• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is PC for Beginners? Should It Be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    I'm going to leave as much as the skype stuff out of it, as that's something that we as mods need to discuss that isn't in a thread on PC.

On the starting question about PC being for beginners, I'm going to echo previous statements. This place should be as much for 'beginners' as for people that have been RPing longer, and like to do so in a longer post format. There have been talks of starting a beginners RP, but I personally feel that labelling an RP as beginner would create elitism that wasn't present before. Once you start dividing people up in 'beginner', and 'advanced', you start shaping people up into classes, and that should be avoided. Even if we take out that factor, people that don't see themselves as beginners might just want to join an RP because of an interesting setting, and the label discourages that. The criticism of PTA is something I'm not really able to comment on, considering that has been hugely inactive ever since I became aware of it. If you, or anyone else for that matter, feels like PC needs an RP with a similar premise that attracts new faces, get in contact! We'll be able to help, if there is even any help needed.

The RPT isn't small for sure. I'm counting around 50 or so active to semi-active people. New RPs pop-up every once in a while, with there almost always being something pokemon-related to join, and I feel like it facilitates for new people too. Every RP I've been in so far bar one has introduced new people that I didn't know before. I myself only become active here in April of '15, by just signing up for something that looked interesting. I've only started to develop my interest in writing at that same point, so I basically joined as someone without experience. I've made some comments in passing to the regulars here, but outside of that, I didn't interact with people here. I did get picked up really quickly, allowing me to meet new people here, and start becoming an active regular. I think this is the optimal way to join, just join an RP and get dragged in with the people you're RPing with. If there has been an atmosphere of elitism here, it must have developed since I joined, because there was no such thing holding me back from getting to know these people. The thing is that I don't notice these trends in the RPs I'm in, as they've all been welcoming to new people, and the players with that. In my experience people were generally happy to facilitate any help people needed, as in help writing, coming up with plots, wanting CSS but not being able to make it (That darn CSS). As a GM I've also noticed that I got some PMs asking me questions about joining my RPs from people with no experience, and I myself have been doing as much as possible to get people to join, and I know some other GMs do so to. One thing I've noticed I've been getting messages about, though, is people wondering if an RP is still accepting, and I suspect that if there are people willing to ask, there are enough that have the same confusion and are not willing to ask. Something that might maybe signify that might help in that situation.

For resources for starting players, we have a starters pad. I think that name would signal its use fairly well, haha. It has a variety of guides, explains all the concepts that RPing holds, and links to relevant threads. We've also got the template thread for CSS should people be worried about fancying their posts up.

The notion that RPs are made for a certain group seems a bit crazy to me. There is indeed a group that seems to join each others RPs a lot, but in honesty, it's the group of 40~ active RPers that are in multiple RPs at the same time, and dedicate a lot of the time to this section, so a lot of RPs will have a lot of returning faces. Even RPs not made by people that are part of the active regulars here have multiple of these people in them, so I think it's more a volume thing. A lot of RPs here don't have a player cap, so the fact that people join each other's RPs doesn't create a problem there. People will flock to RPs they find interesting, and it helps if people they know are in it/GM it. But, generally, RPs with settings they are interested in are still joined, and there is without doubt room made for newer people to join in. As I said, literally every single RP I've been in, I've RPed with at least one new person, but most of the times it's more than that.

I feel like I mistyped something terribly, or forgot to make a point in this post, but I'm getting a bit tired, so let's just hope that I haven't, haha.

Jauntier

Where was your antennas again?
    Years
  • I'm not exactly "new" to the community. I'm just not interested in much of the site, but when I see something I think may be interesting, I will throw in my two cents.

This is the input of someone who is rather distant to these particular supposed issues mentioned in here. Do not consider it any more "objective" as it is my personal reflection in passing:

I think the answer is yes it is and yes it should be. However, I don't think PC likes to behave like a space for beginner RPers. Instead, we have a lot of advanced RPs that intimidate our less skilled members and make it hard for them to improve and branch out. The beginner RPs that we DO have are either poorly made so no one wants to join them, die off quickly, are not properly advertised as such, or act as a black hole where none of the beginner RPers on PC escape (*coughcough*PTA*coughcough*).

If someone makes a roleplay that someone else feels intimidated by because it is well-written, organized, and its concept is adventurous in a number of aspects, that is not the fault of the GM. You call the RP "advanced." Then clearly, it is not for "beginners" by your logic. In truth, the only divide someone can possibly claim between something that is an "advanced" story and something that is novice is whether or not the person who seeks to apply understands the plot and thinks they can keep up with what they perceive are the demands of the game/story. As for "beginner" rps, roleplays that you may think are not as well planned, well, that comes with the territory of inexperience. So what? You don't get the experience without trying your hand at it yourself. This is the step in "branching out". When considering a roleplay to join, you should also look at the kinds of people who join. Their character applications oftentimes give a good indicator of their writing skill and certain preferences. If you think they are on par with yours, then that's a good place to start. If you want to feel challenged or want to learn from someone you think has an aspect of writing that is more developed than yours, the option to join is there, as well as privately getting in touch with them and making a writing peer of them. It's a community: reach out.

If someone can't make a RP that garners interest for whatever reason, they should hold off and join another RP to whet the appetite. I personally don't recommend people seek out guides on a role-play forum on how to write because with my experience in other places it's the blind leading the blind, but someone can look at the original post of a successful or active roleplay and glean elements from there to compare with what they attempted, and hopefully learn from the differences.

The RPC community seems small, but in reality I don't think it is. We have a lot of RPers that are unknown to the forum because they are afraid to or are unwilling to branch out of the one RP they found themselves comfortable in. That honestly doesn't work. That is not how a community should work. Intentional or not, I feel as though RPC is not as welcoming as it used to be. There is an air of elitism and clique-ishness here that says "if you're not in the group, you're not in anything". There is an implication in PC that if you don't come in with or have a group of friends to RP with then you're not going to have many chances to RP period. If you don't feel like this then tbh there's a 90% chance you're in one of these groups.

If someone feels afraid or even worse--unwilling to branch out, it's their prerogative. Take the initiative yourself to branch out, or stay stagnant, finding blame in everything else but one's own unwillingness to attempt or settle. That's how I see it typically goes.

I don't sense elitism or cliques. I sense friendships and affinities, and people are naturally more inclined to associate with friends more than other users. Whose fault is that? If there's a clique, find one you fit into. If there are "elites" and you're bothered that you aren't "elite" at role-playing, then it sounds like someone wants to get in on an exclusive crowd, or go on a witch hunt to seek out and tear down the bourgeoisie they aren't a part of. True elitism in an rp group is shunning or actively shaming people however they can, only letting in their designated crowd of people while they make it a point to call themselves superior, or imply you are inferior with some shady tactics or outright blatancy to prevent the plebians from trickling in. Being good at writing amidst other good writers is not elitism. People who aren't confident in themselves to join a group that would otherwise take them in should they give it a shot should not call the people they put on a pedestal elites.

And, tbh, I am not that 90% statistic. That's poor rhetoric, jumping the gun by punctuating your argument with the accusation that anyone who may possibly disagree with you somehow doesn't count, as per your bogus generalization. As for me, I'm not an rp activist here. I don't care enough to be in something like a clique, especially not on some subforum for pretending to be a Pokemon Trainer, for instance.

RPC is meant to be and should be open to all kinds of players no matter how good or bad they are. Yet, there doesn't seem to be a lot of encouragement. Very little RPs made for beginners, very little resources that help unskilled writers get better, and very little confidence boosting for RPers who don't think they can join an RP because they don't think they're good enough for it. There's also very little encouragement for people who join and make RPs for the same people over and over again to try and branch out and meet new RPers and RP with new people.

A Pokemon forum with a role-play section has no obligation to coddle people with an assortment of writing guides for beginners. Someone wants to join a roleplay but they can't write well and want to learn how to write better? Well, if it isn't a learning disability preventing them, I'm sure paying attention in English class can help with how to improve one's writing skill. I'm sure someone can Google "how to write well" and get just as many expert journals from English professors, child-oriented worksheets from elementary school teachers, peer-level advice--helpful or just as uninformed--on public "answer" feedback forums like YahooAnswers or a separate RP site that pulls up in the search engine results.

Look, I'm just going to say right now, the only person who can boost their own confidence is oneself. Yes, there are boosters and slights in the form of other people, but if you don't have the drive to do it, or you have such fragile sensibilities, then how unfortunate. The encouragement you get on a role-play forum is in joining a role-play and interacting with the other participants, those whom you feel like you may have a level of understanding with, or whom you may admire. If you can't encourage yourself to jump in, it shouldn't be everyone else's duty to seek you out and swaddle the newborn. That's what introduction threads are for, that's your initiation to the community. That's your praise for your mere presence. Now, go out and connect. Be sociable on this text-based medium.

There is a distinction on the RPT that sets apart beginner style RPs from that of advanced RPs. It may not be noticed by many, but its there. Its not necessarily a barrier of skill and length, but also how attractive the RPs can appear to a person just getting into the writing scene. Beginners will not post in 'advanced' RPs, even if their grammar and writing style are well enough to get by.

Is that a negative point that a beginner will join what they prefer as "attractive"? Is it a negative point that beginners will not post in something they consider "advanced", and consequently, would post in something that could be on par, with, say, an "intermediate" (how is this even determined) or a "beginner" rp?

I thought the argument with your bae was that this forum isn't so friendly to beginners. If a beginner is not joining an advanced rp, then they are joining something more fitting to beginners. Then that's not a problem. Their desire for something lesser and creating/joining it solves itself.

Now, I agree that there is a clique, though this isn't necessarily a bad thing. A lot of time, I see a RP mentioned in the skype group targeted towards the GMs particular group of friends. Its mentioned there, and as soon as its posted, the skype chat is blown up with the news that its been accepted and the friends of the GM flock into RESERVE their spot.

This stops a lot of beginners from getting the chance to get in the RP when there is limited spots. Hell, when there isn't, the fact that a large group whom have obviously RPed together for awhile coming into a thread can intimidate literally anyone. I wouldn't really say this is a problem in its entirety, but it is a thing that has been happening a lot recently and needs to be addressed.

I agree with the point that reserves with limited spots are a waste of time. I was surprised entering this forum that people here reserved and were allowed to. When I make a roleplay (I've yet to make one here and am hesitant for reasons not specific to this forum), I do not allow reserves. The issue with reserves is that people put in a reserve, and they forget about it, or procrastinate. Maybe they weren't really too sold on the rp, but they thought they'd get the inspiration to post a character later, and they at least would have a spot saved to make sure, whenever they get around to it. And then they don't kick their rear in gear until there's a notice that the reserve deadline has or will be met very soon, and then they throw something together last minute. Or worse, they rear their ugly head in to complain or seek pity. And GMs who are desperate for their rp to start with a full cast may even extend that reserve because they are hopeful, and that further denies entry from other potential participants in a space that would have otherwise been cleared up.

None of this would happen if people just post their finished applications when they have the time to. I, as a GM, don't like waiting on people and expecting them to keep their word and come around before my reserve deadline. I, as a potential applicant, don't care to see a full list of reserves in what appears to be limited spots, when I can have my application filled out in the same day of being completely sure of wanting to join.

But being intimidated to a role-play because a lot of people have already signed up is no one else's fault but the person feeling insecure. There are people who join late in the game. That is no excuse.

This is the main problem caused by it. I dare you to go through the RPs on this forum. See who's in them. How many times did you see the exact same names in several? How many times did you see someone newer to the forum?

This is a niche subforum. You will have a certain number of people who are active and join a number of role-plays, some at the same time. Is it their fault of their interest? If you eliminate reserves, those names may very well still be there. What would be the alternative in that case, that they not be so active so as to let other people in?

I agree that the mindsets of GMs need to change. Though, I'm not entirely sure how. That's something up for debate. If people know there's an issue, they can work to fix it.

How someone wants to operate their own creation is their issue and right. We as players are free to leave a role-play if we do not like how it is or how we are being handled. We as players are also free to make our own role-play, if we want to show those other suckers how things are run right.

This should not be an issue of policing attitudes on a forum that others can easily dismiss by avoiding whom they perceive to be the offenders, or more productively, taking the initiative to be this newbie activist by making their own inclusive role-play.

Thanks for reading. I'm sure many of my points have been previously shared, but I'm not going to check. If I'm in agreement with you, good.

Last edited:

Kikpanther

Not a beginner that's for sure
    Years
  • So this thread got me a lot of notifications so--happy day!--people actually care. At least a little bit. I was partially afraid no one would respond, but you guys proved me wrong. I am a bit disappointed in the direction the discussion went, however. I do like that we're discussing this whole clique issue but it was not the point of this thread, more so the point of it. The fact that it became such a big topic makes me think that I may have hit a sore spot in the aforementioned clique, but I think all of that can be solved while making PC a better place for beginners. Also I'd like to apologize for taking so long to respond. I have a lot of responsibilities (that I'm currently ignoring to respond to this) that I have to fulfill.

I'm just going to go through and respond to each of these. If a post goes over what I already answered (or what I think I already answered) I'm not going to mention it here.

Okay!

I'm inclined to disagree. Whilst I can see why some of us come of a bit cliquey since we talk a lot on Skype there's plenty of RPs here that are perfectly open to people who are newer to roleplaying and I know that the majority of us who GM do our best to help beginners rather than chase them out. In fact, there's actually been quite a few newer RPers/GMs come into the RPT. Off the top of my head LinearAxel, JohnnyMustang, Merlin, Milotic and desinishon are all newer to the corner and they aren't the only ones.

