderson (though The Grand Budapest Hotel wasn't bad) whose movies I generally can't stand and yet they both have these followers who think they can do no wrong.

Years
  • I'm with the OP, I just absolutely hate "boy bands" and don't get why they are always drawing so much attention from the media. I've heard tons of absolutely pathetic boy bands but One Direction has made me hate the genre even more, and Zayn Malik departing the group just makes them feel incomplete now.

Boy bands were an okay thing in the 90's, but 1D has pretty much marked the arrival of the death of the "tolerable boy band". In fact, a fellow UK group, The Wanted had their career killed just because of 1D's popularity. It literally took too much away from not just The Wanted, but similar groups that they just could not compete with the sheer popularity.

I'll also mention Taylor Swift, because last year was when I started to absolutely hate her, from having a shitty and repetitive song dominating charts and her latest album 1989 becoming the highest-selling album of last year just made me wonder why so many people care for her new "pop" direction (which she wanted to do with her career in the first place whatsoever) which in my opinion killed her music for me. I also see her talked about in media so often that it's just unbearable.

Last edited:

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
  • I get UPSET when people mention Wes Anderson in these conversations because he is such a great filmmaker in my eyes. look past the quirk and you have characters, stories and setpieces full of depth. I'm upset. I get how some people can find it cloying, however.

Quentin Tarantino's stuff from Kill Bill & onwards is grossly overrated, imo, if that counts. Pulp Fiction is still fucking amazing, however.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • One Direction.

Seriously, there has to be over a billion fans who like them. Everywhere I turn or look, they are trending on Twitter with some stupid hashtag. It gets so fucking annoying. Now, with them 'splitting' the fans are making a big deal over it as if they are done for. I mean, when it came to MCR breaking up for good... all they did was attack us for being upset. Now, they are crying like babies because one direction is breaking up for a year? Really?

I once heard that this girl who had been a burn victim, she had burn scars on the side of her face. She was a huge one direction fan and felt for their song "what makes you beautiful". Well, she was with her sister getting autographs, and two of the members looked at her. They started laughing at her and making remarks about her face. I think the girl with the scars got upset about it or something I think. Frankly, I don't blame her.

Justin Bieber is another one. Fangirls talk about how great he is. This is coming from a guy who used a wheelchair at Disneyland for no reason (It's said he had some minor basketball injury, but then they said he was standing up with fans like no big deal). Most celebrities get front of the line privileges at a theme park like Disney.

Last edited:

Adrasteia

[font=Comic Sans][/font]
    Years
  • You have no idea the shame I feel at belonging to the country that spawned that border line satanic cult called the 'Directioners' I cheered when I heard there gonna break up :D
    I hate the vacuous pseudo celebrity and 'reality' stars that are all over the news for doing nothing more than embarrassing themselves and having no discernible talent.

Adrasteia

[font=Comic Sans][/font]
    Years
  • One Direction.

Seriously, there has to be over a billion fans who like them. Everywhere I turn or look, they are trending on Twitter with some stupid hashtag. It gets so psyducking annoying. Now, with them 'splitting' the fans are making a big deal over it as if they are done for. I mean, when it came to MCR breaking up for good... all they did was attack us for being upset. Now, they are crying like babies because one direction is breaking up for a year? Really?

I once heard that this girl who had been a burn victim, she had burn scars on the side of her face. She was a huge one direction fan and felt for their song "what makes you beautiful". Well, she was with her sister getting autographs, and two of the members looked at her. They started laughing at her and making remarks about her face. I think the girl with the scars got upset about it or something I think. Frankly, I don't blame her.

Justin Bieber is another one. Fangirls talk about how great he is. This is coming from a guy who used a wheelchair at Disneyland for no reason (It's said he had some minor basketball injury, but then they said he was standing up with fans like no big deal). Most celebrities get front of the line privileges at a theme park like Disney.

When MCR broke up me and my sister were devistated, she hid in her room for 2 days. One Direction are an awful band, incapable of writing there own music, dressing themselves or making there own decisions, they were supposed to do a charity gig, then cancelled when they realised they wouldn't be paid. -_-

Poki

Banned
    Years
  • -sigh-

Ronda Rousey, Jennifer Lawrence, GoT cast, Cristiano Ronaldo, Beyonce Knowles, Rihanna, Michael Jackson, Madonna, David Beckham, Cara Delevingne, Taylor Swift, Justin Bieber, Nicki Minaj, 1D, 5SOS, John Green, Ariana Grande, Iggy Azalea, Ben Affleck, the Kardashians, Kanye West, Ruby Rose, etc.

I'm not even gonna mention the rest of the "musicians" we hear on the radio, I just wanted to single out the most popular ones atm.

Her

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I get UPSET when people mention Wes Anderson in these conversations because he is such a great filmmaker in my eyes. look past the quirk and you have characters, stories and setpieces full of depth. I'm upset. I get how some people can find it cloying, however.

Shut up

Years
  • -sigh-

Ronda Rousey, Jennifer Lawrence, GoT cast, Cristiano Ronaldo, Beyonce Knowles, Rihanna, Michael Jackson, Madonna, David Beckham, Cara Delevingne, Taylor Swift, Justin Bieber, Nicki Minaj, 1D, 5SOS, John Green, Ariana Grande, Iggy Azalea, Ben Affleck, the Kardashians, Kanye West, Ruby Rose, etc.

I'm not even gonna mention the rest of the "musicians" we hear on the radio, I just wanted to single out the most popular ones atm.

No offence but does this never get exhausting.

Ullion

[color=#00cc99][i]Simic Synthesis[/i][/color]
    Years
  • LeBron James. The only traditional sport I watch is basketball, and I feel like so much discussion is always revolved around him that it's become so incredibly tiresome. I fully admit he is easily one of the GOATs of basketball. But I'm tired of him. Can he just retire so the NBA can move on? Thanks.

Years
  • All of the Kardashian's/Jenner's and their respective boy toys (Disick, Kanye, etc)

Also I would consider 1D pretty overrated as well, it wold be one thing if the quality of the music matched the fame, but, seeing as it doesn't, well lol.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2019
    Oh god yes. Aside from being a terrible human he's also a terrible movie maker.

I would also add Quentin Tarantino and Wes Anderson (though The Grand Budapest Hotel wasn't bad) whose movies I generally can't stand and yet they both have these followers who think they can do no wrong.

I dont know how anyone finds him funny.

Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2019
    All of the Kardashian's/Jenner's and their respective boy toys (Disick, Kanye, etc)

Also I would consider 1D pretty overrated as well, it wold be one thing if the quality of the music matched the fame, but, seeing as it doesn't, well lol.

I can't add a response to this topic, it's so interesting even despite that fact that this thread is the old one :) I strongly agree about One Direction because I saw a lot of fans of them and when I knew more about this band, I couldn't understand that massibe hysteria at all >_> These boys aren't so bad but at the same time not so extremely talented too :P
    It's the same with Justin Bieber, I think he's a totally commercial product, maybe of the most famous among them >_> Even from such photos http://machohairstyles.com/best-justin-bieber-blonde-hair/ is seen that everything is only a part of image, no matter how cool he looks. It's not music, just business and nothing all >_>
    But I can't deny that during aging his style became much cooler {XD}

The-Gentleman-Slick-Back-650x650.jpg

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
  • unfortunately I have to lock this as it's over a year old. however I do admire the tenacity required to find a thread this old and post in it. 8)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back