• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: Universal Pokemon Randomizer (randomizes gen1-5 games)

Years
I see that you just updated this a couple weeks ago so I assume this is still being worked on.

I don't know if this is a bug or on purpose, but in Black if you don't randomize pokemon movesets and do check "No gamebreaking moves," it leaves sonic boom and dragon rage alone. It would be nice to see them replaced with something generic (like tackle and twister or something), as I keep getting OHKOd by deino and gible in the early game.

Other than that, this is just amazing. Keep up the great work!

Years
  • Seen Sep 30, 2023
I found a bug, if you randomize or swap the field items in Red, Blue, or Yellow (maybe Green?) And pick up a pokeball before you're normally able to, Prof. Oak won't give you a pokedex...

And here is a few suggestions:

1. An option not to randomize HMs (I've gotten stuck a couple times, because no pokemon could learn surf and/or Strength, forcing me to load the vanilla game and teach the HMs I needed to progress...)

2. An option to fix TM/HM compatibility in older games (Example, Moltres could not learn solarbeam until diamond and pearl, Charizard couldn't learn Fly in red and blue or learn rock slide until Fire red and Leaf Green)

Years
  • Age 43
  • Seen Mar 17, 2014
I'm currently getting an error when I try to randomize a ROM of Pokemon Emerald.

Error message:

java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: -132116207
at com.dabomstew.pkrandom.romhandlers.Gen3RomHandler.readWildArea(Gen3RomHandler.java:1123)
at com.dabomstew.pkrandom.romhandlers.Gen3RomHandler.getEncounters(Gen3RomHandler.java:1075)
at com.dabomstew.pkrandom.romhandlers.AbstractRomHandler.randomEncounters(AbstractRomHandler.java:366)
at com.dabomstew.pkrandom.gui.RandomizerGUI.performRandomization(RandomizerGUI.java:3717)
at com.dabomstew.pkrandom.gui.RandomizerGUI.saveROM(RandomizerGUI.java:3016)
at com.dabomstew.pkrandom.gui.RandomizerGUI.saveROMButtonActionPerformed(RandomizerGUI.java:4271)
at com.dabomstew.pkrandom.gui.RandomizerGUI.access$25(RandomizerGUI.java:4270)
at com.dabomstew.pkrandom.gui.RandomizerGUI$26.actionPerformed(RandomizerGUI.java:2187)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.access$200(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.security.ProtectionDomain$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

(there is more to it, but this is the part which seems to be the error.)

The ROM I am trying to randomized is already a ROM hack (Moemon). I have been able to randomize an un-hacked version of Emerald, so I'm assuming that I just cannot randomize an already hack ROM. If this is the case, is there any way that I can do it?

Thanks!

Years
  • Seen Sep 30, 2023
The ROM I am trying to randomized is already a ROM hack (Moemon). I have been able to randomize an un-hacked version of Emerald, so I'm assuming that I just cannot randomize an already hack ROM. If this is the case, is there any way that I can do it?

Thanks!

This Randomizer can randomize hacks, but the hack can't change too much stuff in order to be compatible.

If i remember right, doesn't Moemon only change pokemon sprites? If so, there might something else that's wrong (because the sprite hack shouldn't be the problem, heck I made a Emerald hack that changed sprites, stats, and names of pokemon, and this randomizer works with it)

pokemonmasteraaron

The blind Pokémon Master!
Years
Hey, I've got a question.
What is "race mode"?
I don't seem to see a difference with the box checked or unchecked.
Another thing is, I am using the latest version, V1.5.0, but I do not see an option for wild pokemon of similar strength like in the trainer randomization section.
How is that done?
Thanks.

Years
So much fun!!!

//===================================\\
Hacks I support:
Pokémon Grape Version(I can't put the link,so search!)
Pokémon Platinum Red and Blue(I can't put the link,so search!)

Years
  • Seen Oct 18, 2023
When I try to load the Pokemon Gold Rom on the latest version of the randomizer, I get this error message: 'Could not load Pokemon Gold.gbc. It is not a supported rom'.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Aug 22, 2015
I have the latest version of the program but easy evolutions didn't work. I gave a reaper cloth to my dusclops, leveled it up holding it and he didn't evolve. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Nadim_M12

EDIT - Nevermind, I thought I had to check "Make Evos easier" instead of "Change Impossible Evos"
What would be nice is edit the randomized ROM so I can add that feature xD

Last edited:

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
Years
Hi.
Can someone explain me what does the "Set minimum catch rate" option under the "Wild Pokemon" section does?
Makes the catch easier or harder?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 21, 2023
Hey, I just got a new computer, and I downloaded it and downloaded Java, but it won't open when I try to open it. Can anyone help? I think it still sees it as a jar file rather than an executable app...

Exodrake

The Manliest Chick that Ever Manlied
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 30, 2016
Can this be updated to be ini-based so it can be compatible with ROM hacks that repoint/expand tables?

I don't care for it turning all my fairies into ???-types and not letting me randomize learnsets because the moves have been expanded to 511.

Years
  • Seen Mar 8, 2024
Huh, I skipped quite a few release versions on this topic. The randomizer version is up to 1.7.0a now. I updated the OP for now, but I might forget in the future - the most recent releases will be available through the randomizer's website (linked in my signature) and/or the autoupdate system available in the program itself.

The randomizer is actually INI-based, just the INIs are bundled inside the program itself for ease of use. Custom types reverting to ??? type is a known issue with Gen3 hack support that I will address in a later version.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 25, 2023
Hey first off want to say amazing job on this! It truly is a solid and multifaceted tool you've developed, so much customization and so many different aspects taken into account. The only thing I want to point out is the rival's randomized starter in FR. I saw you post this:

- The text when the rival recieves his (randomized) starter in Fire Red / Leaf Green is now updated.

a while ago, and while that portion is accurate, the starter that the rival receives is still the original Bulbasaur/Squirtle/Charmander. I have a randomized FR game that has (from left to right pokeballs) Mudkip, Caterpie, and Bagon. Whichever pokeball the rival chooses will accurately announce Mudkip/Caterpie/Bagon, but when the rival battles me it's still the original Bulbasaur/Squirtle/Charmander.

Anvils Alive

Fun is infinite. Sega Enterprises.
Years
Awesome job on this! The one feature I'd like to see, besides the upcoming hack compatibility, is a "same-type bias" slider to replace the current options for randomizing level-up moves. If you set the "same type slider" to 50%, for example, Blaziken would have at least 9 of its moves (in Gen V, that is) be either Fire or Fighting.

Ayonn-

The Unbelivable
Years
Introduction
This program allows you to customize your experience playing the Pokemon games by randomizing many aspects of them. This means that the Pokemon you get at the start of the game, the Pokemon you fight in the wild and the Pokemon trainers have can all be made completely different from the original game.

About

So this is a randomizer for all the Pokemon main series games currently out. I'm posting it here because it's an example of quite a lot of different ROM hacks, and also because a fair amount of research/code written by members here & other forums was used in its creation.

The randomizer has been worked on for a while now, so quite a few of the minor issues have been resolved since the first release.
This is the first randomizer *program* (to my knowledge) to support Gen4, or Gen5 outside of the original B/W.

Known Issues:
Spoiler:

Acknowledgements/Credits
See here

Downloads
The release is available attached here, though the version attached may be out of date. The latest releases will always be available on the randomizer website. The full source code (on GitHub) is also available under GPLv3. It's written in Java - all the dependencies used were ported over by me (except DSDecmp which had a Java version already)

Hi, is it possible to set randomisation as an option in a third gen game ??

Back