I guess, aside from some of us being really close friends, I just don't see where you're coming from at all. I think that the RPT has become a lot less elitist in recent years and I know for a fact that most of us are thrilled to see new faces around here.

While it is nice that all of the RPs made are open to everyone, that doesn't take away from the fact that Advanced RPs are often intimidating to beginner RPers. Especially if there's nothing written in the OP to encourage them. And I never said that the RPs prevent people from coming into the RPT. I don't doubt we have new people coming in often, Pokemon is a popular topic, same would be true for RPing. The other subjects we have here are also great for attracting other people. It's the fact that we have a huge lack of RPs that less skilled players are comfortable joining or feel welcome to join. PTA seems to be the only one other than RPs made by other beginners that aren't joined because they usually aren't made well (though that can also be improved by making RPC more beginner-friendly). I think it's also important to know that someone new to the forums is not necessarily going to be a beginner RPer.

I'd also like to comment that being less elitist now than in the past doesn't mean the problem is fixed. Just improved.

I'm sorry you feel this way. I do agree with you to a point that it can be very intimidating for new RPers to branch out and RP like the way they want to. But I can say that I used to be one of the new members, and still am really, and can say that I really enjoy it here. One just has to feel confident in their writing but be open to feedback. I can say that I really appreciate several members who have been GMs or just members in a skype chat for giving me advice on my writing. My first ever post was absolute trash when i made it, but I like to think I have made progress and I thank the people I've RP'ed with for being the reason. Something as simple as reading their posts has been a major reason for my writing getting steadily better.

I don't get the clique vibe at all. I get more of the "long time members who talk with each other a lot and have become friends" vibe. I know that if i asked for help, more than enough members here in the RP section would be happy to help.

As fort those who aren't as good at RP'ing, I feel I can say on behalf of the RP community, and for sure myself, that we would be happy to help them out in their writing. I understand feeling scared or nervous about asking for help from such good writers but we are all extremely nice and want this community to be great.

Anyways I again am sorry that you feel this way. If there is anything I can do to help, reach out to me!

That goes for any member that feels their writing is not as good. No one should feel bad about their writing. It's one of the greatest stress relievers I've found and a lot of fun to immerse yourself in your own and other's stories! :)

I'm glad you're having such a great time in the RPC, but anecdotal evidence is only that. Anecdotal. It doesn't prove an argument wrong unless you have substantial evidence.

Unfortunately, not everyone is like you. There are a lot of people who aren't confident enough to try and join an RP regardless of their skill level and there are less people who are confident enough to ask for help. I've noticed (and I think this is true) that writing is a lot like drawing. If you don't think you've produced something outstanding, you're not too excited about showing others. This is especially true when you're with people you perceive as being much better than you. Not everyone, of course, but most people feel this way. It's hard to break in when you don't think you're good enough to take that big leap into an RP that might be at a higher level that you are. This is even more true if you think that you'll be rejected based on your skill and there's nothing to tell you that's not the case.

I'd also like to say that the friendship asset is a big part of this too. If you don't come into PC with friends and you aren't the type to just talk to someone and try to form a relationship, then it gets a bit harder to really break into the community. There is nothing here that encourages new or old members to meet new RPers and make new friends. That is, unless you're brave enough to join a more advanced RP where they have Skype chats. I will say that Skype improves the making friends and breaking out issue a lot. You get to talk to new people, discuss your RP, and hopefully build confidence. However, again, that is only if you're already brave enough to join an RP that has a Skype chat which is most usually the advanced RPs. The RPT Skype Chat doesn't require this but is not a public space so it doesn't do any justice. Something like a welcome thread of an open RPT chat would improve the meeting people issue.

I am going to be entirely honest. I agree with Kikpanther in many aspects of their post, though I believe they did word some things rather awkwardly looking back on it.

There is a distinction on the RPT that sets apart beginner style RPs from that of advanced RPs. It may not be noticed by many, but its there. Its not necessarily a barrier of skill and length, but also how attractive the RPs can appear to a person just getting into the writing scene. Beginners will not post in 'advanced' RPs, even if their grammar and writing style are well enough to get by.

Now, I agree that there is a clique, though this isn't necessarily a bad thing. A lot of time, I see a RP mentioned in the skype group targeted towards the GMs particular group of friends. Its mentioned there, and as soon as its posted, the skype chat is blown up with the news that its been accepted and the friends of the GM flock into RESERVE their spot.

This stops a lot of beginners from getting the chance to get in the RP when there is limited spots. Hell, when there isn't, the fact that a large group whom have obviously RPed together for awhile coming into a thread can intimidate literally anyone. I wouldn't really say this is a problem in its entirety, but it is a thing that has been happening a lot recently and needs to be addressed.

I'm going to be entirely honest and say that's totally your fault? I told you I didn't like the way the OP sounded and sent it to you to proofread and you said it was fine. XD

But onto the rest of the post... I figure I should try and define what an Advanced RP and what a Beginner RP is in case anyone was confused by that or just didn't understand me.

Advanced RP: An RP for advanced roleplayers. These RPs expect high-quality character creation, grammar, writing technique, and all that good stuff. Some Advanced RPs have word counts and some don't, either way, they expect lengthy replies from the players (usually more than one or two paragraphs). There are also many Advanced RPs (though it is more common in Advanced RP Forums) that dictate the type of faceclaim (or picture) is required for a character and if they are required. Advanced RPs generally have well thought out/deep plotlines and are generally more aesthetically pleasing than Advanced RPs. Advanced RP Forums are usually very strict when it comes to these factors.

Beginner RP: An RP for beginner roleplayers. These RPs do not expect high-quality anything from the RPer. The requirements are generally that whatever is written is readable for the GM and that they like the SU. Posts can be any length they want to be though they are generally a paragraph or less. Plotlines in beginner RPs are not usually as well developed, are much shorter than an Advanced RP, or have a never-ending style kind of like PTA. A lot of beginner RPs, but not all of them, have unlimited spots.

Intermediate RP: An RP for intermediate roleplayers. Not advanced and not beginner. Generally have more Advanced leanings than Beginner does.

As you probably already know, RPC is not a forum that has requirements that would denote it as an Advanced RP setting. It is very much a Beginner Forum that allows users to make Beginner to Advanced RPs. I also decided to add in the Intermediate option since it does exist but isn't as common as the other two I don't think. Most of the RPs we have here have Intermediate to Advanced leanings rather than Beginner. Now I'm not saying that the Advanced RPs we do have are in any way as strict as some of the characteristics I've listed for the Advanced RP category. This goes back to my mention in the post that the Corner tries to be an Advanced RP forum more than it does try to be a Beginner Forum. In truth, if we did a lot of comparisons and debating, we might be closer to Intermediate, but that doesn't take away from the fact that our Beginner RP experience is pretty lacking. Like I said before, Intermediate or Advanced, I don't think we give the encouragement to Beginner RPers like we should.

Going on to Quest's next point, I'd also like to say that having cliques are not necessarily a bad thing. People have friends, friends form groups, cliques naturally happen. It's impossible to escape cliques. It's when cliques dominate social spheres (or in this case, dominate RPs) that it becomes a problem.

Like I said before, the RPT Chat is a great place for people to get together to make friends and collaborate, but it doesn't work if it isn't public. As a private chat (or invite only, since people can get into the chat if they're invited in) it enhances the clique issue. Maybe the Corner has less of a clique vibe when you don't know the Chat exists, but when you do know that it exists I think you can see it creates a problem. I think the biggest one is that the majorities of RPs here are thought up in and discussed within the Chat. The RPs discussed there are usually made for the people in the Chat to join. This creates the flocking to reserve as Quest says.

I think we can all see that the majority of the RPs here are made and joined by the same people. Whether it be because of cliques or because of intimidated beginners, that has to be a sign of a problem, right?

I don't have time to write a lengthy response right now, but just addressing one of Quest's points: what do you suggest we do about the "flocking to reserve" thing, then? I don't see how we could forbid friends to RP together, and I also don't think it sounds reasonable to try and do that. However, as a GM myself, I recognize the scenario and have been wanting to get more new faces in. I think rather it's up to the GM what people to let in to the RP than something we need to officially regulate though? People here are responsible. People can be responsible GMs. Or maybe that's what you were trying to get at; the mindset of GMs needs to change?

Eliminating or changing the rules of reserves would be a pretty instant fix for this. Getting rid of reserves automatically makes signing up a fair game. You can even improve that by not auto-accepting the first finished SU, but judging it by its quality, concept, and/or the enthusiasm and willingness of the RPer.

And I don't mean to say we need to regulate who gets to be in and who doesn't get to be in RPs. Like I said before, we need to make PC more accepting to beginner RPers. That can be through the encouragement for the generation of more Beginner RPs made specifically for, or are more open to , beginner RPers. I think it'd be especially helpful if these Beginner RPs were made by advanced RPers so they can help beginner Rpers improve their skills. More stickied threads about better character creation and improving ones writing will help. A welcome thread or an open RPT Chat will also help. There are a lot of ways we can improve the situation, an open discussion can help us with generating ideas.

I'm busy trying not to rip my keyboard in half because I just lost my 1k word response to the OP. It was nice, but I'm not writing that out again. :'(

All I'm going to say is, if anyone would like an example of how an RP community is built, look up an RP called Titans. It was made this previous year, by myself, and I was very new to the RPC at the time. Almost none of the users that signed up knew each other in the beginning, with a few exceptions. We had mods, newbies, old-timers, and lurkers. The RP didn't last very long, but I talk to almost every one of those people now somewhat regularly.

That's how it should be. People RP together, and build communities. People shouldn't be afraid to try new things, and they shouldn't keep people from trying them.

Sorry to hear that Bidoof! =/ I have completely lost all drive on entire threads because of things like that. If you're on Firefox there is (or at least, was when I was using FF) a plugin called Lazarus that saves your writing for you so you don't lose it if your page gets deleted somehow. :)

I also think what you put up is/was a great example. We need more of that here at PC. I think the key to your example is that ll of the players were new or didn't know each other. We barely have that in the RPT anymore. Like I said before, the majority of RPs here are made by the same people and played in by the same people. There is hardly any variety and opportunity for new people to meet new people. People shouldn't be afraid to try new things and meet new people, but they are and we should make RPC a more encouraging place to make more cases like Titans.

Now to the beginners RP part; If a beginners RP is poorly made then that's the GM's fault. What do you mean by properly advertised?

How do you know exactly, when an RPer is unknown to the forum?

About the elitism and clique: You said it yourself, this isn't a small community; As in real life, elitism and clique-ishness are common. Sometimes, some people get along better with a specific group, personalities varies vastly. This happens in every section of PC. It also happens in every little part of the world. This is no one's fault and it is not something to be fixed.

Although I do agree with the fact that there are very little resources to help unskilled writers, but I think everyone knows this. If you raised all these questions, you might have some thoughts about it and I would like to hear them.

I have to be honest, I'm not entirely sure I understand your points here? It mostly seems like your saying "okay so there's a problem, problems happen all of the time, so what?" which frankly doesn't make sense to me. If you see that here is a problem or that something can be improved why wouldn't you improve it?

But going on to what you said...

Properly advertise meaning if someone made a beginner RPs for beginners they didn't say it was a beginner RP. Also, I don't know every single person on PC but there are a lot of RPers within PTA that I have seen only within PTA. And I doubt the couple of people who post in and make threads/RPs are the only people that visit the RPC.

Also, your point about clique-ishness and elitism being everywhere isn't a very good point? There are many organizations that try and eliminate cliques or grouping completely so people aren't alienated or bullied as a result. My college has restrictions to eliminate cliques so? And like I said before, nothing is wrong with having friends. It's when that group begins to dominate things is when it becomes a problem.

I've already addressed some of my thoughts on this in this posts and I think improving RPC. The parts of your post I didn't quote has already been answered somewhere else in here.

Thirdly, we have the Starting Pad filled with guidance, hints and help, and a place to ask questions should there be any. On top of that, I think in general GMs have been very willing to help and guide newcomers (and even encourage them to join things) lately. Or actually, not even lately. Always. I might be blinded somehow, but I have never (in the last 5 years at least) felt like people can't get help here if they seem to need it. Remember how people almost literally jumped at a chance to greet a newcomer and provide help when they poked their face into the old Roleplay Discussion thread? c:

As for people who join and create RPs with the same RPers over and over again, that is really up to the RPers themselves. Which I also touched on in my previous post. We can't police the wants and preferences of people, only do our best to cater for as many wants and preferences as possible.

In all honestly, I totally forgot about The Starting Pad. Though now that I am remembering it, I think that it is a bit old. While the information in there is helpful I think a lot of it could use some nice updating (I'm sure the people who made old threads in there have learned something new) so the information is more up to date or more detailed and fleshed out. It could also use more of a variety of topics to help people who have unexpected questions. I think some of the subjects of the threads here are evidence that we need more guides and information.

And I remember the Roleplay Discussion thread, but the Roleplay Discussion thread doesn't exist anymore so there isn't nearly the amount of asking and jumping like there used to be.

Sure making RPs for friends is up to the players, but that doesn't make it less of a problem. As I'm saying for I'm sure the third time now, there's nothing wrong with having friends. You can RP with just your friends if you want to. People do that for many reasons. They aren't confident enough to RP with strangers, they don't want to RP with other people, or maybe even time constraints. I for one have started only joining RPs GMed by friends because my time schedule makes it hard for me to post and they'll be much more forgiving about my inactivity than someone I don't know that well.

The problem comes when the vast majority of RPs available are RPs made just for friends. This comes back to my earlier point that if you don't come in with friends, you don't have many places to go. I've already talked a bit about ways to fix this up top.

I realized that in my short little summation I left out a few of the key points I wanted to make previously, before Chrome ate my response.

In the spirit of keeping things constructive, I think we should focus on what we can do to make the RPT better, as well as addressing any problems that may arise. My suggestions:

- To me, it sounds like people just need to talk more. More communication, more opportunities for discussion, etc. This includes private conversations as well.

- Second, I've heard divided opinions on this, but possibly someone experienced could run an "Intro to Roleplay" type RP, (as opposed to just writing it off as a beginner RP, which for some reason has a negative connotation for most) where people could learn about how we roleplay here in a less intimidating format, or just work on improving their writing skills. It could be open to everyone, that way people who already have experience could join with the intent of making connections with some newer faces. Just a thought.

- Just wanted to add that it's I believe it's sort of healthy for someone to bring up this kind of thing once in a while. It forces us to look at ways we can improve the RPT, and addresses possible concerns that people may have. Hopefully we never become a community where people are discouraged from sharing their constructive opinions.

Just quoting this here to show that this is a good example of what I'm talking about. I think these are good suggestions towards improvement and hopefully we can expand on these when the conversation continues in whatever format.

Though I'm not totally sure what you mean by "Intro to RPing". Do you mean an RP that works as a tutorial or a guide?

tumblr_mhttpfIvyS1ru1wbho1_250.gif

i'm sorry i had to XD

NGL I empathise with the OP on a certain level. When I first came back to PC's roleplaying scene in 2015, I did feel a little left out and had that "the newbie" feeling stuck on my head. I mean, with stuff like Titans collab (in which almost everyone was involved in), people constantly discussing ideas about JPs, and veterans having many nostalgic trips, it was easy to feel excluded (not to mention timezones and other factors). But then I realized that it was me, where the issue lied. I wasn't being proactive myself. Sure, the RPT community may feel a little "clique-y" but I fail to see where there is an elitist atmosphere (and trust me, I know about elitism; the community was way worse in 2010/2011 *coughRPAcough* which was why I left). I was not shunned from the community despite only having signed up for one roleplay, nor did my freshness prove to be a problem with future roleplay signups. Honestly, when I began to participate more and become more active in getting to know the people, it felt as though I was already old friends with them and that I was merely reunited. It is human nature to group together and have some sort of common identity; there is no way to stop such a behaviour. As long as healthy relationships are being forged, I fail to see a problem. I think I can safely say that nobody here wants to feel excluded and nobody here wants to make others feel excluded, especially in a setting that thrives on inclusivity. [That being said, it's counterproductive waiting for someone to extend an invitation (which may also be seen as imposing) if one is reluctant on coming out of their shell.] To echo gimmepie, the RPT has been seeing a stream of new faces, and it doesn't hurt that we have a little alliance with the WoPC forums. :D

To directly answer the thread title, I'd say no. This isn't a place for beginners. There are no "beginners" here. Nobody is "more/less advanced"than anyone else here. To judge and compare one's writing with another, is an act of conceitedness. There is no way one can define solidly what a "beginner" or an "advanced" roleplayer is. A "beginner" roleplayer may have plenty of experience being a solo writer and merely wanted to taste the art of collaborative writing. And to categorize roleplays like that is to restrict creativity, as well as further divide the community. I've seen this kind of thing done before, in Marriland's roleplaying forums (iirc; they no longer have such a thing, I wonder why) and RoleplayerGuild. It's not really welcoming to say the least...

NGL, it's very easy to criticize something, but it's very hard to actually do something. I am guilty of that myself. If you want more "beginner RPs", why not make one yourself, rather than deflect responsibility onto others? I like to think that the current mod team is doing a fine job running the RPT, and thus, perhaps the question to be asked is, is there a demand for "beginner" roleplays? Food for thought.

I feel like this is highly loaded and bordering on false accusations/misinformation, but I'm sure it was unintentional. Also, I feel like I hardly see you around, and I think you're a person with lots of ideas and opinions that are worth sharing, so why not come visit us in our regular haunts and realize that perhaps you may have a few misconceptions about the RPT? :)

edit: TL;DR I don't see a real clique problem (but it is good to have such concerns) and anyone is free to join our skype chats and events. TBH I'm kinda sick of the regular faces like Foxrally (ew) and I want to meet new faces.

Again, I'm going to say anecdotal evidence is anecdotal, but you make a good point about you having to take the first step in integrating. However, as you may know this isn't an easy step. I'm not saying we have a problem because that step isn't totally eliminated for new people who come into the forums. There is obviously a level of personal responsibility. I think the problem is is that the RPC lacks that encouragement that gives new RPers the extra confidence to take that step.

I'm going to have to disagree with your second point, though. I don't think acknowledging someone as "beginner" or "advanced" is necessarily a sign of elitism or restricting of creativity. I don't think it's hard to tell where someone is in terms of skill level in creative writing based on what they put down on paper. Some people are more skilled than others in all aspects, that's totally unavoidable. It becomes elitist if you treat someone differently, have preconceived notions about them, or shun someone because of their skill level. And I'm not saying anyone here does that, it's just an example. Beginner RPer, while it also applies to people who are new to RPing, is mostly a judgment of skill level than anything. And, of course, skills can always be improved with help and willingness. As for the creativity comment I don't think saying an RP is Advanced or Beginner stumps creativity. While I did put up definitions for Beginner and Advanced above, they are in no way the rule. You can easily make what could be considered an Advanced RP but intended for Beginner audiences which is what I personally prefer, tbh.

I also don't understand the deflecting comment? What am I deflecting? I haven't been accused of anything? Aren't I trying to do something now by bringing up this issue and trying to facilitate discussion? If I had just said "PC sucks and this is why" and ended it at that okay. But I stated a problem and I opened the floor up to possibilities on how to fix it. As for making an Beginner RP myself, I do have a PMD RP in the works (almost done to, though someone beat me to it!) that was made with a beginner audience in mind. Though I will admit it was a bit muddled because I did also end up making it for friends who desperately needed to RP (though they have to compete just as everyone else does). The new PMD RP might help that a little, but...? I don't know, it really depends on interest and I have some backup plans for everyone involved just in case. Other than that I had an idea for a never-ending style Beginner RP to replace PTA since it seems like it's struggling a bit to survive. Though I don't think that what I'm doing entirely matters since I've taken the first step to make this a community mission. I can't fix the problems in RPC by myself. It takes everyone to do that.

As for not being around much. I have been around the forum since Atlantis Arising (with a three month hiatus in between). I just only come on to post in the RPs I'm in (mostly in JP format tbh) rather than post around the forum since I don't really have enough to say to make a big thread about it. That and I don't get the community vibe from PC at all. I know things have been changed and improved since then, but I don't get the same bustling sphere that I got during the times of Atlantis so I don't see many reasons to come on. The emphasis on Skype chats, I think, have made the place seem more empty. I know people make threads, but with the existence of the entire RPT Chat they seem more like attempts to keep the "main forum" from dying than anything. (Just an opinion, though. Not really anything that has to do with this thread). Other than that, I also have friends on PC that I talk to on Skype that only make their appearances for posts as well. And that whole "only joining friends RPs" thing I talked about before is a factor too.

I used to be apart of the RPT Chat but I wasn't too big of a fan of the discussions there so I left. Maybe if it was made into a true RPT Chat by going public I'd try to join again, but it wasn't my cup of tea. I might have been suffering from that not-getting-involved syndrome that you had but it's done and I'm not upset about it.

Also how could you get tired of something this cute????

I don't think that there is elitism per say, but I do think that there is a bit of a clique problem. However I don't really think that is something that we are able to fix, some people just get along with other people better than others, and that's just part of society. And as for using Skype, I think that can make people think that we are being elitist in some way, not including others in our conversations. But that can be a tool to use within a group of roleplayers as well, so I don't think that using Skype as an example of elitism is a good one...

However I think that the major problem that this place does have is a lack of more basic roleplays. I've gone on to a couple other sites for short amounts of time looking around, and from what it seems like a lot of other sites do is they have different difficulties in terms of the roleplays. They have one section for easy roleplays that are a few sentences to a paragraph where beginners can kind of get a hang for it, or where experienced roleplayers can go to do a more relaxing less demanding story. Then they had intermediate and advanced, each having more length and quality expectation required in each category. Maybe that's something that we need to do, try to cater to those who want to have basic and fun roleplays, as well as longer ones with more expectations required.

I know that for one is something that bothers me when I roleplay with other people is simply quality of writing. Maybe that is elitist of me, but I have roleplayed with people in the past with little things about them that just seem to get irritated at them, whether is was grammar or a garish CSS or their personality in or outside of the RP. Maybe that's something that I need to work on as a person, be more accepting of others in general including their mistakes.

I think the Skype problem goes back to what I was saying about the RPT Chat and the comments Retro Bug made. There is an RPT Chat, but it isn't publicly available to everyone. Sure it has been referenced, but if it was really public then there would be a stickied thread or dedicated posts advertising it. This only extends to the RPT Chat, though. Obviously Skype rooms for certain RPs should be exclusive to those RPs. The commonality and problem with cliques I have already discussed.

I have seen what you're talking about as well and when I see the lack of different kinds of rolplays in PC, a place that doesn't advertise itself to be only for one type of roleplay, it concerns me. I know that you can make whatever roleplay you want, but I think it's important to make spaces for less skilled writers to feel comfortable in and improve their writing without fear.

And no, I don't think your preference for who you roleplay with is a sign of elitism. Everyone has preferences. Elitism comes in with the way you treat others/your perception of others (and sometimes yourself) based on skill. Making more Beginner or Advanced or Intermediate RPs will help make it easier for you to get into spaces where you can RP with people at your skill level.

I wasn't going to join in with this, but I want to point something out regarding this, and only this.

I myself also do protest against become official, however my reason for this does not include the one you listed here. In fact, I would argue many people also do not feel this way. This is proven by the fact that a) anyone who asks gets in pretty much straight away b) people not even in the RPT have been added in at some point before. We aren't "selective" about who gets in, it's just we have to let them in if this isn't official.

The reason I myself don't want the chat to become official is because then the rules of the chat have to be hardened to mimic those of PC. And should that happen, a lot of the fun, banterous and quirky conversation we have would disappear.

Saying that we "select" who gets in suggests that we seclude people because we don't we don't want them around. The fact that there have been, and will in future be arguments and disputes in the RPT and RPB suggests otherwise. That statement is, in my opinion nearly entirely wrong, and sheds the entirety of those involved in the RPB in a very bad light.

I don't understand how picking the people you want to be in the chat isn't selective? And I don't understand the "hardened by PCs rules" thing. What is so strict about PCs rules that it wouldn't also automatically apply to the chat?

The notion that RPs are made for a certain group seems a bit crazy to me. There is indeed a group that seems to join each others RPs a lot, but in honesty, it's the group of 40~ active RPers that are in multiple RPs at the same time, and dedicate a lot of the time to this section, so a lot of RPs will have a lot of returning faces. Even RPs not made by people that are part of the active regulars here have multiple of these people in them, so I think it's more a volume thing. A lot of RPs here don't have a player cap, so the fact that people join each other's RPs doesn't create a problem there. People will flock to RPs they find interesting, and it helps if people they know are in it/GM it. But, generally, RPs with settings they are interested in are still joined, and there is without doubt room made for newer people to join in. As I said, literally every single RP I've been in, I've RPed with at least one new person, but most of the times it's more than that.

I feel like I mistyped something terribly, or forgot to make a point in this post, but I'm getting a bit tired, so let's just hope that I haven't, haha.

The stuff I took out I either addressed/agreed with but didn't want to take up space/think is a good suggestion for improvement.

As for the RPs made for certain people thing:

*DISCLAIMER: These lists are taken from the OP so please take into account any name changes. All of these lists are from RPs that are closed for applications/started/were made in 2015.

Spoiler:

There's variation here and there, but I think you can see there is a lot of the same people. It may not be intentional (and technically it's not against the rules) but it's happening.

If someone can't make a RP that garners interest for whatever reason, they should hold off and join another RP to whet the appetite. I personally don't recommend people seek out guides on a role-play forum on how to write because with my experience in other places it's the blind leading the blind, but someone can look at the original post of a successful or active roleplay and glean elements from there to compare with what they attempted, and hopefully learn from the differences.

If there are "elites" and you're bothered that you aren't "elite" at role-playing, then it sounds like someone wants to get in on an exclusive crowd, or go on a witch hunt to seek out and tear down the bourgeoisie they aren't a part of. True elitism in an rp group is shunning or actively shaming people however they can, only letting in their designated crowd of people while they make it a point to call themselves superior, or imply you are inferior with some shady tactics or outright blatancy to prevent the plebians from trickling in. Being good at writing amidst other good writers is not elitism. People who aren't confident in themselves to join a group that would otherwise take them in should they give it a shot should not call the people they put on a pedestal elites.

And, tbh, I am not that 90% statistic. That's poor rhetoric, jumping the gun by punctuating your argument with the accusation that anyone who may possibly disagree with you somehow doesn't count, as per your bogus generalization. As for me, I'm not an rp activist here. I don't care enough to be in something like a clique, especially not on some subforum for pretending to be a Pokemon Trainer, for instance.

A Pokemon forum with a role-play section has no obligation to coddle people with an assortment of writing guides for beginners. Someone wants to join a roleplay but they can't write well and want to learn how to write better? Well, if it isn't a learning disability preventing them, I'm sure paying attention in English class can help with how to improve one's writing skill. I'm sure someone can Google "how to write well" and get just as many expert journals from English professors, child-oriented worksheets from elementary school teachers, peer-level advice--helpful or just as uninformed--on public "answer" feedback forums like YahooAnswers or a separate RP site that pulls up in the search engine results.

Look, I'm just going to say right now, the only person who can boost their own confidence is oneself. Yes, there are boosters and slights in the form of other people, but if you don't have the drive to do it, or you have such fragile sensibilities, then how unfortunate. The encouragement you get on a role-play forum is in joining a role-play and interacting with the other participants, those whom you feel like you may have a level of understanding with, or whom you may admire. If you can't encourage yourself to jump in, it shouldn't be everyone else's duty to seek you out and swaddle the newborn. That's what introduction threads are for, that's your initiation to the community. That's your praise for your mere presence. Now, go out and connect. Be sociable on this text-based medium.

I thought the argument with your bae was that this forum isn't so friendly to beginners. If a beginner is not joining an advanced rp, then they are joining something more fitting to beginners. Then that's not a problem. Their desire for something lesser and creating/joining it solves itself.

I agree with the point that reserves with limited spots are a waste of time. I was surprised entering this forum that people here reserved and were allowed to. When I make a roleplay (I've yet to make one here and am hesitant for reasons not specific to this forum), I do not allow reserves. The issue with reserves is that people put in a reserve, and they forget about it, or procrastinate. Maybe they weren't really too sold on the rp, but they thought they'd get the inspiration to post a character later, and they at least would have a spot saved to make sure, whenever they get around to it. And then they don't kick their rear in gear until there's a notice that the reserve deadline has or will be met very soon, and then they throw something together last minute. Or worse, they rear their ugly head in to complain or seek pity. And GMs who are desperate for their rp to start with a full cast may even extend that reserve because they are hopeful, and that further denies entry from other potential participants in a space that would have otherwise been cleared up.

None of this would happen if people just post their finished applications when they have the time to. I, as a GM, don't like waiting on people and expecting them to keep their word and come around before my reserve deadline. I, as a potential applicant, don't care to see a full list of reserves in what appears to be limited spots, when I can have my application filled out in the same day of being completely sure of wanting to join.

But being intimidated to a role-play because a lot of people have already signed up is no one else's fault but the person feeling insecure. There are people who join late in the game. That is no excuse.

This is a niche subforum. You will have a certain number of people who are active and join a number of role-plays, some at the same time. Is it their fault of their interest? If you eliminate reserves, those names may very well still be there. What would be the alternative in that case, that they not be so active so as to let other people in?

Again, the parts I deleted I already answered.

As for the rest of this... I have to be honest I am confused by a lot of what is written here. So I'll try to take this one point at a time. Honestly, these leftover parts have me a bit disappointed that this is the most liked post. I was much more pleased by other responses to this, dissenting or not.

Your first point about no guides on a roleplay website. What? So you're saying that we shouldn't have roleplay guides because the people who write them don't know how to write well anyways? Is that what you're saying? I honestly hope not. Even if (in your opinion frankly) the guide isn't from the hand of God, anything that can help someone improve is helpful. You don't need to be the best selling author to make a guide. And suggesting that someone have to read through entire RPs to improve is also a bit ridiculous. First of all, if the guides won't be good enough then why would the RPs be good enough? Second, not everyone has the time to read an entire RP and imitate what they see to improve when a guide works just as well. I really don't even like the implication that writers who want to get more skilled should just copy the things more skilled players do. While borrowing what you like is always helpful, writing style is a big factor to anything you produce that's written. You shouldn't just copy what someone else does on the false pretense that since that person is good you have to write like them to get better. Unless you're talking strictly grammar and the rules of the English language (or whatever language you're writing in) that's just completely untrue.

Also, I don't understand how thinking someone is a better writer than you is seeking to join an exclusive crowd? Is it because the word "elite" is being used or??? Just because you want to get to the level of a more skilled RPer doesn't make you "bourgeois-seeking" or whatever analogy you were making here.

As for the elitism here I'm just gonna address it now since I skipped over it in previous posts. I made this comment because I remember commentary about being better writers from people here in the forum. Maybe that is just a feeling I got from the forums after I heard that. I don't know, but that's where it is coming from. And it was a while ago as well, so I'm not saying the people/person who said it didn't change their minds.

So for the 90% thing, not really sure where the "those people don't count" thing came from. I never even said that. If that's what you got out of it, sorry. I more meant to say that if you're within the clique you're more likely to say it's not a problem. That's what people do, especially if they feel attacked by something. Honestly, by some of the comments, I think people thought I was trying to attack whoever I thought was in the clique. Maybe in some attempt to tear them down, but that is far from the true. However, being in a clique somehow mean your opinion doesn't matter. If that was the case why would I even post the thread? I mean, 90% is a lot. I think it was clear that was more of an exaggeration than an actual testament to the problems in the RPC. Especially since this discussion isn't even supposed to be ABOUT the clique thing in the first place. Honestly, it was just supposed to be a supporting point. After that I think you just went even way more off base. I don't think anyone here is an RP activist and the whole "especially on a subforum for pretending to be a Pokemon Trainer, for instance". This is just? What? I really don't understand this inclusion and honestly this sounds a bit elitist. Is there something wrong with being on a subforum about Pokemon? Because you make the idea of having a clique here sound ridiculous and silly. Like having a clique is more worthy in a "more sophisticated" or "more realistic" RP setting. I honestly really hope this is not what you meant.

I'm also really hoping you just had bad word choice for the bolded part next. I bolded this because this part was a shocking to me with what you said. Are you really implying that someone might not be good at roleplaying because they have a disability, don't pay attention in their English classes, or need to review elementary level worksheets? Seriously? You can't be serious and I really hope you're not. You do not need to actively bully someone to be an elitist. The things you say and the things you do determine that as well and this frankly sounds really elitist to me. Honestly, it does. I'm even more shocked that you would use a guide off of another RP site as possible help even though you already said it doesn't help. Or even imply that someone could easily find or even need to find scholarly articles on creative writing techniques as an alternative to members of the RP forum they're already on giving out advice. Roleplay forums may not be obligated to do anything, but that doesn't mean it's not a good thing to do. What's wrong with being helpful and improving the site as a whole?

And like I've said before, yes, getting connected to people is also a responsibility of the person who wants to be involved. However, saying "oh well too bad for you" or assuming that person is fragile or infantile is pretty insulting when giving out an extra helping hand isn't backbreaking work and something the members have said they would do anyways.

"I thought your argument with your bae..."? What? I'm not sure if this is supposed to be sass or sarcasm but I really need you to hold it back. I do have a name you can call me by. Unless this is some jab at the fact that we're friends? In which case this is even more confusing. And the argument still is that the forum isn't friendly to beginners. If there aren't Beginner RPs to join then where do they go? Off site? Your point didn't prove anything except that we might potentially be losing members for the forum. I would think the problem was solved if I wasn't also convinced that we want people to stay in the RPC.

Okay, next bolded part. WOW! I'm not a fan of reservations either, but this was totally uncalled for. Reserving a spot doesn't make someone lazy or uninspired or whatever you were trying to say by this. This is extremely insulting to anyone who likes using and allowing reservations and I really think you should have thought this through before you said it. I think this part is just as, if not more, elitist than the last bolded section. Not reserving doesn't somehow make you the better person and reserving doesn't make you detrimental to an RP as you implied.

And I think Quest may have worded this part a bit poorly here or maybe that was how he felt about it. With how quickly people are accepted here on RPC, a full set of reservations almost guarantees that the RP is going to be full straight away. People rarely drop or miss their reservation so another person can jump in. It's even less likely that you'll be accepted despite a reservation. Not signing up because of that isn't a weakness or whatever you are trying to imply here.

With 50+ RPers here in the RPC (according to Ice's post) I don't think it's unrealistic to expect to see more than a couple of faces around here. Especially with the high level of traffic the entire site gets. I think it's really really hard to believe that out of the thousands of people on PC, less than 100 have the desire to RP.

Anyways, that's the end of the replies. I'm sorry if I got a bit aggressive at the end there, but that just really turned me around. If I didn't address something here please tell me about it so I can get to it, but I think I got everything.

If everything is cleared up now I think we should focus this thread more on how we can improve the beginners situation on the website rather than the whole clique thing. (Again, that was not the point of this thread). I think by talking about this we can make a better situation for everyone here at RPC. Even if things seem fine now, if there's a possibility of improvement I really don't see why we shouldn't take that chance!

Kikpanther

Years
  • Okay, there are some things I want to get done the rest of the time I'm awake, so this is the last time I'll post here today. Besides I really want people to get their responses in just in case I need to make another super post.

Again, JohnnyMustang, I really don't understand what you're saying and I'm not 100% sure you read my post? I already said that I was making a Beginner RP and I had another one in mind so? And I already said that fixing the problems in RPC is not a one man job, you need the community for it. So again, I really don't understand this post. And please show where I cast blame. I don't really remember saying "this is your fault", "RPC is like this because of you guys".

I didn't even say anything about the correct way to make RPs. I absolutely didn't imply that everyone had to start making RPs right now immediately. That seems a bit ridiculous doesn't it? The point is that we start improving, not gear up right this second and do a complete overhaul in an hour.

I also really don't understand how discouraging cliques makes my school a dictatorship but okay. I also already acknowledged the whole existence of cliques thing which makes me wonder even more if you actually read the entire post. In fact, I think I did that really early on?

Also most RP forums have categories like this one. You really just have to go to other ones. Idk if it's still active but RPG Directory was a good place to find RPs and they use a lot of these categories. Though I will say that their grading system is a bit too strict for my liking.

Years

• Honestly, I don't understand what you want. You've gone on and on about people who disagree with you offering nothing but anecdotal evidence, but quite frankly I think all these people - several of whom are quite new to the RPT - saying they had no trouble getting involved with others etc indicates a trend towards inclusiveness that you are simply choosing to ignore. The only person in this thread who hasn't got anything to support their claims is you, because despite your continuously telling us that we aren't beginner friendly, beginners are straight up saying otherwise. On matter of "beginner-friendliness" I'm more inclined to listen to what the beginners have to say.

The only "evidence" you've brought to this discussion is a list of a few RPs that have several - although not merely as many as you made it sound - of the same RPers. Which did nothing but prove that this section has a dedicated core of regulars much like the World of PokeCommunity, the Underground or even the Treehouse. Are we supposed to not let regulars play in the same RPs together? Is that what you're getting at? Because as long as I have any say in the matter, there will never be restrictions on who you can RP with.

You talk a lot about "beginners" and "advanced" RPs too (and occasionally intermediate) but I don't understand what you're on about there either. I get what each of those categories is meant to imply and entail sure, and I admit I can see that some of our RPs might be a little intimidating to people who aren't too sure of their abilities. I don't know what you expect to be done about people putting a lot of effort into creating complex and exciting settings and stories though. I would also love to know which active RPs you consider not to be beginner friendly, or to be beginner friendly. Do you want us to start segregating RPers based on their writing ability and incorporate tags/sub-sections like these other RP sites? That's not going to make (our already friendly and inclusive) community any more beginner friendly, it's going to get in the way of people forming friendships and it's going to create grounds for actual elitism to exist.

I think it's high time you give us a straight up, blunt answer as to what you think needs changing with the RPT. I'm not saying write another massive overly-complicated essay, don't tell me what you think the problem is either because you've done that plenty. Narrow it down to a couple of sentences - what do you want us to change?.

Once you've done that maybe I can understand you better and we can at least get on the same page, because being totally honest it looks to me like you're complaining about a problem that isn't there and complaining about a non-existent problem amounts to nothing more than complaining for the sake of it.

GreyBidoof

You used a Master Ball on the GreyBidoof!
    Years
  • [...] but anecdotal evidence is only that. Anecdotal.

images

I think we can all see that the majority of the RPs here are made and joined by the same people. Whether it be because of cliques or because of intimidated beginners, that has to be a sign of a problem, right?

Let's take a look, then!

As for the RPs made for certain people thing:

*DISCLAIMER: These lists are taken from the OP so please take into account any name changes. All of these lists are from RPs that are closed for applications/started/were made in 2015.

Spoiler:

There's variation here and there, but I think you can see there is a lot of the same people. It may not be intentional (and technically it's not against the rules) but it's happening.

So, from of this list, we have:

- 13 roleplays
    - 10 different GMs
    - 143 player characters (Assuming each player only had one. I think I counted this right)
    - 74 individual players.

Don't believe me? Here's the players list you provided, without repeated names.

Spoiler:

In addition, none of the RPs had an identical player list.

It would seem that rather than "variation here and there", that each group is it's own entity, with a unique player list and theme.

That's the statistical data that's been provided so far.

You were saying, then?

Jauntier

Where was your antennas again?
    Years
  • So this thread got me a lot of notifications so--happy day!--people actually care. At least a little bit. I was partially afraid no one would respond, but you guys proved me wrong. I am a bit disappointed in the direction the discussion went, however. I do like that we're discussing this whole clique issue but it was not the point of this thread, more so the point of it. The fact that it became such a big topic makes me think that I may have hit a sore spot in the aforementioned clique, but I think all of that can be solved while making PC a better place for beginners. Also I'd like to apologize for taking so long to respond. I have a lot of responsibilities (that I'm currently ignoring to respond to this) that I have to fulfill.

You're disappointed in the direction of the discussion because the majority disagree with you, I take it.

And then you think it's because a specific "clique" decided to come bumrush you all at once because you just really struck some kind of nerve, you think.

You end with restating your terminal solution of "just make PC a better place."

I will only address your response to me. Everyone else can hold their own, but there's not much to hold against:

Again, the parts I deleted I already answered.

As for the rest of this... I have to be honest I am confused by a lot of what is written here. So I'll try to take this one point at a time. Honestly, these leftover parts have me a bit disappointed that this is the most liked post. I was much more pleased by other responses to this, dissenting or not.

If my post has so much agreement to it, then perhaps you should consider why, if you can move beyond yourself to do so. Your sole confusion while many others understand clearly enough to agree shows an obvious disconnect. My post is in the same vein as the others. Most of the people in this thread agree with each other. Unfortunate that that agreement is not in agreement with you.

Your first point about no guides on a roleplay website. What? So you're saying that we shouldn't have roleplay guides because the people who write them don't know how to write well anyways? Is that what you're saying?

I did not say there should be no guides. I said I personally do not recommend guides to beginners because in my experience, it's the blind leading the blind. That is to say, the people who put forth these guides write just about as well as their peers, with just as many flaws and faults. And yet, they often try to assert their way of writing as the better way, and are not comprehensive in the way that encourages branching out from these guidelines they purport like rules. Serebii's role-playing forum is a great example of how thinking so highly of one's skill and putting forth guides in an effort to have others improve their writing can actually pigeonhole users who are not confident in their abilities.

Even if the author of the guide isn't putting in such a tone in their writing, you do have users who just think guides are book and law anyway, and their way of learning because they are so dependent is through emulating as closely as possible what the guide says. That's an issue of a deeper root.

I honestly hope not. Even if (in your opinion frankly) the guide isn't from the hand of God, anything that can help someone improve is helpful. You don't need to be the best selling author to make a guide. And suggesting that someone have to read through entire RPs to improve is also a bit ridiculous.

I can already tell you're going to shove a lot of words in a lot of mouths.

My entire post is my opinion, so you don't have to remind me or others from this point on that our responses are our opinion.

No, you don't have to be a best-selling author to write a guide. Like I said in this post, the problem can come from people who are not apt to write one comprehensively or flexibly.

Where did I say people should read through "entire RPs to improve"? Not me. Did you read through my entire post? But really, if someone can't be arsed to read the original post of the IC role-play and the character apps to see what people are doing already, then they're just lazy. I have read children's books longer than the RP plot and the linked pages from its accepted applications list. Is reading that little so ridiculous? The answer is and will always be "no."

First of all, if the guides won't be good enough then why would the RPs be good enough?

How do you jump to these conclusions? Writing is a cumulative skill, a building of everything you've learned in practice, from the basics of grammar, mechanics, and syntax to reading comprehension and critical thinking. I don't suddenly read one or two guides on a Pokemon website to make a good role-play post. Writing to inform requires a different set of skills than writing to entertain. The presence of guides do not cause whatsoever "good enough" RPs--some standard that is specific only to you since what you think is "good enough" may very well be different from someone else's "good enough." Guides do not cause role-plays to be any better or worse overall. Again, I'll remind you, writing is a cumulative skill. What you bring to a role-play is what you've been shaping over years.

Second, not everyone has the time to read an entire RP and imitate what they see to improve when a guide works just as well. I really don't even like the implication that writers who want to get more skilled should just copy the things more skilled players do. While borrowing what you like is always helpful, writing style is a big factor to anything you produce that's written. You shouldn't just copy what someone else does on the false pretense that since that person is good you have to write like them to get better. Unless you're talking strictly grammar and the rules of the English language (or whatever language you're writing in) that's just completely untrue.

"Or whatever language you're writing in?" How about English. How about I'm talking about Pokecommunity's supposed issue, and PC is a site written in English. Don't turn this issue that you brought up into a scope that is wider than The Roleplay Theatre.

If you don't have the time to read, like I said, the original post and character applications, or even just a couple IC posts, then that's your problem. Don't read, then. Jump in. You either have enough confidence, eagerness, apathy, or obliviousness to join a role-play, regardless of whether or not it's "advanced" or for "beginners." Good. That's a non-issue. Otherwise, people time-manage, people ask GMs about posting deadlines, and people pick role-plays that if it's already started seem to have a pacing that would suit them.

You don't have to copy what people do. What did I say about making writing peers and connecting with others? There is nothing offensive about finding an element of someone else's writing you enjoy and employing or putting your own twist to it in your own writing next time. This synthesis is natural. This is how people learn about ways of writing they otherwise wouldn't have thought of or come across themselves: through reading and analyzing.

Also, I don't understand how thinking someone is a better writer than you is seeking to join an exclusive crowd? Is it because the word "elite" is being used or??? Just because you want to get to the level of a more skilled RPer doesn't make you "bourgeois-seeking" or whatever analogy you were making here.

You said: There is an air of elitism and clique-ishness here that says "if you're not in the group, you're not in anything". I addressed that. I did not say that merely thinking someone is better at writing by one's perception is in turn they looking for the in-crowd. That wasn't even relative to your statement of elitism and cliques, when you're talking about being a part of social circles. Nothing about writing. You're conflating things and confusing yourself. You should re-read my post because I cannot explain it any clearer than that.

As for the elitism here I'm just gonna address it now since I skipped over it in previous posts. I made this comment because I remember commentary about being better writers from people here in the forum. Maybe that is just a feeling I got from the forums after I heard that. I don't know, but that's where it is coming from. And it was a while ago as well, so I'm not saying the people/person who said it didn't change their minds.

This doesn't concern me.

So for the 90% thing, not really sure where the "those people don't count" thing came from. I never even said that. If that's what you got out of it, sorry. I more meant to say that if you're within the clique you're more likely to say it's not a problem. That's what people do, especially if they feel attacked by something. Honestly, by some of the comments, I think people thought I was trying to attack whoever I thought was in the clique. Maybe in some attempt to tear them down, but that is far from the true. However, being in a clique somehow mean your opinion doesn't matter. If that was the case why would I even post the thread?

Some people aren't very good at reasoning. Some people can't predict the possible consequences of their words and expect people to agree with them, and when people explain very well how they don't, some people express a general disappointment and admit a lack of understanding as to why or how, and try to counter a number of people at once in an effort to stand their ground, badly confusing themselves in the process, having things go over their head and the like.

Case in point: in saying that anyone who disagrees with your point on cliques is 90% likely to be in that clique, you just mindlessly alienated anyone who disagreed with you on an unfounded, assertive assumption. And then you want to say, well, why would I post this thread if their opinion didn't matter--the opinion that I just dashed by accusing opponents of not understanding the problem, because they're comfortable in their position as the problem? The problem, so you don't get lost, being cliques?

I mean, 90% is a lot. I think it was clear that was more of an exaggeration than an actual testament to the problems in the RPC. Especially since this discussion isn't even supposed to be ABOUT the clique thing in the first place. Honestly, it was just supposed to be a supporting point. After that I think you just went even way more off base. I don't think anyone here is an RP activist and the whole "especially on a subforum for pretending to be a Pokemon Trainer, for instance". This is just? What? I really don't understand this inclusion and honestly this sounds a bit elitist. Is there something wrong with being on a subforum about Pokemon? Because you make the idea of having a clique here sound ridiculous and silly. Like having a clique is more worthy in a "more sophisticated" or "more realistic" RP setting. I honestly really hope this is not what you meant.[/i]

Obviously you exaggerated the numerical value of your bogus "statistic." That's not the point. The point is that you are claiming that people who disagreed with your statement had a large probability of being ignorant of the issue because they were involved in it, or in other words, implying they were a part of the problem.

I went off base, you say? I respond to what I understand accordingly. It's alright to take the blame every once in a while and say that you worded something improperly, because I took what you wrote as you wrote it and replied, and a number of people agreed with my interpretation, so perhaps it's not me being way off base as it is you didn't explain yourself well.

You think it's elitist that I am not bothered to pursue a clique on a forum for pretending to be a Pokemon Trainer? Ha ha. You want to know why it sounds silly? Because it is. You were complaining about Pokecommunity's The Roleplay Theatre having the feel of a clique, Kikpanther, and now you want to turn around and say I'm sounding elitist for not wanting to be a part of a clique on a Pokemon forum.

To quote: If that was the case why would I even post the thread?
    If I were so elite about a Pokemon subforum, I wouldn't even be here, Kikpanther.

You can't strawman me with that Something wrong with being on a Pokemon subforum? Even worse, somehow you're trying to say that I think cliques are for sophisticated internet sites. You put up a strawman and then you tied a fishing pole to it to dangle a red herring. I have not read something this confused in a while. I seriously encourage you go back and reread my post.

I'm also really hoping you just had bad word choice for the bolded part next. I bolded this because this part was a shocking to me with what you said. Are you really implying that someone might not be good at roleplaying because they have a disability, don't pay attention in their English classes, or need to review elementary level worksheets? Seriously? You can't be serious and I really hope you're not.

You said there are "very little resources that help unskilled writers get better".

A learning disability does make it hard to, you know, utilize resources that help unskilled writers get better. Yes, that's right, people like that exist, people who have learning disabilities and difficulties that will make it more of an obstacle to hone their writing. Yes, it's shocking that I acknowledged them, isn't it? They aren't a demographic so often considered.

If you don't pay attention in English class or you know you're struggling with some topics and don't seek tutorship, yes, that level of writing carries over in someone's role-play. Writing is a cumulative skill.

Now you're being facetious. What does elementary mean? If you're offended that people sometimes need to go back and review some rudimentary or foundational aspects of English grammar, mechanics, and even syntax, then get off your high horse. Even I go back sometimes to refresh my memory on things like parts of speech, phrases, and clauses.

You do not need to actively bully someone to be an elitist. The things you say and the things you do determine that as well and this frankly sounds really elitist to me. Honestly, it does. I'm even more shocked that you would use a guide off of another RP site as possible help even though you already said it doesn't help. Or even imply that someone could easily find or even need to find scholarly articles on creative writing techniques as an alternative to members of the RP forum they're already on giving out advice. Roleplay forums may not be obligated to do anything, but that doesn't mean it's not a good thing to do. What's wrong with being helpful and improving the site as a whole?

What I said about elitism: True elitism in an rp group is shunning or actively shaming people however they can, only letting in their designated crowd of people while they make it a point to call themselves superior, or imply you are inferior with some shady tactics or outright blatancy to prevent the plebians from trickling in.

Again, your quote about how there aren't any resources for writers on Pokecommunity's The Roleplay Theatre, I said a Pokemon subforum is not obligated to creating writing guides for "beginners". I shared my experience and reasoning even in this post as to why I'm hesitant about user-written guides. Then I provided examples of where someone could get the help they needed if someone really wanted to have a guide on how to improve their writing. This chain of response is not difficult to understand unless you're intentionally attempting to twist my words against me. And yes, people can find scholarly articles on writing on the internet. Professors make their money from publishing academic journals online. You can find .PDF files of many topics if you type in the right keywords. You can even log on to your local library's database and peruse or order books and articles to loan. Nothing is out of reach. We live in an age of information. Utilize it or keep finding excuses.

And like I've said before, yes, getting connected to people is also a responsibility of the person who wants to be involved. However, saying "oh well too bad for you" or assuming that person is fragile or infantile is pretty insulting when giving out an extra helping hand isn't backbreaking work and something the members have said they would do anyways.

You just agreed with me that connecting with other people is also the responsibility of the person involved. Good. Agree that ultimately the initiative lies with them since other people are not checking every profile of the names viewing the board to ask if they are trying to join a roleplay and are a "beginner." It isn't backbreaking work to be new and approach role-plays either.

"I thought your argument with your bae..."? What? I'm not sure if this is supposed to be sass or sarcasm but I really need you to hold it back. I do have a name you can call me by. Unless this is some jab at the fact that we're friends? In which case this is even more confusing.

I read signatures. I quoted "your name" in the same post. Restating what you two call your own relation is not a sarcastic sassy jab. I really need you to hold it back.

And the argument still is that the forum isn't friendly to beginners. If there aren't Beginner RPs to join then where do they go? Off site? Your point didn't prove anything except that we might potentially be losing members for the forum. I would think the problem was solved if I wasn't also convinced that we want people to stay in the RPC.

I suppose you could make your own, then. You have demonstrated that you do not understand the opposing rhetoric as to why other people do not A) see or believe there is such a thing as "beginner" and "advanced" role-plays by whatever criteria you have or have not offered, B) believe there is an air of elitism and clique culture, C) believe there needs to be doting or a concerted forum effort to find and create these "beginner"-tier roleplays for people who let themselves get shy or intimidated.

Okay, next bolded part. WOW! I'm not a fan of reservations either, but this was totally uncalled for. Reserving a spot doesn't make someone lazy or uninspired or whatever you were trying to say by this. This is extremely insulting to anyone who likes using and allowing reservations and I really think you should have thought this through before you said it. I think this part is just as, if not more, elitist than the last bolded section. Not reserving doesn't somehow make you the better person and reserving doesn't make you detrimental to an RP as you implied.

"Reserving a spot doesn't make someone"--

This is where we stop. You with rephrasing something to become a causation, again. How you get to this point is a mystery. I'd offer you to reread my post again to understand what I said, but I'm beginning to think you can't.

And I think Quest may have worded this part a bit poorly here or maybe that was how he felt about it. With how quickly people are accepted here on RPC, a full set of reservations almost guarantees that the RP is going to be full straight away. People rarely drop or miss their reservation so another person can jump in. It's even less likely that you'll be accepted despite a reservation. Not signing up because of that isn't a weakness or whatever you are trying to imply here.

I think at this point I'm writing for the reader and not specifically to whom I'm responding. If you read my previous post, you see my points about, right? I didn't imply the last line in any way, shape, or form, no? Good. I'm glad you understand that I was stating an issue I've found specific to sustaining reserves, my feelings about sustained reserves as a GM and as a player, and how I feel it could be avoided by doing away with them.

With 50+ RPers here in the RPC (according to Ice's post) I don't think it's unrealistic to expect to see more than a couple of faces around here. Especially with the high level of traffic the entire site gets. I think it's really really hard to believe that out of the thousands of people on PC, less than 100 have the desire to RP.

You get upwards a thousand guests on PC looking at any and everything, not necessarily members and just browsing for their own reasons, unable to post. Then we have a couple hundred registered and logged in users doing the same thing, but posting. Yes, it's believable that a handful of these members are into something as niche as writing role-plays. PC doesn't sell itself on posting role-plays. It's a giant source to go to for ROM hacks and tools and resources concerning them. That is, if not one of, its major appeals.

If I must be so frank--as if I wasn't before, this thread, much like the responses I addressed, is confused, and may even so quickly perceive offense. I feel this was a venting thread that tried to make itself look like it was open to discussion. Instead, it's buffeting, only to turn right back around and re-assert the first post and proposals. Circular. Unproductive. So since this has the fanning of a vent thread, the original poster should just outright tell everyone what she wants to happen since she will not hear other propositions trying to figure out what would please her. And I do say what would please her because the tide of this thread is noticeably against her, as in making this thread, she is taking on the stance to advocate for new players where new players have said to her that they were welcomed just fine, and old players who returned said they got over themselves and then felt welcomed.

To the person who managed to get through all the rubbish of back and forth and you ended up here, let me tell you, don't be afraid to take the first step and reach out. Moderators or role-players whose posts you've read and admire, have some confidence to ask some questions and make a peer. The only person who can make yourself known is you.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Just in addition to all these other points, can I point out that there actually are resources for new or struggling RPers? They're located in the Starter Pad - a location I personally feel should be a rather obvious place for beginners to check out (although this is something we are looking into).

For anyone who hasn't noticed these resources they can be found here.

SV

See You Space Cowboy
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2022
    Hi, I'm SV.

I'm still around PC and the RPT as a Roleplayer, though I wouldn't say I'm as active as I once was. Kikpanther's pique activity was at about the same time mine was. At that time, one could argue it was pretty, as the phrase was used here, 'elitist'. That's because there actually were groups who excluded and who tried to create more advance RPs to play among friends or certain people.

Kikpanther doesn't visit PC as often as she used to, but she still pops on here, and her coming here and believing that it still has traces of this 'elitism' might have something to it.

In my opinion, 'elitism' or 'cliques' may not exactly be the right words to describe it, but the RPT has definitely evolved. Single posts are a thing of the past in many roleplays. Not entirely for the wrong reasons, and not entirely for the negative. True we do have skype groups now, and pads for joint posts. These are actually pretty great things. It makes communication easier and posts go by faster.

But there is an element of exclusion to them. Not everyone is going to be receptive to skype groups, and pads. It took our very own gimmepie a while for him to get on skype for our One Piece skype group, for example. Others in my RPs refused to get skype, or to use JPs, and relied on single posts. Most of these happened to be newer players. I wouldn't say all, but it happens.

So the real problem comes in when we do run into a roleplayer who wants to join an RP, but doesn't want to go through the process of getting a skype or joining pads for whatever reason that may be. Obviously, a GM should accommodate, right? But you can run into various problems because of that. Conflicting posting, exclusion of people doing singles and those in joint posts, not enough info about what's going on. The GM could act as the liaison between the two sects, but you can already see a problem here.

Or we can try to get them to join in the skype, jp fun. This could be intimidating. I've seen it happen before. Some leave the RP because of it. I wouldn't say this happens often. Usually, people are more than happy to join in on the fun this way. Take it from the fresh faces who posted here, for example. But let's not deny that there is some difficulty with meshing these two different RPing styles.

Is this cliques or elitism? I don't really think so. Maybe in a sense, but what we really have is two different evolving systems that are converging on one another. It's a system of convenience versus a system of preference. They won't always mix together.

Possible solutions? Maybe give people heads up (as I'm sure many do) about skype groups and joint posting. Try to get new people more comfortable with it too. Show them examples, be supportive maybe! Honestly, I don't think it should be made into as big of a conversation as we made it here. Not that this wasn't entertaining to read (well, the parts I did read. You guys write a lot). We could also try to accomodate those who don't want to be apart of the skype stuff but still want to be in the RP. Again, I'm sure good GMs already do this, but hey, worth mentioning again.

If any of my ideas were repeated previously or if this doesn't entirely relate to the topic at hand, apologies. I just wanted to state a few things on my mind as well.

-My name's SV, and I approve of this message.

Ice1

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    images

Let's take a look, then!

- 13 roleplays
    - 10 different GMs
    - 143 player characters (Assuming each player only had one. I think I counted this right)
    - 74 individual players.

Spoiler:

It would seem that rather than "variation here and there", that each group is it's own entity, with a unique player list and theme.

You were saying, then?

Building off of this, this is only the active RPer list. A lot of RPs have people come and go a fair bit. Gunpowder for example, has been really "beginner" - friendly. It was the first RP for me and aeternum, but we're just the new blood that stuck. There have been over 20 players or so in that RP from all different amounts of experience. Other RPs had this too. Stars of Sinnoh mixed experienced people and new people, Redux is bringing us a lot of incredible new faces, I've heard Trumpets allowd for it too. The thing is, the new people that stick quickly become regulars, join multiple RPs and after a week or two you're just part of the RPT. They show up on the list multiple times, because they quickly joined different RPs after their first appearance.

I also have some comments about how Kikpanther distuingshes between "advanced" and "beginner", because it's honestly hard for me to put the RPs here in those categories, considering the traits aren't once that go together all that much. My break is ending though, so I can't go into detail until later, haha, or my boss'll get mad.

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
    Years
  • However, I don't think PC likes to behave like a space for beginner RPers. Instead, we have a lot of advanced RPs that intimidate our less skilled members and make it hard for them to improve and branch out.

At first, if you're really new to the area, I understand you would feel intimidated since everybody seemed to know everybody. You would stalk a player's profile and you would see another player having lengthy conversations about things that are not RP-related. You would see how are you's in real life and join long-existing conversations on Skype. However, this has been formed through a bond of thousands of RPs. Just jump into one, know the area, meet some people. All of us are more than willing to help new players. We can't make them take the fall, but we sure can catch them.

Also, I designed Trumpets to be really beginner friendly. While I am not really the most easily-accepting GM, I tried to point out flaws on SUs and areas on improvement. If that isn't helping out in learning the straws around here, I don't know what is.

Kikpanther

Years
  • Posting a lot earlier than I expected to. This is really just an attempt to get the thread on the topic it should be: Making RPC a better place for Beginners/Improving RPC.

images

- 13 roleplays
    - 10 different GMs
    - 74 individual players.

Spoiler:

You were saying, then?

I was told that I didn't really display this information correctly. I really just took all of the threads from the first page and put them together, but this apparently wasn't a good idea since the people in older threads are not active on the RPC anymore.

I've edited the list in the quote. Some names are taken out because they're only found in Odyssey. Other than that, names crossed out are people who have not been active in the RPC for at least a month. Marks have been put on other names for notable absences. Names labeled not accounted for are users that for some reason no longer exist. The ones labeled dummy are because the user statistics did not match what is shown on the forum (for example, Icy was shown not to have visited the forum since 2005).

I think this cuts down the list of unique users quite a bit. I found this information using the search user function (http://www.pokecommunity.com/member.php?username=(usernamehere)). I was going to add more information, but I realized it wasn't helpful.

------

Gimmiepie I'm addressing your post here since I accidentally deleted what I said. I really don't want to write it again so here's the important stuff:

What I mentioned in this thread:

-Stickied welcome thread so new users can show their faces.
    -Public RPT chat either through Skype or a client like Discord. Allows for meeting new people, having discussions, and passing ideas easily.
    -Updated RP guides and more created RP guides. Update existing ones with more detail, I'm sure the authors have new experiences they can share to help others by now. A wider range of topics would help not only beginners but existing members as well
    -Encourage the creation of more beginner RPs. If they're made by advanced rpers, having an environment for positive growth should happen (not required ofc).

Things I didn't mention but still can be done:

-More RPC-wide events (like the RPOs) that encourage meeting new people, collaboration, and all that good stuff.

I think that was it. If I remember more I'll put it in this thread (I might have had one or two more) another time.

-SNIP SNOP-

I'm choosing not to continue this with you for reasons, one of the biggest being that I don't believe letting it go on and on will really help the discussion out. If you for whatever really REALLY want a response I'd suggest trying to Skype thing or use another medium altogether.

I also have some comments about how Kikpanther distuingshes between "advanced" and "beginner", because it's honestly hard for me to put the RPs here in those categories, considering the traits aren't once that go together all that much. My break is ending though, so I can't go into detail until later, haha, or my boss'll get mad.

The way I distinguish advanced is beginner is from what I have observed from other RPing mediums. It's more of an easier way to say "unkilled writer" and "skilled writer" than anything. If the connotation of beginner and advanced is really that bad you and no one else is obligated to use it of course. It's just a convenient way to quickly get the point across.

Also, I designed Trumpets to be really beginner friendly. While I am not really the most easily-accepting GM, I tried to point out flaws on SUs and areas on improvement. If that isn't helping out in learning the straws around here, I don't know what is.

You're doing fine. :)

Okay so that's all of the responses for now. Maybe it's because I'm tired, but if I didn't respond to something it's because I didn't think it necessarily warranted a response.

Last edited:
    Years

• I'll get back to you on your individual requests later, for now I'm just going to point out your list is still flawed. Firstly, you've forgotten to account for name changes having disregarded several people that have been active but have simply changed their names.

Secondly, your treating people who haven't been active for a week or so the same as people who have been absent for months, that makes no sense when many of the active RPs are quite slow moving.

Thirdly, people who have only just returned obviously still count just as much as anyone else. You yourself being case-in-point.

Ice1

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023

I'm going to address multiple of your statements, and I'm going to also suggest you talk to some people that have been more active here because things that you propose are either happening, being discussed, or have been publically rejected as bad ideas. The crossed out version of your members list is also wrong, as multiple of those people are actually still active here.

The welcome thread does in fact already exist, in the form of the starting pad. Any questions are free to be asked there, related to technicalities, or just to get to know the place. And on top of that, as long as a thread doesn't take on a DCC-like nature, there isn't much of a limit as to what threads can be. There is a lot of possibility for newer people to talk to others her and get their name out there.

Writing a guide is a lot of work, and being in RPs already added onto that doesn't make it so that a lot of people have both the will and time to do so. I personally would love for there to be more guides, but realistically, people share the reasons as to why I haven't made one: time, motivation, and trust in personal skill. But I do encourage anyone to make guides! If you feel there is a need for them, I'm going to suggest you make them yourself, because otherwise they won't appear. If the visible need for it is small, there won't be much provided, as people don't see the need to write these guides. Past guides and resources have not been that active, and tend to sink to the bottom quickly. The last resource we had here has not been used, and the last guide has a very low amount of views, even though it was advertised for a while, and is now intergrated in the starting pad. While the things are really nice to have, because they absolutely will help someone, I don't think they will actually serve a purpose for the biggest part of the people that visit here.

Using your definition of beginner RP, I can actually pick out a lot of them. Keep in mind that posts being longer than a paragraph or two does not mean they have to be, and I can't see a single one that actually has a minimum post length, so that's a factor I don't account for. Post length is really just personal preference.

The ones that fit your definition are:
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon
    Melodies of Gandala
    Redux: The Sinnoh Stories
    Trumpets: Hoenn chronicles
    Once Upon a Time
    And of course, Pokemon Trainer Academy

I'd include Gunpowder on that list too, but that one doesn't anymore, since it's not open for sign ups anymore. For a long while, though, that did fit the definition completely. But even without Gunpowder, the list of RPs that suit your definition is 6 long, which is a good number, I'd say, considering there 15 RPs that have had posts this month.

We just had an event, actually! It didn't get that many actual posts in, but initial enthusiasm was great, and I loved writing for it. The way I set it up was as a test run for an event system in which we get rid of winning. Basically, events go from player v. player to player v. the rp, in a way that awards points for making posts. It takes away the competitive edge, allowing people to try it out without being scared of not being up to par and therefore not achieving anything, or feeling like they had lost. The new version just awarded points for creativity, posting, and interacting, and the emblems people received were santa getting fitter and in better shape the more points people got. There's a goal, but there is no winning state, allowing for people to casually enjoy it, and they can be as unexperienced or experienced as they are without fear of losing. We certainly wanna do more events and continue the frequency that has been said by previous years. Too many events just burn people out, in all honesty.

We've actually had an RPOlympics this year, the turn-out, partly do to me own fault, was just very bare, and the events were generally more suited for FF&W than the RPT in my honest opinion. If it'll return is something I don't know, it might do in another form, or just at another time period than it was last year, we'll see. It's not like we have a huge need for events currently, as we're always working on something, but as I mentioned above, you don't want to oversatifsy the section. Personally, I'm not huge on the RPOs because of their scale, and prefer something more cooperative and allows for more casual participation, that doesn't overload people with the sudden appearance of multiple events.

The way you distinguish between beginner and advanced is not something I'm against in concept, it's just that the classifications you've made are things I don't agree with. The RPs I've seen with shorter posts are the ones that are actually quite plot heavy, and require a lot of dedication, while the longform RPs for example allow for a more casual RPing experience. I don't think post length has anything to do with it. I've discussed it earlier today, albeit not here, but I think it's honestly just subject matter. People that make an account specifically for the RPT are probably in search of a pokemon RP, and did not join in the hope of there being a magic cowboy or supernatural historic RP here. People that join for other parts of the forum and decide to check the RPT out later might be less inclined to be specifically out for a PokeRP. They might be, but they might also just check the section out for the notion of RPing, and not for RPing on a pokemon forum. What I notice is that the Pokemon RPs attract new blood more easily than the Other RPs, no matter what classification they would receive.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    We have that in the Starting Pad. Perhaps it could be made less intimidating though? We have an idea up for discussion about that right now, so this isn't something we're not thinking of in the forum lead.

-Public RPT chat either through Skype or a client like Discord. Allows for meeting new people, having discussions, and passing ideas easily.
    Sharing ideas and discussing RP things was exactly what the Theatre was created for! The reason all the roleplaying is now done in subforums is so that we can have a bigger spot than one stickied "DCC" to discuss general things in. You can basically make a thread on anything RP related here, even of the casual friendly kind. Heck, I've made "one-liner" RPs in the Theatre just to bring some coziness and we had lots of fun imo c: a Skype chat, I don't see as necessary for the reasons you state here. Which might also explain further why there was just a big friend group consisting of roleplayers from here, rather than an officially sanctioned extention of the RPT. But the skype group thing too is being considered atm, so let's hope we can decide something that is the best for our community.

-Updated RP guides and more created RP guides. Update existing ones with more detail, I'm sure the authors have new experiences they can share to help others by now. A wider range of topics would help not only beginners but existing members as well
    If you think there should be guides, make guides! And tell your friends to make them c: it's not the job of the moderators to supply lengthy resources for the RP community, rather it is certainly up to each and every individual to helo out with that and push others in the right direction if they see that a change shiuld be made. Basically: be the change you want to see.

-Encourage the creation of more beginner RPs. If they're made by advanced rpers, having an environment for positive growth should happen (not required ofc).
    Again, be the change you want to see. Talking about it in a thread like this might help some, of course, as it makes people aware of a solution to a possible problem. Let's hope it does help and people keep it in mind c:

-More RPC-wide events (like the RPOs) that encourage meeting new people, collaboration, and all that good stuff.
    This, I'd say are constantly working on! We have several ideas in store, and any RPT member is welcome to suggest events of course, so we can fit them into our event schedule~

All in all, I don't think the problems you have touched upon are big enough to be riled up about, but there is also nothing wrong with always striving towards a better section. Let's hope something good comes out of this.

Kikpanther

Years
  • Now that I've actually gone to sleep I've come back to address some things that I forgot to re-add to my previous post. I had written a reply to JohnnyMustang that got deleted but forgot to rewrite what I left out. Sorry to Mustang for that, didn't mean to disregard your statements. I'll also rewrite what I had to gimmiepie before the deletion in the same reply.

I also forgot to add in another statement that was deleted. If anyone still has an issue with whatever point or answer to a statement from the previous conversation, please send me a private message either through here or Skype to further discuss it. Or make another thread. If you don't have my Skype then you can get it from someone else on the forum. I really don't want to put it here.

If you're already doing it; then what's the problem? You said that main point of the thread was that there wasn't a beginners RP.

You can't expect a general enthusiasm just by making a thread. As I said; creating a roleplay takes a lot of time. I'm pretty sure everyone wants their RPs to be as cool as it can be.

Also, I know of absolutely 0 beginners intimidated by the "advanced RPs" I was one of them, and I one of four other users that saw a ropleplay they liked and automatically applied for it. Two of them being non-native english speakers, as I am. I would like to know where are you getting the idea that new users feels intimidated by said RPs. What I do know is that some feels intimidated by the use of CSS.

What I can say is that maybe, GMs should be a little more flexible about grammar and stuff; given that the PokeCommunity is a world wide forum and there will be new users that do not speak english very well, like me.

The point of the thread was that RPC isn't as beginner-friendly as it should be, not that we don't have any beginner threads. If I just wanted at least one then, yes, making one myself would have instantly solved the problem.

When it comes to beginners being intimidated by advanced RPs, the initial start of the thread was based on my observations elsewhere. People who don't consider themselves skilled writers and don't have the same confidence as you or others who just jump into RPs do find advanced RPs intimidating. I have seen this throughout my time RPing. This issue might not be as common on PC but that isn't true for a lot of RPing websites. We don't know where our new RPers are coming from. For whatever reason they're intimidated, the point is that they are intimidated and we should give them the confidence boost that they need to really integrate into RPC.

I'd like to go into say that this is the problem with anecdotal evidence. It's useful and it shouldn't be disregarded entirely, but anecdotal evidence rarely disproves a claim. The argument here is that RPC doesn't actively encourage intimidated beginners to really get into the forum. If you were never an intimidated beginner (or new member to the forum or whatever we're going by) then your experience doesn't necessarily make the claim untrue. It's evidence against the claim, but it doesn't disprove anything. What I said would really be in trouble if everything that came out of this was purely hypothetical and not a single person ever felt intimidated by the RPers here on the forum. However, about as many people who were intimidated by PC when they came around have spoken up just as the people who aren't intimidated. The fact that people spoke up about being intimidated helps my case. Sure, the members were able to integrate into the RPC eventually by their own confidence, but (for the most part, if I remember correctly) they did this on their own, not because they were encouraged by the RPC which further helps what I'm saying. I don't think that it would be unreasonable to say that if these members didn't possess their level of confidence they may not have been as connected in the RPC. The point of this thread is to help members who are not as confident as you, not cater only to the ones who are.

The biggest argument in this thread against this is that it's not anyone's fault if a user lacks the confidence to become part of the RPC community. That's true, but I think it's a bit insensitive to leave them on their own when a few changes to the forum could give them the confidence to get into the community. Especially if everyone is as willing to help as they say they are. I don't think we need to wait for someone to put themselves out there before we try to encourage and befriend them.

I'll get back to you on your individual requests later, for now I'm just going to point out your list is still flawed. Firstly, you've forgotten to account for name changes having disregarded several people that have been active but have simply changed their names.

Secondly, your treating people who haven't been active for a week or so the same as people who have been absent for months, that makes no sense when many of the active RPs are quite slow moving.

Thirdly, people who have only just returned obviously still count just as much as anyone else. You yourself being case-in-point.

I'm sorry but I don't think this can really be counted as a genuine statement. The edited list I received was made out to be accurate by both GreyBidoof and Ice. It was called the active users list. If that was the case, all of the information on it should be accurate. If there is a known name change or duplicates then that should be edited into the list to reflect the reality of the membership for the RPC. If you consider me a member who only just returned you can't honestly expect me to know every single name change that may or may not be on the list or know which RPs are slower than others. I showed where I got my information from. Based off of the searches the re-edited list is accurate. People who are crossed out that have logged in the forum recently are crossed out because they haven't posted in the RPT for over a month, which I stated. I don't think you can honestly be considered an active member in the forum if you have been absent for a month unless you've been working on a single post for an entire month. I haven't crossed out any other names other than those, so I don't understand where you got the "treating people who have been gone for a week the same as people who have been gone for months" idea from. People who have notable lengths of absences (which are all over a week with the exception of one person) have their last post noted. They aren't crossed out. They're still considered somewhat active members, but it reflects the current state of the membership here if they have been absent for a long time.

If the list of active users was inaccurate the moment GreyBidoof gave it to me I don't see how you could expect for it to be suddenly accurate when I edit it based on the information I was given. I also don't see how you could expect me to know who changed their name when and to what if you think that I've only just returned to the forum. Honestly, I've been on the forum since at least 2013 and since the creation of the RPT Chat on Skype I've only really tried to keep up with people's Skype names. I only keep up with usernames if they're someone I regularly talk to. Even if I was posting as often as everyone else, if I don't talk to everyone on the forum regularly, I'm not really sure how I'm expected to keep up with every single name change.

The welcome thread does in fact already exist, in the form of the starting pad. Any questions are free to be asked there, related to technicalities, or just to get to know the place. And on top of that, as long as a thread doesn't take on a DCC-like nature, there isn't much of a limit as to what threads can be. There is a lot of possibility for newer people to talk to others her and get their name out there.

The welcome thread exists within the Starting Pad, but it goes largely unnoticed. If you look at the thread you'll see that the only introductions there are from returning members, not new members. That makes me think that people don't see it as a welcome thread or don't notice it unless they've been here since about mid-2015. You could also argue that people don't want to introduce themselves, but I think that would be better proved by making a dedicated Welcome thread (preferably one that directs them to our resources) apart from the Starting Pad. Other than that I only see that the Starting Pad has been used for general questions about the rules (which makes me think they should be updated (if they already haven't been) to include those answered questions) more so than anything else.

The Starting Pad's lack of activity may also be because it's not properly advertised. As much as I love the idea for the Meta Thread, I think a list of rules and guidelines is a much more important link for users to see no matter where they are in the forum.

E: For the statement about talking to more active members, I don't really see where the things you listed have been talked about publicly. I might not post everywhere but I do look at the threads. I know a lot of this happens in the RPT Chat which is why I think it should be more public. A lot of creativity happens there.

Writing a guide is a lot of work, and being in RPs already added onto that doesn't make it so that a lot of people have both the will and time to do so. I personally would love for there to be more guides, but realistically, people share the reasons as to why I haven't made one: time, motivation, and trust in personal skill. But I do encourage anyone to make guides! If you feel there is a need for them, I'm going to suggest you make them yourself, because otherwise they won't appear. If the visible need for it is small, there won't be much provided, as people don't see the need to write these guides. Past guides and resources have not been that active, and tend to sink to the bottom quickly. The last resource we had here has not been used, and the last guide has a very low amount of views, even though it was advertised for a while, and is now intergrated in the starting pad. While the things are really nice to have, because they absolutely will help someone, I don't think they will actually serve a purpose for the biggest part of the people that visit here.

I honestly don't think a guide being a lot of work to make is really a good excuse not to make one. Nothing good comes without hard work, after all. I'm sure someone might be willing to make one if the need for one was advertised. As for trust in personal skill, that can easily be backed up by research if it must be. If we aren't all confident that the information will be accurate then we can have a requirement that guides need to have some backing behind it (out of site guides, for example) to be posted. What would be even less work is to find a list of guides online. There are thousands of writing help guides out there and you can find really good ones with a little digging. We could easily link to these guides to help out users who don't know where to start. Whether it be with their own writing or with how to research RP guides for whatever they need.

The low amount of views may owe to the low amount of users we have, but I don't think that's a good reason not to make the guides. The guides will help anyone who views them and that should be good enough. All of the guides don't have to be about grammar and syntax. There are many more aspects to RPing (as you know) that can help beginners and current members with their RPing skills.

Using your definition of beginner RP, I can actually pick out a lot of them. Keep in mind that posts being longer than a paragraph or two does not mean they have to be, and I can't see a single one that actually has a minimum post length, so that's a factor I don't account for. Post length is really just personal preference.

The ones that fit your definition are:
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon
    Melodies of Gandala
    Redux: The Sinnoh Stories
    Trumpets: Hoenn chronicles
    Once Upon a Time
    And of course, Pokemon Trainer Academy

I'd include Gunpowder on that list too, but that one doesn't anymore, since it's not open for sign ups anymore. For a long while, though, that did fit the definition completely. But even without Gunpowder, the list of RPs that suit your definition is 6 long, which is a good number, I'd say, considering there 15 RPs that have had posts this month.

As I said before, the definitions of beginner/advanced/intermediate are based on what I have seen in other RP spaces. Even there these definitions are not strict rules. Beginner RPs don't have to fit every single point to be a Beginner RP. Some Beginner RPs are Beginner RPs because they're targeted towards beginners. Other Beginner RPs are Beginner RPs because they're made by someone who has never made an RP before/doesn't have a lot of skill in making an RP.

I'm pretty sure I stated this before but the definitions I listed were general, not absolute.

I'm glad that we have some Beginner RPs on the forum now. Though I do know we have Beginner RPs. Maybe I didn't make this totally clear, but I'm more focused on the active encouragement of the creation of Beginner RPs. Not just that they exist. That means though the forms of guides on making an RP/world building/plot building/NPC building to help people who don't really know how to make an RP start off strong. I also mean that in more advanced RPers making Beginner RPs that focus on plot and improvement. Obviously, I don't mean they have to do this. Anyone can make whatever RP they want to. That's why I have been focused on encouragement and not force.

Though I do kind of think we need a new PTA. I know Yellow is trying to keep it alive but it doesn't look like posts come in as often as they used to? It is sad to see the end of a legacy but I think it might be ending. =/

We just had an event, actually! It didn't get that many actual posts in, but initial enthusiasm was great, and I loved writing for it. The way I set it up was as a test run for an event system in which we get rid of winning. Basically, events go from player v. player to player v. the rp, in a way that awards points for making posts. It takes away the competitive edge, allowing people to try it out without being scared of not being up to par and therefore not achieving anything, or feeling like they had lost. The new version just awarded points for creativity, posting, and interacting, and the emblems people received were santa getting fitter and in better shape the more points people got. There's a goal, but there is no winning state, allowing for people to casually enjoy it, and they can be as unexperienced or experienced as they are without fear of losing. We certainly wanna do more events and continue the frequency that has been said by previous years. Too many events just burn people out, in all honesty.

We've actually had an RPOlympics this year, the turn-out, partly do to me own fault, was just very bare, and the events were generally more suited for FF&W than the RPT in my honest opinion. If it'll return is something I don't know, it might do in another form, or just at another time period than it was last year, we'll see. It's not like we have a huge need for events currently, as we're always working on something, but as I mentioned above, you don't want to oversatifsy the section. Personally, I'm not huge on the RPOs because of their scale, and prefer something more cooperative and allows for more casual participation, that doesn't overload people with the sudden appearance of multiple events.

The way you distinguish between beginner and advanced is not something I'm against in concept, it's just that the classifications you've made are things I don't agree with. The RPs I've seen with shorter posts are the ones that are actually quite plot heavy, and require a lot of dedication, while the longform RPs for example allow for a more casual RPing experience. I don't think post length has anything to do with it. I've discussed it earlier today, albeit not here, but I think it's honestly just subject matter. People that make an account specifically for the RPT are probably in search of a pokemon RP, and did not join in the hope of there being a magic cowboy or supernatural historic RP here. People that join for other parts of the forum and decide to check the RPT out later might be less inclined to be specifically out for a PokeRP. They might be, but they might also just check the section out for the notion of RPing, and not for RPing on a pokemon forum. What I notice is that the Pokemon RPs attract new blood more easily than the Other RPs, no matter what classification they would receive.

Was the event you just mentioned stickied? Admittedly I only have time to really look through PC on the weekends because of my schedule, but I haven't seen anything about an event. Maybe I just didn't notice it? And did it not get a lot of posts because other people didn't notice it or because there wasn't a lot of interest?

And I know we've done an RPO for last year. I participated in it. I was using it more as an example than to say we should do it now. I understand the existing problems with the RPOs.

I also disagree that subject matter has much to do with post length. I don't think people would be less inclined to make long posts just because it's about Pokemon. I also disagree many people don't come here because they don't want to RP about Pokemon since we have a pretty good amount of non-Pokemon RPs. Sometimes that becomes the majority. If the problem might be that people don't want to RP Pokemon then I think the RPC should better advertise that any type of RP is allowed here, not just Pokemon.

We have that in the Starting Pad. Perhaps it could be made less intimidating though? We have an idea up for discussion about that right now, so this isn't something we're not thinking of in the forum lead.

I don't think it's intimidating as it is unnoticed.

Sharing ideas and discussing RP things was exactly what the Theatre was created for! The reason all the roleplaying is now done in subforums is so that we can have a bigger spot than one stickied "DCC" to discuss general things in. You can basically make a thread on anything RP related here, even of the casual friendly kind. Heck, I've made "one-liner" RPs in the Theatre just to bring some coziness and we had lots of fun imo c: a Skype chat, I don't see as necessary for the reasons you state here. Which might also explain further why there was just a big friend group consisting of roleplayers from here, rather than an officially sanctioned extention of the RPT. But the skype group thing too is being considered atm, so let's hope we can decide something that is the best for our community.

While the Theatre generates some nice discussion, I think RPT can be more than just a place that you post discussion topics. What about the community part where you just talk to friends and pass around RP and character ideas casually? It's not really that convenient to make an entire thread about one little idea, especially if it's not that fleshed out and you only want a few opinions before moving on to the next subject. I think making a public chat will also cut down on threads that have nice questions but don't garner much interest outside of a few people. Topics that have a lot of good input will be put in the Theatre when everyone sees how popular the discussion is.

Someone posted earlier that they liked how organic the RPT Chat was versus the forums. Why not give that to everyone? There seems to be a reluctance to "give up" the RPT Chat, but I don't understand why it has to be that way? If there's a friend chat then there's a friend chat. Just make a real RPT Chat also. I don't think we have to lose a potential space to cultivate discussion and friendships just because the majority of the people who would be in that chat would also be in the friend chat.

Honestly, RPs here are leaning more towards discussion on mediums like Skype. The actual thread posting part is becoming obsolete. I'm not saying you have to get rid of it, but I think the addition of an online chat is more in sync with the rest of the forum. I also think that a lot more talking will happen there than in the main RPT.

If you think there should be guides, make guides! And tell your friends to make them c: it's not the job of the moderators to supply lengthy resources for the RP community, rather it is certainly up to each and every individual to helo out with that and push others in the right direction if they see that a change shiuld be made. Basically: be the change you want to see.

I know it's not up to the moderators to supply anything. I'm not saying they have to do everything themselves. This is a proposal for an initiative to happen throughout the RPC, not just with me. I already said this, but I can't do everything by myself. If there's already the idea that guides are too time consuming to make you can't honestly expect me to make every single guide by myself right? With the 50+ active members here and the amount of people who have said they were willing to help, I don't really think this needs to be limited to just me and a couple of friends. Especially when a dedicated guide source (like a single thread or maybe some kind of newsletter format) as I would like to do would have to be discussed between the mods anyways.

This is about making ideas for us all to participate in as a community. Not things that I can do when I collect the spare time.

Again, be the change you want to see. Talking about it in a thread like this might help some, of course, as it makes people aware of a solution to a possible problem. Let's hope it does help and people keep it in mind c:

I've already talked about what I am/am not doing in this thread more than once. It ends the same way as the above. I can't do everything by myself.

This, I'd say are constantly working on! We have several ideas in store, and any RPT member is welcome to suggest events of course, so we can fit them into our event schedule~

All in all, I don't think the problems you have touched upon are big enough to be riled up about, but there is also nothing wrong with always striving towards a better section. Let's hope something good comes out of this.

I don't think they are either and I'm still not 100% sure why people got upset about this in the first place. This is just a call for change in the RPT. I think if there's a recognized area for improvement (and others have made their own suggestions earlier) then we should try to improve it instead of ignore it.

I'm hoping that this actually turns into an initiative instead of a long thread.

Last edited:

Oddball_

Magical Senpai and god of the closet.
    Years
  • I'm not going to bother reading each and every post because oh lord this is quite long. But from the original point, you say its not beginner friendly. I join the RP(C)T almost exactly a year ago. I had no idea what I was doing, but I went through, read the rules, looked through some of the current roleplays and then I found one that was just starting. This RP was Begin Again, made by our lovely mod Rika whom is Fire atm I believe. Now this was my first ever Roleplay, however I was able to figure out what I was supposed to do and any problems I did have, I was able to get cleared up by just asking somebody. So from personal experience, I'd say I disagree. If you actually take the time to read the rules and ask questions if you have them its very beginner friendly. You just have to be willing to actually put the effort into learning how to "play" the "game."

Ice1

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    I did in fact point out that your list was wrong. In it's current form it can be used for player count, but not for activity check, because of the recent name changes.

The starting pad actually is as stickied as the meta journey is, and it is pinned to the splash. The only way to get it more advertised is to make it active again, which will bump it up from being a top of the forum to slightly more a top the forum. The guides and different style of "beginner" RPs exist! Creating more RPs in a similar vain might spread the audience thin, which is an acceltable issue when it happens on accident, but I don't wanna promoto an abundance of RPs appearing.

As I said earlier, quick-paced short post RPs are actually way more hardcore, and less suited for beginners than something that requires anywhere from 500 words a post. The interaction works differently, in a way that requires an awful lot of commitment. Posting orders will pop up, IC pace is really high. Short post RPs either need to be low on interaction, or slow paced to be casual. I've heard from people with jobs who just got passed by in interaction, because their financial needs kept them from posting, basically.

I don't expect you to write all guides, luckily, haha, but I don't expect anyone to write guides. I'd say dedication and time is a very good reason not to do something when it's a casual hobby. If someone decides to write a guide, I will praise and advertise it, but I, or the other mods, cannot force people to write guides. We can help them make their guide visible once it exists, but we as mods come in at that stage. Of course we could reward emblems for writing guides, and I would in less than a heartbeat, but it's not a commodity people care for too much. This discussion might motivate someone to write a guide, though, just by bringing up guides, so keep your fingers crossed :p The amount of views is also not because of a low amount of users, for one because there aren't, and two because other threads in the same atmosphere get views that quadruple the counter.

6 RPs that fit your bill out of 15, and up till recently it was 7. That's just shy off 50%, which makes me curious. How many 'beginner' RPs are needed in your optic? I'm always happy to just see an RP in general pop up, no matter the level, so if the balance became so that it was heavily skewed towards "beginner", I wouldn't mind that at all. I don't see an explicit need for them, considering we have a bunch already. The encouragement isn't needed for something that doesn't exist in a shortage. Once there is one, we might look into that.

Yes! The event was stickied, and garnered 4 pages lf activity OOC, with RPCorner veterans joining and people who never RPed before. But, the holidays aren't the best time for people to get out their device and start typing, so it became difficult for some.

I also did not say anywhere that pokemon RPs tend to have shorter posts. I can't see where that came from, looking back at my post. Both Other and Pokémon RPs have had their share of incredibly long and quite short posts. What my paragraph there can be boiled down to is that people who join a Pokémon forum for the roleplay section are looking for Pokémon roleplays. If there aren't many pokemon RPs that are starting up, people are less likely to join. That's something this discussion has made me realize, we need good indication for wether an RP is accepting or not. I also think it's pretty clear we allow non-pkmn RPs, I don't know where that came from all of a sudden.

About casually discussing character and RP ideas, that's something we encourage and allow in the RPT! There actually are 2/3 RP ideas that people wanna discuss here in a fun and casual manner. That's actively happening, and I don't know why you'd say it isn't, if I'm being honest. All discussion is also getting active attention, and that combined with the meta journey is spiking up a lot of casual chit-chat in threads about the subjects. The thread posting part is not becoming obsolete at all, no clue where you got that from. Older threads get revived quite regularly, a new one pops up every two days or so, and the forum is really where I see RPing discussed the most.

Skype/Discord group is something that is being discussed for a while now! That's mod talk, though, not gonna let too much of that spill over.

And no, you can't do everything yourself, but maybe once you start something other people seem to get interested in providing too. Once you make a spark that shows there is interest in the stuff your anecdotally providing us with, other people might see the positive feedback it gets. Currently this thread provides us with the opinion that these changes are needed, but no actual show off it, considering everyone argued against it. Once there is evidence of it, people might change their mind. I think people here, and I will fully include myself in there, just fail to see there is an issue. I don't think anyone is saying that more guides and RPs would be bad, and I'm not assuming you do either, but I do think that people don't see the need for the RPT to heavily focus on that area, considering those resources exist already.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Someone posted earlier that they liked how organic the RPT Chat was versus the forums. Why not give that to everyone? There seems to be a reluctance to "give up" the RPT Chat, but I don't understand why it has to be that way? If there's a friend chat then there's a friend chat. Just make a real RPT Chat also. I don't think we have to lose a potential space to cultivate discussion and friendships just because the majority of the people who would be in that chat would also be in the friend chat.

Honestly, RPs here are leaning more towards discussion on mediums like Skype. The actual thread posting part is becoming obsolete. I'm not saying you have to get rid of it, but I think the addition of an online chat is more in sync with the rest of the forum. I also think that a lot more talking will happen there than in the main RPT.
    You have chosen not to be part of this skype chat, as I understand it, so... I don't quite see how you can be making any claims about it's activity and uses at all?

As for skype vs OOC in RPs, I myself always advocate for important updates and plans in my RPs being discussed in OOC threads where it persists and people can see it. That should honestly be standard.

Years
  • @kikpanther: I'm honestly failing to see why this discussion is still occurring. Every time I look in here, someone refutes your claims. Be that someone who is experienced and continuously active or someone who is quite new. The outcome is always the same though, everyone else on the planet besides you is wrong.

I appreciate your concern for the Theatre and I urge you and all our members to continue to do what you can to support the community. The fact everyone does their best to benefit the community here on PC is one of the reasons I love it here so much. At this point though, all that is going to happen from here on out is that people will continue to tell you that you're wrong and you'll continue to disagree and nothing will come of it.

As it stands everything you have told us that needs to happen is either already happening or is something that we mods are already discussing outside of the public eye. We have a dedicated place for resources, introductions and rules that is perfectly visible and obviously designed to be somewhere beginners should look - if they choose not to go there and introduce themselves or whatnot then it is their own fault. We are discussing the implementation of an official Skype/Discord room (I would much prefer Skype since I'm already moderating the Official Underground Skype chat amongst being parts of other groups). We have several guides in place and truth be told I am often thinking about writing more and we encourage our regulars to contribute to our resources. We are constantly planning new events, right now we have several events in the works and we often have regulars message us with their own ideas.

Everything you say we need, we have. What's more, we have no real demand for more of it outside of well... just you. I'm not going to close the thread or anything in case anyone has anything new they want to contribute, but personally I feel like we've pretty much come full circle now. Still, you might see some things we've been working on appearing in the near future so keep an eye out for that.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back